Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I never much cared for the Otherworld stuff and I too agree it was the lowest point of Uncanny X-Force, yet I'm in for more issues of this Excalibur run. The art is gorgeous and I'm liking this characterization of both Betsy and -=A=-.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, we doing this? My first X-Men comic, also from someone who was super into the 90's TV show, turned out to be Uncanny #276 and, boy, was I super confused.

The X-Men are in space with a ton of weird alien people, everything is super wordy (my first experience to Claremont's writing) Wolverine kills Xavier out of nowhere, the latter who turns out to walk just fine, and then at the end Psylocke (not part of the cartoon lineup) captures Jubilee and Logan and feeds them naked into some weird rear end web tree with other naked people hanging around (my first experience to Claremont's writing). I also had no idea who the hell the bigass shapeshiftting Skrulls were meant to be.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Who are the baldies? Darwin?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Excalibur continues to have the most amazing art. It's heavenly to look at. I can't tell if I like the story it's telling, though. Five issues in and it's... serviceable?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dang, that ending to Marauders was something alright. Totally want to see where it goes next.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dude had a drug problem and got a very bad trip, then came back clean. I wouldn't want to go back if I were him either.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I dropped X-Force because it looked more of the same grimdark crap that Fallen Angels similarly pulled. Yet, I don't see you guys speaking of X-Force in the same tone as Fallen Angels. Should I go back and check it out?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Finally caught up with the FF crossover. In spite of Reed loving up everything as usual, he does make a great point on why Xavier is in such a rush: if Krakoa would be an actual nation, it would still be there in a few years from now. The Dodsons' art is kind of a hit and miss: some gorgeous pieces, then some really undetailed, barely sketched outlines (the one panel with Cyclops was disturbing).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

danbanana posted:

There have been a few hints about Kate over the years. Either they're playing into that hard now or about to canonically confirm it.

Actually curious about this one. Which specific hints would you say?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sign me up immediately

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Who's the devil dude hanging out with Sinister, top right?

And who's leaving the party with Christian Frost?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

galagazombie posted:

To be fair, everything about the teen X-men plot was stupid and bad. I'm just glad they're finally gone.

:emptyquote:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, Scott certainly wasn't right in Wolverine #2, letting Logan go fix the pollen traffic matter alone and get mind controlled again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Should have been a New Mutants issue.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I mean, comics can be made remotely just fine. If anything's not going to survive, it's comic shops. Comics can be distributed fine digitally, but any dedicated store that managed to last to the current decade in spite of the tiny margins and all the poo poo Diamond pulled over the years is now going under very soon.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Horny... how?

I can't tell if this is a serious post. If it is, you don't even have to read his entire run or anything to check it out. And no, you don't even have to look into when he got worse with X-Treme X-Men literally having tentacle hentai in a bath tub.

Uncanny X-Men #189 is enough to see all the Claremont trademarks: bondage gear, mind control, french maids, strong women fighting half naked, and more! It's all there in one issue. It's like a best of album, if I ever saw one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And here I thought I had seen peak Claremont already.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sounds more like a plot point that got dropped fast. I don't know if anyone ever bothered to compile a list of those, but I imagine there's several like those even before the final years of his run. I recall one specifically before the Jim Lee takeover of some bullshit with Super Skrulls taking over the Shiar empire except they weren't really Super Skrulls and thus were supposedly quite mysterious and oh, whoops that's all the time we got, see you next issue.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's been months since the last issue so I can't even recall exactly how it reached this point, but Excalibur read entirely like a feverish dream. There's a living Kate, a flying ship, Britain going to war vs Krakoa, but it's all a split reality to create more Captain Britains, and what even the gently caress and do I even care anymore? I swear, it's been 10 issues and the only thing I can tell about Excalibur is that the art is pretty.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

DoX X-Force was kind of dumb (and honestly, it's always been so and doesn't seem like it will improve any time at all and why am I still reading this). Oh look big threat, we can't fight it, things are so desperate, oops nevermind Jean just deus ex machina'd it away. No one's going to put Hank on trial like Sabertooth either, which of course is totally logical. Oh, and Sage dressed like she was going on a safari tour, ha ha, so random.

Yet, somehow, Jean's decision at the end was not that half-assed or even unexpected. Of all the things to complain about this issue, I can't imagine this would be one of them. She's never been a stealth operative dealing with mountains of corpses. Logan and Domino? Sure, tons of times. Jean? It was as ill-fitting as her current outfit for a covert-ops team.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What's this Empyre X-Men thing? I saw something titled Empyre in the new releases listed today. Is it a new cross-over event? A dumb new cross-over that nobody asked for that will ruin currently running stories?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Pog your pogs, man, pog your pogs.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wow, I am legit pissed off. Spent a while trying to find a copy of that FCBD X-Men issue, because it had a cool cover, so it's got to have some good stuff in there even if it's just a tease for that X Swords stuff.

Look at that, Illyana, Rogue, facing some unknown threat. This has got to be good.

But NOOOOO, there's nothing to do with that cover here. It's about four pages of Saturnyne being cryptic and six pages of tarot cards with designs that look like (or are) upcoming covers. And it's the sort of bad cryptic. Nothing interesting is said, shown, or happens.

Then it's 11 pages of some upcoming Avengers event that starts with Ironman losing a leg like it's a DC comic. What the gently caress has that anything to do with the X-Men?? Bloody hell

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 21, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Alaois posted:

wanda you unoriginal clod, selene already did this like 10 years ago

Haha I completely forgot about this! And so did the X-Men's editors apparently!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

After being burned on Fallen Angels, I'm not entirely sure I want to risk checking out Hellions, but maybe some of you did? With two issues out, how is it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I honestly have no idea what's even going on anymore with the Empyre tie-in. Someone's clearly having fun trying out crazy ideas with the opportunity available, but between "we need all psychics!" (why? they didn't seem to do much other than punch zombies), alien zombie plants, Illyana going SSJ3 Goblin Queen because, and a gigantic brain that mutates into whatever happens in the last page, I have a very hard time following whatever is transpiring. And if the writing is a mess, I don't think the art is helping out either.

But hey, who cares about that when

Dawgstar posted:

Marauders is v. good. :unsmith:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I know we are getting into a sword event, but since when is there a... Cerebro sword? When did that become a thing and, more importantly, a macguffin the villains must steal?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I completely forgot about that. Chekov sword.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Empyre X-Men #4, I'm not following the crossover and most issues of this mini were a very weird jam session of writers having fun, sometimes a bit tooo much (like last issue). I actually rather liked this final one though, between the humor being on point at the start to the ending being rather wholesome. It also sort of answers one problem raised during HoX (can there be two copies of the same person going around)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I don't understand Lorna's costume in X-Factor. Bizarre physics. Mojo World adapting to the age of influencers is a nice touch, yeah.

What's iWolverine about?

And speaking of (a) Wolverine, whatever happened to Laura since the Vault stuff? Or is she still in the Vault after nearly a year?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

New Mutants rules, Glob rules, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Is Anole old enough to be a bartender? Or even be anywhere near a bar?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

When was the last time Beast wasn't written to be a total shitbag? When he was running around in space with his green-haired girlfriend?

Pretty much, actually.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rob Liefeld writing Scout. Yes, this is what we wanted, but I guess we did not deserve it. Oh, 2020, what other evils will you bring us?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

X-Men #12 was... rough. Tons of mumbo jumbo that mean little and will likely not be expanded on properly even in the upcoming crossover. Apocalypse's character being written differently from his on-going series, as if Hickman was more worried about trying to put in all this so-called "lore" instead of keeping things consistent with his other colleagues. This incoming threat of the Amenth that you are not given any reason to care about as the reader... Very rough read, altogether. Instead of holding my suspension of disbelief, I just keep seeing the man behind the curtain having trouble with the projector.

Hellions, on the other hand, makes me think. About the circumstances of Krakoa and its future and what it means to be a person. Madelyne sure isn't considered one by anyone in Krakoa, even though she had a life, a career, a son and a marriage -- but she was "just" a clone. John killing his old corrupted comrades (who are no longer considered persons either), hoping that on their resurrection they will finally get a proper chance at living... This is good writing.

I also liked the Kandra scenes in Excalibur.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

X of Swords: Part 1 of 22.

If this is in any way as much of a mess as X-Men #12 last week was, I don't want anything to do with it.

22 part crossover that all signs point to be garbage. It's like a parody of all those Marvel cross-line events of dubious quality.

Hickman forgets the one fundamental rule to writing: engage the reader somehow.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:lol: X-Factor is more expensive than usual because it's now part of a crossover event. gently caress my life and gently caress Marvel.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

OK, so this was more expensive because it had a bunch of extra pages. And they were all good! This is how you make an event that people will care about. No stupid mumbo-jumbo, no characters acting off, and personal stakes done well. You should be taking notes, Mr Hickman.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Plus Krakoa has been a fairly decent dude for the last decade or so. He was a student at Wolverine's school.

I forgot the details about this. Wasn't that a different Krakoa? A clone or a descendant? Or was it the original? And if it was a different one, what became of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh yeah! She got killed in the lovely Rosenburg run, but did she get brought back? With the whole "no precogs", she may have been put on the bottom depth of whatever queue they got going.