Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Tias posted:

I get the other awards, but how exactly do you get civic and mural crowns? I know the formal requirements, but I can't seem to get any of them through experimenting.

for civic crowns, going out of your way to save roman soldiers which usually puts you in a 1v3+ situation. for mural crowns, being the first one on top of a city wall during a siege(which i think requires killing 5 militia men in less than 20ish turns?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

dogstile posted:

I'm fairly sure ranking up is also a case of how much people like you, more than how capable you are. I've had some right shitters become centurions.

oh thats maxed out. its actually also extremely random, lol

i finally got promoted just in time to fight literally five waves of hannibal's veterans. i was half way through the last exhaustion phase when it finally ended, good god

i might actually get to 100 sword this game im at 93 and i just started greece

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Tias posted:

I get the other awards, but how exactly do you get civic and mural crowns? I know the formal requirements, but I can't seem to get any of them through experimenting.

Civic crown is to save a Roman citizen, and there are three chances to do so. Two of them are gated by skill checks and one you can always get, though that one also requires you to be really on top of your combat game.

First one: If you pass the awareness check while returning from scouting early in the game, you can detect something amiss. You then need to pass a quickness check, and then fight a moderately difficult fight. Unless you really pumped awareness you probably won't get this one because the check is pretty difficult.
Second one: When you see some skirmishers getting really messed up (I think this one is always available) you can run out of formation and 1v5 their attackers. This is literally a 1v5!
Third one: After you get ambushed by horsemen while foraging, if you make it back through the woods and then choose to go back to your camp via the woods again, one of your friends falls down and hurts his ankle. You can choose to climb down to help him, which brings you into a fight with a Peltast with an extremely strict timer. If you go over the timer, you miss your Civic Crown chance.

The mural crowns you get by doing the sieges. If you have high INT, helping out with the ladders buys you some time. Getting your subordinates to help you gets you some time. If you try to climb fast but slip up, you'll lose time. Climbing fast successfully gains time. Mural crowns are mostly a "How quickly can you mass-murder militia?" check.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Civic Crowns:

Spain: Volunteer for the scouting mission, on the way back pass a difficult Awareness check (you'll want 70+) to hear sounds of fighting. Run straight towards the sound and win the fight without losing your buddy.
Africa: Save the Velites from the 5 dudes
Macedonia: When you have to choose between woods and marsh, choose woods. Go to the aid of the soldier that falls and kill two peltasts. The first one you have to kill in under a certain number of turns (~12 I think?)

e: beaten like a legionary's dick by a Libyan spear

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 12, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
jesus christ i was just crushing this game and then i never got the event for the sword thats twice as strong as anything else and consequently couldnt take down the phalanx

i just want my grass crown

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

yeah that sword being hidden behind an event that has a chance to just never fire is bullshit

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure promotion is based solely on Opinion - Centurion to start with, then later Consul. Also it appears to be limited by how far in the campaign you are, if you get your Opinion up quickly you'll get a message saying your boss wants to promote you but is waiting for an open slot.
Guard Duty and Patrol are good ways to get Opinion for Troops and Centurion. I recommend Guard Duty at first, then Patrol once you have a decent Defence stat. (If you go on patrol without decent defence you'll take damage, and lose 10 points of morale to pain while you heal).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

My aedile finishes said something about not having enough funds to go further politically so I think you gotta finish the game with a poo poo ton of money.

Okay so I just did a run where I got all 3 civic crowns, 3 mural crowns, and the grass crown, and didn't spend a cent during the entire run. I got made praetor and put in charge of Hispania. Still no Consulship though, didn't see any failed checks or hints as to what else you have to do. Maybe get 18 cups? I never saw the Bulwark and finished on 17.

e: Google turns up a Steam thread where the dev states you need at least 85 int and cha. No roll, just a flat requirement.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 12, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks all! Got my first civic crown, but Awarecus the Tesserarius was promptly smote by a jobber scutarius soon after! Ah well, nevertheless

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm pretty sure promotion is based solely on Opinion - Centurion to start with, then later Consul. Also it appears to be limited by how far in the campaign you are, if you get your Opinion up quickly you'll get a message saying your boss wants to promote you but is waiting for an open slot.
Guard Duty and Patrol are good ways to get Opinion for Troops and Centurion. I recommend Guard Duty at first, then Patrol once you have a decent Defence stat. (If you go on patrol without decent defence you'll take damage, and lose 10 points of morale to pain while you heal).

it is also random, i can guarantee that

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I got frustrated at dying a lot and realizing that my options were cowardice or dying a lot more until I got to boost my stats. Neither seemed very appealing so I of course did the logical thing and massively boosted my stats and then played to the end of the game. I had fun, I think I'm going to actually play through normally now, now that I actually understand it a lot better I think I can manage a playthrough with the poo poo stats that you start with without constantly dying.

I am curious how different the endings are though. Is it just based on score and how many green laurel rewards you got? Is there an ending better than becoming a Consul?

Edit: I just saw the discussion above. I can confirm that you can do it with two crowns, I only had two.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 12, 2019

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So it turns out you can meet the Agema Chiliarch before the final battle though I am not sure what triggers it.

I had a pretty great run going (though how the gently caress do you get Mural Crowns? I won the battle in only 35 combat turns and still was not first onto the walls) and had 80+ in all combat skills by the time you get the event late in Macedon where you encounter elite Peltast skirmishers and get the option to challenge one of them to a duel. Last time I got this far some generic elite peltast accepted and though it was a tough fight, I killed him.

This time Agema accepted instead and I think his attack and defense skills must be in the region of 90, he basically slaughtered me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The one time I got a mural crown I won in 20 turns by setting my stance to full offensive and going nuts.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Patrat posted:

So it turns out you can meet the Agema Chiliarch before the final battle though I am not sure what triggers it.

I had a pretty great run going (though how the gently caress do you get Mural Crowns? I won the battle in only 35 combat turns and still was not first onto the walls) and had 80+ in all combat skills by the time you get the event late in Macedon where you encounter elite Peltast skirmishers and get the option to challenge one of them to a duel. Last time I got this far some generic elite peltast accepted and though it was a tough fight, I killed him.

This time Agema accepted instead and I think his attack and defense skills must be in the region of 90, he basically slaughtered me.

if you have the right ladder length, support of the men and you go at full speed you can take 30ish turns. in my runs where i got three i was basically killing the dudes as fast as they spawned, got them all under 20

Tias
May 25, 2008

How much Int do you need to get the ladder help option?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Diogines posted:

I got frustrated at dying a lot and realizing that my options were cowardice or dying a lot more until I got to boost my stats. Neither seemed very appealing so I of course did the logical thing and massively boosted my stats and then played to the end of the game. I had fun, I think I'm going to actually play through normally now, now that I actually understand it a lot better I think I can manage a playthrough with the poo poo stats that you start with without constantly dying.

I am curious how different the endings are though. Is it just based on score and how many green laurel rewards you got? Is there an ending better than becoming a Consul?

Edit: I just saw the discussion above. I can confirm that you can do it with two crowns, I only had two.

theres a bunch of little differences like if you have high weapon skill or a lot of money but i think you're either a quaestor, censor or whatever the failure ending is (never got it cause all my bad runs died at the chiliarch)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tias posted:

You get it pretty much automatically. (selecting it might not help unless you have good int though)

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Tias posted:

It is a roll rather than a fixed value, I had a character gently caress up ladder length with 78 intellect, others succeed with 60 or so.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

it seems like you can actually get top-end swords in the store if you're just insanely lucky

i cheated and viewed the store a million times with 90+ int/awa. saw some chain mail that cost >2k as well

edit: this was at the very start of the game too, before you even get into a fight

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 13, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

You get it pretty much automatically. (selecting it might not help unless you have good int though)

Which campaign is it? I haven't survived past Africa

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Verviticus posted:

it seems like you can actually get top-end swords in the store if you're just insanely lucky

i cheated and viewed the store a million times with 90+ int/awa. saw some chain mail that cost >2k as well

edit: this was at the very start of the game too, before you even get into a fight

huh, that's interesting. those are on the same tier as what the chiliarch drops, ie next best in the game after the seric iron sword, but potentially available much earlier. never saw anything anywhere near that good before, but all my high int characters have been on a no spending policy so i could get consul, so i never looked at the shop with one.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 13, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

they're actually better than the seric iron sword if you're a low virtue character because the smith makes you a shittier version

i did a quick run through refusing any virtuous actions and its basically the game run except the sword is a bit worse and you have to let people get massacred, and often your centurion/tribunes/consul gets mad at you for it for some reason

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What is the start of the seric event chain? I don't think I've ever seen it, let alone completed it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

you get a chance to ambush a caravan

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I beat the thracian giant, retired as a rich-as-gently caress Optio who became a questor but was too ornery for the senate (failed a charisma check)

Then i got depressed when i heard Carthage got razed and died soon after

Good game? :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

I beat the thracian giant, retired as a rich-as-gently caress Optio who became a questor but was too ornery for the senate (failed a charisma check)

Then i got depressed when i heard Carthage got razed and died soon after

Good game? :(

are you dead in africa? no? then good game.

also regarding the combat stress/fatigue thing, one step further: does OVERWORK STRESS from the time skips affect your combat performance as far as anyone can tell?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Coolguye posted:

also regarding the combat stress/fatigue thing, one step further: does OVERWORK STRESS from the time skips affect your combat performance as far as anyone can tell?

Don't think so.

Make sure you're rotating your training groups. That helps a lot even though it's kind of awkward to do.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Re: Mural crowns - if you have 80+ sword/shield and relatively good armour, you can actually kill militiamen with an empty balance meter without much risk or difficulty. I cleared some of those dudes out in like 15 turns on my last run by just doing nothing other than attacking and ignoring recover/respite/feint. Just stab.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Game seemed like my kind of thing so I installed it. First round of the first fight I got stabbed in the dick.

10/10 for op's honesty

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Patrat posted:

The chiliarch has a chance to murder even supersoldiers if he gets lucky before you can get a level or two of fatigue on him. Top three hardest fights in the game, with going for the grass crown (although surviving the phalanx is trivial if you're not going for glory) and, uh, volunteering for the optional merc fight in the very first battle. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Don't think so.

Make sure you're rotating your training groups. That helps a lot even though it's kind of awkward to do.

specidically, you seem to get two free trains of each category (javelin, combat, workout), and then rotating doesn't matter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

According to the Help, failing to get an improvement three (five? can't remember) times in a row on the same thing is bad.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
The one thing that helped me beat the game the first time (meaning survive to old age) is than linen based armor is crap and you can stab right through it. Agema Chiliarch's only weakness is that he uses reinforced linen armor, so with a good enough sword you can just damage race him. Waiting for Agema to get exhausted is kinda risky because he's good at striking at arms and other soft spots.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

linen armor is garbage but man i am way uncomfortable wearing anything but it until chainmail just because back and breastplate has half a chance to not do anything at all and leaves my dick completely unguarded. i wish there were a more reasonable way to get reinforced linen or something because functionally there's no middle ground between linen and chainmail. by the time you start seeing the duels that give you those breastplates you should have had chainmail for a while yet.

somewhat related, my loving kingdom for a set of greaves with 80% coverage, man.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

You can buy a set of quality 3 mail before you leave Hispania if you start with a proper sword and do everything right to get extra cash, ideally with good intellect and playing board games. Mail lets you be so much more aggressive especially against scrub enemies and I think that is probably worth it rather than holding out for looted armour.

I did have one run where my character lucked out on gym rolls along with starting swole and it turns out that a strength 85 monster with a good sword can just slash people to death right through metal armour.

Edit: If you luck out and fight the Gallic mercenary leader during a foraging expedition you can straight up steal a quality 2 set of mail armour in Hispania, definitely better, though he is a tough fight unless you have an advanced start character.

Patrat fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 14, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

how the gently caress are you getting together the 850 denarii in hispania? i've only managed to pull together about 650 or so.

also: if i only have a loving 6% chance to lose a turn due to my quickness, why the hell am i losing 3-4 turns per rotation, consistently? the expected value is ONE. this has happened every single fight tonight and i am really just not having it with this game's displayed values.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Does the order that you exercise/train in influence your fatigue?

A guide on Steam says yes but I am skeptical. Doing the exact same thing over and over does seem to build faster, but what if you alternate between two kinds of training, or two kinds of exercise?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Coolguye posted:

how the gently caress are you getting together the 850 denarii in hispania? i've only managed to pull together about 650 or so.

also: if i only have a loving 6% chance to lose a turn due to my quickness, why the hell am i losing 3-4 turns per rotation, consistently? the expected value is ONE. this has happened every single fight tonight and i am really just not having it with this game's displayed values.

I am almost 100% certain that stance damage and fatigue level affect your effective quickness, for one.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

Does the order that you exercise/train in influence your fatigue?

A guide on Steam says yes but I am skeptical. Doing the exact same thing over and over does seem to build faster, but what if you alternate between two kinds of training, or two kinds of exercise?
Well I doubt anyone actually checked, so I decided to. I did :science: and by :science: I mean that I did some tests and counted pixels in MS Paint. I stopped after 9 various combinations, so I did not test the entire bar and it is possible that this changes at higher fatigue levels, but so far, my results:

Doing the same training or workout repeatedly gives you +31 pixels of fatigue. Any other combination, no matter what you pick, +21. So you can switch between different types of training or different kinds of workouts or just switch from one single workout and one single training and you will get just as much fatigue. The guide on Steam is wrong, you don't need to change anything else, just not the exact same activity twice in a row.

I think this is important if you want to focus on buffing certain stats/skills. For examine, constitution/quickness/coordination and sword are all important early on. Endurance, strength and javelin, not so much.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Diogines posted:

Well I doubt anyone actually checked, so I decided to. I did :science: and by :science: I mean that I did some tests and counted pixels in MS Paint. I stopped after 9 various combinations, so I did not test the entire bar and it is possible that this changes at higher fatigue levels, but so far, my results:

Doing the same training or workout repeatedly gives you +31 pixels of fatigue. Any other combination, no matter what you pick, +21. So you can switch between different types of training or different kinds of workouts or just switch from one single workout and one single training and you will get just as much fatigue. The guide on Steam is wrong, you don't need to change anything else, just not the exact same activity twice in a row.

I think this is important if you want to focus on buffing certain stats/skills.

Huh. Okay.