Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

fancy stats posted:

This feels to me like the movie Us Joker wanted to be.

Pardon the over animated Youtube guy talking to camera video, but this guy does a really great job of both analyzing Parasite and comparing it to Joker. Skip to 7:30 to get past him talking about Joon Ho's other films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWswz0EsI4s

I really loved this. It was funny, heart breaking, surprising, and thoughtful on top of the gorgeous production and expert direction.

Also regarding wealth making it easier to be nice in a lovely way; the dad was definitely intentionally portrayed as actively bad and not just naive like the rest of the family. He scoffs and literally turns his nose up on those beneath him, literally and figuratively, as well as the throwaway lines about "loving" his wife.

it's so metaphorical!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Close. The son tells the dad he’s going to make a lot of money and buy the house one day, which leads us into that scene in the future where it looks like he is legit doing so, then it cuts back to him writing the letter so it’s ambiguous if that’s a dream/fantasy or not.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Looking over his whole filmography, somebody should put their hand on Bong Joonho’s shoulder and ask him if he’s okay:

- you can’t trust America to fix things for you
- you can’t trust other people to fix things for you
- you can’t trust people who love you to tell you the truth or do what’s in your best interests
- you can’t trust paper records to be facts
- you can’t even trust your own brain to distinguish what’s the truth

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shneak posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the epilogue. I think I would have preferred something more realistic (albeit unhappy) rather than "and they were reunited and lived happily ever after" as the ending but I'm not mad at it.

Uh, did you miss the final scene after the fake happy ending? They're still in the same apartment, the son has brain trauma, the daughter is dead, and the father is in hiding at the end.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shneak posted:

Did I? I'm referring to the son and mom standing trial, him growing up and becoming rich enough to buy the house, and the last scene is the dad coming out of the bunker to them

No, the last shot after that cuts back to him writing that letter saying that's what his plan was, but showing that it was just a fantasy of how he hopes it would play out (it won't)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shneak posted:

My theatre never showed that :psyduck:

wtf!? did it go straight to credits?

pospysyl posted:

As far as "class conflict stories involving an underground lair" movies go, I can't help but think Parasite isn't quite as good as Us. Even though the plot is more logical and grounded, the characters and setting in Parasite are treated more as instruments to advance its central idea. They lack the personality and interiority of the characters in Us. Parasite is a movie meant more to satisfy, while Us is meant to actually challenge its audience.

I think it's more effective than Us in making the audience consider the content because Us is too obfuscated for most. I really like Us (even more than Get Out), but this was better at tackling the social issues it raises because it actually confronts them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Is Joon Ho loving with us?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, not to dive too deep into another movie here, but Us didn't connect with audiences because the theme was too abstract and nebulous in a way that Get Out wasn't. You can't watch Get Out and not understand that it's about racism, but a looooot of people just didn't get Us on any level. I think Get Out is too direct with its message and Us is too obfuscated, and Peele really needs to find the happy medium to take his work up to the level of greatness he's so close to.

Sad that this movie won't get anywhere near the number of viewers because of subtitles, being a foreign film, etc, because it's the kind of movie general audiences can connect to and will resonate with.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I mean, it's not like theaters roll a separate file for credits, if the film ended at that fade and didn't show the last part, that's just how the file delivered to the theater was :stare:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Might be stretching the five seconds thing but these come to mind. Mostly recent, but a few classics

code:
Inception

La La Land

Mother

Annihilation

The Mist

Whiplash

The Witch

The Favourite

The Shining (probably the best)

Call Me By Your Name

A Serious Man

No Country for Old Men

Planet of the Apes (maybe the most iconic)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think only the last shot really holds up today (and it is great). TCM never really worked for me, and not just because it's older than I am. Other than the clothesline and that last shot, it just never clicked for me in the way that other 70s horror films did. It's my favorite horror decade and I think an easy argument to make that it's just the best 10 years in horror in general, so I always feel like I'm missing something about TCM.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah that YouTube review I shared put it really well (in reference to Scorsese’s comments about marvel films): this movie was theme park cinema in the absolute best way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only thing that could’ve elevated the movie is if Min somehow turned up at the surprise party just to see the absolute carnage that would make absolutely zero sense to him.

I was sure that his return would be what would make poo poo hit the fan all movie.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

RichterIX posted:

I think Park's wife even references that he didn't really do anything for the daughter's grades but they liked keeping him around anyway.
Am I the only one that read those lines as "I really wanted to gently caress Min"? It was more than a little creepy the way she talked about him IMO, and right in line with the dark humor of how he talked about her daughter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah Sorry to Bother you went so far that it became farcical instead of satirical and it lost me then. This lures you in with the subtle and smart comedy and expectations before taking truly unexpected turns.

I thought it was about to go into a slasher film or something when the former housekeeper came back acting weird, especially since it had been established that the Parks' son was smart and onto the Kims and that the housekeeper had been texting him.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 11, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Segue posted:

A few people have compared it to Joker and I think both share a misanthropy that is just gutting, but Parasite is much more focused and coherent and soul destroying.

That's because the protagonist in Joker is completely removed from the social issues the movie raises and directly says as much multiple times. Todd Phillips thinks that just bringing up issues is the same as addressing them when in reality his lack of having anything to say makes using them more offensive than leaving them out entirely. Joker is all surface level to outright offensive with it's handling of everything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, the movie certainly makes you pull for them early, going as far as to show the life changing amount of money is completely i significant to the Parks, til the point where everything goes wrong and then they (mostly the father) do actual awful things, even though you still sympathize with his motivations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You got a lot wrong there to the point where I’m not sure you empathized with the characters at all, and I’m not talking only the Kim family.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’s very much a direct criticism of wealth and the haves vs the have nots. The rich people are definitely bad, just not intentionally so (arguably).

Everything the Kims and old housekeeper do is portrayed with empathy as a way to survive, and the lifestyle of the Parks and their wealth and general ignorance or disdain for those beneath them is vilified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I don’t think he gets shot with an arrow, it’s probably just a reference to the little kid and his cowboys and Indians themed birthday party.

he shoots random arrows through the house early on in the movie when we first meet him but they never hit anyone, its just another parody of typical sitcom posters