Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jng2058 posted:

Jubilee had that whole vampire thing for awhile which was pretty magic adjacent. Rogue and Gambit as the fish out of water could work. My problem was the pacing, which felt off to me, somehow. I dunno, maybe it was just a first issue problem, but the whole thing felt rushed to me. :shrug:

The bit with the coven did feel... I dunno, truncated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

New Mutants was fun. They seem much more back to their OG personalities, and it's again super nice for Wolfsbane to not be dead. Especially Magik who is much more fun when she's snarkier. Amusingly it does kind of retroactively make a scene in X-Men a little weird, but it's a good time.

X-Force is fine. Like it's mostly set up and things happen but it's not bad

(When did Karma lose a leg?)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I really, really enjoyed New Mutants. Hickman seems to have the heart of the team down already, and the art was beautiful. I wasn't as fond of X-Force, but I'll give it another issue, at least. I liked it better than Excalibur, if nothing else.

Yeah, if you told me Claremont's New Mutants was one of Hickman's favorite books, I'd believe you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah when he gave his top 5 it was Magneto, Emma, Sinister, Monet and then Bobby and Sam tied at 5.

Monet? Wow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'll be for X-Force if it turns into Domino's team book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Little Mac posted:

Mondo was a real unrepentant piece of poo poo. It's hard to see how he got to where he is in NM.

Weren't Evil Mondo a clone Black Tom made?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Black Tom is also on Krakoa and is acting surprisingly chill for somebody with a nearly-40-year history of being a total bastard. I think we need to start really considering the idea that Xavier is loving with people pretty hard.

Tom's had an amusing evolution of his powers. Once upon a time he could just shoot fire through his Irish cane. (Not a euphemism.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I liked Fallen Angels well enough, with a but:

I don't know if Laura really needs to be a murder machine again. Feels like backsliding.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Little Mac posted:

I thought FA was real bad at first but as it progressed I started to really like Psylocke. It won me over by the end.

It's weird. I like the Psylocke stuff but at the same time it feels like Hill hasn't read an appearance of Laura's in the last five years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I'm still interested in Excalibur but I'm kind of waiting for things to jump off. Right now it's just... interesting, I guess.

Marauders is my 'if I only read one X-Book X-Book' because man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My first X-Men book was #210 which has the team on it going 'C'mon, mess with us - make our day!' or something similar and you'd think that would mean there's an epic fight in there but not really. Instead it's a lot of lead-up to the Mutant Massacre so little Dawgstar picked quite the time to jump on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do kind of wish to see the reaction of somebody who hadn't been reading Marauders and then all of a sudden here's Captain Kate who may or may not have knuckle tats.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

in honor of Chris Claremont's 69th birthday, every X line book that comes out today will have at least 1 panel of Storm getting naked and taking a shower by generating a rain cloud for no real reason.

Also a reminder that her name translates as 'beauty.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good news! New Mutants is still amazing. And X-Force is my first casualty because... yeesh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Excalibur feels like it's still laying more pieces down, but I'm still interested so that's okay, at least for now.

Marauders was good even with a distressing lack of Marauder-ing in it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

Excalibur is still holding me, the characters in it are good enough for me to stay a while. Xmen was weird but sure why not, and marauders continues being awesome. What's the brief story of shinobi shaw? It looks like a phased hand killed him? I know I've never read anything with him in it but that's all.

Shinobi Shaw (who can control his density to phase or become super solid) was originally an Upstart and got points for killing his father and then tried to off X-Force but that didn't go so well. He more or less went into hiding for a while until he was killed by Shaw during Necrosha for reasons that escape me right now but was brought back to life by Selene later on. Then he re-joined the Upstarts, but killed himself when he found out they were actually working for his dad. The weird dents in his skull Sebastian remembers are from Shinobi phasing his own hand into his head.

He's also bisexual, apparently.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 4, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I always liked the little un-nibbled plot hook that Shinobi's powers are very very similar to Hellfire Club member Harry Leland and not particularly similar to Sebastian's, given the little scraps we know about mutant powers and heredity. I know it explicitly comes up at least once as something Shinobi's thought about but I guess Sebastian is either unaware or doesn't care.

Yeah, he teases Sebastian about it right before he killed him. (I honestly can't remember how Sebastian came back.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The two female characters are Psylocke and... Nanny. Weird.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It was nice to see Armor again. She just kinda bopped around in the background for a while, didn't she?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So much X-books this week. Good heavens.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/annalisebissa/status/1207015948106059779

So Young Cable, Armor and Pixie plus some other guy I guess. Duggan and Noto. I'll definitely give it a shot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I still feel a little weird about Kate's new habit of phasing things into people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

X-Force is still towing that fine gentle line between being kinda eye-rollingly edgy and being actually really interesting. It definitely feels like one of the few books that actually paid any attention to the HOXPOX stuff. And I of course appreciate the Jean that's been appearing here much more than the Hickman edition, but on the other hand I don't want to be reading about grim portents Jean all the darn time either. Sigh, if only some sort of thermodynamic equilibrium could be established, Jean-wise.

It really seems a shame with all the work Taylor put into rehabbing Jean that X-Force is her main book, complete with being in her Marvel Girl costume for reasons.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It isn't like Pixie isn't still all over the place, and is even going to be in Yung Cable apparently so I'd have to think E&C's probably right.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

New Mutants' first ended with them being drafted for the Imperial Guard. Sorta.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

Excalibur's in this impossibly weird place where, like, it's being sold as the book about mutants and magic and somehow Britain as well, but zero percent of the mutants in that book are the magical ones, the ones who are there just aren't doing much, and we've got one (1) Brit.

We've got Wisdom running around now, so we've increased the quotient by 100%.

That said I'd like to know what the pitch was. 'Betsy becomes Captain Britain' is a fine hook but then it's a bunch of kinda random mutants and they sort of deal with the magical part of Britain? It's fine, and really feels like it's supposed to be read in big chunks but I don't blame people for dropping out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Marauders:

Oh lawd, X-Cutioner coming!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alright Hickman, treat Laura right or so help me God I'll complain without much enthusiasm about it on a comedy site's comic subforum. See if I won't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beerdeer posted:

Early Rahne here is terrified of herself too.

'Tis nae proper!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Magik did give them a choice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

Karma is such a cool character who has been so consistently and drastically misused, going all the way back to Claremont, it's so refreshing to see her just get to do cool things and exist as a normal team-member.

Yeah. It's hard to walk away from 'the Shadow King possessed me and made me morbidly obese.' And it's not even as though nobody writes other characters with mind control, but for some reason Karma always gets the short end of the stick.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm starting to think the reason I don't care for X-Force was I really dug Simone's Domino and I'd rather just see her doing stuff than crammed into an odd team book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

Leah Williams and David Baldeón are doing an X-Factor book. It's a team who investigate mutant deaths for The Five before the resurrection protocols and I am here for it. Northstar, Eye-boy, Rachel Grey, Prodigy, Polaris, and Daken, "Wolverine’s disaster son" " because the team needed a 'fucky thot enforcer.'"

Sold. Add it to my pull list already.

It's going to look pretty, too. I've been re-reading Baldeón's stuff on Domino and he's turned into an amazing penciler for my money, and he was never bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cabbit posted:

Did Prodigy ever get repowered?

That's a good question. The last I recall of him he was farting around in that America Chavez series that nobody seemed to like much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

omnibobb posted:

How is New Mutants so good?

Magik.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Whew. Hill seems alright on Batman and The Outsiders so I was kinda worried for a second. (People have pointed out it's a little funny he's good with Cass but not Laura.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That reminds me that Masque could be wandering around Krakoa, being super weird at people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, Excalibur really - finally - came into its own. I think that'll ready really nicely in chunks.

Edit: And Marauders was excellent, but that's normal.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 22, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Tempus is there to age the body and give them time to process the memories. You want a brand new baby with all of Cyclops powers and memories and poo poo in it. And even then it'd probably take at least 9 months.

Didn't Tempus' powers age her or am I confusing somebody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

I still maintain that her Gwenpool is abnormally bad compared to the rest of her work (which I've otherwise loved) but yeah, the last issue in particular does a fair amount of work to justify the rest of it.

And honestly once the latest issue of Excalibur dropped it made the whole run up click.