Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
After reading issues here and there I decided to sit down and finally read the Krakoa era from the beginning (well, the parts I want to, which is mainly Hickman X-Men and New Mutants + major events). I just finished all of X of Swords and I thought it was a super fun, blockbuster X-story. I remember hearing lots of people didn’t like it at the time, and I’m sure the 500+ page epic reads better when you can sit down and enjoy it over a couple days and not 6 months. But it’s got great character moments, pretty amazing art all the way through. I thought it was cool that it focused on some less central characters of the X-Universe (really, Wolverine and Storm are only supporting characters here), and had great twists and turns. I had a really good time reading it! X of Swords good!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah the “Swords” ended up being a lot less important than originally advertised, which was interesting.
In a weird way I enjoyed that there was this biiiiiig dramatic buildup to a sword battle and then it was more comedic fuckery by an Otherwordly being. Definitely deflating, but it kinda underscored the futility of fighting with what are essentially gods. They’re going to do whatever they want and you don’t have much say in it, life is absurd, just go with it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Sephyr posted:

I binged that and loved it to death. Magik loving up the spelling of 'magic' because she automatically went for her superhero name was hilarious.

My only complaint is that we should have gotten full issues for the dance contest and the fashion show trial.

I just like to think Magik thinks that’s actually how magic is spelled. I love her, but she’s not the brightest

Also a big fan of Doug’s large wife

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
lol

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Gologle posted:

Names being on the nose in comic books loving own

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I like the animation style A LOT more than I expected. The frame rate makes it look like the cheap animation of the original, there’s something endearing about that.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah lol it introduced one of the most important/popular aspects of X-Men Lore of the past 25 years

Also, still slowly making my way through Krakoa era (whatever parts NYPL has to check out). Just read Way/Legion of X and it was some of my favorite stuff. I’ve always been eh on Spurrier in the past, but these stories were really well done to me! It’s a little heady, a little meta, a little fantasy/science, big ideas. Light Morrison, I’d even call it. Wish it went on longer!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I remember at the time NYX Felt like a revolutionary, can’t-miss series….and now no one cares about it and it’s basically only now known for being where X-23 made her comic debut. Didn’t it only originally run for like 11 issues, then an abbreviated “Season 2?”

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I think the Krakoa era felt like plenty like X-Men, actually

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

danbanana posted:

Remember when people were arguing HOXPOX made the X-Men mutant supremacists?

Good times.

A lot of people still feel this way apparently lol

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
No you got it, that’s literally what they’re representing with the Crucible.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Indie Rocktopus posted:

The standard X-Men power fantasy that Claremont pioneered is "I wish I was an oppressed minority, but instead of confronting the ugly realities of systemic oppression, I just want to live at hogwarts with my found family of sexually-repressed fetish models."

And they’re the best comics of all time 🫡

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Cyclops
Storm
Nightcrawler
Wolverine
Magik
Sunspot

Realizing this is also just my list of favorite 5 X-Men with Wolverine added lol OH WELL

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Tom Taylor’s comics are very optimistic and maybe trend a little too neoliberal but sometimes it’s nice to read comics where generally nice things happen and characters treat each other well and the art is usually great. So it’s a very specific flavor. I can’t read it constantly, but 2-3 times a new volume of Taylor’s Nightwing hits good.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Having read it all in one chunk, the ending of Immortal Hulk was great and actually made sense and felt great in context

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Sales doesn’t equal quality!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Alaois posted:

bob layton showed up, pitched a bad idea for a series that threw years of comics out the window for basically no reason, wrote it for 5 issues and then bounced leaving louise simonson to clean up the mess. what a legend.

lol

Edit: not just all that but wanted a B-tier DAREDEVIL bad guy to be the new archenemy of the X-Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Mark Russell on an X-book is really exciting!!