Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Film of the year for me, easily.

One aspect I liked about the set/production design and lighting was that the doorway into to the basement was always unnaturally inky pitch black. The homes of the wealthy sit on top of a labyrinth that they not only don't have to see but maybe don't even have the ability to see anymore.. When someone is beneath the rich, they don't even fade away, they just stop existing.

(Spoilers just in case)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
How did we read the Native American imagery? It was an interesting choice in a Korean movie taking place in South Korea. Obviously Native American imagery evokes colonialism, genocide, forced migration, forced conversion, etc. That video someone linked above mentioned that for them, it evoked the idea of how colonizers think they can get rid of indigenous people but those people always continue to hang on in the margins.

I was wondering if it was a play on the trope of building "white" society on Indian burial grounds, with the Park's house sitting on top of a sick, poverty-stricken worker. If the film is about who's on top of who, the image of colonists living over the bones of their indigenous victims seems pretty apt.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Per the discussion a few weeks back about the indigenous imagery, here's a fun take I haven't seen fleshed out like this before: Parasite and Neo-Colonialism

https://tropicsofmeta.com/2020/02/17/reading-colonialism-in-parasite/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

An excerpt so you can get the flavor:

quote:

As Korea’s present colonizer, the United States is implicated throughout Parasite. No single character exemplifies Americanness definitively. Rather, Americanness is an aspirational status. The United States’ presence is thereby marked by its absence, which paradoxically illustrates the totalizing nature of its hegemony. This is most immediately established through the use of English.

English is the contemporary language of capital; in Parasite, it delineates class and maps power. Ki-woo and Ki-jung, the Kims’ adult children, open the film with a search for their neighbor’s “WIFI” signal from their semi-basement home. Once they connect, they check for correspondence from “Pizza Shidae,” a pizza chain that contracts the Kims for “box” assembly. When the Pizza Shidae manager discovers poorly constructed boxes, she disciplines the Kims with a “penalty” for the harm that could befall the company’s “brand image.”

Every English word in the first five minutes of Parasite establishes the Kims’ class position in South Korea’s contemporary economy. The very first, “WIFI” refers to something the family doesn’t own yet relies on for their livelihood. “Pizza” and “box” indicate the products the Kims create as irregular workers. “Penalty” and “brand image” are invoked by the boss to discipline the family’s labor. From the onset, Bong and Han deploy English to chart South Korea’s neoliberal class system from below. Nearly half of South Korea’s workforce are irregular workers[2], the result of two decades of steadfast assaults on labor stipulated by the IMF in the aftermath of the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis.