Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
:spooky: Twybil's Halloween Special - Transylvania :spooky:

What is this?
Halloween's coming up so I thought I'd do a fun participation LP for the forums to celebrate and to give this old game some appreciation from the modern day.

Transylvania is an awesome computer adventure game from the early ages of computer tech, dating all the way back to the Apple II in 1982. Over the years it was ported to Atari systems, the Commodore, and finally the MS-DOS version in 1985. It saw good success and ended up getting two sequel games, but neither as good as the first.

We'll be playing the 1985 DOS version, because it's the version I'm used to playing.

How's this gonna work?
Transylvania is a text-based adventure game with graphics to go alongside it. You put in commands to do things, but it is surprisingly both detailed and limited.

Since I know this game like the back of my hand, I'm leaving it up to you, thread, to vote for the actions of our intrepid adventurer. I will poll every once in a while (less than 30 minutes) to get our next action, seeing if we can beat this game before Halloween ends (We absolutely won't) (We totally did). You can vote to do multiple things, if applicable to the situation. I'll typically wait until at least 3-5 votes have been put forth.

After Halloween has passed, I'll do a full completion run of the game, if we haven't seen everything yet, and then another short one showing how to beat it in the shortest time possible.

We beat it! Join us at the end of the thread where we test out any lasting questions from the LP!

:siren:NO SPOILER ZONE AHEAD:siren:
If you're like me and you know how to beat this game, don't ruin the fun and mystery for everybody by always pointing out the correct answers. Join the fun by playing mastermind to foil the thread by voting for the wrong answers, if you want. You can also just enjoy watching other people try to figure this out.

Spoiler Zone is over, since the LP is done.

Wait, aren't you already doing an LP?
Yeah, but don't worry about me, I've got the time. Besides I won't need to get an update ready for a while anyways.

But it's not Halloween yet!
That's the point.

With this, we begin our journey to Transylvania!

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

:spooky:Useful Commands::spooky:
Here is a list of usual commands, but is not exhaustive.

go north/east/south/west: Goes in a direction.
enter ___: Enters something, such as a building.
open ____: Opens something, such as container.
use ____: Uses and item in whatever manner the game interprets.
use ____ ____: Uses the item on whatever the second entry is.
wait: We can pass a little bit of time, if we're waiting on something.
get/take: Picks up a thing.
inventory: Inspects our inventory.
hold: Holds out something
drop: Drops a thing, because we have limited inventory space.
look/ look in: Looks at something.
read: Reads a thing.
push/pull ____ : Pushes or pulls a thing.
kiss ___: Kisses something.
sing ___: Sings a song.
say: Says something
punch: "I don't know how to do that!"
(Profanity): "That is not appropriate language."

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 28, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Here we are. Let's get to it, shall we?

Let's make it a bit more ominous, shall we?

--

Huh, writing on the stump?

Well, let's get a move on. Kinda spooky here.

Huh, that was an odd owl. I suppose let's try and get closer to the cave.

Oh. Well, let's just follow the road then. Maybe we'll figure out where we are.

A note?

...The game is now afoot.

(This is an actual timer is based on turn counts. We begin the game at 00:00 military time, or 12:00 AM at night.)

...But where do we go from here? Thread, I ask for your votes!

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 28, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If we can't Clean, Wipe, or otherwise Sweep the sediment off the stump so we can read it, then going West has worked for the last two rooms so I don't see why we shouldn't keep at it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Sabrina can't die, she'll be needed in a decade to introduce 90s tween girls to sitcom humour!

Keep going west, I suppose?

Completely unfamiliar with the game but absolutely up for spooky shenanigans.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's impressive how much color they get out of screaming pink and laser blue.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

West it is.

I...I suppose I should keep heading west.

Hm. Even more paths? It's kinda getting dark.

What now?

Keep in mind that the cardinal directions stay as they are, as if following a compass. In this case, the eastern path on the screen leads back to where we were, not the southern path we're standing on visually.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 28, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Mzbundifund posted:

If we can't Clean, Wipe, or otherwise Sweep the sediment off the stump so we can read it...
We can revisit the stump later, but I passed by it for now as cleaning it by hand doesn't help any. That's the only time I'm purposefully skipping over something.

megane posted:

It's impressive how much color they get out of screaming pink and laser blue.

It really is. This game was actually part of starting up the trend for hand-drawn graphics in text adventure games. It can also be disabled by hitting 'enter', but that wouldn't be any fun.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Uh. North?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Seems like we're headed north for now.

I think I'll go north since I'm already facing that direction. Maybe it's just a gut feeling.

...Well, I'm out of the forest. That statue is a bit odd to be out here by itself. It looks like a person from here, but...

Shall we inspect the statue, or explore this clearing a bit more?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Take a gander at the random statue.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Let's inspect the statue, then.

I ponder for a moment about what to do, and I decide to approach this odd statue. My hopes is that there is an inscription of some kind upon it that may give me hints as to what's going on.

...Is this Sabrina?! I can't tell if it sounds like a woman or not, it's so muffled. Who ever it is, doesn't sound like they've much breath left. I could try breaking it to get the person out from the inside, but it looks really sturdy.

That note, if I can trust it, said she'll be able to hold out until dawn, somehow. It's still midnight, from what I can tell, so I still have plenty of time to figure this out...

Shall we attempt to bash the statue in some way, or shall we look elsewhere?
Available directions are south, (where we came from,) or east.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
kiss statue

Leave her be until we have something to chisel or break the statue. For now, e

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

We shall display affection for this fine sculpture and the lady trapped within.

Overcome by emotion, perhaps it was just the stress, I kissed the statue goodbye as I headed east to search for a solution.

System: "That's not healthy."

...It didn't feel that good. I started to head east, but then-

:stonk: : AAAAAA-

...Wait, I'm back where I started? What the hell was that?

We somehow find ourselves back where this all started. We can mess with the stump some more, or progress back to the crossroads.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 28, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kiss butt

Since I'm a child

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

kiss butt

Since I'm a child

The game actually replies the same as kissing the statue: "That's not healthy."

I was half expecting it to say: "You're going to have to figure out how to do that yourself," like it does for some other actions.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

I'll try and head back to the crossroads then, regardless. It's more of a vote.

I suppose I'll find my way back to the crossroads-

:stonk: *screams like a little girl*

S-something's not right with this forest! That thing is right on my heels, but I've gotta keep running somewhere!

Now the forest plays it's hand, the eagle delivering us but short distance from the beast. It will hound our every movement from now on, but where do we go?

Now the game is starting for real.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

South?

This has me hankering to play some worldbuilder games. Maybe I'll finally do my first LP.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

South it is-

I run south in a hurry, hoping that maybe that creature would head back northwest where I had been.

As I followed the trail, the path started to deteriorate away into brush. Dashing past the bushes I leapt into the moonlight...

...N-no luck there, it seems! I think I've got enough time to run east, just maybe, but there's also that boat in the distance!

It won't swim to follow me, right? Maybe...?

Shall we get on the boat, admire the frog, or run to the east?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

It's been a bit without a reply, so I'll take over a bit.

No, the boat is too far... I'll run back to familiar territory- I might be able to outrun it if I do.

So far in the clear...

drat it! It's trying to cut me off, but I think I can slip past!

...Where did it go? I can see the statue just ahead, but let's go check the east like I planned on before being dragged off.

Argh, it's still following me! I'll run back to that clearing- it seems to want to stick to the forests.

Hm...I don't see it's eyes glowing from anywhere...

It might have given up for now- at least I could hope.

There's a grave here? Is this a cemetery? I don't know how much time I have, so I better get to looking.

What should we do? We can inspect or try fiddling with the tombstone- messing with the resting places of the dead is always a good idea in a situation like this. If the werewolf arrives again, which direction should we run: north, west, or south?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

South if it comes, but mess with the tombstone.

I haven’t played this in 30 years. All I remember is the ending.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Pester the dead it is then!

If Sabrina was inside that statue, then perhaps there's something in this grave as well.

I walk up to the grave and put my hands on it, but only then do I see the inscription...

...and hear the snarling from behind:

There's no way I'm gonna die here! I dash south, tripping up the fiend by making it stumble over the headstone as I leap across.

Gah, this is exhausting, even with the adrenaline flowing. I don't see it yet, but that wolf has to be close by. I'm no good with my bare hands, but there has to be some way to stop this thing from hounding me!

...While I'm here, that cart seems interesting, but I'll have to get into it to see what's inside.

Shall we investigate this cart, or should we search for solutions in another direction?

I'll wait a few minutes for folks to get a vote in if they want, as I've been doing.

If the narrative is cheesy, that's because it's supposed to be.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 29, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Get in there

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Get in the cart

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm sure there's nothing at all deadly inside the cart!

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
Check out the cart.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Gettin' in that cart!

That cart looks interesting, perhaps I can find something useful there. Maybe it'll be good place to hide.

Why the hell is it waiting for me in the cart too? I leap out as quickly as I got in!

No way, you mangy mutt- I'm looking at that coffin!

I've gotta circle around it...!

I'm running out of breath, but I get a chance to look at the coffin. I'm desperate to find something to use. Some bats fly by overhead, but I don't hear the wolf chasing me anymore.

drat it! I'll have to pry this open with something. I may want to get a move on- that rustling behind me is unsettling.

I don't know where the wolf is, but I still have time. But, where to go now...?

...And why am I hearing voices!?

Which way are we going now? Will we keep trying to run past the wolf, or away from it?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Past it! ... I have legit no idea.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Gonna head east a bit then, to see what's there.

I need to figure out where I am. This whole forest is like a damned labyrinth to me. I head west first...

...to find a familiar road and an familiar face that I'm getting tired of running into. I head north to the clearing, trying to get it off my backside for a bit and retrace back to the wagon.

Well, let's head east, then.

...A castle? What is that doing here?

Shall we enter this castle, looking for assistance, or should we continue on to the east? Perhaps back to wagon and southwards?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Into the castle

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Castle!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Into the castle it is! (Apologies for that wait)

This castle...it looks old, but it's open. Perhaps someone is inside that can help me?

Agh! The beast leapt from underneath the bridge on me!

I run past it, as it's still regaining it's balance. It's drat fast, that's for sure.

...What an interesting place. The mangy beast seems to have slunk away; a good thing as I was afraid of being cornered in here. Is it just playing a game with me?

Checking to the east I find an empty room with some flypaper of all things.

The western room has...nothing in it? Should I press on ahead, or try and head back into the forest? I don't want to be cornered...

Last update for the night: shall we press on forwards, or try our luck back in the forest? Most importantly, should we get the flypaper or not? If the werewolf does come for us, which way do we run? (I will be back tomorrow morning!)

We can return to either crossroads at any time, as there's a few pathways we haven't checked yet.

We have nothing in our inventory presently, and it hasn't hit 1:00 AM yet. We've still got plenty of time.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 29, 2019

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The Flying Twybil posted:

Last update for the night: shall we press on forwards, or try our luck back in the forest? Most importantly, should we get the flypaper or not? If the werewolf does come for us, which way do we run?

We can return to either crossroads at any time, as there's a few pathways we haven't checked yet.

We have nothing in our inventory presently, and it hasn't hit 1:00 AM yet. We've still got plenty of time.

Take flypaper, continue onwards into the castle.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
Get the flypaper and continue exploring the castle.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is there an inventory limit? Because if not, you should be taking everything not bolted down without asking us again!

I agree with my colleagues about the castle.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

There is an inventory limit. It's a vague, undefined amount, but it will be noticeable once we get one or two particularly heavy items.

Explore the castle it is!

...No signs of anybody, but that wolf isn't following me in. Strange...

I'll head up the staircase, I suppose. Maybe I'll find a king?

A ladder too? Maybe I can find something up this...tower or whatever this is.

:argh: : Hey! If you're going to be rude, you could at least face me!

Saying this seemed to frighten some bats from far above. I try the ladder again, but the same result occurs.

I may as well check on that other path...

:gonk: : AAAAGH! Where the hell am I, Transylvania?! I'm getting out of here!

As I run, he sends bats after me, but I find myself at a whim to steal his flypaper. He narrowly misses grabbing me as I leave the room.

Gah, and he's following me too!

In the end, I am forced to retreat from the castle, and the ghostly, fanged man stands in the shadows just a distance ahead. He's taunting me...

Perhaps I'm better off taking chances with the wolf out here.

Note: Generic protagonist Goon is not smartest, but is very good at dodging things.

What shall we do now? We could try exploring the castle some more, but we're hardly a match for even the werewolf, let alone the vampire (we can at least see the rest of the rooms). There was an eastern path from just behind us that we haven't entered yet, or we could head back to explore from the crossroads with the note.

Current Inventory - Weight:
Flypaper - Very Light

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 29, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Been some time, gonna take action to put us at a more interesting decision...

If this vampire is just as slow as the werewolf, then perhaps I can run past him...

It's kind of a bad idea to do this, but I'm going to see what's down here if it kills me!

...Okay, maybe I retract that last statement.

Well, I can still kind of see, I guess. I don't know where the vampire is, though...

Oh, wow! Treasure! Hey, this whole ordeal might be worth it after all!

Er... wasn't there a girl I was supposed to be saving, a future pop star or something...?

*takes off running*

Nope, you're not getting me today!

Oh, for crying out loud! This thing never gives up! I'll just go east some more, it's getting easy to dodge this thing.

...It's still after me, but I think I can keep this up this pace! It's not that fast but it's still freaking me the hell out- Where to now, though? I can't stay here!

New choice, new crossroads! We've seen all we can in the castle, but we've still got some forest to explore! Do we head in one of these new directions, or head back in a direction from the crossroads with the note?

We've still got flypaper.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 29, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Head in a new direction; I don't know. Find a crowbar or hammer or something so you can open that coffin in the wagon.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

New direction? Sure, we'll head south and see if we can find if this path connects to anything.

...I'll run south- maybe I can see if this road connects to any of the others I've seen!

A hut? Is it too much to hope someone will be inside?

Huh, a cat.

Well that thing doesn't like me, though it's not nearly as scary as the wolf.

...Unsettling, but probably not life threatening- I hope. I've got no idea what to expect anymore.

...Is that chemistry? Come on, how the heck was I supposed to know that it might have been valuable information!? That's just not fair.

Well, let me borrow this lantern. I'm tired of it being so dark everywhere.

No dice, it's made into the ceiling. Let's grab that bottle of whatever that is-

-Okay, fine! Sheesh, I'll leave your stupid hut then.

The wolf's not around, so I'll head south, maybe?

Oh for- that's just nasty!

Wait, what the hell is this creepy thing?

Should we bother with the goblin? Regardless, where do we go from here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Keep exploring until you find areas with things that aren't guarded (like the bottle by the cat) or gated (the coffin by the nails, the ring by...I'm guessing the vampire?). Basically explore until you get a new item in your inventory.

Unless you find an area crawling with flies or some other puzzle that would require something really sticky. In which case use the flypaper.

(Sorry, I'm terrible with directions, so I'm gonna try and solve this with "what is presently in the inventory?" At the very least, we'll figure out what all's needed. We clearly need something to chase away the cat, and we need something to open a coffin lid.)