Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

But what happened in the 6th life of this thread?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hm, I wonder why Moira isnt banning time travellers the same way she's doing with precogs.

The act of time travel spawning new universes would be my guess. There's a very real deniability when it comes to whatever a multiverse duplicate of yourself is doing.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Everything about New Mutants is tremendous and fills me with joy.

Everything about X-Force seemed kinda boring, as has pretty much all X-Force runs I've ever bothered to read

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

If Fallen Angels were written by Hickman I’d probably be suspecting the same thing people did with Jean about Laura. What purpose does regressing her like 5 years of her best stories serve?? And why is she drawn even younger looking still?

Anyway New Mutants and Marauders are tied for the greatest, gently caress everything else

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

when you turn on the front camera by accident

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Fallen Angels is incredibly rough, but at the very least it's got equal opportunity rear end shots with Cable?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Alaois posted:

this made me curious so i checked his IMDB, his primary TV writing work is as the "executive story editor" for Titans, which he also wrote 3 episodes of

which makes Fallen Angels make so much more sense now

“gently caress X-Man.”

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

:same:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Roth posted:

I think I have turned around on Benjamin Percy's X-Force all thinks to those pages of Wolverine being cut in half and still fighting

Getting held together being told to heal :allears:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

A one-shot written by X-Plain The X-Men's Jay Edidin, no less!

I've never been a huge Cyclops fan, but seeing Jay get the chance to write his absolute favorite rules a whole lot.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

The fact that it then cuts to one of those HoXPoX infographic pages right after is just perfect.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

So is this week the first instance of incompatible storytelling since HoXPoX started up? Laura's calling herself Wolverine in X-Men #5 and in the vault, even though Fallen Angels #6 is listed after it on the reading order.

Everything's been pretty tightly orchestrated up until that, so I wonder if that's just comics being comics or if Poorly Written Laura is actually deliberate somehow.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I know X-Men #7 is meant to explore the conceit of like, "souls" and details of the resurrection stuff a bit more. I can't think of anything else that's been out of chronological order though, so it'd have to mean there was already a second Laura beforehand. Only thing that makes sense to me is that they made some disposable clones specifically for the vault mission and never told anyone.

e: actually, nevermind, Armor was at the briefing and in New Mutants at the same time too so I guess they're just playing fast and loose as comics do.

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 30, 2020

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

So I was reading the older X-Men Legacy stuff, and in it Rogue got control of her powers, so she could touch people without absorbing their powers, but then by the tim Rogue and Gambit and the Mr. and Mrs. X books came out she'd lost it again. When did that happen?

I think she gets control of it by the end of Rogue and Gambit?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

rantmo posted:

Because of a power dampening bracelet, which she still has.

I could've sworn she could turn it on/off herself because she'd overcome some psychological thing. I know there was something about her being able to absorb at range, too.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

howe_sam posted:

She definitely had a power dampening necklace at the start of Mr. and Mrs. X because she asks Beast to turn it into a tennis bracelet.

Right, I had the series backwards. I had to go look it up because it was confusing me, but by the end of Mr. and Mrs. X she goes through a bit in Mojoverse and realizes that her being afraid was the subconscious blocker that kept her from controlling her powers. She still has the bracelet and can wear it in case of like, panic attacks or anything like that (especially since she can absorb multiple people at once, at range, which makes it very dangerous) but she's still mostly in control on her own which is what you see in Excalibur.

For the original question, apparently she had lost control after she took Wonder Man's powers a while back.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Is that it for new mutants? I noticed it wasn't on the latest release schedule at the back of the issue.

No idea why it's not on the schedule, but maybe it had something to do with #7 being delayed? #8 is still scheduled for next week at least.

My Official X-Book Tier List has firmly placed New Mutants in SS++ tier, though. What a loving great time. :allears:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

loving Emplate is on the island, I don't think Wanda would be too hard of a sell if she was a mutant again.

Killing Wanda and Pietro off and having Magneto demand he get his children back as mutants is just too perfect for them not to do it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Cyclops put a gate on Corsair's ship or something didn't he?

I guess it could just be for him to visit but pretty weird if Corsair can't use it the other way.

I’m pretty sure Scott offered for him to stay when he was visiting, too.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Very disappointed they didn't have Wolverine's claws just be 3 full sized swords hilt and all on each hand.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Now, hear me out.

A sword that’s the totality of one’s telepathic powers.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

The moon’s core? It’s cheese.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

I enjoyed it, though it does seem OOC for Wanda to do something that incredibly stupid. also wonder if it was coordinated with the Avengers tie-in at all

Someone being written wildly stupid to facilitate drama? This would never ever happen in Comic Books(tm).

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Someone being written wildly stupid to facilitate drama? This would never ever happen in Comic Books(tm).

Upon actually viewing the comic I would like to revise my statement to "lol gently caress off Hickman"

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I really wouldn't worry about it. Hickman usually leaves characters better off when he's done. This is just the start for Wanda. By the end of his run, I'm pretty sure she'll have saved everyone's rear end.

I mean I sure hope so because it seems like a pretty big regression from her solo series where she's moving past a lot of this poo poo? So to see her get dragged back down into those weeds sucks. Having Hickman constantly referring to her as a pretender and delegitimatize her sucks. Having Dr. Strange just straight talk down to her sucks. And then having her screw up again and then just like ditch the situation??? Also sucks.

Like maybe it's just me but constantly going back to this well to go "lol this woman had an emotional breakdown 20 years ago and now she can't do anything right" feels skeevy as gently caress. Them conveniently ignoring her working to restore poo poo in AvX is also like. Why?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I'd really just wait. I don't think Hickman is trying to deligitimatize her or anything, and I didn't take it as Dr. Strange talking down to her.

But really, Hickman's MO isn't to ruin characters or anything. And we've already seen hints that Krakoa isn't all that it seems. So I'm pretty sure that sometime down the road, Wanda is going to save all of mutantkind.

Like I said, I really hope that I'm wrong so I'm glad that you're optimistic over it. Even in the best case scenario though, I still think it's lousy to just regress and retread this same lovely ground in service of subverting expectations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Cloks posted:

When I met with Leah for a zoom hangout a few months ago, she showed us this page because my buddy said something that was literally dialogue on it.

Leah is so excited to be doing X-Factor and this issue was so good. Other than Fallen Angels, it's a good time to be an X-Fan.

I swear I've literally said "everyone forgets Rachel's chrono-skimming" before and I loving lit up when I saw that as actual dialogue. X-Factor rules.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Cyclops eating a cheesesteak would make a great av if we were still paying for those. (From Cable #2).

:allears:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I'm curious as to why Nightcrawler was surprised they tried to resurrect Kate exactly 18 times, he definitely knew it was more than once.

18 is significant in Judaism. In Hebrew, the word chai translates to life/alive, and is spelled with two letters that add up to 18 when you assign numbers to their alphabet.

I guess this is more of Kurt exploring other religions?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Really glad to see they doubled down on the shittiest parts of the Scarlet Witch stuff with Empyre again

(I'm not glad, it sucks rear end)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

In happy news, X-Factor continues to be amazing.

I think this is the first time in ever that I've even remotely given a poo poo about the Mojoverse and it's all because it's just Twitch. :allears:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

New Mutants rules, Glob rules, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, guaranteed resurrection is always such a weird plot point. And this will not hold. Sucks to be for the person who happens to be the first one where it doesn't work anymore.
"Oh yeah you totally get your powers back if you let Apocalypse kill you." *dies permanently*
But then again, a permanent death in the marvel universe is like a 2 month break.

Death being a revolving door even before there was a plot device to resolve it is exactly why it ought to stick around.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Gologle posted:

They're already talking about the aftermath of X of Swords? Good grief, let things breathe.

It's part of their new followup event, X had Swords.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Aren't Laura and Gabby also clones........sort of?

I forget Gabby's circumstance, but Laura was a genetic twin and carried to term by her mom and has a lot of her DNA, so she's not really a clone.

Unrelated, but reading X-Men and that poo poo's a loving trip of exposition and me going "uhhh" and "what."

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I was feeling a bit down on this until I started realizing that this is a Shonen tournament arc and now I'm way back in.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Kinda related, but shouldn’t she be able to fly, too? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it happen.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like X-Factor is also glossing up the ability a little to make it stand out. I knew Rachel could project minds through time, including her own, but I don't think I've even heard the term "chrono-skimming" before now.

iirc her power is referred to as chronoskimming in Days of Future Past. I wanna say the psychometry came later as an extension of that power? But I don’t think the psychometry was ever referred to as chronoskimming like it is now in X-Factor.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

nemesis_hub posted:

Can you guys tell me, without going into detail, if part 2 is basically cool and good or not? I won’t be able to pick it up until tomorrow and I’m still wavering on whether or not to go all in.

X-Men #12 and the mini issue #1 were both the extremely boring forms of exposition where barely anything happens and some guys recite some proper nouns you don't give a poo poo about.

X-Factor was the good form of exposition where stuff actually happens. I'd say pick it up and gauge from this one whether or not you're interested in keeping up with the event.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I'm finally caught up with this bullshit after a few weeks off and all I have to say is what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Remember when they were like "mutants cycle through all their costumes like they're normal outfits" and then Jean's worn the same old outfit the entire time