Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I loved those books. Wonderfully cohesive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
You know what I liked that I felt didn't get its dues? X-Corp. I'm glad that team of characters has mostly shown up in the Marvel Unlimited stuff but a book with Monet, Warren, Trinary, Multiple Man, and The Mastermind clan just on the edge could have been stupid fun.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sheesh, Xavier is looking really bad right now. Unless he has some other plan in mind then so much for him being a hero.

Seems more and more likely he's Prisoner X.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Coucl chuck stop loving up for five minutes? It'd be great if he could.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Codependent Poster posted:

Sheesh, Xavier is looking really bad right now. Unless he has some other plan in mind then so much for him being a hero.

Seems more and more likely he's Prisoner X.

I dont get how this can be happening in fall while hes doing the other stuff in rise :magemage:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

srypher posted:

I've been reading through the decimation era of X-Men, about 10 mike carey issues of X-Men left before I start Messiah Complex. In general it feels like there are a lot of strong on-goings during this time, with X-Factor and New X-Men being highlights for me. Is this era as unpopular as I'd thought? Sure there is some requisite-for-the-time moral grayness but I kinda dig these stories.

I'd say that era (sans the rebooted super grim dark X-Force) was one of the best stuff the line had for years until very recently. Mike Carey (X-Men), Peter David (X-Factor), Zeb Wells (New Mutants), Si Spurrier (Legacy), Nicieza (Cable & Deadpool)... all of them were firing on all cylinders in my opinion.

Messiah Complex itself wasn't very good, and the Cable on-going that destroyed Bishop as a character for a whole decade is best left forgotten.

Age of X went into incredible places, and then the line sort of... froze?

The writers that took over after this had no clue what they wanted to do (from memory, Brian Wood, Jeff Lemire, and whoever else I'm not remembering). Kieron Gillen tried, bless his soul, but it didn't last long. Then Bendis came along and jesus h christ. Tons of awful ideas and no cohesion and everyone had to tow the line to follow the big "creative" force. I abandoned the X-comics at some point during this period and only came back with Tom Taylor's All New Wolverine and X-Men Red.

And now we had Krakoa and it was something that was (mostly) amazing and unique, a decisive moment in the published history of those characters.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 17, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Also, Gerry Duggan continues to be one of the worst parts of the late Krakoa era and today's Fall didn't change my mind whatsoever. Xavier is evil. Woo. Nothing's explained. Woo. All those characters are being moved around and shouting and not doing anything. Woo. Quality story telling there.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 17, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Veg posted:

I dont get how this can be happening in fall while hes doing the other stuff in rise :magemage:

This takes place after the last issue of Rise.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

srypher posted:

I've been reading through the decimation era of X-Men, about 10 mike carey issues of X-Men left before I start Messiah Complex. In general it feels like there are a lot of strong on-goings during this time, with X-Factor and New X-Men being highlights for me. Is this era as unpopular as I'd thought? Sure there is some requisite-for-the-time moral grayness but I kinda dig these stories.

I have some interest in reading Decimation through Schism or AVX when I'm done with Krakoa. It definitely has its fans, although a lot of detractors, too.
The rough reading order I'll be following:

quote:

New X-Men by Kyle/Yost (#20-43)
X-Men by Mike Carey (#188-204)
Messiah Complex
Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction (#500-512)
X-Force by Kyle and Yost (#1-13)
Cable by Swierczynski (#1-12)
Messiah War crossover
Utopia crossover
Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction (#515-522)
X-Force by Kyle and Yost (#17-20)
Cable by Swierczynski (#16-25)
Necrosha crossover
Second Coming crossover
Uncanny X-Men by Fraction/Gillen (#526-543)
Schism
Uncanny X-Men by Gillen (#544, vol. 2 #1-14)
Avengers vs. X-Men, including the Uncanny X-Men tie-in (#15-20)
AvX: Consequences

I guess Wolverine and the X-Men is at the bottom there, I heard it's good, although I'm also learning from the X of Swords Handbook making me look up Marvel Database that Wolverine was part of X-Force (I'm pretty sure) at the exact same time as he was running that Jean Grey School. I'm not sure how he can stop Apocalypse's resurrection and poo poo in addition to being the headmaster at a school but okay.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

man who's idea was it to let Duane Swierczynski write that Cable book and make it a centerpiece of the line through crossovers

e: oh right lol

Alaois fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 18, 2024

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not sure how he can stop Apocalypse's resurrection and poo poo in addition to being the headmaster at a school but okay.

Secondary mutation?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I love that Cable series. IDGAF. "Wah wah wah what it did to Bishop" whatever, hypothetical whiner, he's a comic book character, everybody gets to be a villain for a while and you can do whatever you want in the future, that poo poo never "happens" anyway.

Saoshyant posted:

Also, Gerry Duggan continues to be one of the worst parts of the late Krakoa era and today's Fall didn't change my mind whatsoever. Xavier is evil. Woo. Nothing's explained. Woo. All those characters are being moved around and shouting and not doing anything. Woo. Quality story telling there.
So great that the best and most innovative status quo of X-Men in decades is going out on such a poo poo note. That last Hellfire Gala really was the death knell for the whole thing. Bad guys come smashing in and it's like gently caress YOU, X-MEN SUCKS NOW. I guess it's not all awful but to me it's the new poster child of not sticking the landing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NikkolasKing posted:

I have some interest in reading Decimation through Schism or AVX when I'm done with Krakoa. It definitely has its fans, although a lot of detractors, too.

I guess Wolverine and the X-Men is at the bottom there, I heard it's good, although I'm also learning from the X of Swords Handbook making me look up Marvel Database that Wolverine was part of X-Force (I'm pretty sure) at the exact same time as he was running that Jean Grey School. I'm not sure how he can stop Apocalypse's resurrection and poo poo in addition to being the headmaster at a school but okay.

He was also on at least one Avengers team at that time.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There was a bit in Dead X-Men this week where the team sounds off on how bullshit what Xavier is doing is and their points are all pretty good and in character, but I couldn't help but think this would be a sentiment better delivered in a less "WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR A PROPER ENDING" format

It's so weird that Krakoa was extended for as long as it was past it's original end date only for them to seemingly start going "WRAP IT THE gently caress UP CMON WE GOTTA CLEAR THE BOARD FOR THE BIRDS OF PREY LADY AND MOON KNIGHT GUY" (no offense to either, as I like that run of BoP and McKay's little Defenders-y corner of the Marvel Universe has been pretty great for a while now)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
fall was just not very good writing wise as has already been discussed, but one thing i couldn't help but notice the whole way through is that this is like, The End, of the krakoa era and they don't even bother having a big time, good artist on it. i kept looking at the page and thinking this is barely functional c tier book kinda stuff

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

I love that Cable series. IDGAF. "Wah wah wah what it did to Bishop" whatever, hypothetical whiner, he's a comic book character, everybody gets to be a villain for a while and you can do whatever you want in the future, that poo poo never "happens" anyway.

That comment about Bishop is something I think a lot about. As a writer of a long-standing character, it has to be a helluva task to decide what to include, what to ignore, and what to to improve. Sure, maybe you didn't like X event by Y writer, but so what, you can't just ignore everything. Or can you? Can you take what was done and make it better?

As a fan and reader, I ask all these questions, too. But a writer obviously has obligations that I don't. They have obligations to us, actually.
Can a character do something so horrible that a writer is insulting them and us by ignoring it? I have no idea.

It just makes me feel some sympathy for even writers I don't particularly like such as Percy. Like I would have any clue what to read and include in a Wolverine story with all the myriad takes on him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 18, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

fall was just not very good writing wise as has already been discussed, but one thing i couldn't help but notice the whole way through is that this is like, The End, of the krakoa era and they don't even bother having a big time, good artist on it. i kept looking at the page and thinking this is barely functional c tier book kinda stuff

Lucas Werneck is a really good artist and he's done a lot of issues of Immortal X-Men. So he's been around a long time putting out good stuff.

I think it's just the rushed nature of the entire thing so I'm not gonna blame any of the talent if their stuff isn't as good as it usually is. I dunno if we'll ever hear what happened but it definitely looks like they were told to have things wrapped up by a certain time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alaois posted:

man who's idea was it to let Duane Swierczynski write that Cable book and make it a centerpiece of the line through crossovers

e: oh right lol

That Cable series is great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More like Professor rear end

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

NikkolasKing posted:

That comment about Bishop is something I think a lot about. As a writer of a long-standing character, it has to be a helluva task to decide what to include, what to ignore, and what to to improve. Sure, maybe you didn't like X event by Y writer, but so what, you can't just ignore everything. Or can you? Can you take what was done and make it better?

As a fan and reader, I ask all these questions, too. But a writer obviously has obligations that I don't. They have obligations to us, actually.
Can a character do something so horrible that a writer is insulting them and us by ignoring it? I have no idea.

It just makes me feel some sympathy for even writers I don't particularly like such as Percy. Like I would have any clue what to read and include in a Wolverine story with all the myriad takes on him.

I think the writer's obligation is to try and piss off as few fans as possible while understanding you can't please everybody, and the reader's prerogative is that they can ignore whatever they want if it's not germane to the story at hand because yeah, a character's going to change hands a hundred times and, for example, saying you don't like Cyclops for something he did while being written by Claremont is just asinine. [edit: LITERALLY just saw someone on Reddit bring up Xavier "having a crush on Jean". LET IT GO, JESUS. Wasn't that ONE thought bubble in the loving SIXTIES?] And I totally agree that it must be tough as gently caress to write a character that's been having adventures for like 50 years now (despite only having aged about 5 in that time). I'd love to hear MacKay do a deep dive on that since continuity and character history is something he's really tuned into. Right now he's much too busy for us, but one day!

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 18, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's kinda wild that much like Beast, it'd be a refreshing turn for the character if Professor X didn't suck for a while.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

NikkolasKing posted:

That’s a fun chunk of X-‘Men books. Make sure you read AvX VS along with the main book. It’s just fights and it’s better than the main book.

Wolverine and the X-Men alongside Uncanny X-Force are a great time. Definitely check those out.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 18, 2024

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Rockslide going out as food for Krakoa was an inspired choice. Seems like he'll probably be back at some point though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

That’s a fun chunk of X-‘Men books. Make sure you read AvX VS along with the main book. It’s just fights and it’s better than the main book.

Wolverine and the X-Men alongside Uncanny X-Force are a great time. Definitely check those out.

Will do, thanks.

I'll probably be throwing in some Wolverine and X-23 solo reading at this point, too. It all started because Schism sounds really interesting to me but you can't just start there. I've been told where Logan and Cyke end up is a slow thing built up through basically all those comics and then some.

Like yesterday somebody posted his page on Reddit from one of X-23's books at the time:

And he takes this advice to heart in Schism and stuff.

So yeah, lots to read. But I got lots of time and Marvel Unlimited so why not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have felt a good number of the Fall books have been pretty good. But Fall of the House of X is not great. Also things with Xavier are being weird right now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I was just remembering how good Wolverine and the Xmen was. Had a tone all its own

And X Force was real good (and batshit) up to the Necrosha arc. X Force when you think about it prob had the best x run thru multiple writers in that period of time.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It seems like they have some new status quo they want to have Charles be at and they are just rushing to get him there, no matter how stupid it is. Like if Charles didn't do any of the poo poo he did with Orchis, what loving difference would it have made to the plot? Isn't working with Sinister and trying to kill Moira and popping Rachel a sufficient amount of shady poo poo that naturally works off the plot we had? Why does there also need to be some weird little interlude with Orchis that lasts nine seconds and has him killing some randos too?

e: Ah well, to some degree it was always going to be this. It was a thing that was never built to last, and everyone was having so much fun living in it for awhile that nobody quite managed to put in the work needed to take it apart organically.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 18, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shageletic posted:

I was just remembering how good Wolverine and the Xmen was. Had a tone all its own

And X Force was real good (and batshit) up to the Necrosha arc. X Force when you think about it prob had the best x run thru multiple writers in that period of time.

Was initially thinking you were talking about the show, which I agreed was also quite good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought Gillen’s dismantling of the council was a good place to do an organic decline from but maybe it would have taken too long.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

site posted:

Yeah Wernecks art feels as rushed as the writing. However, EVERY issue has some standout panels/pages that are really good. The half page Cyclops using blast on Omega Sentinel was really dynamic and nice.

Silva is crushing it on Rise.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

NikkolasKing posted:

Like yesterday somebody posted his page on Reddit from one of X-23's books at the time:

I very much recommend that Liu X-23 run where she pals around with Gambit. A big chunk of the second TPB is Laura, Gambit, Logan, and Jubilee, which is a team I'd pay dumb money to see together again. There's a bit where Hellion gets too aggressive with Laura and Gambit threatens to put him in the ground that I'm too tired to find (also internet search just keeps getting worse, doesn't it?) but it really encapsulates what I love about ol' Remy.

Also if you like Grumpy Dad Wolverine I've got a TPB called "Wolverine and Jubilee" which is just Logan helping Jubes deal with being a vampire; I quite like that one too and have reread it a couple times.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rick posted:

I thought Gillen’s dismantling of the council was a good place to do an organic decline from but maybe it would have taken too long.

It felt like that plotline ended up running into the start of Fall of X, because if I'm remembering they decide in one issue that they've sucked so bad they should just disband, and by the next issue Krakoa has already fallen, so there's no time to grapple with that decision.

I think these final two series would land a little better if they were weekly like HOXPOX was. There's a lot going on (in one of the series at least...) and it's not particularly easy to keep straight, plus it has kept this storyline dragged out for a lot longer than it can really support.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Veg posted:

Silva is crushing it on Rise.

My takeaway from HOXPOX was that Silva was the better artist but I was in the minority.

Curiel's colors in ROPOX have been amazing

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

They added the first 2 issues of each series and Ultimate Spider-Man early to Marvel Unlimited, but the other X books haven't caught up on the service and it refers to things that have happened but they didn't add those books. Made for some holes in the story.

I like all the Wolverine family, but seeing Logan going nuts and just straight up killing the fascists with blood flying everywhere was cathartic after the last decade of real world insanity.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

I very much recommend that Liu X-23 run where she pals around with Gambit. A big chunk of the second TPB is Laura, Gambit, Logan, and Jubilee, which is a team I'd pay dumb money to see together again. There's a bit where Hellion gets too aggressive with Laura and Gambit threatens to put him in the ground that I'm too tired to find (also internet search just keeps getting worse, doesn't it?) but it really encapsulates what I love about ol' Remy.

Also if you like Grumpy Dad Wolverine I've got a TPB called "Wolverine and Jubilee" which is just Logan helping Jubes deal with being a vampire; I quite like that one too and have reread it a couple times.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just stumbled on this little story yesterday and thought it was very sweet and would definitely love to read more

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Which X-Force run was that? I remember seeing one that had Spiral in it and was mostly people growling and frowning at eaach other and it did not impress me. Despite Puck apparently also being there.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Sephyr posted:

Which X-Force run was that? I remember seeing one that had Spiral in it and was mostly people growling and frowning at eaach other and it did not impress me. Despite Puck apparently also being there.
The X-Force run that involved Necrosha was the Yost/Kyle series that ran from 2008-2010. Modern X-Force comics are as follows:

X-Force (2004-2005): Rob Liefeld return/nostalgia series that may or may not exist primarily to 'prove' Shatterstar isn't freakin' gay
X-Force (2008-2010): Yost/Kyle, aka "Stabby X-Men", tied into Messiah War, Necrosha, Second Coming
Uncanny X-Force (2010-2013): Rick Remender, all about Kid Apocalypse
Uncanny X-Force (2013-2014): Sam Humphries, the one with Spiral and Puck
Cable & X-Force (2013-2014): Dennis Hopeless, ran concurrent to the run above and tied together, I think it involved Cable having prophecies and Bishop being possessed and some other stuff
X-Force (2014-2015): Si Spurrier, no recollection of what this was about, possibly Fantomex splitting into evil selves?
X-Force (2019): Ed Brisson, Kid Cable fights evil Russians with the old 1990s X-Force team
X-Force (2019-2024): Ben Percy, the Krakoa-era one that just ended

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

The X-Force run that involved Necrosha was the Yost/Kyle series that ran from 2008-2010. Modern X-Force comics are as follows:

X-Force (2004-2005): Rob Liefeld return/nostalgia series that may or may not exist primarily to 'prove' Shatterstar isn't freakin' gay
X-Force (2008-2010): Yost/Kyle, aka "Stabby X-Men", tied into Messiah War, Necrosha, Second Coming
Uncanny X-Force (2010-2013): Rick Remender, all about Kid Apocalypse

Uncanny X-Force (2013-2014): Sam Humphries, the one with Spiral and Puck
Cable & X-Force (2013-2014): Dennis Hopeless, ran concurrent to the run above and tied together, I think it involved Cable having prophecies and Bishop being possessed and some other stuff
X-Force (2014-2015): Si Spurrier, no recollection of what this was about, possibly Fantomex splitting into evil selves?
X-Force (2019): Ed Brisson, Kid Cable fights evil Russians with the old 1990s X-Force team
X-Force (2019-2024): Ben Percy, the Krakoa-era one that just ended

This is the good run iirc

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cable & X-Force by Dennis Hopeless is good too. And I liked the one with Kid Cable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, we talked about it a little while back. Cable & X-Force is great and gave us Domino/Colossus.