Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, we talked about it a little while back. Cable & X-Force is great and gave us Domino/Colossus.

its also my go to example of "editorial interference is Good sometimes" because the only reason that happened was the line editor at the time told Dennis "the team needs more of a connection to the X-Force name so we're putting Domino on the team"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
putting domino on the team is never a bad idea

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have no memory of the Humphries book you could have told me it was about anything and Id have to believe you

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blockhouse posted:

I have no memory of the Humphries book you could have told me it was about anything and Id have to believe you

I remember it had Puck on it and I think he was the only male member of the team.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-O posted:

I remember it had Puck on it and I think he was the only male member of the team.

technically true because for like 70% of the run the "team" was just Storm, Psylocke and Puck but eventually Bishop joins it

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

This was not a great week for X-Men. Dead X-Men seemed like a fun idea that just didn't mesh with the other ongoing plots at all. That page where each member stopped to give their motivation for opposing Xavier felt both unnecessary and also the most characterization anyone on the team has gotten the whole series.

And as already stated, Rise felt like needless doubling down on Xavier being a morally complex dumbass. We really didn't need him making a desperate and doomed offer to the evil bigots after he's already done that once and immediately regretted it. So either this ends up being a feint that won't have the page space to land (and makes the AI look like chumps), or it cements Xavier as just that dumb and evil. I don't fully blame Duggan, because he's turned in good work before, but whether it be lack of time or having to accommodate to many mandatory plot points, he's just not delivering like he used too. Which is an especially noticeable whiplash when coming off of Gillen's comics.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

glitchwraith posted:

This was not a great week for X-Men. Dead X-Men seemed like a fun idea that just didn't mesh with the other ongoing plots at all. That page where each member stopped to give their motivation for opposing Xavier felt both unnecessary and also the most characterization anyone on the team has gotten the whole series.

And as already stated, Rise felt like needless doubling down on Xavier being a morally complex dumbass. We really didn't need him making a desperate and doomed offer to the evil bigots after he's already done that once and immediately regretted it. So either this ends up being a feint that won't have the page space to land (and makes the AI look like chumps), or it cements Xavier as just that dumb and evil. I don't fully blame Duggan, because he's turned in good work before, but whether it be lack of time or having to accommodate to many mandatory plot points, he's just not delivering like he used too. Which is an especially noticeable whiplash when coming off of Gillen's comics.

I'm sure there is another twist for Xavier to reveal about his grand plan but looking at his actions this week alone compared to the path he's been on post-gala it just seems like major whiplash. Even the shifty stuff he did with Doug-Sinister and Rachel make sense. But this week it seems like it was a whole different person talking.

Yeah the story has a lot of stuff going on and not a lot happening which can happen with an event like this but man, Xavier really felt like a 180.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I'm sure there is another twist for Xavier to reveal about his grand plan but looking at his actions this week alone compared to the path he's been on post-gala it just seems like major whiplash. Even the shifty stuff he did with Doug-Sinister and Rachel make sense. But this week it seems like it was a whole different person talking.

Yeah the story has a lot of stuff going on and not a lot happening which can happen with an event like this but man, Xavier really felt like a 180.

If you read the previews for next week's books, it's pretty much matching this week's Fall in terms of Xavier's thoughts and speech.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It just seemed sudden cause he was focused on Enigma rather than Orchis.

Like I was thinking it was a trick by Enigma.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is the Shadow King still active? I remember seeing him around Krakoa in some books, and then...not.

Since he's supposed to be a Xavier-level telepath (and was one of the main villains the Claremont era built up to), it's weird for him to be just not a factor.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Just to be clear I don't think Xavier is being controlled or impersonated. It was more of a criticism of the story trajectory and this shift in Xavier from Enigma to Orchis and it's hard to find the connector between last week and this week. He could be putting on a show for Orchis and Scott as part of his greater plan but right now it doesn't flow naturally

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sephyr posted:

Is the Shadow King still active? I remember seeing him around Krakoa in some books, and then...not.

Since he's supposed to be a Xavier-level telepath (and was one of the main villains the Claremont era built up to), it's weird for him to be just not a factor.
I believe there is Abdul Farouhk, the big Egyptian fellow, and the Shadow King, evil astral being, and the two may at present be separate individuals. I'm not sure what Faroukh's powers actually are on their own, though it seems he is a legitimate mutant.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sephyr posted:

Shadow King was just in Rez of Magneto.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

New Mutants had the Shadow King

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Just to be clear I don't think Xavier is being controlled or impersonated. It was more of a criticism of the story trajectory and this shift in Xavier from Enigma to Orchis and it's hard to find the connector between last week and this week. He could be putting on a show for Orchis and Scott as part of his greater plan but right now it doesn't flow naturally

I think Gillen's two books and their previews are making it reasonably clear to the readers that Xavier's biggest priority is defeating Enigma, which is the hidden underlying threat. Even if he has to do something worse than killing kid Moira.

Similar to how Hickman wrote two Avengers books and the secret stuff about the incursions was the real big deal, but only a few characters knew or were involved.

The problem is we don't have one person writing both sides of the story now, but two very different writers and one is coming across as being clearly overburdened at the moment (sorry Duggan).

Thus Orchis is more of an overt yet ultimately secondary issue for Xavier. While Duggan does not have the nuance or breathing room to sell us on his recent specific actions in Fall, I suspect Gillen is going to further provide context to clarify the big picture.

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 20, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think this issue of Fall probably should have come out next week, judging by the previews. And Rise and Immortal should have been this week.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Not that many people know about dominions right? I remember Sinister tried warning the council but I'm not sure if they know what he was talking about.

Maybe Xavier will be prisoner X cos noone knows he stopped Enigma 🤷‍♂️

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

“I stopped the entity that was attacking us from beyond time and space.”

“Sure you did, Xavier. Now back in your cell.”

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thinking about it, are the Orchis machines just supportive of ANY Dominion or just intent on becoming Dominions themselves? Would they be against a Dominion made by a human from a lovely steampunk computer?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Thinking about it, are the Orchis machines just supportive of ANY Dominion or just intent on becoming Dominions themselves? Would they be against a Dominion made by a human from a lovely steampunk computer?

Going by Moira's conversation with Essex, it doesn't seem like they want or are aware of what happens in that they'll all sort of cease to exist when consumed by a Dominion. Which is why it seems like Moira made a deal so she would keep her own consciousness.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They were attempting to be assimilated by the technological dominion they summoned in the hoxpox future I thought?

site fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 20, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

They were attempting to be assimilated by the technological dominion they summoned in the hoxpox future I thought?

I'm not sure. I think I'll have to read it again. But Essex also pretended to be a trickster dominion when he sent Omega Sentinel back so he was lying to her for some reason.

I think the AI believes they'd retain power and control but they'd actually just be swallowed up by Essex.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Essex/Enigma IS a dominion, though? He wasn't pretending to be one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
presumably 'trickster' dominion' is supposed to mean something specific rather than a dominion who tricks people, like enigma. but that context was not and likely never will be provided.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Afair the deal with the assimilation scene in the Powers of X was to show that they could survive in a way being assimilated by a dominion that they invited to visit. I'm feeling that Enigma is going to interfere badly with that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And that's X of Swords done. No more Apocalypse. I am sad.

Man, that middle though nearly made me quit. We actually get to the tournament and it's just one farce after another. And after they built up all that drama about how Douglas is no warrior and will probably die. Even after that it's just more and more silliness and absurdity until Gorgon and Apocalypse vs. Genesis and the ending. I think it was the Hellions issue that turned things around to being awesome again.

And now I am entering Reign of X. I think Hellfire Gala is the next Event. I got a while till I get there, though. Gonna stick with X-Men, Marauders. Hellions, maybe New Mutants, and what else do I got....

quote:

Excalibur #16
X-Factor #5
X-Men #16
Cable #7 – #8
Hellions #7 – #11
X-Force #15 – #16
Wolverine: Black, White & Blood #1 – #4
Wolverine #8 – #10
X-Force #17 – #19
Wolverine #11 – #12
Marauders #16 – #17
Excalibur #17 – #20
X-Factor #6 – #8
New Mutants #14 – #17
Cable #9 – #12
X-Men #17
Marauders #18 – #19
S.W.O.R.D. #5
Children of the Atom #1 – #3
X-Corp #1
X-Men #18 – #20
New Mutants #18
Children of the Atom #4 – #5
X-Factor #9
Sabretooth #3
Way of X #1 – #2
Marauders #20

Is SWORD or X=Corp interesting or worth reading?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 20, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sword is, X-Corp has an interesting premise but doesnt do anything with it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sword is, X-Corp has an interesting premise but doesnt do anything with it.

X-Corp isn't bad, but yes, it fails to live up to the premise. Sword is top tier.

Also X of Swords not being all sword fights was a good move.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember at the time, especially, people were extremely uninterested in X-Corp because nobody wanted to read 'X-Capitalism.'

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Enigma disguised himself as a "Trickster Titan" when it approached Omega Sentinel in the future, which is one class below an actual Dominion in the big ol' A.I. hierarchy. Why did he do that? The books haven't explained it, and might not ever explain it, because the whole Trickster-Titan-sending-O.S.-back-in-time thing was from Hickman's Inferno, which was presumably planned way before Gillen decided that the Titan in question was actually going to be Enigma in disguise.

A No-Prize answer could be because the Phoenix was supposed to have destroyed all the actual Dominions at this point in the timeline, so it's less suspicious if he was a Titan instead. Maybe.

site posted:

Enigma doesn't assimilate anything, he just consumes it. "The absorbed are no longer there, in any meaningful way."

A "naturally-occurring" Dominion, which is what team Nimrod wanted to be assimilated into, would be comprised of billions of intelligences existing in some sort of cohesive unity. Kinda debatable how much of that kind of unity is still actually "you," imo...but, at bare minimum, it's supposed to be some kind of group effort situation. Enigma isn't that (and if any of the other Sinister clones actually achieved their goals, they wouldn't have been that either). Enigma is still just one single "mind" that that happened to achieve the type of power you'd ordinarily only get from squishing so many minds together they ascend beyond time and space.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

NikkolasKing posted:

SWORD is Al Ewing’s first Krakoa era book, and quickly becomes one of the best contributors all the way to the end. It’s up there with Hellions as a real gem to the era.

Check out Way of X and see how you feel about it. A little uneven, but has some strong stuff if you like Nightcrawler and Legion.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Did they ever actually DO anything with Mysterium?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Soonmot posted:

X-Corp isn't bad, but yes, it fails to live up to the premise. Sword is top tier.

Also X of Swords not being all sword fights was a good move.

I'm not saying it wasn't, just that I can't take our heroes losing seriously when it's because the competitions are things like "kill kittens."

Open Marriage Night posted:

SWORD is Al Ewing’s first Krakoa era book, and quickly becomes one of the best contributors all the way to the end. It’s up there with Hellions as a real gem to the era.

Check out Way of X and see how you feel about it. A little uneven, but has some strong stuff if you like Nightcrawler and Legion.

I forgot to mention I was already interested in Way of X because I absolutely adore fantasy religions. I'm all about just reading books about religions in things like Pathfinder or whatever. Way of X being (from what I was told) the book about mutant religion on Krakoa made it a must-read for me, even if I did hear some weird things about it in the Marvel thread.

But thanks for the suggestions and info, everyone. I'll def check this all out.

P.S.

This is weird but all the "punctuation profanity" kinda throws me off. Wolverine and Magik talk in some issues like this every other sentence. It's like playing FFVII again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NikkolasKing posted:

Man, that middle though nearly made me quit. We actually get to the tournament and it's just one farce after another. And after they built up all that drama about how Douglas is no warrior and will probably die. Even after that it's just more and more silliness and absurdity until Gorgon and Apocalypse vs. Genesis and the ending. I think it was the Hellions issue that turned things around to being awesome again.

And now I am entering Reign of X. I think Hellfire Gala is the next Event. I got a while till I get there, though. Gonna stick with X-Men, Marauders. Hellions, maybe New Mutants, and what else do I got....

Make sure you read Planet Sized X-Men, it's incredibly key to the whole next period. I didn't see it on that list.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Harold Fjord posted:

Did they ever actually DO anything with Mysterium?

Iron Man armors and a space fleet.

Oh, you mean as a economy bait to gather allies across the universe? Yeah, that idea didn't go anywhere.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Honestly I'd recommend reading Children of the Atom all in one chunk. It works better (imo) if you read it as one story that just so happens to actually tie into the larger world of Krakoa at the verrrry end.

Saoshyant posted:

Iron Man armors and a space fleet.

Oh, you mean as a economy bait to gather allies across the universe? Yeah, that idea didn't go anywhere.

I think they also used it to get a whole bunch of space money, which conveniently doesn't mean poo poo on Earth whenever everyone goes back to NY.

Oh and also it's been a plot device in Scarlet Witch but that's not an X-book because she's never been a mutant ever ever.... :v:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 20, 2024

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not saying it wasn't, just that I can't take our heroes losing seriously when it's because the competitions are things like "kill kittens."

You and me are different.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Reading Hellions 7-11, I was reminded of a post I read elsewhere the other day that was like "has Mastermind ever been anything but a total piece of poo poo?" And, for most of this little arc, I was thinking "well right here he's doing all this to keep his daughter alive. That's at least kinda admirable."

Except...not. Great story, though. Still not really sold on this Sinister but I am certainly longing for somebody to finally beat the poo poo out of him so that's working.

Honestly, when he's just jerking around this tiny group of nobodies, that's fine. It's more when he's with some of the most powerful mutants in the world and they put up with him basically spitting in their face every second. Mystique and Shaw put on trustworthy acts, Sinister's buffoon routine is equivalent to him insultig Magneto and Exodus nd Xavier with every word out of his mouth. It's really hard to believe they all stomach this. When I read his dialogue there, it makes me think of Pegasus from Yugioh. I fuckin' love Pegasus but he was always dealing with people he could control and thus it's fine he plays the clown. If he was doing the same routine around people stronger than him? Well, that kinda happened in the end.

Anyway, this "Hesiod Protocol" thing - murdering AI indiscriminately - is pretty hosed up, Charles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Surely there will be no lasting consequences of that choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, for long time readers and stuff, is it fair to say the X-Men have had a couple Dark Ages:
The mid to late 90s
Post-AvX to before Krakoa

It seems like these are the eras I hear almost nothing about, or if I do hear something about them, it's not good. People generally recommend just skipping over them in my experience just hanging round teh fandom this past month or so.

I dunno about if sales are a known quantity here. Like I've heard late 90s X-Men were a detriment to Marvel, as opposed to being their biggest seller just earlier that decade, but I hve no idea.