Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I adored this movie and I'm gonna bring a friend to see it this weekend, who's also hyped as hell.

For anyone reading this thread: please please please go watch Memories of Murder and Mother like right now. All of Bong's Korean movies are significantly better written and more interesting than his English ones imo, and I almost prefer Mother to Parasite, just because of the overall cohesiveness of the tone and the more subtle, nuanced and tragic ways it explores the violence marginalized people inflict on each other. Plus it's got some pretty strongly feminist themes if you know where to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Fritzler posted:

Also do we know which of the family hosed up the pizza boxes? Everyone seemed to think it was the dad but I wasn’t sure why.

I took that scene as a character moment. The point is that we don't know who it was, because none of the family are willing to rat each other out.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Gonna again post a reminder for everyone to watch Memories of Murder and Mother if they can bcs that poo poo rules

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yeah I mean if you define "theme park cinema" as anything that has clear themes and emotional twists and turns, literally any thriller counts. I haven't read The Scorsese Op-Ed but you need to be more rigorous than that if you're not just trying to separate ~real art~ from that NONSENSE that the proles love

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yeah she was completely innocent, her "crime" was a very sympathetic one. The Kims view her as an unfortunate but necessary casualty of Making It In This World, same for the driver - plus they remain blind to her own class background. Again it feeds back into the idea of their tragic downfall coming from a lack of solidarity against their real enemy. They do express some regret for their actions during the drunk scene, but justify them with "well they'll find other jobs, family above all!!!!!"

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

teacup posted:

I don’t think the message is that every rich person is irredeemably horrible. Also a message from a work of art can be about a group of people without being every one. And a dumb rich person on twitter can like it. There are levels to this poo poo, I mean is Christie Teigen not understanding parasite but still campaigning for women’s health and rights etc worse than someone who wants to stop those things?

The message is that the Parks are not individually the most morally reprehensible people on the planet, and that means jack-all in terms of their complicity in the system that oppresses the poor families. I'm sure Mr. Park makes lots of big tax-deductible charity donations, and maybe he champions teaching kids how to code or something. Both of these are nice, but they don't erase the fact that the Parks' wealth is immoral and unsustainable in terms of broader society and the onset of climate change. The rich may not be evil, but the system is, and they are willing participants until they actively fight against the interests of their class.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
On my rewatches the way I've seen Da-hye is as essentially the outcast of the family, and while she mostly is incapable of critically examining her own privilege, she sometimes is attuned to unfairness in her environment (I.e. da-song's acting.) She mostly views it as people being MEAN to her personally, and when she tells Ki-woo he "belongs" it's out of ignorance to the enormous class differential, but it's also genuine, and her connection with Ki-woo means that unlike the rest of her family she actually saves a member of the Kims at the end of the day.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Headscratcher: what does it mean that Kiwoo laughs during his arrest, trial and at Kijung’s grave, but doesn’t when watching the news about his dad

double post but eh

He laughs as a coping mechanism to avoid processing absurd personal circumstances, but he doesn't laugh at the news because of the way the incident and its perps are presented. it's stepping from personal to systemic, a reminder that the case will probably never be truly "solved" inasmuch as "solved" means "recognizing who is truly responsible and burning the system to the ground"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'd argue that parasite is completely a left-wing movie, and I'd also say that the theme is not "capitalism hurts everyone." The Parks absolutely are the Bad Guys of the movie, but it's not because they're individually evil people, in the same way that the Kims aren't protagonists because of their inherent pure innocence. The whole message is that the rich profit while the poor fight for scraps, regardless of whatever anyone's inherent morality is, and indeed applying morality to a sociological system like capitalism is inevitably misleading. The Parks are despicable because they more than anyone else have the power to effectuate change, but they don't, because they like reaping the benefits of power and privilege and are perfectly content to remain blind to everyone else's suffering. The Kims are complicit in propagating the system too, but unlike the Parks a single natural disaster leaves them homeless and destitute, which makes their perspective much more sympathetic. And Geun-se, the only character who attempts multiple premeditated murders, is also the most tragic and disadvantaged of them all.