Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can someone explain this? I genuinely don't get it.

Oh. X-Men. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

"Laura, you don't understand, I just... I had to get out of there. My room is across the building and I still heard everything."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRwkcV1VL7k

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The first Marvel comic I ever remember buying was one that came in this weird gift bag from Toys R. Us.

It was the issue where Wolverine had just recovered from getting his adamantium pulled out and then popped his bone claws for the first time.

It was weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Little Mac posted:

So a villain team? What old name could you resurrect for this? The Brotherhood? Nasty Boys?

... Freedom Force?

The Sinister Six

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

It's very weird that they're marketing it as a horror movie, though. How the gently caress can you have a horror movie where your protagonists have superpowers? Part of what makes horror works is how powerless the protags are against the threat. Like, the people in The Grudge can't do poo poo against ghosts, but Magik has a magic sword and spells and stuff.

Dude. Like half the loving horror franchises in existence have a superpowered protagonist. Jason got his rear end kicked by a psychic and a sexy android.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I noticed Xavier does seem to act like humanity is a monolithic entity. As of what Roxxon does is the fault of people living in Hungary.

Any group that silently stands by *is* at fault and precious few humans have actively worked to defend mutants while an exceeding large number have been complacent in some form of abuse or atrocity. Hungary isn't at fault for Roxxon but I bet if you look through X Men history you'll find a Hungarian mutant who got the ol' generic evil mob treatment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

That would be pretty out of left field. She's been a mutant character forever.

To be fair Moira was a human forever too, to the point where her specific non-mutant status was a plot point (Legacy Virus.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There have been a couple of stories over the years implying Kitty wasn't a mutant too.

Huh, I'm curious about this. Which ones?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parallax posted:

is there anything about the resurrection process that precludes bringing back a non-mutant

The only thing would be a backup AFAIK.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, to be fair, I'm not super fond of the "erase flaws/weaknesses" school of writing. For a lot of characters their flaws or limitations are part of who they are as characters and just removing them because 'it's boring' comes across more as 'it's hard to write around and I don't want to."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In what world is he being separated from his life partner and both of them accept that? :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

wait what

Shatterstar and Longshot are a hell of a drug.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Saying Krakoans are racist against humans is to ignore that they've spent the last however many years being oppressed by humans.

I mean one does not preclude the other. There are real world examples of oppressed people who had no problem shifting into being oppressors.

The mutants are not quite there yet but there are alternate futures where they absolutely are. (And of course alternate futures where they are massively oppressed by humans so hey! Shitlords for all.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest you'd have to do a hell of a lot to get me to accept resurrection. I'd be like Dr. Bones and the loving transporter. Don't tell me how indistinguishable the other version of me will be, if you can clone me that ain't me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean the largest lovely thing about it is that it would be another industry where smaller businesses die while big corporate just keep all the profits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

Don't worry, He's Good NowTM

I mean to be fair this is genuinely true for like 75% of X-Men characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I don't see anyone but Scott being interested in a relationship with Emma, and I assume Logan is both Scott and Jean's piece on the side.

Emma Frost and Jean Grey would unironically be better couple than any other pairing in that group.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's weird when you think about how many characters have defining powers that aren't technically their own. Wolverine's claws, Rogue's super strength/flying, Rachel's phoenix stuff, Warren's metal wings (at least for a while), probably a bunch of others I forget.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"We need to revive Cable."
"Which one?"
"Uh..."
"I mean do you mean the old one, the young one, the one that's technically from an alternate dimension..."
"Alternate dimension?"
"Oh yeah, Age of Apocalypse, real mess. Oh, or do you want the one that's actually Wolverine?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It only feels like you've been probated for 10,000 hours because she also transports you to limbo. It was really just a sixer.

I mean if the choice is Limbo or staying in this reality I will shitpost my heart out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rantmo posted:

Pffft, Cloud has hair like a mammal, this guy whose name I can't be bothered to try and remember or look up has feathers because he's a bird jerk man.

Cloud's hair is directly compared to Chocobo Feathers. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wtf even is a psylocke

Mojo named her that so it's probably a case of "he made up something that sounded marketable."

I had the discussion with a friend a while ago and they were basically convinced that it was supposed to be a joke on psyche. Instead of psy-key you have psy-lock. I don't really believe them but I've heard dumber origins for superhero names.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

(Side note: this is why the Han-Shot-First thing is loving dumb; if you need that to give Han an "edge" or whatever than the rest of the characterization you've set up is not doing its job.)

This is an incredibly wrong statement to make about a movie. Singular scenes that help define who a character is are a center part of how those movies are created. Unlike a television show where you build upon previous episodes movies need singular scenes that define that and changing even one singular scene can drastically change how you view a character. (Something that can be seen in countless movies where a single deleted scene recontextualized them drastically.)

When you change one thing you change everything surrounding it because that singular thing provides important context. A great example of this is Aliens where the theatrical cut completely removed any mention of Ripley having a daughter, and while the themes of motherhood are still clear it drastically changes how you view Ripley's character based off that scene and if it is included or missing. Blade Runner is another great example where small changes lead to big differences.

Unless they are the sole focus or majority focus of the movie a movie character is lucky to have as much time onscreen as a single episode of television and unless you're doing "We're already planning three sequels" stuff then that screentime usually needs to involve a character arc. That is discounting the fact that an action movie is also going to eat up a huge chunk of that runtime with action scenes.

It is also true of comics where many times a single scene defines something important for a character and removing that single scene drastically changes who they are, which is why so many retcons are messy or dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

In those movies, the sexists were... the bad guys.

And also, "Pocahontas" as a slur has a particular meaning in our political culture now. Even if you wanted to make the argument that Illyana being needlessly racist helped her character arc (it didn't), having her repeat a slur made famous by a fascist, white supremacist is probably not ideal. And "Standing Rock" is equally bad, in that it makes fun of a very serious, real-world thing. (That apparently also happened in the X-Movieverse.) It's not to be made light of.

These are bad loving choices.

Likewise, Han doesn't need to be a killer (on screen) for you to know he's a shady dude. They literally find him in a place described as "a wretched hive of scum and villany."

The thing is that yes you need that because Han is portrayed by a likable actor who is largely presented as bullshitting without that scene. To show his transition as a character you need a point of comparison and going from 'perfect willing to shoot someone dead over his debt' to 'returning in the hour of need rather than escaping with the money.' This both completes his in arc in story and pays off the the sequel where Han making that choice has consequences that carry throughout the rest of the series.

In a movie especially you shouldn't have unimportant scenes unless the lack of importance is itself important. If you go 'well without this scene the character doesn't work so it must be the character who is bad' ignores that entirely. Those moments are what defines a character and changing them changes the whole.

As far as New Mutants goes I agree it was rock stupid but in the hands of a better writer/director you could do something interesting with a character who is racist suddenly finding themselves part of an oppressed group. (District 9 for example is about that.) It was just a case of wrong writer, wrong character' wrong director and wrong movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

Also, literally the only people who think Han-shot-first matters are people above a certain age. And if a 10 year old today can enjoy those films and understand the moral shift in one of the main characters over the course of the film? Then maybe there's not a problem with the change!

This is untrue on multiple levels.

One is that no, it isn't only people above a certain age. Nerds are nerds and people don't stop forming opinions about things that happened before they were born in popular media. Most of us probably have opinions on comic choices far older than that. This is especially true with X-Men when we'll still gladly talk about things that happened before the vast majority of posters on this forum were a twinkle in their parent's eyes.

The second is that 'kids can enjoy the film" is always a fairly weak criticism because for the vast majority of kids what they enjoy versus what they pick up on are very different things. As a kid most of us probably liked the things we liked because they were full of cool stuff and neat characters, but the films that sustain the test of time usually do so because they also work on more than just that level. When I was young I liked X-Men because holy poo poo Wolverine was cool and Cyclops could shoot lasers from his eyes, as I got older the underlying metaphors and concepts behind it appealed to me as much, if not moreso, and there are certainly things in those stories which influenced how I feel about things today without me realizing at the time.

People grow up and identify media in different ways over the course of their lives. In some cases they grow out of it or change enough that what they once loved feels really offputting now. In other cases they find new ways to respect something they liked as a kid. X-Men and certain other heroes I think are good at this because they mix (sometimes successfully, sometimes not) these elements in. X-Men is about as much as marriage, bigotry, discovering your own identity, figuring out how to fit in without losing who you are, and what it means to be yourself as it is about the dude with kickin' rad exploding cards fighting a samurai made of metal. You can find a lot of this discussion among X-Men fans where even if they didn't realize it at the time X-Men was a major part of them coming to terms with elements of their identity and how it was okay to have those feelings.

twistedmentat posted:

Robert's true love is himself.

This is the only correct answer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

They're concussive force beams God dammit.

Tell that to kid me who watched him melt poo poo with them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IUG posted:

Not that it solves Hickman's problem with not addressing some of the issues he created, but some of this was addressed in Zdarsky's X-Men/Fantastic Four series. It's all about should Franklin leave the F4 to live on Krakoa. But I guess what was all done in some one shot that I don't think many people read?

I mean it is also entirely nonsense now because Franklin was never a mutant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

Maybe 2020 has just broken how I perceive people nowadays, but that carries a really strong undercurrent of racism and hate to me. And this was during the Claremont run too, good grief. Maybe comic fans truly have always been terrible.

EDIT: Imagine thinking that Peter and Storm should just gently caress off forever when Storm was consistently one of the most badass parts of the run. Imagine hating Nightcrawler.

No, it's 100% racist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

I mean I know it might be asking too much but just saying you can only be a Mutant if you have the x-gene and not giving radiated folks the x-gene seems like a real easy solution.

A big problem is probably the fact that Being A Mutant was absurdly marketable for a while so making people mutants was a good way to make them more significant. (Like Cloak and Dagger.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

I thought Colossus was like 16, he was just a large adult son so it was easy to take him for older. I know the ages have bounced around though, but that was my impression circa Dark Phoenix Saga.

Kitty Pride runs into a lot of issues with age-inappropriate romances because she is one of the primary victims of Comics Time. At least it isn't Warren Ellis' creepshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's really weird that Wanda gets the blame and Magneto gets off scott free because of a dumbass retcon that makes no sense done entirely because of petty MCU/Fox infighting that isn't even relevant anymore. "How dare Wanda do that?!" they say as multiple people who literally tried to genocide entire species just sort of chill on Krakoa.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean even the mere idea that someone isn't a viable person to bring back because they're a clone speaks fuckin' awful about the place considering that their entire concept of revival is super-cloning and even before that a not-insignificant portion of the population were probably some version of clone/alternate dimension duplicate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

How did no one post that the complete Summers family tree (alternate realities, including) has finally been revealed this week!?

from X-Men Legends #02 (2021)

Seems unfair for Jean's sister not to at least get to show up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

She's not a mutant!

Also Alex is really slacking. Scott has four kids of varying nature running around, and a clone of one of them too. Alex has squat.

As far as I'm aware neither are any of their parents. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

It's the Summers family tree. Sara sister wasn't a Summers. Wasn't married to a Summers. Hadn't given birth to a Summers. And Hadn't adopted a Summers.

Also, wasn't Sara actually a mutant and they just never knew until after her death? Could be a good reason to bring her back.

Wait, is Hepzebah actually related to the Summers? I thought she was just Corsair's on-again/off-again romantic interest but it says 'related by blood"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

i feel like Hickman threw this infographic out into the wind, refused to elaborate on it and then bounced

I mean it's obviously wrong, we all know Franklin Richard was never a mutant and honestly it's kind of stupid you assumed he was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

franklin being a "mutant" mutant was always dumb. the kid's parents are two people whose dna got cosmic rayed. you don't need to then go, oh wait but your power actually comes from you also having the x-gene. it's just so unnecessary. maybe slott can come in an un-retcon kamala too

I liked that though. Like I liked that there was a major character in the universe who was just a mutant. Marketing stunt or no, Franklin being a mutant meant that a major non-mutant family actually had a mutant kid and might have to deal with that, even if it was just in Days of Future Past. It's genuinely more appealing that no, their kid was just born a normal kid who happened to have an X-Gene.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

And he has a following? Like, I know the current state of America is hosed up but there is a significant contingent of America that sees the resurrected version of Captain America that was evil and Hydra and now is anti-mutant who supports him even as he calls himself Flag-smasher and is like “this guy speaks for me”.

Its just too much. Or maybe I want it to be?

Donald Trump, the man who literally tried to overthrow the US government, is one of the frontrunners to be the next President, even after declaring he wants to be a dictator.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unpopular opinion but I've always been of the opinions that the Predators are kind of totally wimps. Like textually, they are super-advanced alien hunters who spend their time sniping people while invisible with a super laser. Like the people who claim they're great hunters because they shoot wolves from a chopper.

Unless you're getting killed while invisible then I'm pretty sure anyone who remotely qualifies as a superhero would just wreck their poo poo 1v1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can not loving wait for Beast to get retconned because there is literally no plot in comics I despise as much as "Beast, the man who looks like a monster but has the soul and mind of a good person" becoming "Beast, the horrible monster man, was in fact a total amoral monster man, gently caress him, you were right to treat him like a beast."