Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Could someone possibly say who the new writers are for some of those series? I don't know if I should be picking up Fallen Angels, Excalibur, or X-Force. Those are the three I haven't subscribed to since I don't know those authors off the top of my head.

EDIT: We also know about Zdarsky's X4 comic coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My first that wasn't X-Men Adventures (the fox show from 92) was Uncanny 300. It had that silver cover! I was distressed to see Colossus as a bad guy.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I'm back on X-Men, having jumped off when Bendis took over. I know Kate went to space for a while, but this seems like a whole different personality for her. I'm half expecting the other characters to ask her what's really going on and there's some trauma that she's covering up. Besides the tattoos being tries-too-hard tattoos, hasn't she always had a certain connection with her faith? Tattoos and Judaism don't mix, last I checked. Seems like a drastic thing for her to throw away.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

I'm guessing that Storm is gonna confront her at some point soon.

She probably should have done it before Kate permanently marked up her body. (I have 8 tattoos myself, so it's not the idea that she gets one, just to be clear.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

jng2058 posted:

It's totally explicable. You've got Proteus right there altering reality to make sure the person who comes out of the egg is the same one who died. Given the batshit crazy stuff we've seen Proteus do over the years putting some ink on Kate's fingers is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Comedy answer: The next time she phases the ink falls right out onto the ground.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Her mother is apparently still alive, and it seems she was at her almost wedding to Peter:
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Theresa_Pryde_(Earth-616)/Appearances

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Roman Herbom posted:

I loved Marauders, easily my favorite book of the relaunch.

I assume you've missed New Mutants then, probably because there's not an "x" in the title anywhere. You should fix this when you can.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That'll be a "maybe" for me, as I looked up what Zeb Wells wrote. He did volume 3 of New Mutants which I liked (back when X-Men were in San Fransisco).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

You could:
- Find a way so that their powers contribute to their sense of powerlessness or alienation. Twist it so they're told they are Oh So Very Sick and make the powers a liability.

- Go with the adolescence/puberty metaphor.

I was hoping the twist was that doctor was Ms. Sinister or something. And hoping it wouldn't be "oh what a scary mission. Thanks for the Danger Room time Professor X!" poo poo at the end.

I'm going to guess that all the horror stuff is a result of Dani's power, which they show they don't know what they are in the trailer. From the Marvel wiki: "Moonstar's mutant powers emerged at puberty, but she could not control her ability to create visible images of people's greatest fears. Manifesting the images at unexpected moments alienated her from everyone in her community, except for her parents".. I know you shouldn't spoiler tag speculation, but it seems pretty obvious if you know Dani Monnstar's powers.

Also, in Deadpool 2 the asylum that Rusty is in is a Mr Sinister reference. The name of the place is the "Essex House for Mutant Rehabilitation".
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/State_Home_for_Foundlings

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

rantmo posted:

Leah Williams and David Baldeón are doing an X-Factor book. It's a team who investigate mutant deaths for The Five before the resurrection protocols and I am here for it. Northstar, Eye-boy, Rachel Grey, Prodigy, Polaris, and Daken, "Wolverine’s disaster son" " because the team needed a 'fucky thot enforcer.'"

Ah cool, X-Factor, and using Eyeboy, he's one of my favorite new X-Men.

quote:

Leah Williams and David Baldeón, fresh off of Gwenpool Strikes Back,

Ah gently caress, nevermind!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Read X-Tremists.

I was told that she's a good writer, and maybe even wrote something else that I liked (that I can't recall now), but Gwenpool Strikes Back was one of the worst comics I've read in maybe the last decade. (I stopped at 3 though.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Where is my X-Club book? Science Team!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't remember the exact way that mutants are brought back, but I thought it was just the 5's powers, starting with Goldballs' balls. I didn't think there was any Krakoa involved.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Goldball's name change to Egg will only be good if he's killed, brought back, but something goes wrong.

"No Xavier, what you have here is a BAD EGG!" To be continued!..

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, fine, I guess I'll buy the last two issues of that series.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

God drat that was a great issue of New Mutants. That whole false recap page made me think I had missed an issue until Dani came in and spoke to Robert and clued in what happened.. I thought I missed an issue like 3 months ago.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think my other problem with the direct market dying is that even if you go trades-only, or digital, that just means place like Barnes & Noble, Newberry Comics, and other corporations will be the only people distributing this stuff afterwords. They're going to be some of the few places that will have money to stay afloat if this goes on long, and who's going to try to open an indie shop if the direct market closes? Everyone's going to go to digital with maybe trades from Amazon, there may be no small independent shops, and Disney/Warner aren't even going to feel it.

EDIT: ^^^ Damnit!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m reading a big collected edition of New Mutants now, and goddamn is it hilarious that they’re teaming up with failed marketing tie-in Team America by issue four. Professor X ditches the new mutants for three issues in order to train them in mastering their motorcycle skills. I think their toy line and comic had already been cancelled by that point.

What a weird choice for a guest star. When did they start using Spiderman or Wolverine as guest stars to help out new books?

Ha, we're at the same point in a New Mutants re-read then. I just looked up Team America to see if any of them spit off and did anything, or if someone like Zdarsky or someone had an odd reference to them. Nope, no one has been used since mid 80s.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has anyone looked at the oldest set of these he posted and see if they match any comics he works on? I remember people freaking out about the first few times he did them, but don't recall if they led to anything.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I wouldn't do the freeze/thaw trick with any old brand of tofu, it can get really spongy and weird. When it works it works but if you're charging in half-cocked you might just gently caress up a perfectly good block of tofu. Shame on Glob Herman.

(this reminds me of college days when everybody seemed to have the vegan shepherd's pie from Scott Pilgrim memorized)

Edit: Here's a mod challenge-- if you make Glob Herman's laksa (or, gently caress it, Scott Pilgrim's vegan shepherd's pie) and post pics and feedback I'll give you an av or something. I want to see some laksa.

Does it need to be vegetarian or have the mushrooms? My wife looked at this and now wants to make it.

(You should say you'll give her an SA account, if you mods can do that. She's a dirty Redditor.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife made Glob's Laska last night, the hottest day of the year so far! She loved it, so she's probably going to start making this a staple in the fall/winter. She says that if you use coconut milk, be aware it will curdle. It won't hurt anything, it just looks weird. She emulsified that with the blender. Otherwise it was in a crockpot with the chicken instead of tofu. She also wanted to add pan fried shallots, but they burnt while she was juggling everything else.

(I'll just take archives access if you will, since I realized an account is twice the cost of what you wanted to give out. I'll just buy her an account.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

Is there any idea of when the next Marauders issue drops?

Maybe soon. Next week's X-Comics have increased in quantity for the first time since the pandemic, so maybe they're starting to bring things back up to speed.

From Previews.com (trimming out the non-X-Men comics):

quote:

MARVEL COMICS

MAR200834 EMPYRE X-MEN #1 (OF 4) $4.99
MAR200835 EMPYRE X-MEN #1 (OF 4) RIBIC VAR $4.99
FEB200872 HELLIONS #2 DX $3.99
MAR200909 NEW MUTANTS #11 $3.99
FEB200881 WOLVERINE #3 DX $3.99
FEB200883 WOLVERINE #3 KUBERT HILDEBRANDT VAR DX $3.99
FEB200884 WOLVERINE #3 RANEY MARVEL ZOMBIES VAR DX $3.99
FEB201066 WOLVERINE TP WEAPON X NEW PTG $19.99
FEB201053 X-FORCE BY BENJAMIN PERCY TP VOL 01 $17.99
FEB200877 X-MEN FANTASTIC FOUR #4 (OF 4) $3.99
FEB200878 X-MEN FANTASTIC FOUR #4 (OF 4) BROOKS CONNECTING VAR $3.99
FEB200880 X-MEN FANTASTIC FOUR #4 (OF 4) ELIOPOULOS VAR $3.99
FEB200879 X-MEN FANTASTIC FOUR #4 (OF 4) HETRICK FLOWER VAR $3.99

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The mayor is great!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That drat smkapwing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The worst part about Doug and Large Wife is that everyone was freaking out about Betsy shattering minutes before, but then they're all in attendance for the wedding and behaving themselves.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

With Doug it's best not to ask questions. Before the HoX/PoX prologue his last appearance was as a hobo, squatting in an abandoned house, on the verge of death because he was physically addicted to memes.

Was this New Mutants: Dead Souls? I remember that series being extremely bad, but don't remember this particular bit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not that it solves Hickman's problem with not addressing some of the issues he created, but some of this was addressed in Zdarsky's X-Men/Fantastic Four series. It's all about should Franklin leave the F4 to live on Krakoa. But I guess what was all done in some one shot that I don't think many people read?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Come to think of it, are there any popular characters that were created because the writer wasn't allowed to use a planned character at the last minute over at Marvel? I know that's how DC got two separate carbon copies on Constantine running around.

X-Men wanted to use, I believe, the Daredevil villian The Owl. They couldn't, so Mr Sinister was invented instead.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/sispurrier/status/1347649449540136966

So Spurrier, so instant add to my list.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's got to be Greg Land art.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Character spoiler for the Hellfire Gala:

twitter.com/ChangoATX/status/1374539149244571655
(I'm using Awful, so I had to break the url so it wouldn't embed.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

This isn't a spoiler, it's just random fanart. Folks are just drawing looks they wanna see on characters they wanna see in the event.

Bah, it was retweeted by Si Spurrier, so I got my hopes up for Way of X. My bad.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Call the book Xiles.
Fixed.

Or maybe X-iles.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I feel like that last Xavier outfit means he's going to tell us how to get free money from the Krakoa government.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah they announced it right around when the COVID gap would have hosed with their release schedule for a month DC announced they were doing only 3 months

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

this is easy to say now, and not in summer 2022 when Marvel unveils the Infinity Knull crossover, wherein Null sticks the Infinity Gems into his goopey symbiote sword and summons a dragon that looks like Thanos that destroys all of Kree-Skrull space, and is also revealed to be the double secret leader of the machine intelligence that has been set up as the ultimate final boss of the Krakoa era (CYBORG SYMBIOTES)

What is this garbage.

Clearly they would be Techno-Organic / Trachnarchy Symbiotes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Zdarsky's already in good form to use Substack

So what's the context here? Because I'm assuming it's taken out of it, or a joke.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Was it just me who thought Trail of Magneto was terribly written? Not just the three *sigh* in the first few pages, the dialog was horrible. Everything Stark said made me wish he was dead.

I thought Magneto's whole attack was going to be done kind of misdirection or something, but no, just a dumb attack. Also he's invincible or something, every mutant on the island and a bunch of Avengers can't stop him.

IUG fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 17, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

While this event is garbage, I’m wondering if the whole “wizard dies but comes back to life as their younger self” is a tie-in to Death Of Doctor Strange, or if the author is just copying school work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What recent X-Title was it that had the earth exploding in the middle of the title, then going into the future, and had like Archangel’s kids come back in time to stop it from happening? I’m hoping that’s not what happens here either.