Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How is everyone digging the various new ongoings? I haven't jumped in yet, I actually just got the trade Dissolution and Rebirth, the Uncanny issues from 1989-1990. Though I read most of them digitally, man that is a nice looking book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool, good to know. I'll end up checking most of them out I think, especially cool to see stuff like New Mutants getting followed up on with that retro presentation. I'm just getting into that series for the first time myself, since I've expanded the scope of my vintage X-reading beyond the main book.

I'm curious how the Psylocke/Betsy stuff will settle down the line, especially if neither of their books happen to be catching on. Also one bit of scrutiny I had was seeing Vulcan as this chill badboy who's on the team in the covers etc. I can dig reformed villains, but that's a character who just seems better off dead (like that classic John Cusack movie).

Still, even if they don't all stick, it's great to see this enthusiasm for the X-line again.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Vulcan (and the soft confirmation of Scott, Logan, Jean, and potentially Emma being poly) was the best part of X-Men #1.

I'll be damned. If I have to guess, is Vulcan like the Vegeta of the book? A google tells me his villain cheese is played for laughs maybe, okay I'll keep an open mind.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, good ol Claremont. I'm around issue 150 at the moment.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gambit for every occasion, mon ami. Nobody can say Gambit isn't cool. Well they could, but it's not appropriate, chere.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Edge & Christian posted:

If you mean the Iron Cross necklace he's wearing the Marvel/DC pages, it is/was a biker thing, as well as a necklace that Lemmy from Motorhead (a pretty obvious inspiration for the Bisley version of Lobo) also wore. It's in a whole lot of images of Lobo from the early 1990s.

I'd just like to say, Lemmy is the greatest ever. And Lobo is pretty cool. X-Men is also good.

On the using war chic from the bad guy's side when you're a peace loving liberal, a'la Lemmy, oddly enough that's come up a couple times in recent memory around here. At least I've defended Lemmy on it once some months ago. I just think, it's ok to use shocking or nutty imagery, when you know it's coming from a good place. Lobo can have an iron cross necklace in my book, not that anybody asked me, but if I get a WB board member thing, I'm gonna say hey let's do it. And let's have a Red Baron pizza.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's a positive thought. Bikers seem pretty heinous and scary at times, I saw that Hunter S Thompson doc Gonzo that touched on the topic. My post was more talking about Lemmy's stuff. He's said stuff like the bad guys had better clothes etc. And just where the artists/writers are coming from with their irreverent doodles etc.

Personally, I'm more offended by that Percy writer having Wolverine pee in Magneto's helmet. That's just wrong on every level. Plus it's just not funny, it's American Pie 5 straight to DVD humor. Anyhoo, X-Men is good stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Which issue has the fashion show and/or dance off mentioned? I gotta make note not to miss that!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, thanks, theater of the mind as they say. Judge Dredd often did a lot with 6 pages, and hey, let's not forget what Jim Davis has done with three panels. The famous pipe strip for example. But I digress.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Saoshyant posted:

Alright, funny man, I'll help you:

It's X-Force #014 (2020). Is the rest of the issue worth reading? Yeah. Go buy it.

Nice, that's some mighty fine storytelling right there. I had a mousepad a'la that upper right panel one time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd say it's branding/corporate related reasons. I don't feel there's a great artistic reason for Kwannon to go by Psylocke, have the outfit, fill the role of serious assassin team member etc. They just don't want to waste even an ounce of recognition, so it comes across that these two are interchangeable people in the role. Kwannon could die again and we'll get another blue leotard assassin woman, and they can keep selling lunchboxes (I do love a good X-Men lunchbox).

It would be cooler if Betsy was still just called Psylocke, even with the different look and lot in life. Like before in the 80s etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 6, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is a drat fine solution. She didn't even realize she was living two lives in the 80s because Charles blocked it out to protect her, or something. And/or we go Mamoru Oshii mind merge or something, we've got options.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Skwirl posted:

There's two Spider-Mans, two Wolverines, two Hawkeyes, two Wasps, two Psylockes is fine.

It's artistically weak and money minded is all. Plus being poorly written doesn't help, in Kwannon's case.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus, Savage Dragon did have an Obama cover before that. And that Larsen guy drew Spider-Man in the 90s coincidentally.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

doctor nemesis does have augmented eyes with some of the same functionality as peeper (i had to look him up), but that's not his mutant power. in theory he could give anyone similar eyes.

Bionic eyes trivia, Judge Dredd also has those (speaking of Al Ewing), that he got in a story back in the 80s. Doesn't come up much. Al Ewing might have bionic eyes too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Always good to read some X-thoughts in here. Good to know that info, myself I just tended to go with the writer's intention that it was Jean, not the retcon. And just not worry about the details of the cleanup, but cool to know for in case it gets referenced etc.

I love some good continuity, it is just also nice that something that didn't work can be quietly forgotten or un-retconed etc.

For example, since nobody likes Deadly Genesis, I like the idea of that being quietly retconned. Then stuff references it sometimes I think, I forget, can't win em all.

I'm just after the Brood saga in the Claremont run. Great great stuff. I feel his run gets better and better, at least so far.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Keep mixing up the costume closet I say, for sure. The Marvel Girl outfit is a bit more retro than I dig, give it more belts and some laser etched lines. Call me crazy. Maybe a Gambit style "tube belt" etc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Marrow for me, for one she was in MvC. I just like any rad 90s character getting a second chance. Plus I like that kind of wild hodgepodge of cool ideas feel the team often has. Marrow is on the edge, raw, untamed, we're talking about somebody who's about to "get bizzay". I'm probably not making my case here, just envision her visage graffiti'd onto a Pizza Hut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Z_QQy4XB8

(Alice in Chains featured in Street Fighter II is the vibe I'm campaigning for here. "Them Bones" apropos.)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 27, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A fan minutia moment, I googled and see that page is from X-Factor's part of the Phalanx Covenant, Life Signs. In my time burning ways I curated myself a reading order of 90s X-Men books, skipping a lot of stuff, and opted to skip Life Signs. Just to make my load three issues lighter. And I miss a glorious Forge moment. Thus is the lot of the comic reader, too many to read, but you kinda want to read them all. But it's just not possible. Plus I'd probably get bored of the less good stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hopefully they'll use a bunch of these characters more anyway. Since it sounds like the writers want to use them, win/win.

Since we were just talking about costumes, cool to hear Jean and Scott have later 80s X-Factor (I gather) costumes now. Looking good! I have the X-Tinction Agenda book with those looks, but haven't gotten there yet.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gaz-L posted:

On a lighter note, I am down with the Summers-Grey open relationship thing. I mean, jesus, Zdarsky and the Dodsons all but had Scott call Emma 'mistress' on panel.

I was probably gonna skip that FF mini, but that does sound great. Adventureman is cool, speaking of the Dodsons.

I still have that House/Powers of X tpb on my stack, but I like reading the takes and soaking in the hype. I've gotta finish reading the Claremont run first you see. Then my idea is I'll jump to the current stuff, then dip back in to some 90s and 2000s choice stuff etc.

I think your take is what sounded like the vibe, the premise being scary and culty a bit etc. I do like X-Men being part of humanity. I also like relationship stuff, the meat and potatoes of classic comics and current TV etc. Which sounds like Hickman really has on the back-burner, not showing much, speaking of Scott and Jean. So those are things I'd probably take more of.

But, I also find this premise very intriguing and cool, I was really excited when I heard about it. And with Reign of X bringing in more classic superhero vibes apparently, sounds like it's all part of the arc.

That said, when they do end up in a more normal status quo some day, let's hope the new writers and showrunner keep what sounds like a cool level of quality.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

(incoming rant about Marvel's crossover tactics)

The six series I currently collect are X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, S.W.O.R.D., and Way of X. Plus some of the side stuff like Legends, Giant Size, Planet Size, etc.

They don't make it easy at Marvel and DC. X-Men is the area that has seemed most well done at Marvel to me since Dawn of X, but they still do their same ol' annoying greedy stuff. We just had X of Swords, with it's crazy include every comic gigantic reading order. Why do we have another one so soon? I mean, I'm already following 6 freakin' titles, plus the spin-offs. What in god's name do they want from us?

Back in the day they would tell a crossover across maybe 3 or 4 books. What is this madness that they need to hit every single book in a line? And do it again and again? They're just gonna burn readers, or shoo away semi-hardcore readers who read half the line. They've already lost any reader who doesn't want to look at a graph and a couple wikis and articles every few months. Creatively it doesn't seem like it's a great thing either. Books have their own stories, and they get sidetracked to do some vague thing that doesn't really need to be done across every book.

With Dawn of X it seemed creatively finally they're putting X-Men in a better place. Handling it a little more artistically, a little more story focused with a vision. But it's surrounded with the same ol' strategic marketing crap that has made Marvel largely unreadable for the better part of the past decade or two. When Gillen and Aaron's runs got interrupted for Fear Itself and AvX etc, it felt pretty lame for the story 10 years ago. That looked like a freakin' cakewalk compared to the bullshit they're pulling right now. Back then the event was AvX for example, it had it's own mini-series mainly, and the top two X-Men books had tie-ins that were sometimes mildly worthwhile. But you could ignore a lot of it.

Now they're specifically mapping out with a graph that they want you to hit on every single issue of the line, and that is more issues than ever. It's madness, it's a horror show. At least the graph in the Mutant Massacre TPB is quaint and involves only a few titles. Please just have some restraint, or at least some integrity, you goddamn asshats Marvel. Marvel is never going to learn, and it is appalling.

While the old way of having a limited series be the main thing in the crossover still resulted in annoying tie-ins across the line, what we have now is even worse. Since then you knew the mini-series was the most important part, and tie-ins in titles that you didn't want to buy you could get away with skipping. Now you need a bunch of research to see if the thing is comprehensible if you skip some, and which you can skip.

(/end rant)

Which brings me to the non-ramble part of my post here. And I know Hellions and Cable etc are fan favs here, I respect that. Just either way, there's gotta be a limit on how many X-Men titles a reader is expected to check out. Uh oh I'm rambling again.

So, I already have been collecting X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, S.W.O.R.D., and Way of X. 6 monthly books, plus Planet Size. I could add say 2 more to that list for reading the Hellfire Gala if I have to. But only if it's really needed for say key Cyclops and Jean moments, and overall important story continuity for the titles I follow. Could you X-fans concoct an abridged Gala read-order out of this? I know the red ones are supposed to be more important.

With those 7 titles covered, I'd be missing Ch 2: X-Force, Ch 3: Hellions, Ch 6: Children of the Atom, Ch 9: X-Corp, Ch 10: Wolverine, Ch 13: X-Factor, and Ch 14: Cable.

Assuming that read-order pic is still accurate. My head is already exploding by the way, Fist of the North Star style. Also I took a peak at the preview of Cable #11, and I get the feeling it's more a wrap-up to a series I'm not reading than a wrap-up to the Hellfire Gala. Anyways, I'm appalled by this. There are rules, and X of Swords, much like jury duty, means we should be free for a while. For jury duty it's 3 years in my area, you are free for three years. Why are we not free for 3 years after our last giant thing with a graph covering every title. Oh I'm rambling again.

(rant resumes here)

How about that all-new Trial of Magneto series, you've gotta be joking. Here's an idea, Magneto being on trial can be covered in the X-Men book, like it has been before, among other plots. You can cover several things in one issue or series by being less ridiculously decompressed and exposition-y. And it doesn't feel like there's a vision when characters and writers are interchangeable and it's all passed around like this. I'm gonna say it, I don't believe in the artistic vision of this corporate entity right now. House of X was just going on two years ago. Look at the trail of destruction and chaos they've left as a read-order. An indie book just has Title #1-24, TPB #1-4, pretty appealing. I'd even accept a happy medium, say 4 X-books a month or something. 5 on special occasions.

Inferno #1... ok, sure. Why? Can't Hickman just tell any X-story he wants under one banner? Why the gimmickry and musical chairs? That silly #1 bump they demand every 2 years at the longest, it is just so nutty.

Don't get me started on X-Men having a new #1 again. I'm gonna faint. How about Duggan tells any X-story he wants in his book. Hickman tells any X-story he wants in his book. They both last 100 issues, and only crossover when really inspired to, maybe once or twice a year. And the other titles sink or swim on their own merit, very occasional crossovers. Just make some stuff that seems friendly to read, and not a corporate nightmare. I'm posting this here since if I sent it to Marvel they'd have me assassinated, I'm a whistleblower.

One more complaint for the road. The new X-Men #1 team has Rogue but not Gambit? It's like these are a bunch of action figures they throw around in the office. And the preview is a bunch of generic action naturally. Relationships, characters, stuff like that, could be good too.

(/end rants - send Sentinels)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 2, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Edge & Christian posted:

Those charts are literally "here's what is coming out by week and if you're reading multiple books from the same week, read Planet-Sized X-Men before you read New Mutants if you don't want to be spoiled re: the Mars reveal. You can (and I did!) skip Wolverine, Excalibur, Children of the Atom, and X-Corp and read SWORD #6 and feel like you're not missing anything significant.

Cool, good to know. Though I also intend to skip X-Factor and X-Force etc, and I read Excalibur myself.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, the problem is you're asking to have your cake and eat it. You want a unified story and direction for a line, but not for that direction to actually impact any story outside of that book's own borders, which... doesn't work.

That's the thing about perspectives, what you're saying doesn't gel with what I'm saying. I don't think having 14 titles crossover in some way fairly often is the best way to tell stories in the X-Men line. I also don't think there need to be 14 titles in a month for a line in general. If they want a George R R Martin style narrative with 12 different team perspectives that intersect a lot, that's one thing, ambitious if unappealing to me. Written by a dozen writers that often don't last two years, and choices that feel arbitrary, it's just not appealing to me. I mentioned a lot of problems to me, and some Nutty fan-booking that would appeal to me. I would love a handful of books that go 100 issues, would be easier to follow, and I think stronger artistically. And keep Rogue and Gambit on the team, you maniacs Marvel.

How Wonderful! posted:

The idea is that if you just want the broad strokes of the story you can buy the ones highlighted in red. Of course Marvel wants you to buy 14 comic books that say "Hellfire Gala" on the front instead of four. They're a business. Which is why they bother to tell you about all 14 issues. But they're also not insane and would rather you buy four than zero, hence the highlighting in red. I promise you that the sky is not going to fall if you take a deep breath and skip Children of the Atom or whatever if you're not enjoying it.

Not saying the sky is falling, just rambling about why I don't like corporate comics so much in the grand scheme of things. It's gimmick after gimmick, event after event, marketing kookiness, and not a lot of letting the quality of the work spread via word of mouth. Compare it to Saga or The Walking Dead, or Judge Dredd, or 80s X-Men. It's just not a great way to do things for me personally, and I think my complaints there aren't really new. You folks happen to be fans of their current way of doing it, which is cool, but I think it's also cool to find it baffling and not be a fan of it.

I shouldn't have to be getting "the broad strokes" of a story every few months or whatever when following close to 200 comics in 2 years. Just to say, the camel's back is getting fatigued here, I just find their way of doing things exhausting.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 2, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sure I read other comics. I've pointed out plenty of differences, I don't personally agree that it's been so similar for 30 years, or that my points are dismissed. But I did mention I've had decades of complaints, yes, and I often do stop following the current X-line.

And it's good to know following that is inessential. Since it ended up being the "end" of Hickman's first X-title, I didn't know what I'd be missing with my selection.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I do prefer the way the line was handled back in the day like that, and smaller scale crossovers in general. Like in the number of series involved, and the time between these happening. Stuff like say Extinction Agenda that does three issues of three series, that just flows better than the recent way I think. Plus even that may have flowed even better if it was just across two series, less varying in style and tone for the one story. I just like that better than something going one issue in thirteen series, or the X of Swords style for example. Plus, people have pull lists subscribing several months in advance, it's nice to know it'll be covered in a few main books. You're not gonna have every title on your list most likely. I like TFAW's service so much it's just a well oiled machine, I often go months without even looking at what got ordered for me. But these details and whatnot, it's just my yelling at Marvel clouds ramble moment there. Every fan gets one. Only posted mainly positive X-stuff for two years, gotta let Marvel have it once in a while so I don't go crazy.

Going back some pages, it is harsh that they cancelled X-Factor on Leah while writing issue 9. Oddly enough now I want to give the new Trial of Magneto a chance, even though it sounded a bit like an editorially mandated generic-y kind of thing to me upfront. Kind of like when editorial made "The Magneto War" happen and writers weren't interested etc. Not to say it is for sure, just if cancelling her previous book was a surprise, it's hard to imagine doing this Trial series wasn't also a surprise possibly. So I'll give that a shot since the writer seems cool.

I'm just more impressed when say they juggle two or three cool stories across the issues. So the trial of Magneto might be the A or B plot in various issues of the main X-Men book, and would be resolved in say six months, while other cool stuff happens with other character stories. Almost like a writer's room on TV, or a comic writing team like Wagner and Grant, for me it would've ruled to have Leah write Magneto's trial in the main X-book, alongside a B-plot written by Duggan. More bang for your buck. Lots of comics have included a big deal trial in their story among other plots successfully, and with less money spent to read it. I find it cool when key things like this trial are part of the main book without pomp and circumstance. People would just know the book is loaded with good content and is must read month to month, just the title X-Men on a cover.

I'm just skeptical of a lot of aspects of how they do things, especially as a business vs artistic merit thing, and how much it costs, though still interested overall. But I'm concluded complaining, really would just like to armchair edit the line. And it will have 400% more Gambit.

And Beast is gonna be redeemed because everybody else is doing 80s/90s nostalgia, I'm just not into the meme level blundering amoral Beast over recent decades. And we're gonna bring back the Tri-Sentinal from Spider-Man. And 500% more bedroom scenes, 600% more soap opera (prime time soap a la BH90210, nothing low quality). 900% more "you unspeakable cur!" from Charles and cool lines like that. Nobody has a surprise brother ever again. Wait, that contradicts my soap imperative, ok maybe a couple surprise siblings, but not often. We get Simon Bisley to do art on one of these minis, Boo Cook too. Get Ottley in here obviously. Just some ideas to throw into the thread universe continuum.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Get Jessica Fletcher on that case. Magneto is great, best wishes to that guy. Coincidentally I listened to two podcasts talking about the original Secret Wars, apparently Magneto is pretty funny in that. Jim Shooter folks.

danbanana thanks by the way for that abridged Onslaught reading order, mentioned some pages back. You better believe I copy and pasted that, gonna save me some time (if I ever get there on my read - I totally will).

I'll probably skip around a bit once I finish the classic Claremont run.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Skwirl posted:

Like if Sabretooth was killed shortly after he killed all those humans and resurrected with no memory of it, would he still be in the hole?

Always a fun question. Was handled really well in Savage Dragon on Trial.

I'd say you're responsible for stuff you don't remember, at least legally. But this brings up another great trope, somebody evil getting amnesia and starting a new life as a good person. Which is also handled really well in Savage Dragon. Following the Emperor Kurr arc. So if you turn a new leaf and are a new person, I'm rooting for you, even though there's nobody else who can do your jail time for you.

Mulva posted:

Man she deserves better than that loser. She's had a rough time of it in the past.....50 years.

We don't all love Magneto? He seems pretty cool.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 16, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Is there a good place for a summary on what you're talking about re: Savage Dragon? I've never read it.

Sure, let's see, here's some stuff. The pitch for this arc from comicvine's SD #184 page:

"THE TRIAL OF SAVAGE DRAGON"

When he was Emperor Kurr, Savage Dragon came close to destroying the world. Now his past deeds come back to haunt him as the Savage Dragon is brought up on charges. This is the one battle he may not win. Savage Dragon is on trial and things may never be the same! Comes with our highest possible recommendation!"

In a nutshell, Dragon's secret origin which we find out about 15 to 20 years into the series is he was this Kurr guy, a space tyrant. Savage Dragon's first issue (the mini-series or first TPB) opens with Dragon in a burning field with no memory. The trial takes place in 2013, since the book is set in real time, so he's been a hero for 20 years at this point. Then in the Kurr story arc his old personality and memories return, and he tries to conquer Earth. In the end he's good ol' Dragon again, and the Kurr personality/memories are gone (a lot of stuff happens), and he goes on trial.

If you'd like to dig some detailed summaries, the Savage Dragon wiki has ones for each issue. Here's the first one of the trial arc, issue 184. If you're curious about the previous Emperor Kurr arc and other stuff, those issues are on there too. And pages for Emperor Kurr and Dragon the characters, etc. Also I'll link to the summary of issue 0, that's where we first learn about the Kurr stuff and Dragon's origin. I don't think there's story arc summaries, so you'd wanna flip through some stuff if just curious about that part.

https://wiki.savagedragon.com/comics/Savage_Dragon_Vol2_000/

https://wiki.savagedragon.com/comics/Savage_Dragon_Vol2_184/
https://wiki.savagedragon.com/comics/Savage_Dragon_Vol2_185/

Those are the first two issues with the Trial stuff, and his legal stuff continues for several issues along other stuff. The earlier Kurr stuff happens during the Dragon War and Emperor Kurr arcs, summed up quickly a bit in the Emperor Kurr wiki page.

https://wiki.savagedragon.com/profiles/characters/Emperor_Kurr/

And I recommend those arcs, and Savage Dragon in general, to anybody interested. Incredible stuff over the years. Was especially on fire around that time. I think the books do it more justice than the summaries, but I can dig being interested in stuff I may not get around to reading etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 16, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Saoshyant posted:

This week has also Peter David's return to his original X-Factor run, which I will be checking later today.

Very cool! I see it's got art by Todd Nauck, I dug his work in Invincible spin-off Guardiang the Globe. Did you folks dig the Simonson Legends issue? And I wonder when we'll see what Claremont's issue is of that. Gotta keep Chris in the mix.

I like how over at IDW, Larry Hama just has a blank check to write GI Joe comics until the end of time. As baffling and kooky as they may be to me personally, it's just nice to know he has that luxury, he earned it. Chris Claremont, we love Chris here, so they gotta let him loose with more canvas to paint his magic ideas on. I can dig he's kind of retired, and he's on sort of a Marvel legend retirement plan type of thing, but he's still got it I say. Just based on how cool and funny he is in interviews and podcasts, this man is still a genius I say.

I want Chris Claremont's Gambit ongoing series. Chris Claremont presents... Chris Claremont's Gambit. In... Gambit... the new series from Chris Claremont. Featuring Hideo Kojima.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 22, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Coincidentally, 168 is around where I'm at in the ol' Claremont run, I often put it on the shelf for a bit. Plus this is around where New Mutants starts in the run, and stuff like that. I look forward to taking in this wild part of the saga. I've heard Chris on a few podcasts talking about the Jean stuff, X-Factor, and things not going how he wanted etc.

I just know "Cyclops was right" as the ol' t-shirts used to say, in every context, I don't blame him for anything. I'll blame editors, I'll blame the fates, but Scott "Slim" Summers is the greatest man who ever lived.

Ditto when I see people always saying Xavier is a maniac or evil or something etc etc. I feel like comics would be boring if our heroes weren't doing questionable wacky poo poo. What do we want, a bunch of goodie two shoes doing sensible stuff? Plus in comics, where the runs have often had poor writing and worse editorial direction, it seems just cruel to throw these characters worst moments back in their face. And yes, I say this like toons are real, a la Roger Rabbit.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. On Inferno, even with stuff we don't hear about as much, you still always hear love for the Claremont run overall.

Rochallor posted:

The X-Factor issues of Inferno are #35-#40,

Good to know. #40 isn't in that Milestones Inferno book, and I'm skipping most of X-Factor except a few bits. I'll throw it on the ol' to-read list. I see Nanny and Orphan Maker are involved, so this is some good homework for reading Hellions. Also interesting that X-Factor #40 is pencilled by Rob Liefeld, his first issue at Marvel. And of course: Cable! He must have planned it all along...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Flying Zamboni posted:

PERMABAN
User: Genes Hackman
Ban Reason: Sinister84 clone account.

Righteous. Reminds me of Gene the Hackman, star of Abnett's comic Kingdom.

This is uncalled for, absolutely outrageous.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

omnibobb posted:

Hell, same.

Comics!!! YEeeeeeeeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sPDziuO84

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

There's right and there's right, and bringing back the original version of yourself who you killed as a goof, it's just the right thing to do. Much like the famous "Justice for Han" movement in Fast and Furious, I believe it justice served seeing the classic Cable return. The idea that you can get capped by a younger version of yourself to salvage poor writing by Bendis, it's just too much of an existential nightmare. It could happen to any of us.

But, I respect that making a good X-Men beverage out of those lemons is what we appreciate, so kudos to Kid Cable for entertaining the denizens here. I just like a life story to have more of a not usurped by a young version of you thing thing, it's just not my style. In fact, I'm gonna say it, Kid Cable was not right to have killed classic Cable like that. Could've challenged him to an honorable duel, could've talked it out, so many possibilities. Those nutty kids.

Unrelated, recently I had the thought that I could use more stories of you and copies of you living together. Like Multiplicity, or any various time shenanigans version or whatever. There are so many Groundhog Day loop movies, but not nearly enough takes at the ol' Multiplicity. So clearly Kid Cable and Old Cable should've been a buddy oddball team-up from the beginning.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 28, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That lovely manga Blade of the Immortal has a protagonist who does have worms all up in him, and we see 'em often! They're special immortalizing worms or something. So I say read that cool manga for your worm representing. Plus it's a good yarn.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The hot claw saga is just so drat funny, I love it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good to know. That True Friends thing does sound pretty wild and nutty. I hope Kitty did it!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is all good, informative, insane stuff. News I can use. Dracula, still got it, even Tony Soprano and Garfield, cow people, this is a lotta good stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speak posted:

Also, can we agree that this was the Nightcrawler look we've all been waiting for? Because my man is looking dope af.

Hell yea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dig reading this thread, even though I haven't read a single issue of this era, and I'm still in the middle of the Claremont run. I've got the HoX/PoX trade on the shelf, to be read sometime. It is kooky that that Hickman part of things is ending before I even crack it open, but that's the backlog life.

Also, feels like half the tie-ins and whatnot I'd have no idea what I can skip or what to include if not keeping up. So the takes in here are both educational as well as inspirational, yes indeed. I have a stack of Saga trades, gotta get going on that too.