Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Benjamin Percy also wrote a very good Wolverine podcast. He does get the character.

https://www.wolverinepodcast.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

We already know that mutant resurrection is a standard process in Krakoa by now, so the meat of the story isn't about any particular death sticking or not.

Rather, the story is more about what will be the meaning or consequences of what happened, even if the person easily returns to life.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

It might be either UXM #321, X-Men #41 or Cable #20. All right before the Age of Apocalypse. Otherwise, perhaps a reprint of UXM #199 (Rachel is on the cover). Not entirely sure about when I picked that one up. Trying to make any sense out of either of those with only the cartoon as background knowledge was...weird but fun.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

X-Force starts with responding to a key incident, so they'll get around to more formal missions later.

Don't think it's "missing the point" either. Humanity threatening (or planning to) Krakoa is relevant.

That said, definitely one of the two "darker" books but, IMO, it's more solid than Fallen Angels so far.

I think it's good for the line to have room for variety. Everything can't be as chill as Marauders.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

X-Men was a riot, in my opinion, but I can see why some folks may not be up for it. Weirdness is a plus in this case, since it's a new type of threat for mutants.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Currently, X-Men seems to exist in order to set up new information that Hickman can use months or years later, depending on how long the "Dawn of X" phase lasts before moving to the next part of his plan.

He did say all these phases could be extended or shortened according to the state of sales and reactions in general.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I got that, it just seems like the vault thing is treated like something that was introduced before. And Serafina? I took a few months off.

The Vault is from Mike Carey's run, which was pretty good. The first couple of arcs are especially relevant.

Edit:

She's originally from Carey's run too, btw.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 30, 2020

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

As much as John Byrne would complain, nobody wants Magneto as a stock villain anymore.

Honestly, the best Magneto stories have him as an antagonist or alternative to the X-Men but not as a world-conquering, genocidal maniac.

In other words, Magneto as an anti-hero who can team up with the X-Men but won't necessarily agree with them on every issue.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Mr. Sinister got what he wanted.

That's the important part, I think.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Skwirl posted:

What did he want? Besides to be a catty bitch, I mean.

Data/Information on Apoth, sort of a self-aware AI (maybe?) which was a new threat Psylocke defeated in that book.

If it's actually relevant to Hickman's larger story, I am sure it'll be explained better after the fact.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

Has anyone written a book about the arc of the Image guys from their rise as superstar artists to present day? I find it fascinating how they had this big rockstar creators rights break with the big two, and then 90% of them ultimately ended up going back to doing the work for hire stuff with a fair bit of regularity, Jim Lee going as far as to sell all his creator-owned stuff and become one of the bosses they positioned themselves opposite of

Granted, a lot of it was probably just publicity blather, and there might've been labor and royalty changes in the time since that ameliorated the issues they liked to talk up, but I still find it funny how basically everyone except Todd McFarlane ended up reconciling with corporate-owned superhero comics in some form or another (and that guy has kinda stepped out of comics altogether)

Definitely a story that can be told in entertaining ways. Based on what I've read, Rob was already a troublemaker while Jim Lee was always more of a company kid, so his career path makes sense.

If nothing else, I am very glad that Image eventually became a good home for creator-owned comic books of all genres, even though most of the initial set of titles by said artistic superstars were...pretty but trashy superhero comics (and sometimes just plain trashy yet not pretty at all).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Claremont admits he doesn't even read the mutant books by other people, so it's really just his "high level" opinion based on hearsay.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

danbanana posted:

At C2E2 he was apparently poo poo-talking HoXPoX openly. And here he mentions opening an unnamed book where he "created 2/3 of the characters" and reading half of it. Dude is still opening books- at least now- to form an opinion. It's not that I don't believe he "doesn't read" X-books anymore. I think it's more that he's not actively reading monthly.

I don't think it's a controversial thing to say that his run will forever help define those characters but that his way of telling their stories isn't the only way. It's weird to hear someone not fully understand that...

Regardless of how much credit Chris Claremont deserves, which nobody can ever take away from him, other people can and will write the characters. He should accept that.

I mean, making a throwaway reference to "reading half of it" without a lot of specifics (and what's the particular "it" involved? House of X #1, the collected edition of HOX/POX or something else entirely?) seems closer to the equivalent of browsing through a magazine at the store, being turned off by some of the ideas or dialogue on the page and then putting it down. He has also gone on the record about not caring for modern X-titles before, so I can't entirely imagine him doing a good faith read at this point.

Ironically, I think we all know that the current status quo isn't going to last forever and there will be reveals in due time, even if it's not exactly like Claremont's Krakoa idea (but, who knows, maybe it could have parallels).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Excalibur could be one of the more crazy X-books way back in the day, so I can't say that's a surprise to me. I suppose they're trying to newly emphasize that for a while.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I think that Children of the Atom book could still come out though, after they're completely done with X of Swords.

Can't say I was super hyped for it, but I also wasn't particularly against the idea.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I don't like having giant crossovers every year, but I can deal with one of them once in a while and the current line hasn't had any. I'm also not allergic to lore getting suddenly dumped on the reader if it makes for a fun time and I thought this issue did work out for me that way. It doesn't hurt that the art is insanely pretty either.

Like some previous X-Men crossovers though, this event will probably read better in trade format (or a couple of trade volumes, given the size). It's probably worth mentioning the script for this is Hickman + Howard, not just Hickman working alone, for better or for worse.

Not expecting any Moira stuff other than small teases or cameos, since Hickman has mentioned that resolving her situation would be more of a longer term thing.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 23, 2020

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Yes, the resurrection process fixed it and now she can use her powers better.

That's gonna be a common answer these days.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

danbanana posted:

Seriously, the most egregious thing in the first 5 years after Claremont's departure (and literally in the story he left because of) is the reduction of arguably the most complex "bad guy" in all of superhero comics into a generic, mustache-twirling villain. Mags probably has more appearances as a headmaster in Claremont-written books than anything else...

X-Men (1991) 1-3 does work rather well as a bittersweet swansong to Claremont's take on Magneto, but he really is a totally different character the next time he pops back up.

Some say those 90s writers (and later Morrison) went back to the pre-Claremont Magneto, as referenced above, yet it's clear that version of the character was the least interesting one.

I'm glad that better writers have tried to restore some nuance to him. That said, I will admit to thinking the whole idea of Onslaught was cool back when the books were coming out.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 2, 2021

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

Magneto is not a good person, and Claremont rehabbing a guy who repeatedly tried to subjugate or destroy the human race is a bit of a stretch.

Or maybe I’m just mad at Claremont because I just read Uncanny X-Men #183 this morning, and despite it being a well written issue, all the X-Men being totally cool with Kitty (14) and Colossus (19) having feelings for each other is real gross. Wolverine wasn’t trying to hurt Colossus for creeping on a fourteen year old, he was mad that Colossus shacked up with someone on Battleworld, and wasn’t taking things seriously enough with Kitty.

I wouldn't say Magneto is a completely good person either.

You should be able to understand why he resorts to extreme methods, depending on the situation, but the man is definitely guilty of a lot of crimes.

Even in the current Krakoa status quo, which has most mutants sharing the basic aims of his ideology in some ways, he's hardly an innocent person.

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps Byrne thought Magneto didn't need nuance and tried to make him just a super-villain again. It didn't work because late stage Byrne is terrible and also so was the idea.

Byrne has said that he didn't like how Claremont was turning Magneto into Dr. Doom, so yes...he wanted them to go back to a simpler portrayal.

Incidentally, Dr. Doom is another villain who also works best when there is at least some degree of ambiguity involved, not only total megalomania.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I'll read 48 pages of grocery shopping lists if Pepe Larraz were drawing them, but I don't like calling something "planet-sized" if it's only twice as long.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Wait so Inferno was Hickman kind of kicking over his sandcastle?

Because boy I'm loving sick of Mystique and Destiny.

If anything, he left most of the sandcastle intact for other people to play with.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I thought the first issue was fine. It does seem to still be missing something, so hopefully the next week will provide a clearer connection between this and Inferno, as some have teased.

As for Beast...I personally prefer the more sympathetic version of the character from the cartoon myself, but...even though it's not a pleasant experience, I can see why Percy is taking Beast in this direction when you review the character's history:

https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/04/20/beasts-dark-descent-from-the-silver-age-to-benjamin-percys-x-force/

That doesn't mean this was a necessary outcome, mind you. Just not an illogical one.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I don't believe it was ever in serious doubt, but Immortal X-Men is clear proof that Gillen's still got it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

glitchwraith posted:

Not to my knowledge, plus we now have Gillen who so far has been a great addition.

I don't really get the criticism of Tini Howard, having recently read through her run on Excalibur. While not my favorite of the X-Line, it was serviceable, though I imagine it not reading well issue to issue, especially with the Covid delays. I'm unaware of the overall opinion on X of Swords, but given she co-scripted it with Hickman and worked closely with the writers across the line to pull it off, it's obvious she's got a good working relationship many in the office.

Haven't read as much Percy to have much of an opinion, though what I have read thanks to X of Swords and X Lives and Deaths of Wolverine didn't leave a good impression. Just happy the Moira parts of his story wasn't as dumb as the Omega Red parts.

Gillen and Ewing are the two best writers on the mutant books right now, so I think the future's looking pretty bright. Duggan can write entertaining comics most of the time, which is also good. Percy has had mixed results and I didn't care much for X Lives/X Deaths in the end. Now that he's gotten his big Wolverine story out his system, maybe he'll finally get around to wrapping up some other plotlines.

I can agree Tini Howard's writing is easier to digest when you can read the trades rather than individual issues. Excalibur, even back during its classic era, was always something of an odd title. It's definitely not what most people would associate with typical X-Men content on the surface, because of all the magical/mystical shenanigans, but it's decent enough. Totally understandable why it wouldn't work for everyone though!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

it's funny/sad that claremont made that big deal at a con panel about how much he hated the krakoa direction and talked about how much better his ideas were and then he just shits out the same boring slop he's been doing for years when he gets a book

the man who basically reinvented comics writing just does not have anything to say anymore

It's almost sad to hear that Claremont's take on how to rework this Krakoa era would just be a standard "...the evil island seduced them and was controlling everyone all along!" angle.

Maybe editorial will go down that road sooner or later, in a moment of desperation, but it would be the least interesting creative direction to take the X-Men books.
With all of its various ups and downs, I think the batting average of the current mutant books line is probably the highest it's been in at least a full decade.

That said, I am still fond enough of Claremont on a certain basic level. It's okay that he gets to do smaller projects every now and then.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 22, 2023

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I mean, Krakoa is just Utopia but taken a step further (and introducing more politics and immortality) so it's not like it came out of nowhere. The X-Men don't have to be evil to go with an idea of "gathering all the mutants to a safe place and uniting heroes and villains".

You're right in the sense that the the concept itself isn't new, but the context and execution make a difference when we get into the specifics. Those additional steps matter. Hickman also tied it all together with a bunch of other things that weren't around for the Utopia era. That sort of texture provides an interesting playground and I am disappointed Claremont isn't interested in doing anything less predictable with it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

My first thought was...good change, but Destiny should be older if you're doing a flashback. Still, I guess this is comics. They could come up with some explanation for that...eventually.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

its kinda funny that Powers of X showed mutant timelines extending to 1000 years out but the new experiment doesnt even last the first power of 10 years. :v

Gillen is very likely going to address some of that Powers material in Rise, together with wrapping up his Immortal run. He is certainly not Hickman per se, but in some ways I tend to prefer his writing quirks.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Speak posted:

I feel like this has been just about everything since Inferno. The X-Office wanted more time in Krakoa, and we got two years after Inferno, but the pace has been blistering, especially as it feels like editorial decided time was up. Things that would have had room to breathe in the first couple years of Krakoa are just getting short series and dumped as quickly as possible as they prepare for whatever is next. It's only been six months since the last Hellfire Gala, and the status quo that came from that definitely needed more time to cook in my opinion.

Based on a recent interview with Kieron Gillen, it does sound like the main writers would have been able to accomplish a better build up with an additional six months or so.

In retrospect...I guess it's very easy to say that the X-Men editorial office not wanting to move on from the initial stage of Hickman's plans was a bad thing. Not just because we lost Hickman in the process, but also because that led to a degree of meandering and now we have to rush towards a conclusion of the major overarching plot threads before jumping to a whole separate status quo. I'm still glad we got some good books out of it and I'm also happy we got people like Kieron Gillen and Al Ewing on board for the resolution, but it's bittersweet.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

danbanana posted:

I saw some Wolvie spoilers and yeesh... It also sucks because while I wasn't enamored with LaValle's Sabertooth stuff, it was nuanced and tried to say something about the character.

Sabretooth has always been a horrible person and an aggressively murderous one at that, at least outside of the version from AoA, so the edginess doesn't bother me too much...since even LaValle knows that Victor Creed is a complete monster, regardless of all the unfairness of the system and the social commentary he was making about it in his two books.

He is still co-writing this last arc with Percy so a little nuance might come to the surface by the end, but yeah...not much you can avoid in terms of bloodshed, pain, suffering and death with a Wolverine vs. Sabretooth setup, unless you just play it off for laughs as seen above.

That said, the specific amount of gory detail is just aiming for shock value sales. Reminds me of Avatar Press and the books they used to publish.

wielder fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 2, 2024

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, we'd just had poor Wolfsbane killed in the most ridiculous way (beaten to death by anti-mutant bigots - in a weird attempt to mirror violence against trans people - when even if she didn't want to kill her attackers and she probably wouldn't because she's Rahne, she could have turned into a wolf and left) and thinks were looking bleak.

That whole mini-era was certainly a case of "we know or suspect everyone is going to come back whenever Hickman does his thing, so feel free to go as depressing and pessimistic as you want".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Just to be clear I don't think Xavier is being controlled or impersonated. It was more of a criticism of the story trajectory and this shift in Xavier from Enigma to Orchis and it's hard to find the connector between last week and this week. He could be putting on a show for Orchis and Scott as part of his greater plan but right now it doesn't flow naturally

I think Gillen's two books and their previews are making it reasonably clear to the readers that Xavier's biggest priority is defeating Enigma, which is the hidden underlying threat. Even if he has to do something worse than killing kid Moira.

Similar to how Hickman wrote two Avengers books and the secret stuff about the incursions was the real big deal, but only a few characters knew or were involved.

The problem is we don't have one person writing both sides of the story now, but two very different writers and one is coming across as being clearly overburdened at the moment (sorry Duggan).

Thus Orchis is more of an overt yet ultimately secondary issue for Xavier. While Duggan does not have the nuance or breathing room to sell us on his recent specific actions in Fall, I suspect Gillen is going to further provide context to clarify the big picture.

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 20, 2024