Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Does Logan still have those "hot claws"? When did he steal powers from Pete Wisdom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And the explosion that they thought killed him opened a rift in the universe to a universe where Death was killed and all life mutated into a Cthulu inspired Cancerverse.

Thanos Imperative was so loving good. :allears:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Since Maker's as a villain happened during Hickman's criminally short run on Ultimates, I'm still sort of low key disappointed he hasn't shown up to do anything during any of the main X-books.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 27, 2021

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Just catching up on the fashionably awesome bat poo poo Hellfire Gala. Love love loved the whole process of terraforming using mutant powers.

In essence: https://youtu.be/iRygA_sM6lM

I do wonder if Arrako is just going to turn on Earth eventually with Apocalypse and his wife at the helm.

Doom and Cap having very cordial conversations is something I never knew I would want more of.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I hope Blurd has time to pencil me in for an appointment. :allears:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Yo did Hellions just goatse us?

I need a Kwannon fist shaking ESSEEEXXXXX smiley after today. God Alex is so hilariously pathetic.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So is all the x-world building just going to come to some kind of abrupt end?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I dunno like it's all building to something, loving with the White Hot Room and taking material from it, galactic expansion, Moira's different lives and how mutants would survive being assimilated into a galactic computer civilization, how Scott, Logan, and Jean keep their thrupple the most stable relationship around, I feel like Otherworld stuff is the weak part for me, but the new metal being offered as the same kind of carrot on stick approach on a galactic scale is all going to crumble in the most spectacular fashion you'd have thought Hank McCoy thought up this whole loving plan into downfall.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I really enjoyed how Amino Fetus final stage is just mogwai apocalypse but way grosser and bloodier. (gor)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

One thing that doesn't make sense to me about the Orchis attacks So the team that goes on the mission dies every time, different configurations whatever. SOMEONE has to be sending them off to do this, and have a plan mapped out. Them repeating the same patterns again and again doesn't make sense. I get you have a memory back up of before you die so you lose some time, but there should be some sort of physical data of "okay we planned it this way we died, planned it this way didn't work" and so on. Either whoever is planning the missions is sending on purpose so those dead bodies pile up to get cloned or whatever at the Orchis facility, or a telepath is also mind wiping the organizer of the missions and wiping data every single time so they are completely ineffective

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's another Hickman Illuminati hubris but with fewer people.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jesus Hellions was depressing today.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh no her backup is from ages ago!
Thats okay we'll just update her about everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylACcnHS3i0&t=54s

One of my favorite parts about the abridged version

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Seriously what the loving gently caress. :psypop:

Raven is such a massive bitch, you get revealed that all those time(s?) you went after Moira poo poo goes bad for Mutanity, granted every time goes bad for Mutanity, so lets just lop off an arm to send a message??? To what end? Also Doug having enough foresight to have back channel comms to Krakoa so he knows he's not getting the wool pulled over his eyes was pretty loving great.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

danbanana posted:

When Omega was telling her story, she mentioned the "Trickster Titan - betrayer and coward of its brother and sister machines." That's Warlock, right? Warlock gonna get big like Doug's wife! But I think that's the conclusion in her future: Warlock-Doug-Krakoa broker into a mutant-machine alliance and that's where things go bad for humanity and the Dominions.

I do like the involvement of the Children of the Vault, tying those drat good X-Men issues in.

Also, I wouldn't say Omega is machine-moira. They're more like Machine-Kate-Pryde from DOFP. She's just a time traveller, not a multiverse destroyer.

But I think I'm fully in the boat of "this mini series should have been 8-10 issues." HoXPoX worked because it allowed Hickman his space to really explain the cool ideas he has (this issue's example is the Doug reveal, which could have been just a page but Hickman absolutely needs to explain every step to get there) while ramping up the big moments. There's a LOT in this issue, compared to the last one, which makes the pacing feel weird. Maybe a reread once it's done and whole might change that opinion but this felt a bit rushed, in my opinion. Still, cool poo poo- even if things like the Omega Sentinel stuff is out of the blue.

I hadn't thought that Warlock would be a "Trickster Titan" that's an interesting wrinkle. But then again if it was Warlock doing that, wouldn't that mean he's effectively loving over everyone?

And future Omega Sentinel is just some weird future mega racist cyborg? Or am I interpreting that wrong? This being wants that future where humanity gets absorbed into the mega structures of the Phalanx Gods right?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Does anyone else hear Mentok - The Mind Taker oooohweeeooohh whenever Sinister is talking?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

I hear Matt Berry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsriu6a_ukw

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Man, I don't really know where Hickman is taking all of this. Or what his plans were.

Like I can't imagine that Mystique and Destiny would kill Moira again, because they know that it would reset this reality. So maybe they're going to sort of take over the main spots on the council where Magneto and Xavier were.

So Destiny is a clairvoyant, not only does she see giant foreboding black hole future in Moira's presence or whatever, but ALSO sees like oh gently caress a Nimrod that's more powerful than the original, and an Omega Sentinel with future knowledge, oh yeah and mutants are just smacking Techno Gods around and flourishing even while putting humanity under their boot heel which is usually what bad guy villains sort of want to do regardless of if they are human or mutant...........yep this sure sounds pretty bad better stop this.

That all being said I really really REALLY enjoy it when Charles is smacked around for his hubris, Beast too maybe more so, because he NEVER loving learns, it almost makes me think the Maker theories from the very beginning were on point. Overall I'm enjoying everything going on, but start to get nervous when writers start using busted characters like Destiny and have her just be :smug: the entire time in an "all according to how I have forseen" kinda poo poo.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

danbanana posted:

Yeah this is the most obvious out at this point. It's the only solution to the situation without another reset, and the problem with another reset is there's only one issue left to explain it all.

Again: every time she dies, trillions die with her and it is extremely hosed up.

Do they die? Or does time just rewind back to the moment of her birth????

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

if you're the person being rewound, what's the difference?

The "you" that gets rewound, erasing all of those experiences, is lost - and there's a nonzero chance that the ripple effects of Moira's actions leads to a new you that is entirely different, because you've had entirely different experiences.

I mean maybe? If you have no interaction with this person whatsoever, if it is just a rewind to the point of her birth, everything else happens the same unless you somehow cross paths with her. The average non NYC person is just or has just been repeating the same beats of their lives. Without knowing. That also means all the possible futures happen exactly the same until she interacts with them differently/dies.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I guess I'm coming at it from the standpoint of Emma not really telling them EVERYTHING and Destiny willingly playing along knowing they're being used. Which led me to my assumption as to the nature of Moira's resets vs Emma's ultimate goals since she's standing apart from Charles and Erik.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

*looks at MVC storm going HURRRGH HURRGHH HURRRGH in the corner*

"Eh, could be worse"

It's the only ASMR loop that gets Justin Wong to sleep on time.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Inferno talk: I like how even though Destiny is straight up telling Raven not to gently caress with Doug because she can't see what's going to happen since what they're doing is going to have so many profound effects, Raven still continues to gently caress with Doug until the very end because she's comically bloodthirsty. And they STILL want to kill Moira even though Doug just rightfully says be satisfied with that you have each other, tomorrow isn't a promise. I did like how Moira rightfully points out that Destiny can't see EVERYTHING with her visions clear as a picture while Moira remembers everything about her past lives, a shame you couldn't have had them work together. Guess we are going to see Moira hide out with Orchis for a while or something.

Yeah, they can build him a suit to do about anything.

Either that or like I said, the old theory that since Scott is powered by the sun, that if he channeled his powers in a different way he could be Superman is now true!

His punch lasers now get redirected to push out through his feet for thrust!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

danbanana posted:

Past performance may not be indicative of future results!

I dont know about your last point since she has very clearly different goals than they do (even if I am still very unsure what her goals were or why she just didn't do them during the many years Destiny was dead and would not be there to stop her).

It's more of a line of thinking that since Moira is now human with a chunk of Phalanx on her arm, that would prove to be incredibly enticing for the Omega Sentinel and Nimrod to have, plus Orchis seem like the only people that Moira would be around that would have the resources she needs for her "cure" and also keep her alive long enough for her to actually try and go for it. And keeps her in the story as a whole, since she never really got to see mutanity succeed in it's goals of getting past the machines and Phalanx Gods like Omega Sentinel did. But then again her stated goal was never really that but for a cure, sooooooo no idea???

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

danbanana posted:

Wait.

Are Nimrod and Omega still part of Orchis? They loving murdered a bunch of them and gave a big speech about how they don't see a difference between mutants and humanity. I guess with no survivors, they could just go back like that didn't happen but... What's the point?

I guess I just assumed they were a separate threat now.

I don't see why they don't keep using Orchis to their own ends, they have a nigh impregnable base orbiting the sun, a Master Mold, and no survivors that witnessed anything.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

as a comics noob: why is a Valkyrie showing up at all? does she "belong" to the current writer? also I thought Valkyries could hang with Thor and Mystique is a street-level punk

Jane became Valkyrie after the War of the Realms event after she took Ultimate Thor's hammer and broke it and it became some golden metal goop, and the ghosts of the Valkyries charged her to become one since she liked being a hero.

Also why would Mystique even bother to attack when her girlfriend can see the future and basically be like "Yeah don't go for her then you'll get literally flattened by a demi-god and will probably die."?

Honestly Valkyrie could have just put Mystique into a coma so easily it'll be really dumb how she gets away. Phalanx Wolverine essentially looking like he's functioning like a Krakoan anti-body is pretty neat.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

What X-Books come out today?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

New X-Deaths was really really good, totally called it. On Mystique's rashness, at least she paid for it in a really good way, a shame that Doug replacing her arm was just a tracking device for apparently the Phalanx Wolverine and not what Moira thinks it was.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

The newest X Deaths of Wolverine kind of gives some logic to Moira heel turn.

F you guys. I lived X lives trying to save Mutants and now you get your own land/culture and you gently caress me over.

This is pretty much why I hated Destiny and Mystique in their roles in the whole thing. It becomes a chicken or the egg problem.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mameluke posted:

It's weird how Moira now looks just like Mystique with a blue and white body and red hair (at least as lit)

When did she transfer her brain, brainwave patterns, essence etc etc etc, into an robot body? I feel like I missed something there and is it her organic head on a robot body, or is it just like a Robocop job where she just put her face over an android head?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

As always Mystique and Destiny ruin everything.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm so on board with Immortal X-Men

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hickman's FF run, right before Secret Wars started.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Skwirl posted:

My head cannon for hosed up foreign names like Xi'an or Illyana is that the parents were the Vietnamese or Russian or whatever equivalent of this lady.

How the hell do white people pronounce that poo poo? Where's the vowel stressed when you're supposed to say it?

Lah-kin?

Lay-kin?

Lah-kine?

Lay-kine?

Lak-yin?

Endless Mike posted:

Yooo X-Men Red is so good

I saw the Badass Panels thread, I can't wait to get home.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm really surprised that we got another issue of X-Men Red this month. And that it definitely clarified what happened on the Mags vs Tarn fight.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So are they just going to kill Merlyn finally, or just exorcise whatever stick demon went up his rear end that made him insanely evil?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

To be fair, everything and everyone should be voiced by Matt Berry.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ray *loving* Purchase would make for a masterful Master. And now I'm sad this Doctor wouldn't happen.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Eddie Izzard would make a great catty Mr. Sinister.

John Michael Higgins rechanneling his Mentok the Mindtaker would be a fantastic Sinister.

Edit: If those spoilers are true, that just says to me that the entire poll was just for show. Firestar doesn't make much sense unless the author wanted to use that person from the get go. I would have expected Hisako or Gorgon to have been in the lead/won.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

That’s how I took it! Something something iron in his blood something :science:

If that's the case he should have started stuffing the barf metal down Uranos' throat and see if he could rupture him from the inside out as a clever temporary victory, I'll never understand when you have a writer have someone like Magneto be clever enough to squash Tarn's head like a watermelon with his own helmet, but not have him just be like oh right you're really strong, how's about we start shoving slivers of metal down your nose to clog whatever you call a heart or brain be severed internally.

Only for them to follow tired tropes to show how badass grandpa villain is. And that's because I loved the end splash page. If the Eternals can resurrect themselves pretty quickly have them take a temporary loss due to their hubris. It wouldn't have hurt in the long run I don't think.