Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I don’t think enemies have morale actually, I’ve never seen anything that suggests they do from your perspective as a soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mondian posted:

Is the epilogue largely dependent on stats? I just had my best run in terms of score and accumulated accolades, but I just served a term as aedile and retired. By comparison I've got two other finishes that were worth over 2k less, but they both became praetors. The only real difference I recall was their cha/int were ~80+ at the end instead of low 70s

No personal experience, I've only bought the farm (hurr), but according to other players itt. you need both accolades and high stats.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Here's roughly how I think it goes for the ending. Please note I'm not 100% on any of this except the requirements for Consul.

If you got 1+ Civic Crowns you can become a senator if you have high enough Int/Cha. More crowns makes this easier. I don't think you can become a senator without at least one crown, you just end up on a farm and are more prosperous if you brought home more money. Money may also factor into becoming a senator.
If you become a senator you can become Aedile/Praetor, again with high enough Int/Cha for each. Money might also factor into one or both of these.
If you make Praetor you can become Consul. This one I am sure of the requirements as I found dev posts about it. There's no roll, it's a flat requirement of 85+ of both Int and Cha and 10k+ denarii.

Earlier ranks are probably also flat requirements like Consul (rather than rolls) but I don't know for sure. Also not sure if or how the Grass Crown and other awards factor into things.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was assuming that enemies had morale because of the game's assertion when you set it up that the enemies follow the same rules as you with no cheating

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Most things that affect morale happen to you outside of combat though. The only exceptions are getting kills and spending multiple turns in defensive attitude. In most fights the enemy getting a kill means you're dead, or at most they kill one or two of your buddies. (This actually penalizes your morale so the net result is the same.) Enemies also don't use the aggressive/defensive attitude bar that you do, so morale is not a relevant stat for them to have. Getting a javelin kill boosts your morale which again is the same net effect as costing them morale anyway, unless you're already at max.

I think what that bit about them following the same rules refers to is just their combat stats/skills, fatigue, stance etc affecting them in the same way it affects the player.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
Anyone have a list of all the duels? I can't break 15 cups.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i always got a few from fighting people in the villages

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Wafflecopper posted:

Most things that affect morale happen to you outside of combat though. The only exceptions are getting kills and spending multiple turns in defensive attitude. In most fights the enemy getting a kill means you're dead, or at most they kill one or two of your buddies. (This actually penalizes your morale so the net result is the same.) Enemies also don't use the aggressive/defensive attitude bar that you do, so morale is not a relevant stat for them to have. Getting a javelin kill boosts your morale which again is the same net effect as costing them morale anyway, unless you're already at max.

I think what that bit about them following the same rules refers to is just their combat stats/skills, fatigue, stance etc affecting them in the same way it affects the player.

I'm 80% sure that if you click on enemy dudes, it shows a morale rating for them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Verviticus posted:

i always got a few from fighting people in the villages

This, given luck you can get at least two leaders in a forage mission

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah make sure to always be lazy and not look for more supplies or bargain too hard with villagers so you can hit all the villages instead of filling up early.

Unless you're going low virtue, which I just did a run of and yeesh.... that got real dark. Coincidentally, that was my first run to retire as Consul lol. So much innocent blood on his hands

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm 80% sure that if you click on enemy dudes, it shows a morale rating for them.

Huh. So it does. Egg on my face

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is there a point to a low virtue run at all? What does it change?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Silly Mondian, you never go full Caligula :gonk:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

dogstile posted:

Is there a point to a low virtue run at all? What does it change?

You get a ton more events to steal money, take bribes, etc. It can be extremely lucrative.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah like if you help the merchant you can get uh, 20 bucks. and if you steal that thing like 50 or something?

low virtue is just a negligible gain to get hosed over later. and you cant even do all the poo poo that gives you a high score because helping someone is considered a virtuous act. once you lots of points do it once to see the various options, i guess

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah most of low virtue is just extra cash, although it notably precludes you from getting the first civic crown or the seric sword. I still got 9770pts out of the run tho

What really stood out to me, if anyone really cares about spoilers:

- Slashing out Nasidius' throat to keep the bracelet for yourself when looting the first city
- Framing your centurion for some heinous crimes so he gets hauled off and you get promoted into his job
- Just callously putting numerous peasants to the sword during the foraging minigame
- Torturing those merchants to get the special loot drop in Macedonia that's a bunch of cash and a helmet... pretty sure its the same helmet as the reward for winning the race/javelin toss?

Mondian fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 20, 2019

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
This game is great fun, anyone got any reccomendations for stuff with the same sort of CYOA historical vibe?

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Haven't tried it yet myself but check out Nocked! It's a Robin Hood sim with some resource management and heavy C&C.

It's not out yet but this medieval ruler sim also seems worth keeping an eye on.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Mondian posted:

Yeah most of low virtue is just extra cash, although it notably precludes you from getting the first civic crown or the seric sword. I still got 9770pts out of the run tho

What really stood out to me, if anyone really cares about spoilers:

- Slashing out Nasidius' throat to keep the bracelet for yourself when looting the first city
- Framing your centurion for some heinous crimes so he gets hauled off and you get promoted into his job
- Just callously putting numerous peasants to the sword during the foraging minigame
- Torturing those merchants to get the special loot drop in Macedonia that's a bunch of cash and a helmet... pretty sure its the same helmet as the reward for winning the race/javelin toss?

you can get the seric sword its just a level 4 crafting instead of 6

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

How's that? I didn't even get the event on that run, but I've gotten it on others where I just had moderate virtue instead of none at all and after failing the check the smith just told me he'd pay me money for the ingot and a week later I saw some other officer parading around with it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

all the events are the same but he says youre evil and then you threaten to kill him if he doesnt make a sword

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Overall this is a pretty great game. Got it Saturday and finally made it to Macedonia. Currently an Optio in the playthrough hopefully can make centurion before I die or the campaign ends. The promotions seem a bit random though, didn't seem connected to say killing a bunch of enemies or anything, is there any triggering event or is it actually random.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pretty sure it's based on Centurion opinion (or Consul opinion for becoming a centurion yourself)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Anyone run into Himilcar, the chuffed out noble leader of a village event? He's wears a relic chainmail and smote one of my really good characters like he was newborn sheep :aaa:

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
He's the carthaginian noble right? He can be deadly if you encounter him early but the loot you get is really good. Usually you can survive by fighting defensively and tiring him out.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That I did, but he just slicked through my defense and armour (short chain+greaves and dead legionary's helmet). A tough bastard to be sure.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah, he is tough, but that is what he mostly is. he's not like the Macedonian elites that have insane weapon skill and will find any chink your armor has.

i've met him 3 times with various soldiers of wildly variable quality, but by treating him like a very serious threat i've killed him every time without getting shredded up too much. by which i mean, go full defensive attitude and respite/recover until he attacks and misses, giving you a stance advantage. then go full aggressive attitude attack him however is most effective for doing hp damage (with him it's his arm i think) until he succeeds a recovery. then immediately go full defensive attitude and recover on your side to bring you both back up to full or fullish stance and repeat.

you will be in the fight for like 50+ rounds and it may just go until he is maximally fatigued and you can finally get actually aggressive and it's entirely likely that you'll lose like 15 morale from waiting for openings.

but he will die and you will live.

Tias
May 25, 2008

What governs how much stamina you lose when attacking? RNGesusupiter has me failing a lot of sure blows lately.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Who’s creating the discord for 24/7 Legionary’s Life discord chat????

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Picked this up in the Steam summer sale, having a lot of fun with it. Are there any fun gimmicky runs to do stat-wise? I've completed a couple of runs and retired and am thinking of different ways to approach the campaign next run.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Try to max out different attributes from start and see the difference. Most of us land on the side of high CHA, COO and INT, but it can be dumb fun to play as Beeficus and just throw folks around, at least until you encounter real opposition.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So I just had a hell of a run. Maxed out all opinions. Had 25 cups. Killed the captains/nobles/bulwark/peltist leaders. Three civic crowns. Three Murals for assaulting walls. Broke through every phalanx and killed every soldier there. Retired with 10k+ in the bank

Still didn't get the achievement for being a consul. What do I have to do? I can't see myself doing much better.

E: Actually just looked it up and I also need intellect and charisma. Oh well. Time for another run.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Finally made it to the end in this game on my 14th attempt. Nearly every death was from unnecessary glory-seeking after I figured out how the combat works.

I went with a dumb brute, when I got to the thorakitai I was really surprised at how easy it was to kill them. I dropped three of them and wounded a fourth in one go.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 4, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The real reward for getting to the end of the game is you can now make a clever brute.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't remember what it's called when you're so good at doing one job you get promoted to doing something you're completely useless at, but that's the essence of being a big, strong dumb guy in this game. Everyone's mad at you for being such a lousy organizer, which you became because you were so good at cracking skulls.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Grevling posted:

I don't remember what it's called when you're so good at doing one job you get promoted to doing something you're completely useless at, but that's the essence of being a big, strong dumb guy in this game. Everyone's mad at you for being such a lousy organizer, which you became because you were so good at cracking skulls.

Peter Principle.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Grevling posted:

The Peter principle? People tend to get promoted one level above their competence.

Anyway you can get by with avarage thinking stats as a centurion. You probably wont win crowns but with some lucky roles you can make it.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Yeah, Peter Principle is what I was thinking of. For some reason the highest I've been promoted is optio, which surprises me because according to Steam 50% of players have reached centurio posterior while only 43.6 have actually finished the game.

edit: And of course on the very next playthrough I shoot straight to centurio prior.

Edit2: drat, just tried a glory seeker game. Killed the Lybian spearman leader (with a javelin the face), killed Himilco, killed Syphax' elites, got promoted to optio, only to be vanquished by a lowly scutarius. Should really be more careful in straight fights, I got way overconfident.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 6, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Picked this up a few weeks back and man it's an addictive time sink.

Just finished a run where I got the service sword and beat the agema peltast for the first time. Also broke two phalanxes in the final fight but apparently 78 INT isn't smart enough to exploit the gap (or become consul)

Ended up about 175 points shy of the 10k as well.

Still, at least my next guy will have slightly better stats! Back to the list of Asterix names I go.

e: Gracchus Armisurplus is the proud owner of a Grass Crown and >10k points, but still no consul despite 85 INT and I think 83 CHA?

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Game seems to have been updated, and is harder, which is neat.

I can't make it through hispania any longer, but I can't put my finger on what the change is.