Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I love having two giant As on his costume is not enough, so he needs one in his name now, too.

Excalibur hit all the right spots for me. It seems weird that this is the first time that Apocalypse has really cooperated with any of the X-men proper; they've never ever been strange bedfellows, have they? I'm loving all his interactions with the people of Krakoa.

Otherworld brings back some great memories of OG Excalibur stuff so it's lovely to see it again. I do find it odd that nobody consulted the Braddocks about bringing their crazy reality warping brother back to life. We know that Xavier wants to get his hands on as many omega mutants as possible, but still, you'd think that they might institute some counter-measures before resurrecting the guy whose shtick is going crazy and needing to be killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao Corsair you fuckhole

I'm so glad that somebody remembered that Corsair is a giant rear end in a top hat, actually. It's a more interesting version of the character by far.

New Mutants looks gorgeous. Really almost Sienkiewicz-esque in some spots, but in general it's a pretty tonally different style. It's really good.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

OnimaruXLR posted:

This probably isn't the right place to ask, but something has been bothering me ever since I hit a certain checkpoint in my grasp of the Japanese language and have revisited the character formerly known as Revanche...

Kwannon is supposed to be 観音, right? An old fashioned romanization of Kannon? Japanese equivalent of the bodhisattva Guanyin, a.k.a. Kanzeon? It trips me up every time I read it, like if be like if Gambit's last name was spelled "LaBow"

It's just an outdated romanization that got carried over, yeah. You see it in other places too, like the movie 「怪談」 being rendered in English as 'Kwaidan.' Whatever book Claremont pulled it from used the old-fashioned way I'm guessing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Isn't Fallen Angels only a miniseries? I might stick with it if it's only going to be 6 issues or so. I'm not really enthused by it, but if it's 1/3 done anyway...

X-Force just sucks. Even Quentin Quire can't help it. The last page reveal is a really curious choice, too: we've already established that Domino has been captured and partially skinned. Gasp! It's Domino, captured and partially skinned!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Nanny, Orphanmaker, Sinister and now actually cool-Vulcan on a team is such a bizarre and interesting combo that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Greg Land on art? Rosenberg writing again? Both?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Synthbuttrange posted:

fallen angles

So that's what's wrong with the art.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Not-quite-thirty Scott Summers fucks with my brain in uncomfortable ways, and not just because it means I'm getting to be older than him. The amount of stuff the O5 have seen, I feel like they've gotta be pushing 40 at this point at the very least.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gymer posted:

Tempus uses her powers to fast forward the growth of the new body

Didn't really think about it before, but I wonder if Tempus is really technically necessary for the process to work? Without her, would it just take a long time, or would the genetic material spoil or fail to come together?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't know if they're getting reborn from a fetus state. I figured it was basically brainless adult clones that get the appropriate memories plugged into them.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

How Wonderful! posted:

I think Nightcrawler's religious convictions never being taken especially seriously by anybody but Claremont has been a problem with the character for a long time.

There was a really good filler issue of New Mutants where Amara and Otherwise Worst Character Empath have an argument over how Empath can believe in Christianity when Amara's god Hercules literally exists and has his own book occasionally. I remember it handling the situation really deftly.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

How Wonderful! posted:

Me too. I felt like she really got a ton of rich and strange material out of Age of X-Man and wound up writing one of the most moving titles of that year. The Krakoa status quo is already fuller, deeper, and weirder than the skeleton of Age of X-Man and I can't wait to see what she does-- one of my most anticipated books of 2020 (I hope) for sure.

Leah Williams said on twitter I think that she planned on addressing what happens when a trans mutant wants to be resurrected in a body matching the gender they identify as, which is a wonderful way to tie the fantastical elements of Krakoa back into more explicitly real-world elements.

Shame that comics are canceled, huh

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

danbanana posted:

Despite the extremely gross/bad origins of the character

As someone who is pretty darn sick of Wolverine as a character, the extremely gross/bad stuff in the original Millar arc is an extremely small portion of it, and it's a surprisingly fun arc overall.

The Secret Wars stuff was fine, I guess, but not really essential. I only read the Lemire/Sorrentino stuff of the ongoing, but from what I remember from that, the Old Monsters arc is really fun and a bit wacky, and not even Sorrentino's art could get me to plow through Past Lives, which was like the fourth "let's sum up Wolverine's whole life" story in as many years

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

Or did you mean Kate? She aged over the course of Claremont's run, not in anything close to real time, but she was at least college aged by the time he left Excalibur.

Kate's age was pretty ambiguous at that time, to the point where Warren Ellis thought she was significantly older when he had her hook up with Pete Wisdom. If you asked me, I'd say that Kitty was maybe 16? at most when Claremont left.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Dark Phoenix Saga is wonderful, but reading it in sequence really sheds light on why adaptations of it have failed. You can't have a Dark Phoenix saga without a Phoenix saga. Jean has to be Phoenix and not evil/gaslit for some time for it to work. The storyline with the M'Kraan crystal is really just as important an element to the whole story as the Hellfire Club or the fight on the moon, but that's not anywhere in the trade paperback.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The cast is great, I love all the weird magic poo poo adjacent to X-Men, and having Apocalypse on the team is such a wonderful idea, but... yeah. Excalibur is a good book, but less than the sum of its parts.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think X-Men is maybe best described as a stealth anthology book? Yeah, it's very loosely centered on Cyclops, but also he doesn't show up a whole lot and sometimes it's just about Apocalypse's murder revival tent.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Vulcan as he existed was such a miserable character as to be unworkable, so I don't mind a general reset of his personality if we get a viable character out of it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's also probably Land's absolute best comics work. Which isn't saying much, but it could have been worse.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Beast being the absolute worst was a character beat for a long time, to the point where he even betrayed the X-Men during IxV (IIRC, because like hell I'm going to flip back through IxV). Then all that stuff got soft reset at some point. I feel like there was a missed opportunity to bring Beast around to being an outright villain.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Finally it's Tarot's time to shine!

Which led me to looking up Tarot on the Marvel wikia, and of course she's died and come back like four times and each time the wikia's like, "we're not exactly sure how she died or when she got resurrected."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fritzler posted:

I agree. I have no problem with Apocalypse on this island but predators who literally fed on mutant children seem like they shouldn’t be invited (Emplate, Selene). Also Empath, just seems untrustworthy to have along in general, bur they’re at least talking about him in Hellions.

I guess you can kind of give them a pass since they need to feed on human bodies to survive? Same deal with Proteus, although he's always been portrayed as more tragic and screwed up than the others.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm so loving excited about this surely-no-better-than-a-C-plus of a movie. It's gonna suck waiting for it to come out on video so I can put it on and then get distracted halfway through.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rick posted:

Didn’t they try to make Ahab some supporting character from late in the original run of Excalibur who loved mutants and had a crush on Rachel but got injured in an accident or something so now was going to get revenge on all mutants?

It was Roderick Cambell, who found out he's supposed to turn into Ahab in the future and gets freaked out about it, so he takes positions helping mutants so that he never develops any anti-mutant bigotry--but then, what if that's just the thing that sets him on the path to become Ahab? Kinda intriguing but not actually good, IIRC. The name got used in The Gifted in one of the deepest continuity pulls for any TV show I can think of.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Also the art is loving atrocious.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It does feel strange that all of the "cyber-humans as mankind's answer to mutation" stuff basically hasn't come up since HoXPoX. Weren't we supposed to be getting a chimeras book before covid happened?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
So is this one pronounced Swuh-ex-erd or Swuh-ten-erd?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, I just mean technically Maddie is Cable's mom and an alternate reality Scott and Jean are Rachel's parents. They've just cut all that out and gone directly to calling Scott and Jean their parents.

After Inferno, Jean got all of the memories of Madelyne and the Phoenix masquerading as Jean, so she is basically Cable's mother. Not sure how that squares away with Madelyne's appearances since then.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Screw Team America, what about Axe, the guy who's mutant power is that he has an axe?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Codependent Poster posted:

It started with Utopia where he starts making GBS threads on Scott and his methods, like how he recruited Magneto and allowed other former villains to stay with them since Decimation reduced their numbers. He was also mad that Norman Osborn captured him and he wasn't rescued right away. Then he gets worse and worse and more hypocritical, like the time in Secret Avengers where he helps build a bomb that kills a planet or something. So ever since then he's just been this hypocrite since he's been doing terrible poo poo but then always acts like he knows better and isn't doing anything worse than anyone else.

I think it starts back a lot further than that. You get shades of it in the original X-Factor, even; not a total transformation but a move away from the class clown role. He gets real hosed up in the 90s with getting impersonated by Dark Beast and spending a lot of time failing to cure the Legacy Virus, then Morrison takes him in a more mopey direction and after that we get Decimation.

XMTAS Beast is the definitive version for a lot of people, myself included, but it's not really based on anything in the comics. He's not a clown, he's an absent-minded professor type.

I still wish they had had the guts to actually take Beast in an outright villainous direction. I don't remember much of it but I think Inhumans vs X-Men took steps in that direction but then successive writers stepped him back from the brink.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

Another "Brood Saga is better than Dark Phoenix" take haver. I thought I was the only one.

As the climax to 40 issues of Claremont X-Men The Dark Phoenix Saga is phenomenal. In the 7 issue TPB it's usually published as, it's really really good. The Brood Saga doesn't take place in a vacuum, but I think it stands alone a whole lot better than Dark Phoenix, and as 7 issues versus 7 issues Brood Saga definitely takes it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Well, she is living on the moom again.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Daken's had completely contradictory characterization in books coming out in the same month. There were weeks when he'd be sympathetic in the Good Wolverine series and then be found menacing Iceman.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
"Undefinable" is practically meaningless, but the Magneto example seems to make sense. Magneto is Omega-level because no human or mutant has more control over metal than he does. Upper limit, schmupper limit, Tony Stark or Forge can't build an electromagnet that could stop a giant space bullet. It doesn't mean he's inifintely talented, it literally means he's the best there is at what he does, and what he does is, control metal. Nobody is better at...temperature manipulation than Iceman, nobody is better than Exodus at weird poo poo telekinesis.

Quentin and Jean both being Omega mutants directly contradicts the example given in the paragraph directly above it, but I guess they're both exactly as good at telepathy and there's nobody better than either of them?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

How Wonderful! posted:

My big issue was that like-- mutants are just dropping off babies in the jungle and nobody is noticing? Nobody is noticing mutants who are pregnant one day and then just like hey I gotta go to the jungle real quick and come back not pregnant? Nobody but Stacy X has found one of these babies? That seems very strange to me. You'd think Nanny, Sinister, even Sage on a basic logistical level would be interested in knowing who's pregnant, how the pregnancy is going, etc.. Does Stacy X have like, a secret jogging path through the jungle that mutants are just tossing their babies onto? I get what Spurrier is going for but it feels like a huge narrative stretch to make a somewhat thin point.

There are so many things weird about this idea that the timescale doesn't even crack the top five, but... according to the sliding timescale, how long could Krakoa possibly have been around? Like a couple months? A year a most? Are we supposed to understand that the first thing everybody did when they got to the island was do it, then nine months later collectively abandon all the babies?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fritzler posted:

I think it is hard to recommend because of how much build up leading to it. You have everything with Madelyne leading up (which is in both X men and X-Favtor), but also so much stuff involving Magik/New Mutants. Dark Phoenix and DOFP both just deal with things that happened in X-Men and there no other X books at the time. If anyone is reading all of X-Men, I think they will like it, but would not recommend as much as your other two examples. Plus have to read multiple books to get whole story, although that is normal for modern comic fans.

A lot of the other Claremont-era crossovers also benefit from all the buildup that doesn't tend to get included in TPBs, but yeah I think Inferno has a uniquely long on-ramp. The X-Factor issues of Inferno are #35-#40, and Madelyne's story has been unfolding all through that book and then in Uncanny before X-Factor starts. That's even more issues than the Long Phoenix Saga if you start from X-Men #100.

I think part of the modern re-evaluation of Inferno also comes from how common things like the various decisions that led to Madelyne becoming a villain are recognized now. On a meta-textual level, Inferno is pretty clearly a story about what happens when a character's very reason for being is retconned out of existence from the perspective of that character. Madelyne was created after Jean's death as a replacement, and after Jean comes back to life, the character has no reason to exist. And it's done so cruelly, too; the scenes like Madelyne's nightmare where all her features are taken away, leaving her a mannequin, or when she reveals that her earliest memory is her childhood friend getting hit by a car, that being Jean's origin story... Christ, it's no wonder she decided to destroy the world.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The art all across Inferno probably benefited from the fact that this was still an era in which everybody was living and working in New York. You've got seven or eight different artists all doing their own cheeky, affectionate sendups of a city they're infinitely familiar with. I doubt it would work half as well doing the same sort of thing today.

Are there any Marvel comics coming out that still have a solid basis in New York, actually? The two I suspect might are Spider-Man and FF, and I'm not reading either of those.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm not really sure if any of the main X-Book artists were living in NYC at the time of the crossover? Even in the 1960s "Bullpen" era that wasn't strictly true, and by the late 1980s people were living all over the place.

Huh, that's interesting. All the bullpen stuff was pretty effective marketing as I bought it hook, line, and sinker. I would have figured that most creatives would have to be in NYC until the mid-90s or so, if for no other reason than mailing scripts and art back and forth would make deadlines even tighter.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
That's how it always is, isn't it? Operate at a loss using investor money, get big and attract more investors, lather rinse repeat. Some services might manage to transition into something self-sustaining, but if you don't, hey at least you got a fat paycheck before the bubble burst.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Aphrodite posted:

So I'm not super familiar with this platform, why are they choosing it over something like Patreon and why now?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/09/business/media/substack-comic-books.html

It's a special deal between substack and the comics writers coming aboard, I assume for all of them? Substack pays them a stipend for the first year in exchange for the subscriber money, then the creators get the standard percentage of subscriber money after that. Given the number of people hopping on board, I assume it's a good chunk of change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
At long last, the new ongoing series, Old Man Mondo!