Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The Host hasn't come up in here I don't think but some of the laughs reminded me of it a lot. Anybody who hasn't seen it is missing out, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The CG lets the Host down a little bit, but the good parts afternoon the parts with CG in them anyway

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The Min talk brings up an interesting point along the same lines as the others brought up in this thread in the way that both families deify him. Not sure what to make of it other than just general classism in that he was doing what was expected of him as A Good Citizen by going to college. I think Park's wife even references that he didn't really do anything for the daughter's grades but they liked keeping him around anyway.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Bottom Liner posted:

Am I the only one that read those lines as "I really wanted to gently caress Min"? It was more than a little creepy the way she talked about him IMO, and right in line with the dark humor of how he talked about her daughter.

I definitely read some weirdness into it because I knew what director I was watching and was waiting to see what the first shoe to drop would be.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I for sure get that, I just think the power the Kims actually have is effectively limited to spreading salacious rumors. They were confident it would work and they turned out to be right because of their knowledge of society, but their schemes could have very easily crashed down around them with even basic communication.

Also a key theme of the movie is how difficult that class solidarity is when you're basically being pitted against each other to the death (in the logic of the movie quite literally). Look how quickly the "innocent" housekeeper turned on the Kims when she got some power over them -- even tho pushing the send button would have meant her own downfall.

Yeah, not to excuse the Kims but the housekeeper was super pumped at the opportunity to deliver them to the Parks as scammers so that intra-class fighting cuts both ways, although you could argue that she's excited by the prospect of revenge rather than by some idea of regaining her status by alerting the Parks.

Edit: this made me think about something else-- the housekeeper is basically "old poor" servant class, having been with the house through two owners. She can't even recognize the usurpers as being of the same class.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 15, 2019

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've been operating on the assumption that the Park kid isn't even having seizures he just swoons for attention but now I can't remember why I think that other than it fits my idea of his parents babying him.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
All their hot daughters were throwing themselves at me left and right but I was all like, no

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

YaketySass posted:

My read of Ki-woo and Da-hye is that he was seriously deluded that her parents would ever put up with it if they found out (same deal as his dream of success at the end), but I have no context for how culturally accepted that kind of relation would be. It sounds like an overly improbable "crook has a brilliant scheme to seduce the rich heiress" type story to my ears, something that could never have a "happy" ending within the universe of the movie, not even getting into the fact that everyone involved has ulterior motives.

This actually got me thinking-- do the Parks view Ki-woo and Ki-jung as beneath them? They think that Ki-woo is an active university student and that Ki-jung is a college-educated professional. In their eyes wouldn't they be in a different league from the driver and housekeeper? What's the hierarchy at work here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Thundercracker posted:

That wouldn't have worked. The movie is clear that as soon as the housekeeper got leverage over the Kims they were gonna get hosed. Not the least because they poisoned her to steal her job.

Mrs. Kim also comes at her pretty aggro with the whole "don't call me sis" business, so as soon as the jig is up the housekeeper has them kneeling with their arms up while she gloats. She would have had to make the deal before the housekeeper realized they were scammers, if at all

Also that reminded me that when I saw this in the theater about 80% of the way into the movie someone in the audience had a lightbulb go off and said conspiratorially to their neighbor, "ohhhhh, they're scammers"