Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Man I suck at this, I think I have five or six guys already, all dead either on Sicily or in Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't die!
That's really the most important thing to focus on. You don't have to kill your opponent just survive until you're rotated out. Don't give your life for Rome, hold onto it instead.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Verviticus posted:

every fight that involves me successfully feinting is immediately countered by a successful recovery by the enemy. when do i actually attack them?

At this point I've basically decided to just not bother with feints anymore. Like you mentioned, they generally do less stability damage than a recovery does, well, recover. And while they are safe in the sense that a miss doesn't cost you anything, they're also fairly costly in terms of fatigue.

Instead I generally stay defensive (assuming I don't have good odds to hit with an attack from neutral) and wait until the enemy misses with one of their own attacks. Wearing chain mail helps a lot here, since that more or less forces them to go for low-odds limb attacks. Once they do miss and you have a stability-advantage, you can go to town. If you've got good chance to hit with an attack go for that, since injury also reduces their stats somewhat. If you don't, try to go for a shield knock or charge. They're like super-feints, and will often entirely drain the enemy stability if they do hit.

The key point is that once you do have a stability advantage, keep on the offensive. If you miss it's usually no big deal because then you'll just be at even stability again. Enemies will tend to try and recover when their stability is low, so you can usually keep hacking away with little risk to yourself. And once the enemy does manage to recover, you can do a recovery of your own with a 100% success chance.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Perestroika posted:

At this point I've basically decided to just not bother with feints anymore. Like you mentioned, they generally do less stability damage than a recovery does, well, recover. And while they are safe in the sense that a miss doesn't cost you anything, they're also fairly costly in terms of fatigue.

Instead I generally stay defensive (assuming I don't have good odds to hit with an attack from neutral) and wait until the enemy misses with one of their own attacks. Wearing chain mail helps a lot here, since that more or less forces them to go for low-odds limb attacks. Once they do miss and you have a stability-advantage, you can go to town. If you've got good chance to hit with an attack go for that, since injury also reduces their stats somewhat. If you don't, try to go for a shield knock or charge. They're like super-feints, and will often entirely drain the enemy stability if they do hit.

The key point is that once you do have a stability advantage, keep on the offensive. If you miss it's usually no big deal because then you'll just be at even stability again. Enemies will tend to try and recover when their stability is low, so you can usually keep hacking away with little risk to yourself. And once the enemy does manage to recover, you can do a recovery of your own with a 100% success chance.

yeah this is more or less what i ended up deciding on. for timed fights i'll do quick feints from defensive position but otherwise its mostly defensive respite, lol

any thoughts on the best characters to roll up? seems like mental stats are generally harder to increase and get you access to stuff like better training earlier. im trying to roll high cha/awa characters with more or less 50 across physical stats

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The one time I use feints is when I've already Exhausted a character. Their chance to successfully Recover basically becomes zero, so I Feint them down to zero stance then start chopping the neck.

Man the Chiliarch is a dick.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks for all the input, it's helping me a lot!

If anything needs go in the OP let me know, I might overhaul it soon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I recently ran a character where I cranked his starting Co-ordination up to 75. It may be placebo but it really seemed to help how quickly he learned to sword. I think Co-ordination and Strength might be the most important physical stats to get high.

Edit: As a new legionary, one of the first things you need to to equipment-wise is to trade your pectoral plate for a linen tunic. The tunic is less protective, but it has way more coverage and that's extremely important. You'll swap out for chainmail eventually but that's a long way in the future.
The second thing you need is a better sword. Any of the 3/3 swords will do.
After that probably greaves and a better helmet, and then you're set.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 8, 2019

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
To progress you need to stay alaive, a good way to ensure that is to decline certain fights. Sometimes you're given the choice of fighting immediately after or before a battle. If you're low on health or tired it's usually better to not fight. Surviving for longer and finish the campaign is more important than maybe winning a pointless skirmish against some random libyian.

When some of you're legionaries have made it home or at least far enough to get a good score you can use that for the next legionary who'll hopefully last longer/do better.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
do you get more points if you retire as opposed to dying at some point? always wonder if i should retire some of my guys after a1

Tias
May 25, 2008

Retiring instead of dying gives +100 pts for the high score, yes. If you're nearing enough points at the close of a campaign to enter the hall of fame, it's an easy way to game yourself more points at your next character creation.

Tias fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 8, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Lone Badger posted:

I recently ran a character where I cranked his starting Co-ordination up to 75. It may be placebo but it really seemed to help how quickly he learned to sword. I think Co-ordination and Strength might be the most important physical stats to get high.

Quickness is also important imo. Missing a turn when you're off-balance can be fatal and extra turns can really help to exploit openings or recover from a bad situation. Also, missing a turn when you finally get an opening against a difficult to hit enemy is really annoying.

Regarding feints, I've had some luck with them, but I think they're a lot better once you have a few dead/retired guys with good scores and you're rolling dudes with higher stats and going for more kills rather than just trying to survive. Feints synergise well with quickness letting you get hits in before the enemy can recover, but can require some persistence to get the most out of them as you wait for the feint to succeed and the enemy to fail their recovery roll, which means you need to be able to handle the fatigue. Remember that even if the enemy successfully recovers, every turn they spend recovering is a turn they're not swinging at you. They can be really good for some of the harder duels against high defense enemies - wait for them to miss you, then feint, then go for a weak spot or a shield charge when you finally have a good chance to hit. A successful charge can give you several free turns of swings.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wow I just had a dude with super swordsmanship, a civic crown, gold armilla, etc etc at the battle of Zama get taken from 75% health to dead in a single rando "Attack Neck" from a Brutian when I'd killed like 7 of them already lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

For anyone who needs help beating the Agema Chiliarch, here's my strat:

e: also, here's the Seric Iron Gladius compared with the Chiliarch's sword, which I believe is the next best weapon in the game:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 8, 2019

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

This game is a dangerous time eater, I have run a number of scrubs who died on their first campaign but my most recent guy survived the African campaign to head to Macedonia. He had a civic crown, 70+ combat skills and very high attributes, he was clad head to toe in high quality gear with a fancy sword whilst being a senior centurion.

I tried to be a hero and split off to save a guy who fell down a cliff, two elite skirmishers murdered me. Then I checked the clock and found that my evening had also been murdered.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

im pretty sure this is correct regarding coordination

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Can confirm, after winning three mural crowns and defeating the Chiliarch, then spending all my points turning my next guy into the literal embodiment of Aries himself I immediately got knocked over and stabbed in the dick by a Gallic Mercenary on the second mission.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its loving crazy some moron spearman getting a charge off can instantly ruin your game. gently caress man

its never even in the multi-unit fights. its just 1v1 me vs some guy who isnt even wearing armor and boom my neck opens up for 30 health

edit: also man ive passed the second? campaign awareness check twice in like 30 attempts and i min/max for awareness. and all it opens up is a 3v3 fight against mooks

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Verviticus posted:

its loving crazy some moron spearman getting a charge off can instantly ruin your game. gently caress man

its never even in the multi-unit fights. its just 1v1 me vs some guy who isnt even wearing armor and boom my neck opens up for 30 health

edit: also man ive passed the second? campaign awareness check twice in like 30 attempts and i min/max for awareness. and all it opens up is a 3v3 fight against mooks

If you win the awareness check you can save a roman guy and win a civic crown. I've only done it once in 30 attempts even if had like 60 awareness.

Also, does anyone know how you get a grass crown? there's an achievement for it but it's never come up for me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fader Movitz posted:

Also, does anyone know how you get a grass crown? there's an achievement for it but it's never come up for me.

It's the hardest thing in the game, by a large margin.
First, you have to cut through the phalanx at the final battle. Doing so pitches you into a fight against a group of armoured enemies, you have to kill them all before you run out of time.
Then, do that again.
Next, pass a difficult INT check (or possibly AWR, not sure)
Then fight the final boss

Kinda vague on some points because I haven't done it myself.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Yeah that seems way harder than anything else. I chopped my way through the phalanx twice but never managed to kill enough phalangites i guess.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Well my latest run I managed to hit 70+ sword and shield skill whilst still in the Africa campaign! I won the civic crown after fighting five dudes then dragging the wounded velite to safety, was already a centurion, then got to challenge an enemy chieftain to single combat.

I was kicking his rear end despite already being injured, he was exhausted, right up until he slashed me twice in the throat through full stance, in chained actions, killing me. Oops.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Get all three civic crowns and they make you a senator.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The Chiliarch is that drat elite vanguard at the end right? I was owning everyone so I finally give him a try. Motherfucker kept hitting my legs and arms. I was trying to play conservatively and tire him out but he kept scoring. I got him more than halfway down when he was tired but my luck ran out. Great run too. Ah well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Lone Badger posted:

Get all three civic crowns and they make you a senator.

I got there with two

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

The Chiliarch is that drat elite vanguard at the end right? I was owning everyone so I finally give him a try. Motherfucker kept hitting my legs and arms. I was trying to play conservatively and tire him out but he kept scoring. I got him more than halfway down when he was tired but my luck ran out. Great run too. Ah well.

That guy is a total dick. I had about 10% health left when I managed to tire him out, do several feints to drain his poise to zero, then cut his head off.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

with regards to downtime: what do you do by the end of the second campaign and into the third when training gets you basically nothing? just swim until you get coordination and then train weapons again?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Two questions from here:

How do you get to a point where you can afford chain mail? Even if I start maxing out my coin and puchase gear sparingly that I can cheaply upgrade it, AND find the envelope full of cash, I still bleed money too quickly to afford even short chain. I sense I should be working towards promotion, but at which campaign is it realistic to afford mail?

How does the 'soft spot' mechanic work, and how, if ever, is it good to use? I never see better to hit or penetration values than regular attacks when calling up the menu :confused:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Tias posted:

How do you get to a point where you can afford chain mail? Even if I start maxing out my coin and puchase gear sparingly that I can cheaply upgrade it, AND find the envelope full of cash, I still bleed money too quickly to afford even short chain. I sense I should be working towards promotion, but at which campaign is it realistic to afford mail?

I'm assuming when you say you're bleeding money, you're spending it on upgrading other stuff first? It's a lot easier to afford chainmail if you spend some of your character points on gear, it's pretty cheap to upgrade your starting kit significantly with points and then you don't have to spend money on those slots and can beeline for mail. That said, I just did a 0-point full run and got my first mail at some point in the second campaign, after upgrading every other slot first and also buying another chest armour beforehand.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I typically get chain in the second campaign.

Also holy poo poo working out what that green circle does really makes every boss a pushover huh?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Getting robbed, buying cold weather gear, losing money gambling (come to think of it, what trait regulates skill at games? Int?) faster than I can make larger sums

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Tias posted:

what trait regulates skill at games? Int?

For board games yeah, for dice it's pure rng

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

I never gamble that much, if i need the morale, I usually sacrifice for a big boost or have fun. If you need to improve relations I find patrols to be better since you don't loose money from it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fader Movitz posted:

I never gamble that much, if i need the morale, I usually sacrifice for a big boost or have fun. If you need to improve relations I find patrols to be better since you don't loose money from it.

Money isn't a scarce resource after the first few playthroughs, and the "leisure" activities reduce your workout stress more than the patrols

Tias
May 25, 2008

Fader Movitz posted:

Oh ok, someone itt recommended playing dice a lot to boost troop relation so I went with that. Perhaps I'll stat a brainicus and grind board gaming instead?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Money isn't a scarce resource after the first few playthroughs, and the "leisure" activities reduce your workout stress more than the patrols

True, but i never had much trouble with morale or stress even if i didn't use leisure activities as long as i sacrificed and remembered to cycle training and working out. Tbh, that could be suboptimal but it's worked for me so far.

Tias posted:

Oh ok, someone itt recommended playing dice a lot to boost troop relation so I went with that. Perhaps I'll stat a brainicus and grind board gaming instead?

Could work. In a lot of games you can pick up chain mail from encounters too, like the gallic chieftain or the Carthaginian noble.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

That noble has really good quality mail as well, though he is seriously dangerous at the point in the game where you meet him. He seems to tire out pretty easily though so if you are decent with your shield then you can just never feint, attack his arms when he is exposed and wait for him to slow down.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I once, during the africa mission which gives a really short break, saw a chainmail which had better stats than other chainmail, but it was still just under the same name. It had like an additional 20 coverage points and cost 30% more.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is that the one that has both arm and leg protection? Only a tiny bit of each, but still...
Usually costs about 1200-1300 denarii.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Lone Badger posted:

Is that the one that has both arm and leg protection? Only a tiny bit of each, but still...
Usually costs about 1200-1300 denarii.

Yeah. I've only noticed it the one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I finally got somebody through to complete all three campaigns, no successful hacking through of phalanxes but he did end up becoming a senator, even if his attempt at a political career stalled at quaestor.

It is amazing how much cash rolls in during the last campaign especially if you start duel murdering people with mail then selling it.