Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
man this crap is lame
at least you got a job
:fap:
gently caress YOU OP - GOKU
View Results

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dinosaurs! posted:

Got an unfixable flat and I can’t just buy two tires because my car is AWD. Tread is about half gone, so I either buy a single new tire and have half its tread shaved or replace everything a couple years earlier than I figured.

Check out a wrecking yard and see if there are any tires the same size and similar tread/wear. There should be dozens that will work that you can choose from. $50 would probably be on the high side as well if you ask nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Literally A Person posted:

My grandma died yesterday and I it's made me realize that with everything I've been through in the past few years my heart is hard and I no longer have the ability to feel pain deeply. It's worrisome.

i feel nothing. luckily, that includes worry so you're only half gone if that

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I'm sorry about your grandma LAP. I hope you have lots of good memories of her and get to share them with your family right now.

and I'd like to suggest maybe seeing a therapist at some point because honestly it's great talking to a neutral third party who won't judge you. it's like so much easier talking to a stranger it's weird lol I speak from very recent experience

I've always been super averse to seeing someone about brain stuff but I might take this advice. I've been trying not to weigh down the folks in my life with my problems and having someone to talk with that I wouldn't feel guilty about would be nice.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Play posted:

i feel nothing. luckily, that includes worry so you're only half gone if that

Now you're just trying to make me feel better.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I've always been super averse to seeing someone about brain stuff but I might take this advice. I've been trying not to weigh down the folks in my life with my problems and having someone to talk with that I wouldn't feel guilty about would be nice.

yeah, exactly, that's why it's so freeing. you're not unloading your baggage on anyone you care about. mental health is just health. my PMs are open if you have questions or like just want to talk or something I dunno

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

seriously give it a shot? sincere short of E/N here, but I gave it a shot in the last year and it does help if you're working with the right person. I really had a hard time starting it because of personal/societal stigma, whatever, but it was worth it for me. if you don't like it you can always stop.

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE
Also re. therapy remember that therapists are just people and you're gonna get along with some and not others. If you get one you don't get on with, get a different one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Welp, I had my first date in ages and she decided that scoring some weed was more interesting. Then I went home, picked up my toddler and he threw such a big tantrum he threw up all the strawberries he just ate. I still can't get the red out of the carpet.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

FoolyCharged posted:

Welp, I had my first date in ages and she decided that scoring some weed was more interesting. Then I went home, picked up my toddler and he threw such a big tantrum he threw up all the strawberries he just ate. I still can't get the red out of the carpet.

Sounds like dodging a bullet imo. People who can’t do anything without bringing weed into it are insufferable.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, that poo poo is the worst. At least she didn't leave you sitting at the restaurant table while she smoked up in the bathroom alone every 45 minutes.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
pomegranate seeds are unpleasant to eat
everyone cuts mango wrong

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

gary oldmans diary posted:

:wrong:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

You should see me cut a mango, bb.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

once you find a good therapist therapy is great, like legit i look forward to seeing mine because shes cool and i get to talk about myself the entire time while she asks me interesting questions

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ocean Book posted:

once you find a good therapist therapy is great, like legit i look forward to seeing mine because shes cool and i get to talk about myself the entire time while she asks me interesting questions

same. those 45 mins are legit the most exciting of my sad, pathetic week

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

loving restrain your dogs if your dog is aggressive and an rear end in a top hat!

I was delivering a pizza on Friday night near 11PM at the end of this cul-de-sac in a paved trailer park. Knowing from having delivered there before, the driveway is part concrete, part wooden boards, part mud pits, so I stay in the road. The driveway is at like 12:30 on a clock, as soon as I hit 1:00 this loving pit bull darts at my car barking like hell before I can even put it in park, circling, jumping on the windows, not in a "o hi so happy ur here" way but in a whole-bodied "you're here and I don't want you to be" way, loving biting my tires and bumpers. I call the dude and he comes out with no shirt on and we handle the whole transaction through my driver's window.

He just walks back to his house while his lovely dog continues to try to fight my car. I spend a few minutes trying to inch forward, literally three or four inches at a time when this lovely dog is near the back half of my car, eventually getting turned around to face the right way, the dog is behind me and I hit the gas, and ten or fifteen yards later the back driver's side wheel goes BUMP. lovely dog chased my car and tried to bite it and got loving hit.

This trailer park is really poorly lit, and now I've got an aggressive and angry dog that's now hurt and probably scared, just fuel to the fire, and I don't know this guy, maybe he's got a short temper and some guns, so I get the gently caress out of there.

It took until 3AM for the proper authorities to visit me after I made a call to their dispatch explaining what happened, and all they had to tell me was what I already knew, the owner and dog violated a bunch of laws and ordinances, and it was in a public roadway, so he can try to sue me but it wouldn't go anywhere.

I loving love pittys, my sister has two and they're awesome dogs, unless they're given a lovely situation or deliberately trained to be a lovely dog.

I think this was the right thread to vent in. gently caress you if you have dogs and don't keep them in a good environment, it's your loving fault, trailer park guy with lovely dog.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 17, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Chief McHeath posted:

I think this was the right thread to vent in.
thats the other thread you idiot

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
poo poo is wack

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
I'm just not having a lot of fun these days.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
I would consider some of my coworkers friends, we're all close in age and sometimes get together outside of work. However, my one coworker has been butthurt for the last year about the fact that I got a promotion to full-time over her. I had been there for five years and she had been there for about six months at that point. After the decision was announced, she decided to tell me a number of times that she had been crying in the shower at home over not getting the position and that she needed the money so she and her husband could buy a house. Her husband's family bought them a house anyway like two months later and she's covered on her husband's insurance so it's not entirely a dire "I need benefits now" kind of deal.

Aside from the lovely little comments over the past year along the lines of "I wouldn't have to ask you to fix this if you had done your job correctly in the first place" things hadn't been too bad, but at the staff Christmas party she acted like an rear end in a top hat and never apologized even after I told her it pissed me off because she "thought we were doing a bit."

I tried to make it up to her, even though I absolutely should not have had to do so, by pushing her to take on a project leader position, even though I really wanted it because it's a pretty big deal new thing. I pointed out to her that working on said project would look really good when the next promotion opportunity rolled around. She struts around like she's the hottest poo poo ever while also complaining about how much she doesn't like being a leader and how much extra work she has to do blah blah blah.

So now another full-time position has opened up. From talking to my supervisor, I kind of knew that out of the six part-timers who would be interested, only two were considered actually in the running, butthurt coworker being one of them. My supervisor, given this not-great candidate pool, decided to open up the position to include candidates from outside of our department for the first time and now everyone is panicking. You would think everyone would start being on their best behavior or whatever. And yet. I was chatting to some other coworkers and made a joke about being terrible at math even though I do statistics and butthurt coworker asks loudly "and this is what got promoted over me?" Cue awkward pause in conversation. My supervisor's desk is right behind mine, so I'm pretty sure they heard it, too.

I'm fed up with the attitude and mentioned it to my supervisor who asked if I wanted them to intervene. I said no, hopefully if I ignore it she'll stop, but my supervisor was all "that rarely works." I feel like it was kind of a crappy move for me to say anything at all because it might hurt her chances at this position. But I don't know, should I feel bad? Or did she bring this on herself? Sorry for the wall of text. Office politics are always stupid.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

CynCyanide posted:

I would consider some of my coworkers friends, we're all close in age and sometimes get together outside of work. However, my one coworker has been butthurt for the last year about the fact that I got a promotion to full-time over her. I had been there for five years and she had been there for about six months at that point. After the decision was announced, she decided to tell me a number of times that she had been crying in the shower at home over not getting the position and that she needed the money so she and her husband could buy a house. Her husband's family bought them a house anyway like two months later and she's covered on her husband's insurance so it's not entirely a dire "I need benefits now" kind of deal.

Aside from the lovely little comments over the past year along the lines of "I wouldn't have to ask you to fix this if you had done your job correctly in the first place" things hadn't been too bad, but at the staff Christmas party she acted like an rear end in a top hat and never apologized even after I told her it pissed me off because she "thought we were doing a bit."

I tried to make it up to her, even though I absolutely should not have had to do so, by pushing her to take on a project leader position, even though I really wanted it because it's a pretty big deal new thing. I pointed out to her that working on said project would look really good when the next promotion opportunity rolled around. She struts around like she's the hottest poo poo ever while also complaining about how much she doesn't like being a leader and how much extra work she has to do blah blah blah.

So now another full-time position has opened up. From talking to my supervisor, I kind of knew that out of the six part-timers who would be interested, only two were considered actually in the running, butthurt coworker being one of them. My supervisor, given this not-great candidate pool, decided to open up the position to include candidates from outside of our department for the first time and now everyone is panicking. You would think everyone would start being on their best behavior or whatever. And yet. I was chatting to some other coworkers and made a joke about being terrible at math even though I do statistics and butthurt coworker asks loudly "and this is what got promoted over me?" Cue awkward pause in conversation. My supervisor's desk is right behind mine, so I'm pretty sure they heard it, too.

I'm fed up with the attitude and mentioned it to my supervisor who asked if I wanted them to intervene. I said no, hopefully if I ignore it she'll stop, but my supervisor was all "that rarely works." I feel like it was kind of a crappy move for me to say anything at all because it might hurt her chances at this position. But I don't know, should I feel bad? Or did she bring this on herself? Sorry for the wall of text. Office politics are always stupid.

No, do not feel bad. The only way people learn from their lovely behavior is by being called out on it. It'd be different if it was a 1 time thing and you tattled to your boss on someone having a bad day, but this is clearly a pattern of behavior that, aside from being annoying, indicates that this person doesn't yet have the skills or maturity to be a in a position of overseeing other people. If she were to be put in that position, she'd likely fail to deliver and work really hard to blame everyone else for her shortcomings. I see it all the time in my field where people are given project management roles without any of the skills or training required to fulfill those duties, and they freak the gently caress out and try and figure out who else's fault it can be so they don't get blamed.

The best thing that could happen to her is that someone sits down and has an honest conversation about why she isn't getting the position, and lay out a solid plan for her of how she can work towards the goal of getting to the position that she wants when it becomes available. If you have an HR department, your supervisor should be meeting with the butthurt employee to ask if they want to sit down and come up with an action plan. I know that all sounds super corporate and dumb, but it's how companies retain and grow employees if they're worth it, and if not, work them out of the organization.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 17, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

CynCyanide posted:

Ignore and avoid as much as possible. she's holding her grudge and there's nothing you can do to make it better, so gently caress it. you don't owe her anything at this point. I get why you felt bad at first, but it's been a year?? you can definitely have a "gently caress her" attitude now.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Chief McHeath posted:

I think this was the right thread to vent in. gently caress you if you have dogs and don't keep them in a good environment, it's your loving fault, trailer park guy with lovely dog.

The owner should be put down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m getting laid off soon but I have no idea when, and the people who are laying me off have no idea when. I’m good with any length of time, it’s either money or time off, but I just want to know when I’m done so I’m not getting jerked around. It’s kind of the downside to being one of the last people standing on a construction project but it still sucks.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
i saw the guy on the bike again and this time we were both going the same way only he was on the other side of the road, when i passed him i saw him flip me off in my rear view mirror.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
loving loving gently caress. What in the gently caress... aghhh. Why is it some people behave like adults and some don't. Who the poo poo knows. Bleh. My job is actually great, just sometimes you gotta vent.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Fuckin' Stops Signs, How do they work?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Blistex posted:

Fuckin' Stops Signs, How do they work?
theyre just yield signs gone bad and yield signs are just pushier versions of caution signs

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
this for example

negative... negative... negative :smith:

but what if? :thunk:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

theyre just yield signs gone bad and yield signs are just pushier versions of caution signs

In an older vent thread I posted pics of a local intersection where they installed two yield signs. One on the main street and one on the side-road that merged. I was pretty loving confused the first time I was nearly run off the main road.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
yielddome. 2 car enter 1 car leave

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Stop is a less humiliating order than yield imo. Like if a cop orders you to stop there's a chance you may walk off with a fine but if they order you to yield, well, they will molest and maybe murder you.

What I'm saying is

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A town on my way to work replaced the stop lights with traffic circles and it’s a clusterfuck in the best circumstances, especially since there’s a school on that stretch so from 7-8am it’s a disaster.

Today wasn’t the best circumstances, since it’s on a slight hill and today that hill was pointed directly at the sun. Have you ever seen what happens with two traffic circles and heavy traffic, one direction of which is almost completely blind? It was a disaster. I managed to both be rear ended and rear end somebody. Luckily, both times were slow enough that there was no damage to speak of, because we were too blind to go more than like 3 MPH.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
So I just confirmed with a specialist that I am getting arthritis in my hands. On one hand, not surprising. Doctors were telling me at age ten that I'd likely get arthritis in my twenties as a side effect of my cerebral palsy, but how do I put it: when you're ten a decade seems like a long ways away. It's one thing to hear some dude in a white coat tell you something, it's quite another to wake up one day at the age of 26 and notice that your hands hurt a fair bit out of the blue, and that you can't hold on to things as tightly as you used to.

This pretty much all but confirms that I'm going to have to go on disability income. Not now, but soon. Much much sooner than I'd like.

Getting old sucks. Getting old when you're disabled sucks worse. All my worst nightmares are slowly coming true and I'm powerless to stop them.

:negative:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

magic cactus posted:

So I just confirmed with a specialist that I am getting arthritis in my hands. On one hand, not surprising.

Well is it one hand, or both? Keep your story straight!!!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Chomp8645 posted:

Well is it one hand, or both? Keep your story straight!!!

Made me laugh. Thanks. That was necessary.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:tipshat:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I hate that no one knows how to commute in this city. Everyone walks way too slow or blocks the left side of the escalator or they just pause at bizarre times. Then you've got assholes who try to charge onto vehicles the moment the doors open rather than letting people off. Or idiots who don't know how to line up properly so there's a ton of space left in front and jerks can sidecut everyone else. Bitch, I'd like to go home rather than spend one more second rubbing elbows with the shuffling masses.

Every day I consider biting the bullet and signing up for a parking spot but public transportation is covered by work whereas I'd have to pay for parking. And all the drivers are guilty of the same poo poo I mentioned above.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Today I was making GBS threads at work, and Lo and behold, I felt the cold touch of water on my nutsack. Is this what growing old feels like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Today I was making GBS threads at work, and Lo and behold, I felt the cold touch of water on my nutsack. Is this what growing old feels like?
not sure. did it feel like life had become a joke? if so...