Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Just saw this today and it's one of the most effective films I've seen in theaters. It's such a weird blend of comedy, thriller, and drama... and everything works. The comedy is funny, the sad parts are extremely sad, the thrilling parts are thrilling. It feels like a Jordan Peele film, except with better cinematography, and without the "hard pivot" to horror halfway through. It's really interesting how weird this film got without feeling like it pivoted genres... it just sets a path early on and then follows that through to it's insane conclusions. Everything works so well! Sooo many little things in the script pay off in the end... there are so many visual symbols that are consistent and work... just about every actor nails their role... overall it's just a really, really well made film in almost every regard. I hope it wins a lot of awards.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Flying Zamboni posted:

I haven't yet watched the video so maybe it mentions this but the part of the aftermath of the storm that jumped out at me was the mom telling her friends over the phone that the impromptu party was to move past Da-song's "trauma" from the previous night. It's a ludicrous way of describing having to cancel a camping trip especially in comparison to what the Kim family and their entire neighborhood went through at the same time.

What struck me about the post-storm scene was their complete and total ignorance. If they knew about the flood, they would likely express sympathy (which doesn't actually help)... But it's not even on their radar. They honestly have zero idea what the lower class goes through. And without basic awareness of the other side, how can things ever hope to improve?...