Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
Going by what items you have is usually the best approach to these early adventure games. I'll go ahead and move around to start displaying all the locations we haven't seen yet...

So, we'll leave this rude goblin alone and go scavenging for more gear...

Screw you too, buddy. I'm out of here.

...Huh. Somehow I ended back up here looking at this thing again. I'll run past it back to the crossroads...

Let's try east this time-

You would, wouldn't you? drat thing, at least it isn't actively trying to kill me-

What!? Is this place running in circles somehow? Heck with it, no time to think- we're heading north!

...I don't like the look of this... It's hit one, judging by that sound in the distance.

It came from the east, perhaps there's a house there?

An abandoned house and a face I'm really getting tired of looking at.

I'm going in- as long as I have time to react to this beast, it's easy to dodge...

Oh, hey! Free bread.

Argh! Go away, would you!?

A gun! Finally, I might be able to blast this thing!

:argh:

I can't catch a break tonight! Let's go around the house then!

Curse you!

And so continues the series of scenes well accompanied by the Benny Hill music...

...Gah, I'm getting tired of doing this!

Running upstairs, I manage to get the gun!

How come nothing is ever easy!? Now I've got to find bullets...

...Wait, this is a really bad idea, isn't it!?

...I'm alive? I was drat sure that thing would follow me down here.

Ugh, it's dark in here. Where was that staircase again-

What was that...?

System: As you grope along the floor, you find a metal bar.

Ah, this could be useful, but...

No room. This thing is heavy, so I might have to drop a lot for it, if I want it.

Well, thread? Should we get this metal bar, or should I go looking about in different places first? If so, what do we drop?

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That'll pry open the coffin, surely. So drop whatever is needed to pick it up. Then pry open the coffin. Keep the gun if possible; I don't know

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

We can just barely carry the gun alongside the bar. Let's get it then, and get that coffin open!

I'll get that bar... it may just open that coffin.

Ah...right. If I drop this down here, I might not be able to find it in the future.

Let's leave the bread and flypaper, I'm don't have any idea what to do with those just yet.

Hey! Where did my bread go!?

...Whatever...but I was getting hungry. :smith:

Off to go find that coffin. I wonder where west takes me from here...?

Groping through some brush, I find myself back here...? How did I get around the castle without noticing!?

Agh, what a labyrinth this is!

I can't complain though, since I found myself at the cart faster than I expected.

I jump in, put the bar to the coffin, and give it a mighty push...!

:stonk: Ugh! A dead guy, and mice eating him!

...What did I expect to find from a coffin-

A bullet! A silver one at that!

We're making progress, folks. Shall we take the bullet or the mice? We may need to drop the bar to pick anything else up.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

No option to pet the cat, worst game ever.

I assume we won't need the bar again, so drop it if we have to, take everything.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

I mean, we could try to pet the cat. It doesn't really like us that much, but we could.

Anyways, grabbin' everything!

My instincts tell me to grab everything!

:argh: Those little jerks ran away!

Just trick this mangy mutt into giving me enough time to get that bullet...!

Let's leave this heavy-rear end thing behind.

Aha! Just my luck!

...Why was I grabbing bloodthirsty mice again? Whatever, gotta get that bullet!

What's with that owl?

Got it! Yes! :dance:

We got all the stuff from the coffin. What now?

Incidentally, this was incredibly lucky as the mice run away and they really suck to find later if you want. They just happened to run back this way.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 29, 2019

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Logic says we go back to the gun, load it, and shoot the drat werewolf so he stops menacing us constantly. If we can juggle items enough to do it without losing the mice, I didn't realise they were quite so lively.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

We've actually still got the gun with us- Goon has just enough space to carry it and the bar. Apologies, should have listed the inventory again.

Time to become Van Helsing, maybe.

I've had enough of this...

Silver kills werewolves, right?

I'm done with you, mangy hound!

:smug: Finally!

What's up with this corpse, anyways?

System: It looks back at you.

:gonk:

drat you, eagle!

The werewolf is vanquished, and the forest is now safe to travel. What do we do now?

Inventory: A trio of ravenous mice, an empty gun

God, that eagle encounter really loves doing this to me.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 29, 2019

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

We probably don't need the gun any more, maybe drop it in a vaguely central location we can backtrack to later.

Did the bread we dropped actually vanish? If so I guess we have to go back into the castle and try and get more bread, I'm assuming we need to feed it to the mice at some point. We should also retrieve the flypaper, since we haven't found a use for that yet.

Hm, my point and click senses are tingling. Take the mice to the cat. (Maybe if we feed them first they won't run away and the cat can play with them and ignore us looting the chemicals? I'd assume the cat will chase them anyway but the game made a point of telling us the mice are hungry, so...)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah, let's try this:

1.) Go get the bread, feed it to the mice if that's something you can do.
2.) Once the mice are fed (or it's established that you can't feed them bread) try and take them to the cat
3.) Loot the chemicals once the cat presumably buggers off to chase the mice
4.) Retrieve the flypaper
5.) I guess drop the gun, too; unless there's ANOTHER werewolf and ANOTHER silver bullet, I don't think there's going to be more need for it.

(You're not doing anything that'll put the game in an unwinnable state, are you? Because please ignore anything that'd do that.)

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

I assure you, the only actual way to put the game in an unwinnable state is to have far too little time to complete the ending segment. Without knowing what to do however, a few things (mice included) can hide hints making it virtually impossible to a newer player.

Now that the furry is dead, I'd like to note the reason why I was running away so much is that you'll instantly die provided you take any action that isn't a few specific ones. That includes trying to go in a direction that you can't go in.

We're going to feed the mice, and feed the cat. Back to the house we go for bread and flypaper!

I suppose it's only appropriate I'm back here now that the beast is gone...

North, maybe?

Oh, huh. I'll need to check these out later.

Let's leave the gun here. I'm out of ammo, and I don't think it will do much against a vampire...

Let's get this flypaper back.

Uh...there's not another one of those, is there...?

...Where the gently caress did my bread go, again?

My bread! Also, :gonk:. I'm outta here!

Huh, you three don't want bread? You're some weird rear end mice then, aren't you? Ow, hey! You'll pay for that one, mister!

Two o' clock already! I've gotta save that pretty lady!

At least, I suppose she's pretty. Haven't seen her face before, honestly. Does she even know who I am?

...Am I losing my mind? Quickly, onwards!

Keep heading south...

Hey there, you hissy thing. Have these three jerks.

Hey, I can get the bottle now.

...But what do I use this for? I don't remember much chemistry, honestly...

What shall we do now? Our inventory: Bottle of chemicals, fly paper, bread

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 29, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Well we got the acid but I don't think the vampire will be polite enough to drink it for us. We'd better check out that shack and cabin to see if we can find something that needs dissolving.

edit: use the acid to clean the stump?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Make a sammich.

We still need to deal with the vampire, clean off the stump to read what's written on it, maybe do something with the statue, and get the key off the goblin either through trade or through violence. Plus whatever's in that new shack and cabin we passed.

I guess the chemicals could be used either to clean the stump or to melt the goblin or vampire, depending on how strong the acid is. If it's for stump-cleaning we need a rag or something, and if the werewolf was a silver bullet then presumably the vampire will need holy water. (Potentially in the empty acid bottle once we've found what to use the acid on.) And I have no idea about the flypaper right now.

Uh, I dunno, go take a look at the shack and log cabin?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

I'd like to note that the bread is, unfortunately stale. It's horrible, I know.

We'll go inspect the insides of the cabin and shed, and test the acid on the stump.
Update in a few minutes!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Maybe it's garlic bread?

Anyway yeah, keep exploring and then try the acid on the stump. I feel like we're making progress, at least. Not wasting time running around the forest to get away from the werewolf.

I used to LOVE games like this. My two favorites were The Coveted Mirror (which I can't find ANYWHERE; it's not on the wayback archive) and The Philistine Ploy (which I can't even find a RECORD OF anywhere; it's like I imagined the entire game.)

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

I always find these old adventure games are a blast to play through, provided they have good text recognition. I mentioned it in the OP, but there are two more Transylvania games in the series and I have both of them. Two's pretty alright, but three acts like it's Shadowgate and tries to kill you literally everywhere. This game is the only one in the series with it's unique mix of horror and cheesiness.

Anyways, off to look at real estate and to acidify a stump~!

As soon as I left that hut, that damnable bird dragged me off again!

Wait, where's the statue?

Oh, there it is.

I went south from the cart, and back to the cabin and shack.

I entered the cabin first...

Garlic? Might be useful with my bread. Might help to get over the staleness.

Huh. What a quaint little cabin.

...Nobody's been here for quite some time. That wolf might have gotten them. What's up with that deer head though?

Looks kinda weird, honestly. Who has a mount that low to the ground?

Ah, well, back to the stump.

Let's see if this works. I've got a hunch that this is acid, but then again, I was sleeping that day in class--

...Oops, I guess? I guess it worked though!

Oh, Goon :cripes:

"Knock here"? What's up with that?

Our bottle is gone, unfortunately. What now? We could mess around in the cabins some more, go back to mess with our grave, the frog, or see what's up with this stump's message. Your call.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Uh, can you make garlic bread?

Is...is that how you kill the vampire? "Hey man I made you some nice bread here you go."

Anyway, knock there, I guess.

e: I can't imagine an item is used for multiple puzzles, but if you have room, get the crowbar and try and detach the deer head from the wall? I figure either that or lighting the fireplace are things to do in that room since otherwise it's a pointless area

FairGame fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 29, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Garlic bread is unfortunately not a thing. This game has a sense of humor, but it's not that silly. Items typically aren't used for multiple puzzles, but we can go mess with the deer head manually.

Knock on the stump it is!

Why not, let's give it a shot. Not like anything weird is going to-

Huh. This has been here the whole time and I didn't realize it?

That sucks, man.

What exactly is this cave anyways? Maybe I can check that door.

drat.

What now? We've got the previously mentioned options, and a few new ones before us. Cast thy votes now!

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 29, 2019

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Knock knock

also I suspect that yes, we will be making garlic bread for the vampire. Or just throwing the garlic at him while we wander around with our stale bread looking for anyone with a toaster. Maybe we light the fire in the cabin and make toast there.

e:f,b

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 29, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Take the flies with the flypaper.
Read the book.
Don't know how you get out of the cave; maybe the book has answers? Guessing the goblin's key is how we open that door.
If the book has answers on how to get out, go give your gross sheet of fly'd paper to the frog and see what happens

e: if you hadn't killed it, could the werewolf have shown up here? Because unless there's an obvious exit I'm not aware of, that'd be instant death

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

FairGame posted:

Take the flies with the flypaper.
Read the book.
Don't know how you get out of the cave; maybe the book has answers? Guessing the goblin's key is how we open that door.
If the book has answers on how to get out, go give your gross sheet of fly'd paper to it and see what happens

That all sounds good.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Flies, read the book, and eff with the goblin. Got it! I'll stick to posting the updates separate instead of editing them in. Update in just a minute!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can you KNOCK STUMP before using the acid on it?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Flying Twybil posted:

Flies, read the book, and eff with the goblin. Got it! I'll stick to posting the updates separate instead of editing them in. Update in just a minute!

I meant eff with the frog, not the goblin. I mean, I guess maybe the goblin wants flies too, but given that mice-->cat, it seems like flies-->frog is the more logical choice.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Mzbundifund posted:

Can you KNOCK STUMP before using the acid on it?

Yes, actually. I'll cover this and more in the quick run of the game.

FairGame posted:

I meant eff with the frog, not the goblin. I mean, I guess maybe the goblin wants flies too, but given that mice-->cat, it seems like flies-->frog is the more logical choice.

Argh, misread that. Apologies. Give me just a minute to eff with the frog then.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Getting flies, checking out the book, messing with goblin, feeding frog. We've got a plan!

Also, the werewolf cannot show up in the cave, and it won't even follow you to the stump. Strangely, it can't show up in the dark cellar either.

Curse you, text parser!

Got 'em!

...What was I planning on doing with them?

Oh well, let's read the book.

Magical elixirs? Huh, what kind of world have I fallen into?

Either way, this book seems useful, let's grab it-

Aaagh! The heck happened there? Oh well, let's go mess with that goblin then. I want that key!

Hmph. Too good for my flies then? Jerk, you don't know what a deal you're missin'! These are high value flies right here!

...I really am losing my mind here. I need to get going. Think, think...a frog! Yeah, there was that frog! Let's try that!

One trip later...

Hey, what's up? Have some flies.

:shepface: ...I think I might've hit my head somewhere...

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

What a helpful frog. Go say the thing to the gobbo, I guess.

(I like this game. This is my kind of weird.)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alright, go say IJNID I guess?

Can you get on that boat?

Anyway, when the goblin dies take his key and go back to the stump, knock, and use the key on the door.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Sayin' the thing to the goblin! Took me until now to realize I didn't put forth a question at the end of that last update. Dang, sorry.

IJNID, huh? Fine, let's go do that.

Stop following me, ghosts!

Nice. I wonder what's so scary about that word? Let's go open that door then.

Ugh, just when I was getting somewhere! drat key. Back to searching- it'll hit three in not too long...

Using the key on the door we found has no effect. What now?
We can go fiddling with our grave, that room with the deer head, or the statue. We've explored all we have open, presently.

Inventory: Bread, Small Key

Items lying around: Bar, Pistol, Garlic, Broom, Ring (blocked off by vampire).

Edit: Yes, we can get on the boat.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Does getting on the boat load a new area? If so, let's do that.

If not, let's grab the garlic. And the broom if it'll let us.

And...let's go back and mess with the deer head. Maybe we can take one or both of the antlers and they're actually a key for this door?

If (when?) that fails, let's screw around some more with the grave.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Going to the boat presently does nothing, unfortunately. We'll need it to escape this place.

Gonna go grab some more stuff because we're a hoarder, as well as trying to get an antler for a key.

Update is coming in just a minute!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Lets go collect some stuff and try and mess up a trophy statue!

I guess I pick up the book ag-

Yep. I want some garlic for my bread, I'm getting a bit hungry now.

:allears:

Well, let's move on. Maybe I can use that broom for something.

Cripes, have I been here that long already!? Only two hours left, I think- I better hurry!

Well, I got the broom, but the hut was still deserted. I guess that cat ain't coming back.

This deer head...maybe I can use it's antler as a key?

It moved a bit, but it's on there tight!

Come loose would you!?

Arrrgggh-

-guh, wha?

A secret room? Now I've seen everything.

What now? There seems to be cloak on the floor, and this room seems to have rather good acoustics...

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Wear our new fancy threads, obviously. Maybe we can fly on the broom.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Huh, wasn't expecting that. Take the cloak! Maybe there's a key underneath it!

Uh..wear the cloak.

And...try to combine the garlic with the bread? I really have no idea.

I don't know how to ask this without an explicit yes/no: can you kill the vampire with the garlic alone? I was expecting a stake or a cross or holy water or something.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

FairGame posted:

I don't know how to ask this without an explicit yes/no: can you kill the vampire with the garlic alone? I was expecting a stake or a cross or holy water or something.

The vampire will not die to the garlic, unfortunately. I'm telling you this because we're really close to the game's one true jerk move. One of those three item you mentioned does exist, however...

Update in just a second!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

can you...can you TAKE your own gravestone and beat the vampire to death with a giant marble cross?

edit: let's channel our inner Link and see if we can push the gravestone?

Frustrating that the only thing I remember about this game is the completely ridiculous thing at the end, and I'm also pretty sure we're not there yet.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 29, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Lets put on some wizard duds!

Wizard cape, hell yeah!

...Crap, I'm carrying too much stuff. Wait right here, garlic and bread.

Huh? Part of this cloak feels heavy...? It's just cloth right?

Oh, wow, even more magic stuff!

Wait a second, what's this hiding inside of it?

A lockpick? Sweet! I can use this!

Hm, I kinda feel like singing now. No idea why, maybe it's the cape?

We have a lockpick now and a snazzy new cape! What shall we do?

Edit: Pushing the tombstone is now on the list of things to try next.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

lmao you're spoon feeding stuff to us now; I guess we're running out of time

1.) Sing, for some reason? (What clue did we miss that made this obvious?)
2.) Go pick the lock in the cave
3.) Then go mess with the tombstone

...also, how were we supposed to know there was a lockpick in the cloak?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

FairGame posted:

lmao you're spoon feeding stuff to us now; I guess we're running out of time

1.) Sing, for some reason? (What clue did we miss that made this obvious?)
2.) Go pick the lock in the cave
3.) Then go mess with the tombstone

...also, how were we supposed to know there was a lockpick in the cloak?

Singing is the one thing I have to spoon feed because it's dumb and the game doesn't tell you to do this anywhere as far as I know. We've actually got surprisingly more time than I'd figured we'd have. We might actually finish this.

As for the lockpick, the game never tells you either. These are the game's two biggest dick moves, unfortunately. Update will be ready in a bit, we're trying quite a few things here...

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...did someone from Sierra wander in to write this section?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Maybe we could make a wooden stake out of the broom handle somehow. Break broom?