Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Hold out for a transfer!

So what did that critter actually do, if anything?

Fired a couple disruptor shots and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Hold out for a Cruiser. Get a D7 if you can. Maximum classics!

But man, SFC really dropped the ball on Monster encounters, but I suppose that's only natural given the format of the game. Monsters tend toward solo-play, and are puzzles you have to solve 9 times out of 10. The other time, it's just a slugging match. In SFC it's 10 out 10 slugging matches.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That Klingon restaurant clip is solid gold.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Hold out for a cruiser

Just it will take a long time to get up enough Political Points to be able to get a decent one.

My favorite Klingon ship to play was the Destroyer upgrades [spoiler]War Destroyers[/b] which I'm not sure there are in this era.

I just thought they had the best balance of options without being super complicated or getting the msot dangerous enemies. And were the most mobile but with decent firepower and shields.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The reason Klingon weapon arcs are offset like that is because SFB designed their Klingons based on the old, old 70s blueprint packs. If you put phasers where those blueprints put them, the big wide wings will block part of their arcs!

This resulted in the classic Klingon "sabre dance" playstyle and was genuinely fresh and interesting, so they're forgiven. It's also where drones/missiles come from. Lots of TOS ships mention having nuclear weapons in passing, even if they were rarely used on the show.

Also the shield facings work that way because, of course, they are the six sides of a plastic hex base.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Hold out for a hero cruiser

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

The reason Klingon weapon arcs are offset like that is because SFB designed their Klingons based on the old, old 70s blueprint packs. If you put phasers where those blueprints put them, the big wide wings will block part of their arcs!
That's one thing that SFC got better than SFB, was in dealing with the weird firing arcs given to the Klingons. At least the Federation ones were obvious. But seriously, gently caress trying to keep track of the D2.32 and D2.33 firing arcs without having the page out on the table.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Next update is recorded but I'm feeling a little under the weather so no post tonight.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The (very, very, VERY brief) rough tactic one uses for Klingon ships is the use of disruptors. Disruptors are generally long to medium range weapons with average recharge times. Klingons do not have torpedos though many have drones.

Klingon ships also tend to have the ability to turn quickly and disruptors have sweeping forward fire arcs at angles. So a Klingon ship will often move at high speed to engage, turn to fire disruptors from one arc, then the other, and then turn around to disengage to recharge.

Klingon ships also tend to have most of thier shield power forwards and weaker in thier rear arcs so thier disengagement tends to prioritize minimizing exposure to the rear shields where solid salvos can punch through them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Starfleet Command S1 E03: Soldiers of the Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=740Eo5J7S7g&t=9s

The front at last.

Finally, a worthy opponent!

Our battle will be -

Our battle will occur.

I'm still getting the hang of this "saber dance" but it doesn't really matter against a Romulan ship that barely has warp engines worthy of the name. While the Snipe theoretically has the stats to fight the D'k Tagh its engines just cannot provide the necessary power. The Warbird is a badly outdated ship but still powerful in some ways. The Snipe is like the frigate version of a Warbird, badly outdated but not large enough to still be dangerous, even at close range.

I'm making a lot of unnecessary loops as I try to turn this way and that to bring the weapons to bear. I think 21 is the right combat speed for this ship so that's dialed in.

Against a helpless opponent, there is little glory in destroying their ship. Instead, we must BOARD THEM AS WARRIORS! SLAY THEM IN HAND TO HAND COMBAT! BRING ME MY BAT'LETH!

NOW GET IN LINE, WARRIORS! THERE ARE ONLY TWO TRANSPORTER PADS!

AND THEY TAKE TIME TO RECHARGE!

THE WARRIORS OF THE FIRST WAVE HAVE ENTERED STO'VO'KOR!

SECOND WAVE, YOU SHALL ALSO HAVE THIS HONOR!

WHAT OTHERS MAY CALL POINTLESS BLOODSHED, WE KLINGONS CALL GLORIOUS!

During the fighting they finally get their plasma torpedo launcher working, so I move away.

The fighting reaches the bridge and I circle at the edge of phaser range.

FETCH ME A ROMULAN DISRUPTOR -- IT WILL MAKE A FINE TOY FOR MY CHILDREN!

It is time to take the fight into Romulan space.

A Romulan spy!

Aha! Perhaps the spy is in this freighter!

Oh. There are some downsides to power-napping on the way to the battlespace. This is the resupply freighter and probably was not the ship that High Command meant.

The D'k Tagh begins probing and scanning the area.

A Romulan frigate momentarily appears on scanners off the port bow. (I barely had time to take this shot, and did not register the speed reading.)

Further probes fail to re-establish contact.

Another Romulan contact! Or perhaps the same contact, but it would have to be moving very fast to reappear so far over here.

It is a single contact moving fast! A Romulan ship moving fast! I switch to tactical and plot an intercept course.

The what? This situation is not getting any better.

This new Romulan design is moving at maximum warp and is already outside disruptor range, even if the disruptors were charged which they are not.

(One of the weird SFB rules that carried over to SFC is the movement system, which makes every ship have the same maximum speed. Any ship which can put enough power into its warp engines can hit speed 31. This means that only the weakest or biggest ships can ever be caught in a stern chase.)

Whatever the Romulans have sent after is, it is also a new fast ship.

This light cruiser looking kind of ship is undergunned, but it's not worth pursuing further in any case. The spy is almost to the battle station and the D'k Tahg would never survive an encounter with a BATS.

There's also a Snipe class frigate here. This is a good example of how slow speeds can make a ship tactically irrelevant. The Snipe is very easy to avoid as it struggles around on impulse engines.

After the little tussle with the light cruiser the D'k Tahg is even further behind in the chase.

The situation is hopeless at this point.

High Command will have to be satisfied with new information on Romulan warships.

They are not. But what were those new Romulan ships with real warp drive?

A commando frigate is the perfect spy recovery vehicle. (I didn't take a shot but there were 27 Romulan marines on board. Boarding to recover the spy was not going to be an option in that mission.)

It was joined by a commando light cruiser. Maybe you could call this a destroyer instead.

Neither of these ships was much of an offensive threat against the D'k Tahg, but taking out both of them before the spy reached the battlestation would have been nearly impossible even if they had slowed down to fight.

Courage is not found only in victory! It takes courage to go on fighting after defeat.

Another Snipe. We'll take it!

This is another opportunity to practice tactics.

This Romulan frigate captain has a little more fight in him than the last!

The plasma torpedo does little more than knock out the aft shields.

After a few passes I send the warriors over to knock out the plasma launcher.

Hit-and-run attacks require much less commitment than a boarding action. The plasma launcher is knocked out and there's nothing left to stop us.

The Romulans at least go to their deaths without begging.

Service to the Empire brings rewards.

And rank has its privileges!

New vote, warriors! Retain the name Warhammer or vote for an original name. (If you want to suggest a name go ahead and reply with it, we'll vote for Warhammer or whatever else people come up with.)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 2, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Warhammer is sufficiently Klingon.

Not much to say at this point. We've been introduced to early Romulan ships. The Snipe is the Frigate, the Hawk Destroyer, the Eagle Cruiser and the Vulture Dreadnought. They all suck until they get tactical warp drive (limit of speed 1 on the map).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm a little saddened to find out that apparenty the Klingon word for Warhammer is... Warhammer. So instead, I'm going to vote for something keeping in the spirit of the name, but more thematic... the Bat'leth

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember capturing ships was really inconsistent in SFC2, which is the only one I've played. Sometimes it would give you crazy bonus Prestige, sometimes nothing.

I liked to do it anyway. Make them strike their colors and surrender!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Randalor posted:

I'm a little saddened to find out that apparenty the Klingon word for Warhammer is... Warhammer. So instead, I'm going to vote for something keeping in the spirit of the name, but more thematic... the Bat'leth

The Klingon for warhammer is veS mupwI' apparently.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
How about "Mek'leth"? It's a short, sharp Klingon blade roughly the size of a large knife. Memory Alpha says that it's primary purpose is cutting throats in close combat.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The Klingon for warhammer is veS mupwI' apparently.

Then let our ship be the veS mupwl'

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Edit: Removed Doublepost

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

How about "Mek'leth"? It's a short, sharp Klingon blade roughly the size of a large knife. Memory Alpha says that it's primary purpose is cutting throats in close combat.

MEK'LETH IS A FINE NAME FOR A VESSEL THAT DELIVERS TERRIBLE WOUNDS TO OUR ENEMIES! LET US TAKE IT AS OUR SHIP'S NAME! WITH OUR NEW VESSEL, WE SHALL BE LIKE A TARG AMONG A PACK OF TRIBBLES, FEASTING UNTIL WE HAVE SLAIN ALL THAT WE CAN! QAPLA, WARRIORS OF THE EMPIRE!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Night10194 posted:

I remember capturing ships was really inconsistent in SFC2, which is the only one I've played. Sometimes it would give you crazy bonus Prestige, sometimes nothing.

I liked to do it anyway. Make them strike their colors and surrender!

There had to be a specific trigger in the mission script to give you the bonus prestige. SFC2 was hella rushed (all development work went onto the new multiplayer campaign system) so not all the missions actually had that scripting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There are two votes for Mek'leth and two votes for some version of Warhammer.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

HONORABLE CHILDREN OF KAHLESS, REACH INTO YOUR FAMILY'S ARMORY AND WHAT SHALL YOU FIND? A HEAVY CHUNK OF METAL GOOD FOR NOTHING MORE THAN POUNDING NAILS? OR A BLADE THAT WAS USED TO CARVE OUR ENEMIES INTO BITS? WE KLINGONS HAVE LEGENDS TO CELEBRATE OUR D'K TAHGS, OUR MEK'LETHS, AND OF COURSE ALL HAVE HEARD THE STORY OF KAHLESS' OWN BAT'LETH! I HAVE EVEN HEARD THE TALE OF THE PAINSTIK, WITH WHICH WE TRAVEL THE RIVER OF BLOOD! BUT NOT ONCE HAVE I HEARD OF A GLORIOUS KLINGON WARRIOR WIELDING A TOOL FIT FOR ONLY FOR A CRAFTSMAN!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm convinced by the shouting. Mek'leth is a good, Klingon name.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I took a nap and had a dream where a Klingon had strong opinions about ranch dressing. Can't remember if it was for or against.

Anyway,

Starfleet Command, S1 E04: Battle of the Binary Planets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ti7S223v0

The IKV Warhammer, somewhere near the Hydran border...

I have no idea why this sensor contact showed up so far away. Maybe a Federation science officer would be able to tell me.

A Gendarme class frigate. The atom symbol on the target display is a fusion gun. Hydran fusion guns are outdated nuclear weapons, but they still do tremendous damage at extreme close range. Seriously, the damage scaling for fusion guns is crazy steep. At range seven they are useless, at range zero they do plasma torpedo damage.

Moments later a heavy cruiser appears on sensors.

This is a Hydran Ranger class. We can expect fighters. (Hydran ships come in two varieties, the cheaper fusion-armed ships that tend to carry more fighters and have less robust systems, and more expensive hellebore-armed ships that have better stats and less space for fighter bays.)

It will be important to maintain a high speed and engage them separately. Trying to tackle the cruiser, frigate, and fighter squadrons at once is a recipe for instant disaster. And instant disaster has far too much sodium for my taste.

As soon as we engage I start noticing some troubling power draw issues -- the phaser capacitor is not charging as fast as it should be and the disruptor recycle feels "sticky."

I make sure not to get drawn into a close range engagement with Hydrans.

There it is on the power screen -- 4.5 draw from somewhere, about 10% of the total ship's budget. It isn't sensors or ECM. I flip through the menus trying to find defense tractor beams turned on or shield reinforcements but nothing.

The cruiser opens fire outside effective range.

The new Mk IV missile warheads make short work of the frigate. Just in time too, because the cruiser has launched its fighter squadrons. Now the nightmare of a three on one engagement can't happen.

The ship is struggling to put out fire on the fighters and keep distance with the Hydran cruiser. Still that phantom power draw.

I try to separate the cruiser from its fighters with a mine and some maneuvering.

And it seems to be working!

I'm pouring a lot of firepower into these fighters, probably more than is necessary to kill them, but having to slow down and figher a Hydran cruiser at close range while it still has fighters is, again, inviting disaster.

Also the fighters just need to die before they can crawl up my butt and fire fusion guns, like this one is trying to do.

Finally, it's just a cruiser duel.

I'm going to try to do this saber dance thing everyone has not-at-all-subtly hinted that I should be doing.

Because I certainty don't want to get acquainted with those four fusion guns up close.

At range 7 they still aren't very frightening.

But the aft shields have already taken quite a beating.

Is this saber dance?

I am reminded that transporter bombs exist and decide to put that knowledge into action before it deserts me for another 15 years.

I decide to hit-and-run the fusion guns because staying out of their range is difficult to balance with the weapons and power draw issue.

Still flipping through systems trying to figure out what is drawing the power equivalent of two more disruptors.

The aft shields finally start to go.

Saber dance!

Let's pray that the Hydrans can't get the fusion guns back online in the next ten seconds.

I'm pretty sure this isn't saber dancing.

But I'm still winning.

Once again I decide to board the ship. (I was too panicked to take good screenshots but the Hydran ship got in some damage through the depleted aft shields and I wanted to get out of the fight.)

Our warriors take control of their ship. Fighting through methane atmosphere with blades and disruptors is glorious! Oxygen-breathers and methane-breathers teleporting onto each other's ships presents interesting safety issues... or MAGNIFICENT EXPLOSIONS!

This was by far the most difficult fight of Commander K'ohk's career and we got a paltry amount of renown for it.

The Captain's console display an eyes-only message.

Attempting to board Hydran fighters (don't do this btw) has used up all our marines.

A blooded Klingon ship deserves a rechristening.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 3, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I have no idea why this sensor contact showed up so far away. Maybe a Federation science officer would be able to tell me.
Federation Science Officer, Reporting for Duty! Don't mind the blood on my shirt, it was from the other guy. He objected when I told him I was here to relieve him.

Star Fleet Command automates many optional systems and rules from Star Fleet Battles, and you just walked right into D17.0 - Tactical Intelligence.

DON'T PLAY WITH D17.0, TACTICAL INTELLIGENCE. It's a headache and a third, and just isn't fun outside of special scenarios that everyone knows going in is going to cause playing headaches.

The basics behind what you're seeing is that you don't have perfect knowledge of your enemy. As you get closer to the enemy, your ship's sensors can gain more and more information about them. At the range you have here, 200+, you are in what is known as "Strategic Level S5", which is something you don't need to know because you should never play with this rule. At this range, you can determine the source empire of the enemy ship, as well as it's hull size. In this case, your ship could see that it was a Hydran heavy Cruiser, but couldn't tell if it was a Ranger, Dragoon, or Lord Marshal (is that even in SFC1?) because the sensor image was so bad.

As you get closer to the enemy, you can learn more about them. While you're close enough (range 4 or less), you can actually determine the charging status of their weapons.

It's a stupid system. Don't use it. In SFC it basically lets you know roughly what's coming for you so you can prioritize your engagements in what order you choose - as you did here.

quote:

There it is on the power screen -- 4.5 draw from somewhere, about 10% of the total ship's budget. It isn't sensors or ECM. I flip through the menus trying to find defense tractor beams turned on or shield reinforcements but nothing.
The Klingon heavy Cruiser spends 1 point of power on Life Support, 1 point of power on Active Fire Control and 2.5 points of power on Full Shields by default. Actually, all heavy cruisers spend this power. These three power draws are collectively called "Housekeeping" by the players, and was one of the first things written out when the simpler Federation Commander system was created. Because it was just another line item that didn't add anything outside of certain cases. Like playing the Romulans, because you can't have AFC up while cloaked, and your plasma torps don't need it active to fire.

When your ship is sufficiently damaged, you stop paying the Life Support cost.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Some notes about Hydrans:

1. The voice acting in their tutorial is delightful. They're methane breathers with a strong aristocratic tradition and comical cockney accents. Imagine the Music Hall version of the 19th century British Empire.

2. They are quite dangerous when they have multiple ships like that. Hellebores are excellent at depleting shields (I won't go into detail until we see them in action), especially Klingon shields. If people haven't picked up on this yet, Klingon shields are powerful at the front, eh at the flanks, and minimal at the rear. To quote the Klingon tutorial "This is to keep your bow pointing at the enemy....WHICH IS WHERE IT SHOULD BE!"

Once the target's shields are depleted, the short-range fusion beam ships and fusion-armed fighters can close for the kill, which can come alarmingly quickly. If one of those ships had carried a hellebore, there would have been a lot more holes in the hull.

Hydran shields aren't that great, but like Federation ships they have a lot of hull and armour HP underneath.

3. Mods please change name of the thread to "Klingon opinions on ranch dressing".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I genuinely loved playing as the Hydrans. Cheerfully silly blokes with interesting weapons and an aircraft carrier gimmick stood out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I also like playing as the Hydrans, for the simple reason that pointing your bow at the enemy and running them over is a valid tactic 90% of the time with fusion ships.

Demonstration of what happens when an oxygenated atmosphere and a methane atmosphere mix in combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVv9tQZPGwE&t=154s

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 3, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Starfleet Command Season 1 Episode 5: Errand of Malice

WAR RECORD 2274.301: The Mek'leth has been dispatched on orders from the Black Fleet to investigate a troubling spatial anomaly near the Federation border. This mission has the crew on edge. And not without reason...

FOUR YEARS EARLIER NEAR THE FEDERATION BORDER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbG3N51MEjM

Let us hope the Mek'leth meets a better fate.

The journey from the Hydran front will take some time, time enough to review the Empire's strategic situation and the sensor data from our last combat.

The Hydran frigate we encountered was not a frigate at all, it seems, but a police ship. Why Hydran "police ships" eschew phasers and shields for more destructive heavy weaponry is unknown.

The Hydran cruiser is typical of their degenerate race. The Ranger is an old class, mounted with outdated weapons.

To galactic politics:

Ever since the Organian Treaty, the High Council has sought conquest away from the Federation border. After the withdrawal from the Archanis sector last year relations with the Federation are now... better than anyone could have expected. This is difficult for those captains who remember the heady days when Archanis was a lawless frontier and its primitive nations trembled at the passing of our war fleets. However, with the High Command committed to war on three fronts, there is little alternative.

The hated Organians have vanished. This is an inconvenient time to renew hostilities with the Federation, and the humans know it. We will have to be diplomatic... up to a point.

The anomaly is nearby. Our orders are to scan it and launch a probe. Starfleet will likely be poking their noses into the situation as well.

The anomaly appears on the outskirts of the Organia system.

Starfleet is here.

As slippery and unctuous as usual.

They are eager to please today!

We are glad to have shared THEIR technological data.

I have the communications officer double check our orders, to make certain there is no order to destroy the Starfleet interlopers. We will have no such luck.

The Starfleet captain is lonely. He wants to engage in "small talk."

The anomaly.

We shall both have a look.

This is too easy.

Perhaps we will go the way of the Amar after all.

... a Lyran cruiser? A *damaged* Lyran cruiser...

It seems that it really *is* a Lyran cruiser. Well, never let it be said that the Mek'leth or her crew ever shied away from a good fight!

This Lyran ship would have been no match for a Klingon battlecruiser even if she were fully operational.

Whatever happened to this ship, they were badly damaged before we reached them. There is no way they could resist a determined boarding attempt.

Our warriors will board them, take possession, and discover what is really happening here.

Let's hope the prize doesn't disappear into glowing dust like those Organian scum.

It seems the High Command is alarmed at the situation. And with good reason! With the Organians gone, Starfleet could turn a three front war into a four-front war! A war of annihilation against the Klingon people. This must not be allowed.

For those of you who might need a refresher on the politics of the late 2260s:

The Organian system the site of a showdown between Starfleet and the Klingon Empire in 2267. The Klingons wanted the M-class planet Organia as a base for continued operations near the Archanis sector, which is a region of space stuck between Vulcan and Earth on one side and Qo'nos on the other. The are naturally became a conflict zone as the Federation started expanding and came up against traditional Klingon spheres of influence. The agrarian and pacifist Organians didn't seem to mind Klingon occupation and refused Starfleet help.

When Kirk (maybe illegally) tried and failed to start an Organian resistance movement against the Klingons, fighting began and the Organians revealed that they were millennia-old energy beings who for whatever reason enjoyed cosplaying as farmers in their spare time. They effortlessly disabled all the combatant ships in the area and forced the Klingons and Federation to make peace, on pain of having their entire fleets forcibly demobilized.

Starfleet Command starts around 2273, and the main Klingon and Federation storylines revolve around the disappearance of the Organians and the ensuing political consequences. As whacked-out as SFB canon is, this is kind of a welcome addition to the Star Trek canon. The movie era cold war and occasional resumption of hostilities between the Federation and the Klingons doesn't seem possible with the Organians still in the picture, and yet they're never mentioned after TOS. So having them disappear does seem to slot into Star Trek canon right around 2274.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 4, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

What I find funny is that the Lyrans the Klingons were staunch allies against the Hydrans and KzintiMirak, then against the Federation. Seeing them as enemies here is just... weird.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
This is fun! Starfleet Command was the first game I played multiplayer over the internet.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The Federation's traditional allies at this point (I believe) were the Gorn, Kzinti (well as much as the Kzinti could anyone), and Hydrans. The traditional Klingon allies were the Romulans (like they were in S3 of TOS or at least implied) and the Lyrans.

I think some of the diplomacy in SFC 1 is randomized. At least how the war effort/economy goes is hard to tell in exact relation to how you perform as a commander (you can get decisive victory after decisive victory and find your Empire pushed back to it's core systems and economy on the verge of collapse).

Seeing the Federation and the Klingons as allies here is somewaht strange (right after a Klingon war with the Romulans). But a nice change of pace.

Also does anyone know if there are A) Legitimate place sto get the Starfleet Command games and B) Ways to make them work on computers more recent than Win ME? I have SFC on GoG but it won't work on anything Win 7 or beyond

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
You need a little tweaking of the sfc.ini to get the game to work on modern systems.

change this

code:
[Mouse]
async=1
hwblit=0
into this

code:
[Mouse]
async=0
hwblit=1
...and you should be fine

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Also, as far as I can tell, Starfleet Command Gold is the only game that can be purchased. 2 and 3 don't appear to be available for digital sale anywhere.

As for SFC1, in addition to the tweak above, there is also this fan-made HD patch https://hotandspicyforums.com/sfc-1-hd-patch-t24716.html#p249851

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I kind of like the 640 window because I don't have to batch resize for the thread.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah that's understandable. 640x480 works well for this thread. Doesn't SFC natively support up to 1024x768? Or am I mixing that up with Klingon Academy?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also, gently caress, where's the old LP thread where some goon played a few rounds of Federation Commander? I can't seem to find it, I'm only finding a thread of full Star Fleet Battles, and a thread where there's no replies beyond the OP.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

An HD textures pack would be awesome.

TOS HD model pack broke my game. Oh well. Everything was backed up.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 5, 2019

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also, gently caress, where's the old LP thread where some goon played a few rounds of Federation Commander? I can't seem to find it, I'm only finding a thread of full Star Fleet Battles, and a thread where there's no replies beyond the OP.

I ran that Let's Roll of Federation Commander! It was a blast and I wish I had the time to do more of it. It's buried in the archives somewhere in the long-lost halcyon year of 2011 and I can no longer find it. NEVER MIND I FOUND IT https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3434461 <---Click that if you want a glimpse into what this system looks like under the hood.

In the meantime, I am still available to answer any and all questions regarding Star Fleet Battles, Space Eskimos, and why everything voids a wild weasel.

Gau fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 5, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gau posted:

I ran that Let's Roll of Federation Commander! It was a blast and I wish I had the time to do more of it. It's buried in the archives somewhere in the long-lost halcyon year of 2011 and I can no longer find it. NEVER MIND I FOUND IT https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3434461 <---Click that if you want a glimpse into what this system looks like under the hood.

In the meantime, I am still available to answer any and all questions regarding Star Fleet Battles, Space Eskimos, and why everything voids a wild weasel.

Holy poo poo, it was that long ago? Fuuuuuuuuck

I loved the little avatars you did for the ship crew conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Gau posted:

Awesome! Sometime like someone should actually do another campaign of that. Would love to see it going on again. That seems like something very well steup for Goon v Goon. Or Federation and Empire would be -fun-. If could ever get that going. the.. Strategic game where the players controlled empires I think?

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 5, 2019