Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

More random thoughts.

The most important starting initial stat, by far, is intelligence. It is possible to get 70 or so intelligence and 60 or so charisma and around 50 in other stats if you reroll 2 or 3 dozen times. Intelligence is the hardest skill to raise, important to many events especially later and, most critically of all, gives you increased odds of gaining morale on Play Board Games.

Which lets you keep your morale high, thus allowing you to train/workout more effectively and raise your other stats. This also helps you maintain a high Troops reputation, which helps in finding training partners.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think awareness and charisma are more important than int. but youre right that raising mental stats is harder than physical ones. if youre starting new games going phys heavy rolls can get you far enough to get some points but then you should switch to mental and aim for three 65s or whatever

morale is basically free

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am almost 100% certain that stance damage and fatigue level affect your effective quickness, for one.

fatigue level definitely does, fatigue penalizes literally everything. stance damage, however, is supposed to do no such thing, only affect attack and defense rolls.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I did the sieges again ignoring my stance and just stabbing the militia men and goddamn you're right, at 80+ stats you're hitting them like 70% of the time even when you're empty on stance.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

dogstile posted:

I did the sieges again ignoring my stance and just stabbing the militia men and goddamn you're right, at 80+ stats you're hitting them like 70% of the time even when you're empty on stance.

Most of them do not wear helmets either, so when your stance is good or if they are off balance you can just chop them in the head over and over again. Then again missing a little more often may outweigh the 50% extra damage. Unsure.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the sieges are weird in that way just because the entire point of doing it is to get the mural crown, and that's frequently a matter of a few rolls of the dice since you're cutting through like 6 dudes and 20 turns is sometimes not fast enough to get the crown. i go for the head personally, just because those sieges are a matter of go big or go home.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So what's the pro strat for getting more starting points. Going nuts in the first campaign or two and retiring or being a coward and surviving to the end? I've got a half dozen runs with 200-400pt scores and that doesn't really give you enough starting points to really matter much. Furthest I got was getting butchered early in the macedonian campaign by two of philip's elites

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

early on you should just focus on surviving. Do not be a hero and do not look for glory. Just do your job and do it well. A survived campaign with a couple thousand bucks will give you a decent ending and about 1k points. using that, you can make a strong character with a good roll and you can be more aggressive going for awards. the civic crowns are easier than they might seem and are worth a huge number of points. the one in hispania in particular is really quite easy if you can make the checks, just make sure your awareness is up so you get the chance. getting about 5-6 civic crowns should let you make a dude with 70+ mental stats and 60+ physical stats, which is enough of a badass to go for broke on everything. Another 2-3 games of those badasses and you’re making deities.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 15, 2019

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Coolguye posted:

early on you should just focus on surviving. Do not be a hero and do not look for glory. Just do your job and do it well. A survived campaign with a couple thousand bucks will give you a decent ending and about 1k points. using that, you can make a strong character with a good roll and you can be more aggressive going for awards. the civic crowns are easier than they might seem and are worth a huge number of points. the one in hispania in particular is really quite easy if you can make the checks, just make sure your awareness is up so you get the chance. getting about 5-6 civic crowns should let you make a dude with 70+ mental stats and 60+ physical stats, which is enough of a badass to go for broke on everything. Another 2-3 games of those badasses and you’re making deities.

That's the scouting mission one? I haven't been able to make the first check where you sneak up for a better look, what's the req? I try for 65+ mentals and ~50 physicals at creation and then mostly try to pump coordination and sword after.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The civic crown bit is when you're returning from scouting, whether you succeed or fail.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You want at least 70 awareness to have a decent chance at the check, even then it's not guaranteed. You also need decent quickness to get to the fight in time, not sure how much but I think it's easier than the awareness check

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Coolguye posted:

the civic crown is explicitly a hero thing though

the best way i think to accomplish getting points is to keep rolling until you get really good physical stats and focus on killing poo poo. youll miss some of the checks that give you plot beats or optional missions but surviving with a medium kill count will get you a couple thousand. do this a few times and you're on your way

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mondian posted:

That's the scouting mission one? I haven't been able to make the first check where you sneak up for a better look, what's the req? I try for 65+ mentals and ~50 physicals at creation and then mostly try to pump coordination and sword after.

the scouting mission itself doesn't actually matter, what matters is the awareness check when you're returning to base after the mission itself. if you fail it it'll be like "you thought you heard something but it's probably just the wind". that awareness check is a real doozy, even with 70 awareness i sometimes fail it. after the awareness check, you have to haul rear end to the noise, passing a quickness check which seems a lot less problematic than the awareness one. then you get in a 2v2 fight where your opponents are two dudes who are barely above scrub tier and your partner has chain mail.

Verviticus posted:

the civic crown is explicitly a hero thing though
yea which is why i suggest going for the one in hispania, for being something a hero does the only thing that's actually hard about it is the awareness check to get the opportunity in the first place. if you can get the civic crown it pretty much doesn't matter what happens at that point, it's a good scoring life. after getting 5 of those crowns over however many lives you're definitely going to be making a pretty hardcore baller of a soldier.

the other 2 are harder and you can skip them to basically just follow your idea and kill more poo poo if you want. i found the african one pretty easy by the time you get there though actually, 1v5 is a lot but if you aggressively build up your sword and shield stats by going after opinion bonuses and training with the best quickly, it's pretty safe even with middling physical stats. you just want to make sure you have chainmail, the etrusco helm, and some greaves by the time it comes up, but of those things the only thing that's actually expensive is the chainmail.

getting combat commendations is a drat fine way to rack up points too. i just think you should definitely be going for the hispania civic crown every time because if you can pass the awareness check it's not hard to get.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 15, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

passing the awareness and quickness check is like a 1/10 thing for people that arent working specifically to get it though. the 5v1 just requires you to go through the forest, i think, in africa. but yeah if you pass both checks you absolutely need to go for it, its a very easy fight

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Verviticus posted:

passing the awareness and quickness check is like a 1/10 thing for people that arent working specifically to get it though. the 5v1 just requires you to go through the forest, i think, in africa. but yeah if you pass both checks you absolutely need to go for it, its a very easy fight

You always get offered the 5v1 in Africa, the forest thing is the one in Macedonia

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've never failed to hit the quickness check weirdly, even with like 55 quickness. i'm happy to buy that i just have gotten super lucky on that but i've never actually had a problem passing it.

the awareness check is a motherfucker, though.

the civic crown in macedonia is also a motherfucker because the dude you have to kill quickly is actually not a scrub.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

For anyone doubting the efficacy of the 3.5k point upgrades, by taking them and focusing hard on sparring, I just finished Hispania with 83 in both sword and shield.

I don't recommend taking one/both as soon as you have 3.5/7k, as they take a little while to pay off through training, and better stats and gear will better help you survive the early game. But once you can afford them without gimping yourself, they're really, really strong

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How did you get Troop Opinion up high enough fast enough?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Highish (in the 60s) charisma, board games (dice also works if you have low int, its cha that affects the rep in either case), doing the stronghold in the first battle, a couple of events maybe, and killing a lot of dudes in battle

e: Having spent way too much time playing this dumb game and having 15.5k points to spend on character creation obviously helps a lot, especially with the killing dudes part, but you don't need that much to get good mileage out of the big upgrades even if you won't necessarily hit 83 in both skills before Africa

e2: oh yeah that too VVV

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 15, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

getting the civic crown in hispania is also a GIANT troop opinion increase if you can swing it, last time i played i left hispania with maxed troop opinion.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I'm 1 for 6 on passing the awareness check for that with 70+ awa so far. You need like 80 to get it consistently I'm guessing?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've hit it more than that, i should probably run a more exhaustive trial on it with 70 AWA. if you ctrl-alt-del the game after the check it reverts you back to the next time you saw the splash screen, which lets you run the events again. while i don't recommend this for general play because it's about a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of lameness it'd be helpful for figuring out what you need to hit stuff consistently.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I usually go for 80 awareness and 65 to 70 quickness and it still fails sometimes

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Any tips to fighting multiple enemies? I've reached the 3 to 5 Syphax' veterans fight, and they just combo feint even really good legionaries into mincemeat..

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Feints are checked against defense skill and awareness (plus quickness for quick feints only) so it sounds like you need more of those

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The most important part of the game is how long you spend re-rolling stats until you get the ones you want

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Delthalaz posted:

The most important part of the game is how long you spend re-rolling stats until you get the ones you want

Angband had an autoroller which you could set minimums and let it roll for like 1.2 million iterations lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Angband had an autoroller which you could set minimums and let it roll for like 1.2 million iterations lol

Christ, at that point stop kidding yourself and just use a hex editor

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Tias posted:

Any tips to fighting multiple enemies? I've reached the 3 to 5 Syphax' veterans fight, and they just combo feint even really good legionaries into mincemeat..

Kill the least tired ones, so if you are in that fight? Kill one of them first, then do not switch targets unless somebody leaves themselves really open, instead start killing the new guy because they are the biggest threat to you. Then repeat, just leave the other two of the original pair you faced outside of opportunistically chopping their legs/arms if they drop their stance too low.

That way you are only ever fighting one fresh and fully dangerous enemy at a time along with two increasingly exhausted guys who are ever less of an actual threat to to you.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks! I'll give it a go.

Wafflecopper posted:

Feints are checked against defense skill and awareness (plus quickness for quick feints only) so it sounds like you need more of those

Defense is trained how?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Patrat posted:

Kill the least tired ones, so if you are in that fight? Kill one of them first, then do not switch targets unless somebody leaves themselves really open, instead start killing the new guy because they are the biggest threat to you. Then repeat, just leave the other two of the original pair you faced outside of opportunistically chopping their legs/arms if they drop their stance too low.

That way you are only ever fighting one fresh and fully dangerous enemy at a time along with two increasingly exhausted guys who are ever less of an actual threat to to you.

Interesting! I’ve usually been killing the tired ones first because they’re more vulnerable -> easier to get rid of -> shorter overall battle and more of a chance to survive unharmed

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, that makes sense if you are in a 3:1 or fewer fight but if they are just going to be replaced with a fresh person you actually make things more dangerous by killing the tired enemies. Obviously that assumes you are badass enough that the tired enemies will have trouble hitting you, also maintaining high stance is vital unless you are just overwhelmingly skilled and/or wearing mail and a fancy hat.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Tias posted:

Defense is trained how?

By sparring. It's the same thing as shield skill, the game refers to it both ways

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

How do you prepare for that optional merc fight in the first battle? You've barely got time to train and they're so much better than the militia. Also what's even the point, I've got an 8k start now and I can survive it, but there doesn't seem to be any benefit?

e: Also, is it possible to kill an officer with your opening javelin? I've done it to a grunt, but with officers the best I've managed is wounding them and having them fall back. Does this step actually affect the battle at all beyond the morale/opinion boost?

Mondian fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 17, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mondian posted:

How do you prepare for that optional merc fight in the first battle? You've barely got time to train and they're so much better than the militia. Also what's even the point, I've got an 8k start now and I can survive it, but there doesn't seem to be any benefit?

e: Also, is it possible to kill an officer with your opening javelin? I've done it to a grunt, but with officers the best I've managed is wounding them and having them fall back. Does this step actually affect the battle at all beyond the morale/opinion boost?

I've killed an officer with a javelin but I don't know how it affects the battle as a whole.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mondian posted:

boost?

Just troop opinion and early money. It's more useful for the opinion because of sparring later

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah you can kill officers with javelins but it's just a morale/opinion boost, it doesn't have any direct effect on the battle. Not sure if they go towards your kill count/final score though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dogstile posted:

Just troop opinion and early money. It's more useful for the opinion because of sparring later

yeah, for the (arguably most lethal fight in the game of) mercenary stronghold, volunteer and play defensive - if you happen to get a chance to stab their arms repeatedly, great, but as long as you survive it's a substantial free opinion boost

and a hundred extra bucks, i guess

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah you can kill officers with javelins but it's just a morale/opinion boost, it doesn't have any direct effect on the battle. Not sure if they go towards your kill count/final score though.

we sure it doesn't have a negative effect on enemy morale?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wait, enemies have morale? I guess it could then, to be fair I do quickly click through most screens and might have missed that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Is the epilogue largely dependent on stats? I just had my best run in terms of score and accumulated accolades, but I just served a term as aedile and retired. By comparison I've got two other finishes that were worth over 2k less, but they both became praetors. The only real difference I recall was their cha/int were ~80+ at the end instead of low 70s