Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

WaffleZombie posted:

Look, I'm several days behind, and this is quick and dirty, but I felt the need to make this:

I snort laughed at this and woke up my wife. Hope you are happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

This part also threw me. I can't think of any reason for them to have not only replicated the Destiny encounter in full...but to have also changed a number of lines of their dialogue...

...Unless the two scenes occur in different lives.

Destiny said it herself: the best way for Moira to be sure of her theories is to test them in different lives.

So, something's going on with that.

Still, I'm not completely sold yet on the idea that Moira wants to hurt mutants while Destiny wants to save them. She's the one who told Mystique to burn Krakoa to the ground, after all.

This is my running theory as well. It wasn't entirely out of place to rehash that specific story beat, given that 'don't bring back Destiny' is a huge point of the event. Makes sense to help fill in readers who might have missed it. But the specific changes are just enough to make me wonder. Here they are, for anyone who is curious.

The first shot of the scene is an almost exact redraw, same characters, same setting etc. Only in one she is holding the cure, the other she's got a glass of wine and is just talking about it. The dialogue is the same until moira speaks, where the line is essentially the same. Except in House of X she says 'You killed all my friends, everyone', whereas inferno has her just saying 'if you're going to kill me, then just kill me and get it over with.

Mystique doesn't say 'now listen closely'. Moira omits 'But I'm not trying to force it on anyone'. Destiny's talk about killing Moira changes to 'I will see you coming' rather than 'I will see my end coming', but that one makes sense given that Destiny is dead and it feels a bit weird to be bragging about how she sees her death coming.

When told that she can die, HoX Moira asks how that is possible, Inferno Moira asks 'how can I die'.

The big change is the very end of the scene. Originally when asked if she will change, Moira says she doesn't know. Destiny goes to kill her, and tells her that dying like this is what a life lived poorly gets you.

In inferno there is an entire extra page where, unlike the original, Moira talks back to Mystique, Destiny talks about how after many lives, Moira might very well start to wonder 'what if they were wrong and I was right'. Then in the end Destiny burns her to the line 'so she doesn't forget what failing to change feels like'

The scene is redrawn panel for panel, so I can't imagine the incidental dialogue changes are anything but intentional. The extra page might just be an addition in order to tie the themes (Moira hedging her bets, not being so on board with mutants as she let on) to the new story, but small changes like in a story about someone who can relive their lives really suggest to me that we're looking at a different scene that ends the same way.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I suspect it's because X-Force needing to get resurrected by The Five is a very commonplace occurrence, but like seventy mutants, not so much. Remember, Xavier and Magneto are trying to keep this quiet. They can explain away Yet More Dead X-Force easily, but if they start going "okay we need to bring back these thirty guys and also stop asking what happened to all the spare Gambits", Hope is gonna start asking some questions, y'know?

Woke up my girlfriend snickering at 'Yet More Dead X-Force'. So thanks for that. Now all I can think of is the worst krakoan cereal imaginable. Oops, All Dead X-Force.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

If a mutant who isn't Moira gets hit with Forge's depowering gun and they die they can just be rezzed back to normal right?

Moira, we knew you were coming back to try and restore your powers.

Okay... But then why did you not only leave the mutant depowering guns intact, but fully loaded and unattended?

Im starting to think Xavier is bad at planning.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mameluke posted:

It's weird how four issues each in X Lives and X Deaths are still two halves of one story but X Lives is just outright dire while X Deaths has some fun stuff each issue

It is because x deaths has a story. X lives suffers from the fact that its story is basically a serious version of a Rick and Morty sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvxRnNucaeo

Caros
May 14, 2008

danbanana posted:

Am I to believe that the first page of this week's X Lives implies that Wolverine had Venom in his blood during the Weapon X experiment?

Did Donnie Cates write this bullshit?

Web of venom, Ve'nam is wack poo poo.

Nick Fury needs a supersoldier, they find the grendel symbiote in scandanavia and he shoves bits of it onto five guys then sends them into Vietnam as special forces.

Shockingly this does not go as planned.

As a result he calls in Wolverine and sends him into Vietnam in order to hunt down the soldiers before things get more out of hand.

Wolverine gets infected at some point in the comic, then gets it burned off him. I think the running theory is that he has some leftover in him when he is getting studied.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Cool, thanks for this! Another character I thought of was Dazzler, who according to her profile here has appeared 16 times in the Krakoa era, almost all of which are likely cameos because her powers lend themselves to that. I think she was only in a few issues of X-Factor as an actual character. It's kind of surprising she's not on a team, given that she was an X-Man during one of its most popular eras and that she had pretty constant appearances all through the 2010s.

I've grown to like X-Force a lot as the book has gone on. It's finally pushing Hank into being an actual bad guy, where previous books would bring him right up to the edge and then step back, then do the same thing all over again. More than that, it's the kind of evil that you see in real-world intelligence agencies. Hard Men making Hard Choices, and because the choices are hard, they must, therefore, be the right ones.

I do wish the annual had had Hank being a little friendlier with Emma though. One of the best bits of Morrison's run was after Emma had been shattered and Sage and Bishop were having trouble investigating because "no one liked her." Hank was pretty quick to defend Emma and talk about why he did like her. It was a subtle moment that helped ease Emma further into the Xavier school crowd.

A friend of mine described modern beast as Mutant Henry Kissinger and I can't see anything else when he is on panel these days.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

It's a good Laura story. Also it's canon that when one of the X-Men have a power or something they didn't before (Laura having a completely adamantium skeleton) it's because one of the Five hosed up.

Oops All Adamantium.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Okay, House of XCII was delightfully charming.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I spooked my Cy-cat when it got to:

No more Wanda.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rick posted:

I don't want X to Fall.

If it makes you feel any better it is probably Charlie getting pushed down a flight of stairs for being a dink.

I'd be really surprised if they killed the krakoa era right now given that it is the best the comics have been in years.

I'd expect a 'back to basics' reboot to coincide with whenever they introduce mutants into the mcu because they are afraid that new readers will see hippie gently caress Island and wonder why they aren't all in an upstate NY school, but that is a few years down the road.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Geez, and I thought X-Corp was a disappointing title before... :v:

I can't remember, does Disney own the comics too? House of mouse doesn't gently caress around with trademarks.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Major lol at NEW-ISH CHARACTER Rasputin IV introducing herself like, "I am the lone survivor of a hellish future..." and Kitty just goes, oh, she's one of those.

I was annoyed for half a second because its like "Okay yeah, don't lampshade how odd this just because weird things happen in comics".

But then it occurred to me and I started counting:

Dark Beast, Nate Grey, Holocaust and Sugar man from AoA. Bishop. Cable, and kind of sort of Hope though more time travelling bullshit.

I'm sure I'm missing a ton since I'm only distantly familiar with pre dawn of x stuff but it is, in fact, surprisingly common.

Caros
May 14, 2008

One of the info dumps says that this space is already filled by a dominion. It could be anyone but yeah the odds are it's one of the Sinisters.

We also still haven't really seen what's made Sinister die with the whole "you're a ghost" and seeing "red and black" but it seems like it's related to the Dominion. Sure does seem like that might point to Mother Righteous, though.

It is worth noting that the color scheme on the 'red and black' scene looks eerily familiar to the dominion scene in SoS.

If I had to put money down I'd say Either destiny or a more benevolent, original sinister.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Jai Guru Dave posted:

At this point is Sinister just Roger from American Dad?

Which one of the closes is Ricky Spanish?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Going to be honest, I get why they went for this setup for plot reasons but the teeth gnashing reaction to finding out that alternate universe versions of themselves were genocidal assholes feels... kinda silly.

I can see Rasputin IV not trusting any of them, and I can see them being wary because 'hey maybe we missed something' but the way they're acting as though they have any fault in this is just odd. To call back to Kitty, this is one of those situations, terrifying alternate future where good guys become bad guys. Cyclops doesn't blame himself for what went down in AoA, hell, they don't even hold a grudge for poo poo they actually did half the time, even when it was actually of their own volition.

I know hope has the whole 'hotheaded' schtick, but throwing hands with Exodus for something the alternate timeline mindwarped version of him did to the alternate timeline mindwarped version of her is weird as hell, and I hope they don't stick to it for any considerable length of time.

The fact that Storm is smugly superior by dint of the fact that her alternate timeline version was lucky enough to have not gotten sinisterized is a terrible take.

At least people being pissed at destiny makes sense.

Caros fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 5, 2023

Caros
May 14, 2008

I liked Forge asking how many times they never recovered Wolverine's skeletons and Scott was all "uhhh :shrug: "

Somewhat funny thst the guy whose power is being very hard to kill is getting killed by the bucket full, I'm not gonna lie.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Maduo posted:

I mean, I don't think any of the Essexes succeed but I also don't have a good theory as to who does.

Best running theory would be the 'Original' or some sort of 5th suit 'joker' Essex.

My money is on a Nathaniel Essex with the rules for playing poker tattooed in small font on his forehead.

Caros
May 14, 2008

AzureFlame posted:

Feels kinda obvious for there to be some sort of 5th wildcard clone. Some sort of... Joker?

Caros
May 14, 2008

site posted:

It's gonna be something stupid like orchis chatgpt rigging the results because the best telepaths in the galaxy can't detect the guy hacking colossus. Omega means poo poo tier now

I think that is because he isn't being controlled psychically. Chronicler is a reality bender, not a mind controller. He writes what collosus does and reality reforms to accommodate . Presumably he can 'quiet' Collosus' mind into appearing normal any time they do a psychic scan of him, so there isn't anything for them to detect.

I don't think he's really out to conquer these days. It seems that he's gotten a new outlook on survival and is more on the side of good.

But yeah, him being a part of this is a good guess. I think Kamala is gonna be on that team too.

Dude even has a new nom de guerre because 'I am the peaceful guide and friend to all mutants who is also named Apocalypse' is less than ideal.

Caros
May 14, 2008

glitchwraith posted:

Maybe I'm just coping, but I'm calling shenanigans. I simply don't buy that an era of X-Men built on "It's untenable to repeatedly genocide mutants and have the line survive." with "We genocided the mutants." I'm sure that will be the apparent status quo for a spell, but I don't see these deaths sticking regardless of what form it may take later. Maybe something tied to Mother Righteous? Also feels like a good time for Phoenix to return. I just hope the resulting stories are worth the fake-out.

Also, I feel a bit bad for Iman Vellani having to write her debut comic as a follow-up to this.

Best guess is Manifold as the solution.

Despite the whole 'meat grinder' line, it doesn't make much sense for them to all be dead. Orchis went out of their way to try and off or disable every teleporter they could find and destiny (who went through the gate willingly) insisted that Manifold was critical to their survival.

Why they wouldn't just off them, I don't know, but I suspect they dumped the all somewhere and manifold will be needed to bring them back.

I remain convinced that fall of x is chuck getting thrown down a proverbial flight of stairs.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Okay, so re-reading this:

Xavier is in on some form of backup plan, right?

Like I know Chuck has often been depicted as the mutant equivalent of Ben Carson when it comes to anything but sheer telepathic power, but he isn't this stupid. Right? The genocidal robot faction promises not to kill people so long as we leave. And we'll leave through the gates that we literally just saw that they took control of.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but the Mystique thing in particular feels like a terrible give away. Oh no, Mystique is resisting! And then she just so happens to fall out a window. Where her body is promptly claimed by the ocean and no one is looking for her.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Thinking about it, why though? What are they even doing with their lives? The universe is literally bigger beyond even their imaginings, why don't they just gently caress off and explore it? They're immortal cyborg things with access to ftl tech, why do they even care about humans or mutants or Earth at this point, just leave 'em to it and do your own thing until you get bored or hit the heat death of the universe!

Petty fuckin' idiots.

On the other hand, Sins of Sinister does point out the very real horror case of mutant ascendancy.

Sure, maybe you gently caress off to the other end of the galaxy and everything is swell forever. Or maybe you look out your window in a century and a planet sized Exodus is there to ruin your whole day.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rochallor posted:

I think once you let Sinister in you kind of have to keep him around, no matter what you do, even knowing full well that he's got some scheme going on. Who knows what kind of dead man's switch or double secret backup laboratory with 26 extra clones ready to go whenever Sinister Prime's heart stops beating? I think the only reason the council was able to get away with pitting him at the end of SoS was that a) what he had done was so unforgivable and b) they learned in the same beat about two of his contingencies, the Sinister genes and the Moira backups, and that they had ways around them.

And he was fairly emotionally broken.

That said, the sins of sinister is a worst case scenario, sure, but keep in mind that it isn't the only one. We saw glimpses of the 'Gene corsair' timeline where mutants clearly went hog wild.

And even if you don't go full warhammer, a United mutant race with a thousand years of bullshit to their name could very well just end up as sins of sinister but 'benevolent'.

Caros
May 14, 2008

danbanana posted:

Excellent points being made here. I'm concerned about how much power any individual mutant might have, let alone if they band together.

What about some sort of policy where they're registered so we can keep tabs on them?

Hey, I'm not saying we should. I'm just devils advocating the reason why the genocidal robot might not think it is the best idea for the mutants that have shown the capability for turning the galaxy into a hellraiser movie to be left alone.

Mind you the same is also clear of genocidal robots.

What I'm saying is that human-mutant-genocidal robot relations are a land of contrasts.

Caros
May 14, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

So is secret new Captain Krakoa Hydra Cap or am I grasping at straws

My money is on Red skull since evil cap seems a bit too on the nose.

Dude cracked the frizbee with his bare hand tho, so neither seems like the right fit.

Caros
May 14, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think he broke the shield, I took at him twisting Cap's arm (which is what actually broke) while the shield was still on it

The panel before shows cracks at the edge of the shield. Could just be a very weird artistic flourish, but I damages it before he injures cap.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm pretty sure those are sticks growing from the plants on Captain Krakoa's mask. You can see some more up on the green of his helmet and they're not present on the reverse shot.

You we're right. Thanks ptn

Caros
May 14, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Wilson is the what now? Quick non-X question, why is Kingpin always free and up to no good? Wasn't he recently the villain of a big crossover and stuff in the Daredevil area? We gotta cool this guy off once in a while.

Kingpin got married Typoid Mary for Krakoan citizenship. He recently signed on to the hellfire club as part of a long term scheme by Him /Emma.

From the look of things this is less him being up to no good and more him taking advantage of a bad situation for some profit while being useful to our heroes. Probably will backstab later, though he does seem to care about Mary so it might be legit.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Parallax posted:

i fell off the krakoa era in the middle of x of swords. are there any must reads between then and now? i have kept up with some stuff like way of x and x-men red, but it feels like there's been around 50 different series launched and ended since then

i think my main issue with this era has been that they set up this new status quo and rather than digging into the ramifications or exploring what this new world could be like, they just kept pilling more and more big concepts. it's like they've been trying to stuff sixty years of x-men complexity into four years of comics.

Most fo the post x of swords stuff is good. Xmen red is a solid read, the mainline Xmen was okay.

The big selling point for me was immortal Xmen. A series following the various quiet counsel members that led into sins of sinister. Sins is pretty much a solid read throughout.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Iron Man is explicitly an X-Book. It's given in the reading order.

And a fairly good one at that.

I actually put decent money that the Emma/Tony marriage becomes a staple for at least a while. They are doing a fair amount of simmering build up through the line, and while the wedding is obviously going to be a political/financial matter, I'd be shocked if they let the pair at mutual friends.

Then again, I adore Emma as a character, so giving me a comic that is half Emma Frost for the last two issues is always going to win me over.

Also, x-force related, but the scene with Charles continues to drive home my belief that Xavier knew. "Thank you for your assistance" in keeping X-force out of the line of fire, coupled with the disappearing Mystique shortly after Destiny tells him to make sure nothing happens to her? I'll be shocked if he's as gullible as it looks.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Danknificent posted:

On Jean Grey, as a relative X layman who's just come back recently, is this mini just flashbacks/recap or is something going on? Never having read any of the stuff referenced in it made it perfectly enjoyable for me to read, I just want to understand the premise of this mini as I continue it.

My guess is either Phoenix force or psychic bullshit while she's dying as seen in the fall of x book. I'm leaning to the former since the Phoenix shows up in both issues so far.

Basically it looks like she is trying to find 'another way' to fix the present.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nessus posted:

I thought it happened when Dracula no-sells Wolverine's effort to make a cross and tries to chokeslam Kitty, only to burn himself on her Star of David. While I suppose that doesn't make it explicit it seems pretty clear.

Comics are absurd. In a good way, often, but one can't ignore it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

X-ForceLooks like Mikhail thinks Colossus has lost his usefulness. He plans to have Chronicler take command of an Orchis higher up, and I am curious if he will succeed.

While I know it is editorial, I love the fact that Several real world years of teasing collosus being setup for a master stroke ultimately failed because it took too long.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Immortal, Iron man and Vaultkids are the only ones that particularly interest me, and only just.

We're in the Sins of Hickman timeline where somehow one of the top Xmen titles is iron man.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

I like that you skipped over the fact I just called left handed people untrustworthy freaks without provocation. But yeah, I think Apocalypse leaning into the "Revelation" thing is one of those happy coincidences where the original creators (Louise and Walter Simonson) didn't think about that potential but later writers saw it and ran with it. It even fits really well with his "Survival of the Fittest" thing that's the main throughfare of his whole existence as a comic character.

What do you mean 'without provocation'?

Sinister, particularly through the immortal Xmen lineup is one of my personal favorites for new era Xmen. And you would not expect that from a b tier villain who mostly existed to make the summers family miserable.

It was interesting to see the dominion having implied effects. Up to now it had mostly just been sort of an end state. You get there first and you are all powerful, but beyond that, they didn't seem to do much. The fact that they are manipulating orchis/humanity definitely makes it seem more of an actor and a but more... Sinister.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Ok, bit of a weird development in the latest book.

Why the hell would Shadowkat NOT spring Juggernaut and Cyclops after finding them? Just disable the boobytrap with her phasing/ninja abilities, have Cain burst through the wall between their cells, bug out. Not easy, perhaps, but workable.

But instead she unchained Juggernaut for no effect ("Please bust out, um, tomorrow!") , making sure he'd get caught in the next inspection, and even if he escaped then, they might kill Scott in retaliation. That's neither breaking them out nor going 'lay low, we'll come for you in 3 days, be ready!'.
The worst of both worlds.

On a different topic, while it's nice to have a ton of accumulated books to binge, I feel a bit bad for not having been there to read the whole krakoa age from the start. I can only imagine how the fandom reacted.

Best guess on Scott is that the trap on him probably can't be disabled by her powers. I'd guess something like a heartbeat sensor/geolocator/whatever dumb future tech. Take it out, it goes off. Move him, it goes off. Decent chance that if she phases it to try and get it out of him, it ends up immediately triggering.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Nah they did end up telling everyone, there was a page at the start of the Hellfire Gala showing a bunch of humans being real tilted about it. A woman was like "what if my Phoenix Foundation-resurrected daughter turns evil" and Emma was like "yeah idk"

It hasn't factored into anything since then, and was frankly kind of a weird side plot. To be absolutely frank I think the whole "we're gonna tell people about SoS" thing was just Gillen padding some time until Fall of X -- albeit with some great writing -- instead of something they intended to have major ramifications.

Tbf, I can't see that even moving the needle on the chaos that is the average marvel citizen's daily existence.

A celestial murdered most of them in apocalyptic hellfire less than half a year ago. Mr sinister made a hell dimension that got reset? Guys I have to work tomorrow can we not?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

He probably regularly appears on The Five and Hannity because he's one of the good ones

This made me imagine a perpetually breathless Rachel Maddow waving at the screen repeating 'His name is Mr. Sinister! Is this how far we have fallen as a country?'

I laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

which just led me to imagine Taylor Swift throwing lyrical shade at Dazzler

I don't like them putting terrigen mist in the water that turn the friggin frogs inhuman!