Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jiro posted:

At least show Shithead Present Day Hank blowing himself up and not tell. It was kind of a disappointing thud for me as well, it felt incredibly pressed for time.

He's alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Caros posted:

Given that the next xmen forever cover is Three redheads in front of the Phoenix, I think that is a safe assumption on your part.

Hmm. I wonder if that means the announced Phoenix comic will be a team book.

Caros
May 14, 2008

site posted:

He's alive

Hey now. If there is one thing I know about comic books, it is that dying off screen is a surefire way to tell a person is totally dead.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

site posted:

He's alive

The Beast that was cloned with only memories going up to the 80's survives, Antagonist Beast died. I was hoping for a panel of him at least blowing the hell up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
did you see antagonist beast die

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Fishylungs posted:

It really speaks to the Clairemontian ideal of what the X-men is, and I'm glad it still lives on in this day and age.

The standard X-Men power fantasy that Claremont pioneered is "I wish I was an oppressed minority, but instead of confronting the ugly realities of systemic oppression, I just want to live at hogwarts with my found family of sexually-repressed fetish models."

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 28, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Indie Rocktopus posted:

The standard X-Men power fantasy that Claremont pioneered is "I wish I was an oppressed minority, but instead of confronting the ugly realities of systemic oppression, I just want to live in a mansion with my found family of hot superpowered fetish models."
Do you not?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

site posted:

did you see antagonist beast die

Let me introduce a new mysterious character pulling the strings behind the scenes. He’s furry, and goes by “unilluminated brute” you’ll never guess who it really is!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, Xavier shooting Rachel is probably to help save the Phoenix. Rachel will go to the White Hot Room where everyone is since that's where all Phoenix hosts go.

Still a really dick move to shoot her in the back.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I hope the dead X-Men got back before Xavier shot her.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, Xavier shooting Rachel is probably to help save the Phoenix. Rachel will go to the White Hot Room where everyone is since that's where all Phoenix hosts go.

Still a really dick move to shoot her in the back.

Poor Rachel. If she had a nickel for every time somebody grievously injured her to help her, she'd have a dime but it's weird that it happened twice.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Indie Rocktopus posted:

The standard X-Men power fantasy that Claremont pioneered is "I wish I was an oppressed minority, but instead of confronting the ugly realities of systemic oppression, I just want to live at hogwarts with my found family of sexually-repressed fetish models."

And they’re the best comics of all time 🫡

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cia beast is probably supposed to be actually dead, but that obviously won't stop future writers.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

cia beast is probably supposed to be actually dead, but that obviously won't stop future writers.

They will do a twist where good Beast died i loving know it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think he could pretend to be a tolerable person for that long. but well, retcons make fools of us all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I'm sure that just like Hydra Steve Rogers, he'll pop out one day to make us all go "goddammit I thought we all agreed that was a bad character and wouldn't use him again"

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Beast was “atomized” by an explosion from a black hole generator that he said was meant to store away Arako for safe keeping. ZERO WAYS he could come back. Zero.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Finally got to issue 3 of Magneto's Resurrection. And the thing was so wordy, with characters just getting more powerful while monologuing to defeat an evil psychic entity... that it felt ghost written by Claremont himself. A very good pastiche at least! I think he'd even be proud if he ever bothered to give other writers' comics a chance some time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
RotPoX has the distinction of pulling off the single most compelling overarching plotline I've seen in comics in a long long time...that unfortunately seems keen on spotlighting 4 out of 5 characters I'm mostly pretty impartial about, with a story that has pretty much just been going "Hey let's try this thing for an issue...welp no that didn't work, now we gotta do something else" for three whole issues. Really interesting stuff with the Dominions timeline shenanigans, though. I enjoy the juxtaposition of the Dominions as the ultimate AI gods in a way that parallels the Phoenix as the ultimate representation of mutant ascendancy, if not organic ascendancy altogether.

Xavier "killing" Rachel is definitely just part of the plan to express airmail her to the White Hot Room, but I also choose to view it as a tragic case of m|m on w|w hostility. Mostly 'cuz it's funnier.

This X-Force plot started off pretty well and then got so rushed at the end that it made my head spin. We get one page to wrap everything up, a single panel mentioning offhandedly that 80s Beast went to live offscreen with his ex and that's that, and then one final shot of everyone going "We sure were the best, weren't we? X-Force! The most awesome team ever!" the end. I can't understand it. It's like Percy expected this book to go on for another issue at the very least.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 29, 2024

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Veg posted:

They will do a twist where good Beast died i loving know it

Evil Beast will pose as good Beast, but he'll spend so long in the role that he'll end up seeing the error of his ways for real. Good Beast will be revealed to have actually survived, but be left feeling bitter and abandoned by his friends and will turn evil.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

BrianWilly posted:

RotPoX has the distinction of pulling off the single most compelling overarching plotline I've seen in comics in a long long time...that unfortunately seems keen on spotlighting 4 out of 5 characters I'm mostly pretty impartial about, with a story that has pretty much just been going "Hey let's try this thing for an issue...welp no that didn't work, now we gotta do something else" for three whole issues. Really interesting stuff with the Dominions timeline shenanigans, though. I enjoy the juxtaposition of the Dominions as the ultimate AI gods in a way that parallels the Phoenix as the ultimate representation of mutant ascendancy, if not organic ascendancy altogether.

Xavier "killing" Rachel is definitely just part of the plan to express airmail her to the White Hot Room, but I also choose to view it as a tragic case of m|m on w|w hostility. Mostly 'cuz it's funnier.

This X-Force plot started off pretty well and then got so rushed at the end that it made my head spin. We get one page to wrap everything up, a single panel mentioning offhandedly that 80s Beast went to live offscreen with his ex and that's that, and then one final shot of everyone going "We sure were the best, weren't we? X-Force! The most awesome team ever!" the end. I can't understand it. It's like Percy expected this book to go one for another issue at the very least.

To me it felt like he thought he was going to get an oversized issue (50! Last issue!) and then the suits were like lol nope.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

Let me introduce a new mysterious character pulling the strings behind the scenes. He’s furry, and goes by “unilluminated brute” you’ll never guess who it really is!

Forearms, is that you?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haven't checked in since like the Hellfire Gala and the Moira escaping series which I didn't like, any good runs similar to the comedy, well honed continuinty, and surprising maturity of X-Men Dark Web and that team Sinister led that had the egg lady in it? Love to catch up. My first thought is to finally read X-Men Red since alot of you people seem to like it and Al Ewing wrote it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Red and Immortal were probably my favs of the most recent books before the fall.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I haven’t really liked anything but Red and Immortal post fall.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

X-Terminators was good :v

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cool I'll start with Red. And X-Terminators was the first thing I read coming back. So loving good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there have also been some good minis, like dark x-men and children of the vault.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

If you liked Dark Web, Dark X-Men is a direct follow-up. Duggan's X-Men has less hits of late, but I'd argue it's far from a bad book. His Iron Man ties closely into Fall of X and does a surprisingly good job of selling Tony and Emma being in a marriage of convenience. While it's more of a Ms. Marvel book than an X-Men one, Ms. Marvel: New Mutant is set in the Fall of X status quo, and is worth checking out if your a fan of the character. Uncanny Spider-Man continues the Nightcrawler work Si Spurrier started in Way/Legion of X, and is an overall better series thanks to the tighter focus. That said, Spurrier's X-Men: Blue one-shot is the stand-out of his run, and worth reading even on it's own.

I agree with the others, though, that Red and Immortal continue to be the gold standard of the line. Once your caught up on Red, be sure to pick up Ewing's Resurrection of Magneto mini-series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
X-Men: Blue features the best retcon I've ever seen because it's something that was obviously supposed to be the original story, but editorial wouldn't let them do it 40 years ago

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Air Skwirl posted:

X-Men: Blue features the best retcon I've ever seen because it's something that was obviously supposed to be the original story, but editorial wouldn't let them do it 40 years ago

Are we talking about a civil rights thing or a weird sex fetish thing?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
both

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
https://x.com/gailsimone/status/1775184178205851992?s=46

Manifold
Storm
Forge
Hope
Sunspot
Domino

Edit: I had more time to think and made some changes for a better power spread. I think the group dynamics would be interesting too. I don't care who the leader is.

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 3, 2024

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Air Skwirl posted:

It also features one of the least convincing retcons, too!

I'm sorry but the day I believe that either Mystique or Destiny were torn up emotionally about what happened with Kurt is the day I believe Magneto does not wrestle with a messiah complex every day of his adult life

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Cyclops
Jean
Iceman
Wolverine
Storm
...either Kitty or Jubilee, I can't decide

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cyclops
Gambit
Rogue
Wolverine
Colossus
Nightcrawler

6 is pretty tight these days! This team is a bit man heavy, but I can't have just Colossus or Nightcrawler, I demand both.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

https://x.com/gailsimone/status/1775184178205851992?s=46

Manifold
Storm
Forge
Hope
Sunspot
Domino

Edit: I had more time to think and made some changes for a better power spread. I think the group dynamics would be interesting too. I don't care who the leader is.

Cyclops
Jean
Madelyne
Emma
Havoc
Wolverine

Not a good team, but oh man the drama.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Fivemarks posted:

Cyclops
Jean
Madelyne
Emma
Havoc
Wolverine

Not a million miles from the New X-Men team and oh man the drama.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Fivemarks posted:

Cyclops
Jean
Madelyne
Emma
Havoc
Wolverine

I'd like to change my answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speak