Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haven't checked in since like the Hellfire Gala and the Moira escaping series which I didn't like, any good runs similar to the comedy, well honed continuinty, and surprising maturity of X-Men Dark Web and that team Sinister led that had the egg lady in it? Love to catch up. My first thought is to finally read X-Men Red since alot of you people seem to like it and Al Ewing wrote it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cool I'll start with Red. And X-Terminators was the first thing I read coming back. So loving good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Those panels reminded me that I started reading X-Men Red and found it to be that grim, overly serious and frankly boring retread of seeing mutants get their poo poo pushed in before someone makes a speech for two pages and the bad guy with a thousand kill count (and in this case a billion) doesn't get killed for it because they are going to be used in future books.

Then realized I was reading the first volume of it and there's a second one that's way more interesting and innovative written by Ewing. Bit man I was confused for a while on why ppl recommended it.

Also really liking Way of X so far. Made me want to go back and finish up those Xmen legacy Legion comics I read partway.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cool will do

E: I really like that sword miniseries where Beast looked like a hosed up horse

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alaois posted:

Look man, there was a period years back where everyone had a mass psychosis and really loved Tom Taylor comics for some reason, I didnt fully understand it at the time and every passing year makes it less clear

Is he the guy who wrote that green lantern gets tortured for awhile series. Cuz I had to drop that. He feels like he would be the worst person to have a conversation with.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not going to lie, I genuinely had Tom Taylor and Tom King mixed up in my head for a minute there and got really confused by Site's comment.

Lol that's the guy I was thinking of.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

you know whose Wolverine run I love and is memorable as hell?

Wolverine: The Best There Is. It's pretty out of control, written by Charlie Huston.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Call it Overly X-Posed

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

my recent x-men run somehow turned, from seeing Legion and what was going on with him, to a New Mutants OG read. And I have to say like 12 issues in, it's real cool to see these characters grow in their abilities and confidence. And it's cool this is from the teenage experience (from a middle-aged pen). But they should rename it New Mutants: Go Off Somewhere to Cry.

Lol, it's every issue has one of this kids need to find a forest to pour one out for themselves

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

rantmo posted:

Nicieza is loving great and a massive part of the X-line in the 90's.

His Cable and Deadpool run is a necessity and prob responsible for the latter's popularity I say without any proof. The way it ends is brutal too with Cable going on about the lack of permanent change or growth in his world (aka comics as he his character is reverted back to BIG GUY WITH BIG GUN because another creative team wants to use him).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So why did Hickman leave? Seeing where Moira ended up feels like some things got botched. Would have loved to see a Claremont like run from him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh so he would have ended it earlier. Then I'm glad that didn't happen!

I was just really pleased at something that changed the status quo so much.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I loved those books. Wonderfully cohesive.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I have some interest in reading Decimation through Schism or AVX when I'm done with Krakoa. It definitely has its fans, although a lot of detractors, too.
The rough reading order I'll be following:

I guess Wolverine and the X-Men is at the bottom there, I heard it's good, although I'm also learning from the X of Swords Handbook making me look up Marvel Database that Wolverine was part of X-Force (I'm pretty sure) at the exact same time as he was running that Jean Grey School. I'm not sure how he can stop Apocalypse's resurrection and poo poo in addition to being the headmaster at a school but okay.

I was just remembering how good Wolverine and the Xmen was. Had a tone all its own

And X Force was real good (and batshit) up to the Necrosha arc. X Force when you think about it prob had the best x run thru multiple writers in that period of time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

The X-Force run that involved Necrosha was the Yost/Kyle series that ran from 2008-2010. Modern X-Force comics are as follows:

X-Force (2004-2005): Rob Liefeld return/nostalgia series that may or may not exist primarily to 'prove' Shatterstar isn't freakin' gay
X-Force (2008-2010): Yost/Kyle, aka "Stabby X-Men", tied into Messiah War, Necrosha, Second Coming
Uncanny X-Force (2010-2013): Rick Remender, all about Kid Apocalypse

Uncanny X-Force (2013-2014): Sam Humphries, the one with Spiral and Puck
Cable & X-Force (2013-2014): Dennis Hopeless, ran concurrent to the run above and tied together, I think it involved Cable having prophecies and Bishop being possessed and some other stuff
X-Force (2014-2015): Si Spurrier, no recollection of what this was about, possibly Fantomex splitting into evil selves?
X-Force (2019): Ed Brisson, Kid Cable fights evil Russians with the old 1990s X-Force team
X-Force (2019-2024): Ben Percy, the Krakoa-era one that just ended

This is the good run iirc

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it was well received in the abstract, but also was only six issues released across 18 months and then the book bounced around between the Knaufs or a single Knauf or Christos Gage or Stuart Moore or etc. for a couple of years before it petered out as a secondary book to Fraction/Larocca's new Iron Man series that coincided with the first movie. Compared to Brubaker Captain America or Bendis Avengers, it sold less/didn't last as long/came out slower/is generally less remembered.

I really liked those Knauf books and thought they were better than Elliss which really didn't amount to much. A real good companion to Brubaker's work in Captain America which were uniformly excellent.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

man those new mutants comics where they were getting killed literally by the busload were grim. I hope that this isn't a return to that sort of cheap drama but awful outcomes for anyone not famous enough.

like multiple young mutants got shot in the back of the head in a short amount of time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I guess Orchid won?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This "there was no morality on Krakoa" is a weird idea I've seen a few times as I've bounced around the X community the past month or so. I dunno why.

Just earlier today somebody told me they were stealing mutant babies and felt righteous in doing so. I had to scratch my head at this since I just finished reading both Children of the Atom and Cable, the former dealing extensively with how the leadership of Krakoa will emphatically not force (supposed) mutant children to come to Krakoa, and the latter with them returning kidnapped mutant babies to their families.

And in New Mutants Gabby is doing her absolute best to stop her friends from being manipulated by the Shadow King because she knows how it feels and wants to stop them from being used. Now, her friends are wrong to trust a bastard like him, but I can see where they are coming from. Everybody telling them their mutant status is a gift or blessing while they look and live as they do.

That seems to me to be the true struggle of Krakoa - not abandoning morality but finding a morality which takes into account the unique problems of mutants like Cosmar.

EDIT:

As mentioned I'm a new reader still making my way through Krakoa, and after that I wanna go back and read the Decimation through AvX era, but I just found this little blurb fascinating.

I'm sure there's a lot of nuances I'm missing, having not read the issues in question as of yet, but it strikes me as really interesting that Wolverine of all people tends to be on "Team Idealist" in these splits. Was he not against Revolutionary Cyclops in Schism and AVX? Apparently, Scott is once again entering that mindset and once again Wolverine stands with what seems like the most impossible dream.

My main source of reference is still cartoons where his "ruthless pragmatism" tends to be in opposition to the idealists. the latest ep of X-Men '97 is a perfect example. But in these..."ideological conflicts" he is on the idealist side of things.

If I'm understanding all this right. As I said, still got so much to read.

I think he's had a lot of development that "softened" him over the years and don't forget he was the head of the Xaviar school for awhile, Wolverine and the X-Men by Jason Aaron, definitely worth a read.

He's always been a idealist who loves doling out lessons to those he takes under wing, him being a mentor just an important and continuous characteristic of Wolverine as having adamantium claws and being the best at what he does, etc.

E: and that's why he's content to do all the murdering, because that way the rest of Xavier's dream is uncorrupted.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Keep on Krakoa'n

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The bit in X-Tremists where she picked up a baseball bat and proceeded to go ham on the loving planet because she suddenly remembered that she had a kid was easily the best character moment she’s had since… the cartoon?

That series was so good. Only like 5 issues iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol. But really, the inability of comic characters to ever permanently change has driven me put of mainstream comics many a time.