Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rantmo posted:

Early reports indicate that X-Men are good again.

big, if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Meggan is a fae, not a mutant. And this would be a good time to rescue my explanation of how Betsy got her original body back for the third time but someone already basically got it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Goldballs donated $5 and said...

Egg!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

Side note: I really do want the reason Cable is in Fallen Angels to be that he woke up one night, heard what Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean get up to, and slowly backed away all the way into the nearest portal.

"Laura, you don't understand, I just... I had to get out of there. My room is across the building and I still heard everything."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I'll be for X-Force if it turns into Domino's team book.

That's what one of the future solicits has me hopeful that is the direction the book is going in, but having the first issue imply that she's been captured, killed, skinned and had strips of her skin stitched on to the bodies of supersoldiers in order to bypass Krakoa's security web via halo jump is one hell of a first stepping stone to get there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Those were the original Hellions in that panel of New Mutants, right?

And where is Thunderbird?

probably wherever Warpath is, hanging out and catching up after John's been dead for the past *sliding time scale* years

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i wouldn't trust Magik to teleport me to the convenience store without having some kind of horrifying trans-dimensional experience let alone another planet in a far star system

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think I felt the way about Fallen Angels what most people here felt about X-Force.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

There should now be a young Stryfe that's an annoying brother to young Cable and constantly pranking him.

the main villain of Ed Brisson's X-Force featuring Young Cable ended up being Young Stryfe!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i started reading comics last year

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rantmo posted:

Every issue ends with another gruesome death like he was Kenny on South Park.

I would actually be on board with Percy embracing the mutant resurrection thing by giving X-Force a Milligan-era team bodycount but everyone just keeps coming back so it keeps a consistent team lineup.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nice

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

in honor of Chris Claremont's 69th birthday, every X line book that comes out today will have at least 1 panel of Storm getting naked and taking a shower by generating a rain cloud for no real reason.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

Is Psylocke really that big of a character in the world or fandom? She just seems like a Hot Topic Elektra knock off so far in FA

i can guarantee you more people know who Psylocke is than Elektra

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I was reading through an old X thread not too long ago and everyone hated Si Spurrier's X-Force when that started and that ended up being my favorite run of the title. I'm not saying Percy's run is gonna reach that high but I'm not gonna throw it in the trash because I'm not immediately happy with it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The biggest sticking point against Fallen Angels is honestly the art for me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rochallor posted:

X-Force just sucks. Even Quentin Quire can't help it. The last page reveal is a really curious choice, too: we've already established that Domino has been captured and partially skinned. Gasp! It's Domino, captured and partially skinned!

I took the reveal a different way. They established that she'd been captured and had her skin used to bypass Krakoa's defensive net, but not that they were keeping her in a tank (potentially still alive?) and are actively using her to manufacture supersoldiers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

personally i like that the line is a gradient of tones

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roth posted:

Fallen Angels is why men should be stopped from writing boss ladies.

*Gabby fades from existence like Marty McFly*

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Writer said it’s done after six because he has tv/movie stuff.

this made me curious so i checked his IMDB, his primary TV writing work is as the "executive story editor" for Titans, which he also wrote 3 episodes of

which makes Fallen Angels make so much more sense now

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

So much X-books this week. Good heavens.

next wednesday is Christmas so they gotta get all of em on shelves this week and buddy I'm grateful for it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

big fan of the Quiet Council bit about whether or not it's appropriate to call X-Force the mutant CIA with about half the council getting in statements that the CIA is absolutely hosed, I get the feeling Ben Percy felt the same way about that solicit as some people here did :v:

also I was just kidding about the Milligan-esque body count Ben jeez

Alaois fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 18, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if seeing Quentin Quire get decapitated doesn't make you smile i don't know what will tbh

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Looking it up, she throws the name out in Cable & X-Force #11 but only as some sort of ill-conceived "undercover" alias for providing a distraction as a "mutant menace".

I has assumed it was a weird rib on Moondragon's original alias being [DOCTOR] MADAME MACEVIL

I guess it might still be, just one made by Dennis Hopeless, not Ben Percy.

*Ed Brisson, that bit was from this week's New Mutants, not X-Force. :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I'm honestly counting down the days until an author uses the "no one can die" rule for comedy. Team X-treme or X-plosion or X-Sanguinate or whatever random team dies increasingly over the top deaths and gets increasingly ornery and frustrated repeatedly Kamikaze'ing some threat. By the end of the arc it's just full on Looney Tunes with these pissed off mutants getting repeatedly clowned on until they figure out how to win.

I feel like I've said this a few times but it legitimately feels to me like that's the direction Percy is taking X-Force in. Like, this page seems explicitly framed as comedic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

How is everyone digging the various new ongoings? I haven't jumped in yet, I actually just got the trade Dissolution and Rebirth, the Uncanny issues from 1989-1990. Though I read most of them digitally, man that is a nice looking book.

just gathering from the reactions on here, haven't looked anywhere else:

everyone likes Marauders
a lot of people bounced off Excalibur either due to the premise or its pacing
everyone loved Hickman's issues of New Mutants, Ed Brisson's issues have gotten a more lukewarm reception
X-Force is divisive, I really like it so far, others think it's more of the same that we were getting from before the Hickman relaunch
Fallen Angels is trash, nobody likes it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-Force and New Mutants

they're good!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I'm starting to think the reason I don't care for X-Force was I really dug Simone's Domino and I'd rather just see her doing stuff than crammed into an odd team book.

friend, believe me i'm there with you. but also believe me that beggars can't be choosers when it comes to Domino content (Domtent)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rantmo posted:

Leah Williams and David Baldeón are doing an X-Factor book. It's a team who investigate mutant deaths for The Five before the resurrection protocols and I am here for it. Northstar, Eye-boy, Rachel Grey, Prodigy, Polaris, and Daken, "Wolverine’s disaster son" " because the team needed a 'fucky thot enforcer.'"

yeaaaaaaaaaaaah booooooooooooooooooooy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roth posted:

I think I have turned around on Benjamin Percy's X-Force all thinks to those pages of Wolverine being cut in half and still fighting

Josh Casserly's art on X-Force and Ron Reis' art on New Mutants are such amazing compliments to their respective tones and storytelling.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I can't tell if I'm missing an in-joke but the artists' names are Rod Reis and Joshua Cassara if anyone wants to search for examples before checking out the books.

Ron Reis is a former professional wrestler best remembered as THE YET-AY, a mummy who dryhumped Hulk Hogan back in the 1990s, possibly the original fucky thot enforcer for the Dungeon of Doom.

I don't know who Josh Casserly is.

I am also realizing that I know Ron Reis's last name is pronounced "reese" but I've been pronouncing Rod Reis like "rice" for the past decade.

no i just forgot Cassara's last name and grasped at a similar sounding one and even as i was typing that post i was struggling to remember if it was Rod or Ron Reis

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Second jokiest is definitely New Mutants I would say, X-Men probably third.

Fallen Angels has no sense of humor but is, in and of itself, a joke.

i brought it up before in this thread but i never had a realization snap into my mind as quickly as when i learned the writer of Fallen Angels was a writer and executive story editor for the tv show Titans

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fritzler posted:

Colossus and Nightcrawler don't seem to have regular appearances in any book yet. Nightcrawler might in this upcoming Children of the Atom, and Colossus has an upcoming appearance in X-Force (I don't think its permanent but not sure). Jamie Madrox and Banshee I would put in the next highest tier of no appearances yet. I'm actually a little interested to see what Banshee thinks of this whole Moira reveal. I'm also a little surprised Hickman hasn't used Eden Fesi yet. He is a mutant teleporter created by Hickman used in both his Secret Warriors and Avengers runs.

Colossus was announced as being part of the "team" for X-Force when the first wave of series was announced and was in the first issue but hasn't been seen since, because he was so messed up physically after what he went through getting mutants out of Russia, presumably.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Parallax posted:

ok after having read Marauders has there been a single instance within the new status quo that a writer has used death in an interesting way

quentin quire getting decapitated is very interesting to me, at least

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sure lets put Hank McCoy in charge of our deniable ops team what could go wr-OH NO

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I've made the comparison a few times in the past but the current X-Force really gives me the same vibes as Si Spurrier's X-Force and I mean that in the most positive sense it can be interpreted, because Si Spurrier's X-Force is my favorite run of the series.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh poo poo that was real? I swear I remembered reading this forever ago but I’ve never been able to find it again. I... forgot :negative:

his name is ForgetMeNot (sic)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

x-force is a very serious comic book

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Fallen Angels was of course wretched but I wonder if I'm the only person who also strongly dislikes the non-Hickman months of New Mutants. It started off fine but it feels mean-spirited in a way that none of the other books do except perhaps X-Force which works as pitch-black comedy.

I felt the same way about the first few issues of Ed Brisson's X-Force from last year but that series managed to recover itself and ended up one of the highlights of the immediately pre-Hickman reboot X-line for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nobody has any thoughts on Wolverine #1. I haven’t gotten around to reading it yet.

how do you feel about My Boy Omega Red