Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Early reports indicate that X-Men are good again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Tini Howard is real loving good, she wrote the Thanos mini-series that wrapped recently, she's writing Strikeforce which thus far has been rad as hell, and the Death's Head mini which, see above. She hasn't done a ton with Marvel yet but I have loved everything she's written so far.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It just seems like how that would happen when you have all the mutants just milling about a big-rear end, developing island. You just grab the people in arm's reach and get to your mischief. I'm all loving for it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm pretty sure my first one was X-Men 269 the one with Rogue battling a zombie-looking Carol Danvers. But it might have been one of the X-Men/FF crossover books, the one with Franklin crying on the cover. I have really distinct memories of those two, actually the FF/X-Men one I always found vaguely upsetting as a kid and when I reread that series in my 30's that emotional memory really felt fresh. So yeah, one of those two.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Little Mac posted:

After that my next comic book was the Marvel Holiday Special 1991 which loving owned because Santa kills the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Oh poo poo, this just made me remember that Santa is a Mutant, not just a Mutant, but the most powerful one ever recorded. Where is Santa's workshop on Krakoa? I demand a Santa series.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That run managed to make Stryfe's stupid loving costume look cool.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Every issue ends with another gruesome death like he was Kenny on South Park.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well that's a gigantic Havoc in the back judging from the headgear, the egg in the middle is Nanny, has to be Nanny it's an egg and Nanny is the only egg so Orphanmaker must be in front of her even though neither of them are mutants (I guess the egg could be Sugar Man maybe but he loving sucks), the leaping clawed woman is Feral, that's Sinister's cape, gloved dude in the front is probably Vulcan, so that just leaves dude behind Vulcan and the woman with the katana which has to be either Kate Pryde in demon ninja mode or Psylocke. I can't think of any other X-women who used a katana.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's 100% Feral. As accurate as my predictions have been thus far, I did not expect Scalphunter. I'd been kind of hoping it would be Maverick because for some unknown reason (the Jim Lee trading card) I've always kinda liked him.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well that's certainly a roster.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Phil Noto should always be on an X-book.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

But like, over in New Mutants they're literally starving babies to show off how extreme and dangerous the new threat whose name I can't remember is. By comparison Wolverine and Quire getting killed comes across almost quaint. Just like old times y'know.

Holy poo poo, I didn't even catch Quire the first time around.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm pretty curious about what happened to fantomex. did xavier switch to a clone as soon as one was available, or is there another xavier running around?

What happened was LOOK OVER THERE!if we ignore it, it will go away on its own. Personally, I'm fine with ignoring it but that resolution didn't really work for me in the first place so :shrug:

Actually I can't remember, is Fantomex actually a mutant or wasn't he genetically engineered in the World, or is it both?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

He's also immortal (sometimes) regardless of his blastin' status.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Excalibur is a strange book but it's really working for me and Rictor and Gambit connecting over a Smiths reference made me so happy.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Leah Williams and David Baldeón are doing an X-Factor book. It's a team who investigate mutant deaths for The Five before the resurrection protocols and I am here for it. Northstar, Eye-boy, Rachel Grey, Prodigy, Polaris, and Daken, "Wolverine’s disaster son" " because the team needed a 'fucky thot enforcer.'"

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

GSB was a really rough start but I think ended well, it's not her most successful work but X-Tremists was absolutely incredible. Her X-Men Black issue about Emma was also really good.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Cloks posted:

Yeah, Ron Reis seems like a great stylistic follow-up to Sienkiewicz.

His work, especially on New Mutants, makes me think of Phil Noto with a Sienkiewicz filter and those are two great tastes that are great together.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Alan Davis might just be my absolute favorite artist for Nightcrawler too.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

On the one hand, it's not quite "oh poo poo!" level, though I do think it's an interesting concept. On the other hand, it's Vita Ayala so I'm in.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Give Rockslide and Anole their own team. Also give Anole a bunch of adorable boyfriends.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Eden's been working with T'Challa over in Black Panther, so he's at least still around. I'd like to see Gentle back, speaking of Wakandan mutants.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Did Goldballs change his name?

I mean, yes technically but c'mon Fabio, you're Goldballs.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I don't remember precisely but it's a constant with her. She's gained control over her powers a few times but it never sticks.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I think she gets control of it by the end of Rogue and Gambit?

Because of a power dampening bracelet, which she still has.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Rogue's back-and-forth would bother me less but for the fact that it's happened so many times and is not always well explained, if explained at all. The current state of her powers is satisfying because a story was built around it, but that was true of the time she gained control over her powers and lost Danvers' powers and then something, something Wonder Man and everything's reset! It's the nature of comics and X-Men in particular but hopefully she'll stay at this status quo moving forward, because drama about her powers is overdone and dull, it's emotional drama I want around her!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

That reminds me of the Shadow King. He'd be awkward to bring back.

I wonder if they even could since by the time they made contact with him his original body had been long dead or killed by Xavier before he ever met Moira.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Juggernaut mini series written by Fabian Nicieza. Trying to find his place in the world since he isn’t welcome on Krakoa.

I am here for this poo poo.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Somebody needs to make a horse version of Cannonball, in the style of Throg.

"I'm neigh-invulnerable when I'm blastin'!"

Well now I'm disappointed in Al Ewing for not giving Mr. Horse that line.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's all Warren Ellis' fault, he introduced the British slang to the Frosts when he took over Generation X.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

danbanana posted:

"Ca-law-sus"

"Aw-pawcalypse"

These are way more entertaining than they should be, well done.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Would Kurt be "Naight-cruller"?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Goddamn, Marauders is on fire. What a run so far. New Mutants? Delightful as hell! Bobby is so gleefully terrible and for some reason I really want him and Deathbird to work out. What a time to be an X-reader. All-New Wolverine and X-Men: Red notwithstanding, I can't think of how long it's been since the line was firing on all cylinders like this (Fallen Angels never happened.)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Now that it's been brought up, it seems really strange to me that Longshot hasn't been retconed into a mutant since his son is and he's a clone of his son. Also I love that this is an actual question that I can raise. loving comic books are the best.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gologle posted:

wait what

X-Men!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

That the X-Men and Dracula/vampires have such a long-term, ongoing history is a constant source of delight to me. On top of everything else they have to deal with,. every few years there's vampire bullshit they get dragged into and it's glorious.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Cyclops didn't study math, part of his mutant power is being bananas good at geometry. Captain Kate did get some sort of degree during MechaniX and ran for Alderman but I don't remember if her field of study was specified. Havoc and Polaris were studying geophysics not archaeology.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Nessus posted:

It's honestly kind of weird Brian isn't a mutant

As Jay and Miles pointed out this week, he's also not strictly human since their father was from Otherworld. The Braddocks are strange.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

But it's still really worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

He's also on an island with a woman who was a literal Valkyrie, many faiths (just those two) have afterlives that one can actually verify in the 616.