Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Wafflecopper posted:

I asked in the other thread and I'll ask again here, what does it take to be the first over the walls in city assaults? I just cleared the defenders in <20 rounds with a successful roll for the troops helping and still wasn't first. Do you have to get perfect length ladders as well? Or somehow kill the defenders even faster? I'm not sure how that's even possible, I used mostly headshots and never missed a swing

e: google gives me guys saying they got it after taking ~38 rounds to clear the defenders, wtf

Not sure I've gotten one mural crown so far. Perfect ladders, help from the other legionaries and killing the defenders fairly quick worked for me. Definitely took longer than 20 rounds tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

You can also find tiles with hunting or fishing in while foraging. success depends on throwing and a bunch of other stats. I never had that much of a problem with the foraging minigame except once or twice when I was too kind to the villagers twice and then got hosed by the RNG.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Managed to slash my way through the phalanx. Getting lucky, tiring the phalanx and only using slash, no pushing or evade, with that special iron sword. I was a centurion so I could keep fighting all the time, that way you can wear down the phalanx health through several combats.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Tias posted:

I'm starting to get better guys because of higher point scores (and good phys+charisma start stats), but I've yet to complete the second campaign. What am I doing wrong :confused:

Where do you die? I've never had much trouble with the second part unless I got really unlucky with RNG or I did something stupid.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

To progress you need to stay alaive, a good way to ensure that is to decline certain fights. Sometimes you're given the choice of fighting immediately after or before a battle. If you're low on health or tired it's usually better to not fight. Surviving for longer and finish the campaign is more important than maybe winning a pointless skirmish against some random libyian.

When some of you're legionaries have made it home or at least far enough to get a good score you can use that for the next legionary who'll hopefully last longer/do better.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Verviticus posted:

its loving crazy some moron spearman getting a charge off can instantly ruin your game. gently caress man

its never even in the multi-unit fights. its just 1v1 me vs some guy who isnt even wearing armor and boom my neck opens up for 30 health

edit: also man ive passed the second? campaign awareness check twice in like 30 attempts and i min/max for awareness. and all it opens up is a 3v3 fight against mooks

If you win the awareness check you can save a roman guy and win a civic crown. I've only done it once in 30 attempts even if had like 60 awareness.

Also, does anyone know how you get a grass crown? there's an achievement for it but it's never come up for me.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Yeah that seems way harder than anything else. I chopped my way through the phalanx twice but never managed to kill enough phalangites i guess.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

I never gamble that much, if i need the morale, I usually sacrifice for a big boost or have fun. If you need to improve relations I find patrols to be better since you don't loose money from it.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Money isn't a scarce resource after the first few playthroughs, and the "leisure" activities reduce your workout stress more than the patrols

True, but i never had much trouble with morale or stress even if i didn't use leisure activities as long as i sacrificed and remembered to cycle training and working out. Tbh, that could be suboptimal but it's worked for me so far.

Tias posted:

Oh ok, someone itt recommended playing dice a lot to boost troop relation so I went with that. Perhaps I'll stat a brainicus and grind board gaming instead?

Could work. In a lot of games you can pick up chain mail from encounters too, like the gallic chieftain or the Carthaginian noble.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

He's the carthaginian noble right? He can be deadly if you encounter him early but the loot you get is really good. Usually you can survive by fighting defensively and tiring him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Grevling posted:

I don't remember what it's called when you're so good at doing one job you get promoted to doing something you're completely useless at, but that's the essence of being a big, strong dumb guy in this game. Everyone's mad at you for being such a lousy organizer, which you became because you were so good at cracking skulls.

The Peter principle? People tend to get promoted one level above their competence.

Anyway you can get by with avarage thinking stats as a centurion. You probably wont win crowns but with some lucky roles you can make it.