Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Laughing Zealot posted:

X-force

I've been warming up to this thing about Krakoa being the ultimate safe haven that mutants could escape to after all the poo poo they've been through the years. Could we not have gone longer than a month before the defenses are breached, hilariously easily I might add, and people get blown apart?

Well I mean we've had years and years and years of the various X people being colossal gently caress ups in their personal and professional lives, as are all their enemies, what would possibly make anyone think they wouldn't gently caress up their own nation?

Literally none of these people are qualified to run a school for children properly, why do would you think their incompetence would scale down as the responsibilities scale up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mulva posted:

Literally none of these people are qualified to run a school for children properly

The gently caress are you talking about?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Wolverine is a good teacher for the X-Men because I don't think the majority of any of his classes went evil or died. That's the bar for how mutants deal with their children. "Most of them are alive and not evil, it was a good year in the child harvests".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I'll be for X-Force if it turns into Domino's team book.

That's what one of the future solicits has me hopeful that is the direction the book is going in, but having the first issue imply that she's been captured, killed, skinned and had strips of her skin stitched on to the bodies of supersoldiers in order to bypass Krakoa's security web via halo jump is one hell of a first stepping stone to get there.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mondo was a real unrepentant piece of poo poo. It's hard to see how he got to where he is in NM.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Alaois posted:

That's what one of the future solicits has me hopeful that is the direction the book is going in, but having the first issue imply that she's been captured, killed, skinned and had strips of her skin stitched on to the bodies of supersoldiers in order to bypass Krakoa's security web via halo jump is one hell of a first stepping stone to get there.

She isn’t going to be very happy about being sent on that mission. Her and Chuck will probably have some words when they come out of their eggs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Little Mac posted:

Mondo was a real unrepentant piece of poo poo. It's hard to see how he got to where he is in NM.

Weren't Evil Mondo a clone Black Tom made?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Weren't Evil Mondo a clone Black Tom made?

Yeah but real Mondo was an rear end too.

This is more AoA Mondo which is fine with me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah but real Mondo was an rear end too.

This is more AoA Mondo which is fine with me.

I am unfamiliar with Mondo, what's his deal?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I only know AoA mondo, and thanks to the artist in genX he was creepy looking. But not Sugarman creepy.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Soonmot posted:

I am unfamiliar with Mondo, what's his deal?

Okay, so Generation X spun out of the Phalanx Covenant, which ended up with Banshee and Emma Frost opening up a spin-off school for a new generation of mutants. You had Jubilee, Skin, Synch, Chamber, Husk, Penance, M, Buff, Refrax, and Mondo. It's fun for a 90s Lobdell book and all the characters are interesting. Mondo was a laid-back Samoan whose abilities allow him to merge with matter upon contact, absorbing its mass and properties until he "digests" them.

Mondo gets abducted by a handful of folks because he has pretty intense powers. He changes hands from Cordelia Frost to Shinobi Shaw and finally to a guy named Barrington... who was actually Black Tom Cassiday. Black Tom hoped to use Mondo to get revenge on his brother Banshee, so he cloned Mondo and then set things up so that Cordelia would bring him to be recruited by Generation X. Clone-Mondo hung around the Academy, interfaced with Krakoa (!!!), and was pretty chill the whole time. Then Black Tom enacted his programming and Clone-Mondo started viciously taking out his teammates one by one. He had spent the whole time learning about their powers and weaknesses. However, just as he was about to kill Jubilee she gets saved by... Bastion?! Bastion - who feels like he should fit somewhere in the whole Orchis storyline, tbh - pulls out a super anti-mutant gun and murders Clone-Mondo. The End. This is, like, issue #25.

Meanwhile, Black Tom escapes and basically radicalizes the real Mondo. Real-Mondo is told about how Cordelia Frost is really the cause of all his troubles so he works with Black Tom to take her out, knowing that Cordelia will run to Emma and thus Generation X. Mondo works to murder the students because... Black Tom basically told him to and does a pretty good job of trying. GenX appeals to their friendship, but Real-Mondo - rightfully so - claims not to know them, so he's fine killing them. But eventually GenX fights back and Black Tom, Mondo, and Juggernaut (oh yeah he was there) dip. This is like Generation X in the mid-#60s.

And then... that's it! He's basically been in two major storylines. His clone was a traitor and assassin and the real Mondo is... also just an assassin! He showed up during Cyclops's speech in DC and during Secret Empire in group shots, but that was it. The Mondo in New Mutants seems like the Mondo from early-Generation X. So, like... did he die and Xavier just rebooted him from Clone-Mondo's memories? The real Mondo is garbage boy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I choose to believe that current Mondo looked at his buddy Black Tom and said "hey if that guy's gonna be chill with everything so am I"

That way I don't have to think about it any harder than that

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Little Mac posted:

And then... that's it! He's basically been in two major storylines. His clone was a traitor and assassin and the real Mondo is... also just an assassin! He showed up during Cyclops's speech in DC and during Secret Empire in group shots, but that was it. The Mondo in New Mutants seems like the Mondo from early-Generation X. So, like... did he die and Xavier just rebooted him from Clone-Mondo's memories? The real Mondo is garbage boy.

Black Tom is also on Krakoa and is acting surprisingly chill for somebody with a nearly-40-year history of being a total bastard. I think we need to start really considering the idea that Xavier is loving with people pretty hard.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wanderer posted:

Black Tom is also on Krakoa and is acting surprisingly chill for somebody with a nearly-40-year history of being a total bastard. I think we need to start really considering the idea that Xavier is loving with people pretty hard.

Why are we assuming it's Xavier?

For all we know it's Krakoan spores or some poo poo

broaden your minds

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Little Mac posted:

Buff and Refrax

No. Bad.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I can see what people mean about X-Force. It's definitely just...we're less than one month into the new status quo and already mutant children are being shot in the head. Of course the extenuating caveat here is that they can all come back now, but still. C'mon. Issue number one.

And also the the thing where there's apparently maneating monsters roaming Krakoa is like...look, I'm of course of the opinion that this new mutant paradise is more of a crazy sham than anything else, but making it so that they're apparently living on Danger Island just feels like forcing grunge and edginess into a status quo that was supposed to fix that sort of thing. Is Krakoa friendly to mutants or isn't it? It doesn't get to be both. We might as well put the school back in Limbo if that's the case.

At least we get some new insight into how the operations are run, and hopefully we'll get more in-depth into the resurrection protocols as well now that baldy's bitten it. It might be as prosaic as "Jean pops him into a new body, the end," but maybe not.

It does get to be both, given that one of the major themes of Hickman's plan for the X-Universe is evolution, and how species interact with each other and evolve because of one another. So, in this case, Krakoa is a mutant-friendly island, with it's own ecosystem and the animals, etc. there are evolving to match their new mutant-rich environment. Who knows how long/fast evolution takes on the island. The question is whether that's a piece in a bigger story: is the island evolving to reject mutants? Is Krakoa doing something to make it that way? Did Moira spend so much time on the human/mutant evolution issue that she missed something dangerous to mutants in the animal kingdom?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Those were the original Hellions in that panel of New Mutants, right?

And where is Thunderbird?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Those were the original Hellions in that panel of New Mutants, right?

And where is Thunderbird?

probably wherever Warpath is, hanging out and catching up after John's been dead for the past *sliding time scale* years

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

probably wherever Warpath is, hanging out and catching up after John's been dead for the past *sliding time scale* years

Probably less than 10, Hickman said he disagrees with the editor about how old Cyclops is (editor says late 20's, Hickman writes him to be early 30's), and I think even Iceman was a college graduate by the time of Giant Size X-Men.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Little Mac posted:

You had Jubilee, Skin, Synch, Chamber, Husk, Penance, M, Buff, Refrax, and Mondo.

When were Buff and Refrax ever in a comic? As far as I know they were only in the Generation X TV movie. They replaced Husk and Chamber.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay out of the first issues, X-Men, Marauders, New Mutants are pretty neat. Excalibur is a bit weird but who knows how that'll go. X-Force is the clunker of the group, being way way too much like stuff we've seen before. Who's the writer anyway?

Excalibur and X-Force are both clunkers. X-Force is the same old poo poo and Excalibur seems like a checklist.

You're allowed one popular character: Rogue
You're allowed one wildcard character: Apocalypse -*|A|*-
You're allowed one obscure character: Trinary
You're allowed one nostalgia character people will recognize but no one claims as their favourite: Jubilee
You're allowed one character to re-invent: Psylocke Captain Britain

And then Gambit is thrown in as a freebie because of Rogue.

Heathen fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 9, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Tom's had an amusing evolution of his powers. Once upon a time he could just shoot fire through his Irish cane. (Not a euphemism.)

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Honest question: why can't Magik just teleport all of them to Sam?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I don't think she can do interstellar distances. That was Lila Cheney's bag.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

It'd be a much less interesting book.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Cloks posted:

It'd be a much less interesting book.

"Look, I know we can fly across the country but it's so much more interesting if we just walk" please...that's a lazy answer or it's lazy writing.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

does Magik still have the problem where if she teleports a certain distance she might also teleport through time

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i wouldn't trust Magik to teleport me to the convenience store without having some kind of horrifying trans-dimensional experience let alone another planet in a far star system

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

^same but Corsair

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They really need to hook up with Lila Cheney.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Especially now that Cannonball is married and has a kid.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

really need to hook up with Lila Cheney.

-me, 1992

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Magik can do next dimension easy. Next solar system, less so.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is Cannonball still nigh invulnerable when he's blastin'?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gologle posted:

Is Cannonball still nigh invulnerable when he's blastin'?

Yeah, although he doesn't say it as often these days. Also:

https://talktotransformer.com/ posted:

Is Cannonball still nigh invulnerable when he's blastin'? Well, not anymore, as that super power is gone now. Cannonball doesn't have an actual super power anymore, but he does have a new ability: "When Cannonball is KO'd, his Power Gem is recovered and he may recover all of his health." This may not sound like much, but the power gem itself has two uses. First, when Cannonball is knocked out, he may pick up his Power Gem and use it to recover his health. This power is pretty useful, as it can be used to recover your health back from near death. Second, the Power Gem has a cool new ability. It can be thrown in the direction of Cannonball when he is KO'd, and upon impact will

There's still something we're better at than AI and that's knowing our nerd poo poo, take that Nimrod

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Why are we assuming it's Xavier?

For all we know it's Krakoan spores or some poo poo

broaden your minds

Yeah, between the predators and some stuff on the Fallen Angels previews, I am now utterly convinced Krakoa is brainwashing every mutant so it can eventually eat them all. Which considering the fact that Krakoa STARTED as a mutant devouring abomination before the retcons muddled everything, is kinda obvious.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

ALL mutants are for KRAKOA

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Posting these pages in the X-Men thread for no apparent reason that probably won't come up later:

(from Rocket #2)

Sesq fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 11, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Sesq posted:

Posting these pages in the X-Men thread for no apparent reason that probably won't come up later:

(from Rocket #2)

it would be pretty funny if Hickman/Brisson end up building an actual story around Al Ewing's one-off joke character

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Like Jason Aaron keeps doing with The Orb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sesq posted:

(from Rocket #2)

Yeah I’ll take a full comic of these fuckers, please and thank you