Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm not sure how to hack through a phalanx, 80 weapon skill doesn't seem to be enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah you probably want 85+ and the seric iron sword to do it reliably

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I read some reviews which said that the game was all RNG. Was that ever resolved?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
resolved how

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

It’s pretty fuckin rng yeah

It gets mitigated as you fill your graveyard and get points to spend at character creation on making better dudes but a string of bad rolls can and will gently caress you. That said the game is beatable with a 0 point character with careful play and a bit of luck. It took me 4 or 5 attempts but it’s possible.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Patrat posted:

I finally got somebody through to complete all three campaigns, no successful hacking through of phalanxes but he did end up becoming a senator, even if his attempt at a political career stalled at quaestor.

It is amazing how much cash rolls in during the last campaign especially if you start duel murdering people with mail then selling it.

Congratulations! I've never gotten anybody to consul and I'm not entirely sure how to do so.

Diogines posted:

I read some reviews which said that the game was all RNG. Was that ever resolved?

It does have a lot of RNG but it's consistently winnable from a fresh run, provided you avoid a lot of risks. I've done zero-stat runs and if you're just an abject coward you probably won't die.

Probably.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Congratulations! I've never gotten anybody to consul and I'm not entirely sure how to do so.

My aedile finishes said something about not having enough funds to go further politically so I think you gotta finish the game with a poo poo ton of money.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 12, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the biggest thing to remember in this game is that when you are a punk from nowhere, act like a punk from nowhere. up against an even match? gently caress that, fight defensively and wait for him to tire out and make a mistake. dude next to you falls over? sorry, bud, i'm occupied by my shield. centurion wants people to volunteer for a dangerous duty? keep looking, 'fro boy, you don't pay me enough for this poo poo.

living through the campaign like a coward will give you a ton more points and be a ton less frustrating than dying in the first campaign like a punk 80 times. then once you have a few thousand points to spend you can start with a decent sword, some chain mail, and solid stats and THEN you can be the runaway success from the get go.

toward that end, i've been rejecting every character that doesn't have about 70 intelligence AND charisma. charisma defuses a lot of fights and still makes you look fashionable, and at 70 intelligence you pretty much always win and get opinion/morale from playing board games, so the little knocks to opinion you get for being an abject coward won't mean poo poo and people will love you anyway.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 12, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's actually charisma to get Opinion from board games. Intelligence is to win money.

But yeah, as a basic character remember that your job is to exist at people. You very rarely have to kill anybody, just avoid dying until the next rotation.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

It's actually charisma to get Opinion from board games. Intelligence is to win money.

But yeah, as a basic character remember that your job is to exist at people. You very rarely have to kill anybody, just avoid dying until the next rotation.

yeah i worded that poorly, i meant that you win routinely at 70 int, which lets your charisma do its work.

related: a coward:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ah, what I think you mean is that with high charisma and intelligence you will routinely get both Opinion and money simultaneously, which gives you a Morale boost, which offsets the Morale penalty for staying in defensive stance.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Ah, what I think you mean is that with high charisma and intelligence you will routinely get both Opinion and money simultaneously, which gives you a Morale boost, which offsets the Morale penalty for staying in defensive stance.

it also lets you train harder since you can spend less time getting your exercise overwork down.

e: to be clear on the power of this:

this is the second time period, and all i did was kill 2 militiamen in the first battle. beyond that i ducked out of stronghold duty and generally kept my head down.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 12, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The stronghold gives you a fuckton of opinion and 100 denarii though, and barring RNG bloodlust it's pretty survivable even on a 0 point character if you're in good shape going in and stay super defensive.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
starting with chain mail seems like a massive waste of points that could go to valuable stats. on top of that, awareness to me is way more important to hit 70 than int

if you kill 2 militiamen and survive against the garrison mercs you can get promoted on the first go around which means free morale for being smart and charismatic

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

arguably it's early enough in the game that it's worth going after even with that risk because you have invested so little in that playthrough thus far, too - but i'd just as soon keep living longer for those sweet juicy points.

Verviticus posted:

starting with chain mail seems like a massive waste of points that could go to valuable stats. on top of that, awareness to me is way more important to hit 70 than int

if you kill 2 militiamen and survive against the garrison mercs you can get promoted on the first go around which means free morale for being smart and charismatic

you get promoted pretty fast anyway, i've literally never gotten through the first campaign without being promoted unless my stats make me a fuckup somehow (like 30 endurance or whatever)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Verviticus posted:

Yeah, back and breast plate is a decent investment but a THOUSAND points on chainmail is nonsense.

especially when you can loot it off gallic merc captains sometimes on scouting missions, and the light infantry captain? every run

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the thing to me about the chainmail is that i can rely on it. i keep a linen curiass pretty much all the time until i get chainmail just because back and breastplate rolls a freaking 1d2 to do anything at all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Coolguye posted:

the thing to me about the chainmail is that i can rely on it. i keep a linen curiass pretty much all the time until i get chainmail just because back and breastplate rolls a freaking 1d2 to do anything at all.

i've torso-stabbed waaaaay too many Libyans to death to trust linen armor

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i've torso-stabbed waaaaay too many Libyans to death to trust linen armor

agreed.

which is why i'm all about the good quality chainmail with no muss or fuss.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you have 1000 points spare to spend on chainmail, then you're 'ard enough to duel for it instead.

I always spending the 60pts for a decent sword tho.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah that sword would be a bargain at twice the price. i also like the helmet for what it costs, it makes it a lot more likely you'll be able to take the citadel at new carthage since a lucky head hit is about half as likely to take your brainpan with it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ive done a few runs with the 3500 point upgrades and been underwhelmed

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CommonShore posted:

does it at least make getting over 75 skill easier

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I think spending the points on physical stats might actually be better.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The 3.5k ones are really strong, but I wouldn't recommend grabbing them as soon as you have 3.5k to spend. Once you have like 4.5 k to spend then grab one and you'll still have enough left over for gear and a good boost to your stats. Spending points on stats does have diminishing returns (in that they get more and more expensive) and the 3.5k upgrades do make a huge difference to how fast you skill up weapons and shields.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Coolguye posted:

does it at least make getting over 75 skill easier

Yes, I've finished runs with 90+ in both categories

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wafflecopper posted:

The 3.5k ones are really strong, but I wouldn't recommend grabbing them as soon as you have 3.5k to spend. Once you have like 4.5 k to spend then grab one and you'll still have enough left over for gear and a good boost to your stats. Spending points on stats does have diminishing returns (in that they get more and more expensive) and the 3.5k upgrades do make a huge difference to how fast you skill up weapons and shields.

That's what I did this time. I had about 4700 and went with the medium armor, epic swordsman whatever, and then like 1200 points of stats. I'm having much better results. I'm at 87 sword 80 shield 73 javelin now, at the beginning of the greek campaign.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are the secondary skills ever called except for that one Polearms check against the cavalry leader?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the sword master skill is really useful for starting a campaign aggressively. you can get to 45 sword skill and this lets you actually kill the mercs if you volunteer for the hard raid and that gives you a shitton of opinion

you also need every last point of sword skill to beat the phalanx

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Coolguye posted:

yeah i worded that poorly, i meant that you win routinely at 70 int, which lets your charisma do its work.

related: a coward:

pictured: soon to be a Hero

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i started to get suspicious about RNG results tonight and uh i ran a binomial regression on the number of half-chance strikes i took (specifically torso hits) and the number of trials actually succeeded vs expected came up to an overall likelihood of 0.0034% (expected 50%)

either i am so megalithically unlucky that i am winning an antilottery in this game or the RNG is not exactly honest.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I had my best run yet, killed the Chiliarch and broke 3 phalanxes. I managed to kill everyone in the first phalanx and the third phalanx, but one guy kept lucking out in the second. I thought you only needed to break and kill (everyone in) 2 phalanxes to get the boss fight ending? Ah well.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Coolguye posted:

i started to get suspicious about RNG results tonight and uh i ran a binomial regression on the number of half-chance strikes i took (specifically torso hits) and the number of trials actually succeeded vs expected came up to an overall likelihood of 0.0034% (expected 50%)

either i am so megalithically unlucky that i am winning an antilottery in this game or the RNG is not exactly honest.

Apparently most games lie and actually give you better than the displayed odds, due to people otherwise always feeling that the game is making GBS threads on them. Which helps train people even further to expect to always succeed on 75% odds or similar. I know exactly how you feel though, I was going for a Mural Crown and killed all but one of the defending militia, only to then fail to hit or recover something like 15 times in a row with better than even odds each time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah I’m familiar with the stealth cheating a lot of games do to make random numbers seem fairer (I’m looking at YOU, XCOM 2) but when you’re so many orders of magnitude off expected numbers given by a mathematical regression conceived to quantify how bad that had luck is I start getting real suspicious if it’s actually bad luck.

I’m not gonna hang up on the game or anything if it is stealth loving us instead of fudging the rolls for us, but if we can’t trust what’s displayed then that’s something I’d like to know.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
New question! How much does going into combat stressed or fatigued affect you? I sometimes start an entire battle with high fatigue, and can't exactly tell why.

It seems to happen most often when I've gotten wounded between battles, lately after getting into two swordfights while foraging. Does over-stress play a part, and if so, which?

Fader Movitz posted:

True, but i never had much trouble with morale or stress even if i didn't use leisure activities as long as i sacrificed and remembered to cycle training and working out. Tbh, that could be suboptimal but it's worked for me so far.

Could work. In a lot of games you can pick up chain mail from encounters too, like the gallic chieftain or the Carthaginian noble.

Got mail :awesome:

I just figured out the 'veterans only' fight in the first battle is infinite and you can still get the extra money by waiting it out :downs:

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 12, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

jesus, im half way through africa and im still an optio

its not for a lack of murder or effort...

Tias posted:

New question! How much does going into combat stressed or fatigued affect you? I sometimes start an entire battle with high fatigue, and can't exactly tell why.

it drops all your rolls by whatever, 5-10%, but it completely obliterates your increased recovery chance while under attack. so if you're at 55 coordination and you're tired and the guy is just hammering you with attacks you will really struggle to get stance back. this also applies to the other guy so once he's really tired, feint him to zero and start wailing

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Another thing to remember is that if your opponent used Recover immediately before you, you can use Recover and automatically succeed. Thus if you are fighting scrubs and miss, leaving you down some Stance, you can wait until they use a Recover action before using one yourself, thus avoiding any chance of failing and wasting an action.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Verviticus posted:

jesus, im half way through africa and im still an optio

its not for a lack of murder or effort...

it drops all your rolls by whatever, 5-10%, but it completely obliterates your increased recovery chance while under attack. so if you're at 55 coordination and you're tired and the guy is just hammering you with attacks you will really struggle to get stance back. this also applies to the other guy so once he's really tired, feint him to zero and start wailing

I'm fairly sure ranking up is also a case of how much people like you, more than how capable you are. I've had some right shitters become centurions.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

dogstile posted:

I'm fairly sure ranking up is also a case of how much people like you, more than how capable you are. I've had some right shitters become centurions.

yeah. it feels like your higher ups respect has more to do with getting promoted then just kills.

i guess the idea is that a lot of the choices that get you massive respect bonuses are tied to your mental stats. killing people is all well and good, but you can do that while just being in the fighting line.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I get the other awards, but how exactly do you get civic and mural crowns? I know the formal requirements, but I can't seem to get any of them through experimenting.