Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
We're singing, then picking a door, then pretending to be Link~

Hmm...what to sing...

Ah, I got it! Something nice for Sabrina!

Stuck on You - Elvis Presley

Rude.

No that's not it...

How about...

Only the Lonely - Roy Orbison

RUDE

Not that either, maybe...

Some Enchanted Evening - Frank Sinatra

:magical: What the hell?

No, I'm not joking, you have to sing Some Enchanted Evening here for the wizard to appear. Yeah.

Oh, neat, he gave me a cross. That could be nice.

Let's go pick that lock...

Alright! I knew being a delinquent teenager had it's benefits! What's inside?

...Should I... Look into it?

Uh...wow. That was neat.

Uhh... Maybe I should go back to my grave?

Hey, you know what? Let me try that thing the Zelda guy does-

...Huh.

I'm on a roll! :dance:

What now, thread?

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...what. :psyduck:

Okay, going to ignore everything about what just happened there. Let's open the grate and jump in, I'm sure that's a great idea.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is that like...1980s copy protection? If you have the instruction manual it tells you like "if ever you find yourself in a hidden room, you should sing 'some enchanted evening'?" That's the only thing I can think of because otherwise this game is completely impossible.

Anyway, crystal ball is pretty clear: you re-enact what you see once you've got the ring. Which I imagine you could get now that you have a cross.

So...
Open the grate. If it's locked, we have the goblin key.
Do...stuff down there.
Go stab the vampire with the cross.
Take the ring.
Re-enact the crystal ball scene at the statue, which will...hopefully crumble and let Sabrina out?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

FairGame posted:

Is that like...1980s copy protection? If you have the instruction manual it tells you like "if ever you find yourself in a hidden room, you should sing 'some enchanted evening'?" That's the only thing I can think of because otherwise this game is completely impossible.

I figure it is, because there's a similar moment in Transylvania 2 that needs the instruction manual.

Anyways, down the cellar with the key, go attack the vampire, and save Sabrina.

Let's do it!

...But give me a few minutes first and I will return with the update!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

1980s games had all kinds of weird poo poo like that.

Skip to the part about the "MordorCharge Card" here.
https://lparchive.org/Wizardry-IV/Update%2004/

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
It's a shame we couldn't take the wizard's cloak and go all Sorcerer's Apprentice with the broom, because I've kinda always wanted to see a Dracula vs. Walking Broom Army battle.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Next update will be up in just a bit! Had to do life things briefly~!

You'll just love this update, I'm sure.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

A lot of stuff on our plate: head into the cellar, kill the vampire, get ring, and save Sabrina.

...Well, let's head inside. What could go wrong?

...Don't listen to the ghosts, don't listen to the ghosts~

Oh wow! Is this an elixir like that book mentioned?

drat. Gotta drop more stuff.

There we go! I don't know how the broom got lodged in the ceiling, but it did!

We had to drop the key, the broom, and the flypaper.

Now, to the castle. Let's hope this cross does it's job...

:argh: HEY, COUNT DINKULA, WHERE ARE YOU?!

Not here, the coward. He knows. He knows about the garlic bread.

Hah, there you are! Suck on this, bat boy!

...Wow, I almost didn't think that was going to work for a second there.

I guess I'll get that ring then?

The vampire actually closed the box while I was gone. Neat.

Cool, now I've got some bling! Let's put this on. Maybe I can save Sabrina with my snazzy new magic powers!

drat, I'm running out of time! This better work!

Let's try this then...

Note that "wave hand" is the actual answer

...Come on, please work...!

WHAT

HOW

Well then folks, what now? We just confirmed the X-files, but that's about it. We may still have a bit more to explore left...

We're very close to the end of the game, it's just a matter of time before we get there.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 29, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yep, that’s what I remember. And then there’s a follow up but I have no idea how to trigger it.

Did we fully explore the castle? Without the vampire chasing us around it’d be easier to do now. But we only have a handful of actions left...

E: is the garlic bread a complete red herring?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

FairGame posted:

Yep, that’s what I remember. And then there’s a follow up but I have no idea how to trigger it.

Did we fully explore the castle? Without the vampire chasing us around it’d be easier to do now. But we only have a handful of actions left...

E: is the garlic bread a complete red herring?

We have not yet fully explored the castle. We still have that ladder to inspect, but everything else is accounted for- mostly. We should still have enough actions (somewhere close to 100, I think) to make the end work, I'd only worry if the clock strikes five and we haven't saved Sabrina yet.

And yes, garlic bread is a complete fake-out. If you try and use the garlic on the vampire, I'm pretty sure he kills you anyways. Never tried it to see exactly what happens though, so we can check that out on our bonus runs.

Sadly, the broom also serves no purpose. Just saying it now. This game has a penchant for adding random garbage.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alright, go check out the rest of the castle with the ladder. And if that doesn’t work, I’m out of ideas. I know what HAPPENS next on the critical path but I can’t remotely remember how to ACCOMPLISH it.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

We shall now inspect the last room available to us...

I...I don't know what to think. All I can think about is that there was that ladder in here I was knocked off of.

Up we go! Perhaps I may get a better view from here...

...What is this, exactly? It's covered in...vines? Kinda out of place in a way, I guess.

Well, thread, what shall we try to do? This is the last room we can enter, but the solution to the game is somewhere.

We still have time!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pour the elixir on them?

Do you need to activate it with the steps laid out in the book in the cave? Try that. Wave, pour, clap? Though the book suggested it’s for PEOPLE, not vines...

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

FairGame posted:

Pour the elixir on them?

Do you need to activate it with the steps laid out in the book in the cave? Try that. Wave, pour, clap? Though the book suggested it’s for PEOPLE, not vines...

Well, we can try, at least.

I know the book on elixirs said to shake it, pour it, then clap, but it mentioned a person...

Ah, well. With all I've seen, that might just be a big fat lie. I'm going to pour it on this vines and give it a shot.

Hm. No dice. Maybe it is just for people.

What's with these vines, anyways?

We've still got plenty of time to spare, thread. What now?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Shake, pour on ourselves, clap?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bellmaker posted:

Shake, pour on ourselves, clap?

Im with this.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

My god, we’ve been Sabrina all along!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

FairGame posted:

My god, we’ve been Sabrina all along!

Sure, let's see if that pans out. We always needed to unleash our inner pop star. Update in a minute or two, apologies for the long break!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Let's try using the elixir on ourselves, then.

...Wait, was I Sabrina all along? Is my name truly not Goon?

...Well, I tried. Huh.

...Maybe if I look out the window I'll see something? I've just gotta get these vines out of my way-

O-oh? What's this thing?

A shooting star? Should I make a wish?

That shooting star means that we might just be able to beat the game now, just saying.

A revelation! A celestial happening! What shall we do now?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ahh, right.

Go back to the statue area.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

FairGame posted:

Ahh, right.

Go back to the statue area.

I have no idea what is going on but I'm going with this.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Back to the statue area it is!

Internet's acting funny all of the sudden! :argh:

Maybe I'll figure out this sarcophagus later... I have a feeling.

I retrace my steps back where I had that encounter.

...It was real all along! :tinfoil:

But...but, do I go inside? The door beckons to me...

Do we believe, thread? Are aliens real!?

Yeah, I'm kinda dragging this out- we're only a couple of actions from the end.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 30, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Going to get some rest for now, I'll be back in the morning and I'll probably run us through the ending of the game. We're about three steps away and all the choices are pretty obvious from here as there's not much left to do.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This game jumped the shark really suddenly, didn't it? Standard horror, werewolves, ghosts, vampires, ALIENS OUTTA NOWHERE.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Black Robe posted:

This game jumped the shark really suddenly, didn't it? Standard horror, werewolves, ghosts, vampires, ALIENS OUTTA NOWHERE.

It really does jump hard. You've got the spooky intro asking for your next of kin, there's all the spooky random events, "Sabrina dies at dawn!", a werewolf, and more, but it just goes straight off into goofy shenanigans before it's all done. See update following this for reference.

I don't know why this game went that way- maybe it's just because it was the 80's? A part of me really wishes the game had kept to it's serious horror nature, but even then I still find its silliness charming in a way.

Anyways, here's the end of the game!

I must go inside. It's the only way!

:frogsiren:

...I-I know the truth now! I have the solution!

This box is the key...

Sabrina! I'm coming for you!

I-it's... really her!

:magical:

...Wait, what mission?

...Come on magic elixir, work!

:swoon:

:sparkles: You look dumb.

:( I look cool!

:argh: EAGLES!!!

:sparkles: Why does that grave have your name on it?

:shrug:

To the boat!

Set sail, Humbolt!

:sparkles: ...You're not magic, you know.

:colbert: I am, too!

:sparkles: What are you doing in my room!?

:cool: Coming to save you from your father so we can act like irresponsible teenagers!

:sparkles: Eh, I'll take it.

And thus ends Transylvania. The second game re-interprets this ending for reasons, but still kinda continues on from here and still manages to end up feeling less serious at times. 2 sorta feels like a Scooby Doo episode compared to this game which tried to be creepy until it got too ridiculous to care.

I didn't expect we'd hit the end so quickly, but I did take it upon myself to avoid the wolf/vampire so we didn't really have any chance to die. All in all, it's a neat little game, if not mind-boggling in how it changes tone so fast.

I'll be bringing up an update in an hour or two that shows the fastest possible route through the game, and then I'll be completely done with this. If you've got any things you want me to test out, feel free to ask for it!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeah, that sure was a thing. Thanks for showing it off, I'd never heard of it before.

I'd like to see what happens if you use garlic on the vampire because that seems like an obvious thing most players would try. And are there any really weird deaths, like being mauled by the cat or something?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Black Robe posted:

Yeah, that sure was a thing. Thanks for showing it off, I'd never heard of it before.

I'd like to see what happens if you use garlic on the vampire because that seems like an obvious thing most players would try. And are there any really weird deaths, like being mauled by the cat or something?

Thanks for sticking around for it! My schedule opened up a lot for a few days and I decided to do this on a whim to see how it would go-.I was never sure at any point it would go as well as it did, but I'm glad to see it exceeded what I expected.

I've never actually tried the garlic, but I'm quite sure it's a trap. I'll experiment with it a bit! As for weird deaths, I don't know of any. I'm pretty sure the cat just hisses and claws at you and the protagonist is too much of a wimp to make a dash for the bottle. I can show you what happens when you time out the game, though- I've never actually done it, so it'd be interesting to see.

I'm writing up the fast update now, and I'll get to testing some stuff out right after.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

:spooky: TRANSYLVANIA: NEED FOR SPEED 7 :spooky:

No need for italics this time!

Title screen as usual.

This doesn't really cause the game to break or anything. Just makes it kinda confusing.

We start here as usual. As I answered earlier in the thread, you can knock stump immediately, but there's no point to. You don't need anything inside the stump cave.

Go north from the crossroads, ignore the note.

Immediately head into the cabin.

Pull antler to get inside the room, get and wear cloak, sing "Some Enchanted Evening" for the cross. Now leave.

Blast the vampire with it, being sure to use show cross

Open coffer, get ring, wear ring.

Killing the werewolf is entirely optional, therefore this is a Save the Animals run, right?

Anyways, head to the goblin.

Say IJNID. The frog doesn't have to tell you to do this. Get key!

:argh: EAAAGLEEEEESSSSS!!!

The random eagle event is really annoying and only helps sometimes. I believe it can send you to any location, but it really loves the stump, the crossroads near the goblin, and the field with the statue. It really loves putting you back at the stump.

Anyways, make your way back to the graveyard and make like Link, pushing your grave. Go down and get the elixir.

Wave hand at the statue. You must have the ring and the cloak on for this.

The werewolf is a tricky one- if he appears when you initiated an event with a large amount of text like this one, the game will not announce his arrival. He will eat you more often than you'd expect for a mistype.

Now hide somewhere, using the wait command, or run in circles avoiding the werewolf. The trigger for the alien event is simply a timer that starts after you free the little gray man. Leaving the werewolf alive makes this a bit tedious, since entering the saucer while he's on the screen results in your death as soon as you exit it.

Seeing the shooting star is the indication that the saucer landed back in the clearing.

Once you get the black box, head back to the castle.

Climb the ladder, move vines, shake and pour elixir on Sabrina, then clap hands.

Yeah, the werewolf doesn't do anything to Sabrina as far as I know. Even if the eagle drags you away from her, she'll still head in your direction.

Hey look, you won the game!

Pro-tip: If you hit enter twice on the ending screen to reload the graphics, you'll find that Sabrina is a really big lady.

...And that's about it. I'll test out the garlic and such next, until then have this picture of me dying to the werewolf because I went in the wrong direction after being hauled away by an eagle.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Secret Beauty and the Beast ending where Sabrina runs off with the werewolf?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

REGARDING GARLIC, YOUR MOTHER'S SPAGHETTI, AND CATS

After some testing, it seems the vampire will not show up if you have the garlic present. It does have a use, wow! It's detrimental in the long run since you still can't get the ring or go up the ladder without banishing him, but still, wow!

Also, this is what the vampire death looks like. He counts as non-living because kissing him returns "That's not healthy." instead of "Isn't that a little corny?" which it usually replies to the frog and werewolf.

Eating the garlic responds with this. It does not make the vampire flee. Eating the bread just responds "It tasted awful."

Kissing the cat also returns that's not healthy.

The cat is also hardcore and nearly takes your fingers off for trying to pet it. :negative:

Any more questions?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Black Robe posted:

Secret Beauty and the Beast ending where Sabrina runs off with the werewolf?

I'm pretty sure you can actually end the game with the werewolf and Sabrina on the boat at the same time.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Heh, cool stuff. So if the garlic has a hidden use, does the broom? I think that's the only item we found that we really couldn't figure out what to do with, since the bread can at least be eaten even if there's no point to doing so.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Black Robe posted:

Heh, cool stuff. So if the garlic has a hidden use, does the broom? I think that's the only item we found that we really couldn't figure out what to do with, since the bread can at least be eaten even if there's no point to doing so.

SORRY, WE'RE FRESH OUT OF BROOMS

The only thing I can think of with the broom is to try and sweep the stump with it.

Fun thing, this. You have enough space for the pistol and the bar, but not the pistol, bar, and bullet. That's a jerk move.

Doesn't seem to work. Doesn't even work to brush the spider out of the corner, either.

Anything else to check out?

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 30, 2019

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Can you... sweep up the vampire or wolf dust? I'm out of ideas but it goes against all the laws of God and man to have items in a point and click you can't use in some baffling and obscure way nobody sane would ever think of :v:

Aside from the broom I think you showed us everything, thanks for a neat mini-LP :)

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Black Robe posted:

Can you... sweep up the vampire or wolf dust? I'm out of ideas but it goes against all the laws of God and man to have items in a point and click you can't use in some baffling and obscure way nobody sane would ever think of :v:

Aside from the broom I think you showed us everything, thanks for a neat mini-LP :)

...I think it really may be just useless. Maybe one day I'll uncover the secret of the broom. :hai:

Thanks again for joining me!

I'd also still like to thank everyone who joined me in this mini-LP along the way, since I was never sure if this idea was going to pan out well. It did in the end, and your participation really made this a blast to do!

I was thinking about it, and even though I've got another LP running right now, I wouldn't mind playing some more obscure games if you all think it's a good idea! I've got some more DOS, NES, and MSX games in my collection that would do well for an obscure game thread, and I know for one of them I could give an actual shot at a narrative.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm down for seeing more weird little games I've never heard of, sure :)

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Black Robe posted:

I'm down for seeing more weird little games I've never heard of, sure :)

Alright, I'll take a look at preparing a thread for it then! I just got two interesting Game Gear games, that are at least worth a look, so my library's already expanded. Do you think I should open the thread for others to contribute?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Do whatever makes you happy! I really enjoyed this thread and I'd be excited if you did other short old text parser games.

But I'll look at whatever; I'm a sucker for an LP that I (well, the player) can complete in a few days. And you did a nice job with this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

FairGame posted:

Do whatever makes you happy! I really enjoyed this thread and I'd be excited if you did other short old text parser games.

But I'll look at whatever; I'm a sucker for an LP that I (well, the player) can complete in a few days. And you did a nice job with this!

Thanks! I'm just happy to know folks had fun with this in the end!

I'll probably end up running both of the other Transylvanias when I get some more free days to run it on like I did this one. Most of the games I'll be showing off won't take me very long to reach the end of either, but a few are lengthier than others.

I'll get to work on writing up the thread later tonight then!