Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

CitizenKrang posted:

My first X-Men was this issue of X-Men classic.
Rereading it recently made me appreciate Claremont's knack for explaining everyone's powers in a way that ten-year-old me could understand. It's an annoying habit when reading a collection but for a kid with limited knowledge of the characters and no access to Wikipedia its cool to be able to pick a book up off the spinner rack at 7-11 and have it be newbie friendly and fairly self contained (granted this is a 2-parter, but it gives you all the info you need from the prior issue via flashback). Also, Doom and Arcade should team up more often.

Prior to ever actually reading any X-Men comics, the character bios in this game's manual were my only exposure the them. The game was trash but I remember obsessing over the manual which had info on all the characters, backstory on the Fall of the Mutants, and introduced me to the Watcher!

My first X-men was Issue 247 but it made no sense to me at time, which, makes sense because that story is basically all context-required.

The first one I read and resonated was Classic X-Men #59 which was the Brood invading New York with Deathbird, who I legit thought killed Colossus at the end. He wasn't in that later issue! I didn't know comics yet, but I had gotten X-Men cards before so I knew Colossus was a pretty big deal and I picked the issue up where he was KILLED.

Anyway Marauders is still really good. I didn't get today's Fallen Angels yet but I read the last one and it was really good, too. E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm just really interested in seeing where the Psylocke stuff goes. She got a raw deal several times over the years so a book around her seems like a nice idea.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

when you turn on the front camera by accident

lmao, I was thinking the same thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Oh please don't misunderstand, I will continue complaining forever. That won't change. :)

Even though I enjoy what's happening I just want to say I appreciate your criticism and don't necessarily think it's off base.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I know so little other than trades read in a bookstore or one-issue comics I grabbed from a bin or wikipedia entries about most of the characters there so it's actually fun to see them in one book. I'm sure in 10 years this will be all stuck back in a box and we'll be back to the old status quo but it's stuff like this that really has me excited about comics in a way I just haven't been in a long time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

A quick skim of a list of X-Men shows the 'missing' X-Heroes are Mimic, Changeling, Thunderbird I & II, Joseph, Stacy X, Lifeguard, Slipstream, Cloak & Dagger(?), Namor, Danger, Frenzy, Legion, X-Man, Jimmy Hudson, Ink, and Pyro II, and then some even more obscure characters who are either still students or haven't been seen in forever like Skids or Adam-X The X-Treme.

Half of these people are still canonically dead, I think. Or possibly not mutants.

Wait. . . does this mean Rusty has appeared?

Namor not being around is probably the weirdest of all that just because he seemed like a character Hickman liked.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Xavier tried to recruit Namor, and Namor called him out that Xavier didn't really believe what he was saying about superiority. Magneto or Apocalypse are probably the ones you want to send to recruit Namor.

Also I don't think Reed is 100% in the right. The X-Men said they were willing to wait for Franklin to make his choice, but had to accelerate their recruiting him because he was losing his powers. Losing an omega level mutant would be a big deal to them and they don't want that to happen.

There we go, I remember that now.

Edge & Christian posted:

Nah, Rusty has been dead since (real life) 1995, Skids at least appeared as recently as the Tales of Suspense mini-series in 2018. So she's at least hypothetically on Krakoa "not doing anything". And again, I realize mutants can be resurrected but "eighth best mutant at shooting fire" is probably neither the top priority of Krakoa or a glaring example of how they/writers aren't giving enough characters the spotlight.

I've always had a soft spot for Rusty, even though yeah it makes sense he's low priority. I just figured since he wasn't mentioned but Skids was, maybe he appeared somewhere.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Wait hold on. In Marauders 8 did we finally see the Iceman teleport (a referenced power in Age of Apocalypse that I don’t think made it on page) for the first time in 616? Or was that via some other means?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

The latest X-Men issue is super fun. I'm a little surprised we're delving into War of Kings territory so heavily, but I don't know why I'm surprised because it was a pretty big deal at the time and changed Shi'ar and Kree status quo a lot, not to mention the part Vulcan played.

And don't tease me with that mention of Black Bolt, Hickman. I need him and the rest of the Inhumans to show up in this series. I thrill for that confrontation.

He's done it a rare few times in recent memory, actually. It happened in the Sina Grace Iceman series, issue five. Probably a couple other times I don't remember; it's one of those things that only come up when a writer actually knows Iceman canon really well. :v:

But I don't think he's actually teleporting away in Marauders #8? He wouldn't be able to take Bishop with him, after all. It looks like they're being beamed away somehow, probably by Emma's ship. It's not too clear.

Ah! I bet that series is on Unlimited by now, I was meaning to read it.

And yeah you are right about Bishop.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's not out of Apocalypse's character to be hypocritical so it makes sense but really he should be hopping on board with Nimrod who's been the most fit on Earth in multiple timelines.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I like the last year of X-Factor than anything that came before it so if it was phantom written by Whilce Portacio than good on him (I know hos modern work is really bad but I loved his 90s stuff).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

It's almost definitely Scott Rosenberg, not the royalties to the creators. Quoting myself from the last time this came up:

Ultraverse co-creators (the ones who would be paid the royalties) seem to subscribe to the Rosenberg contract theory.

In the time since I wrote this, Rosenberg also sold the rights to Youngblood (which he may or may not have actual rights to) to Andrew Rev, which is the last time he came up about a year ago.

Is Youngblood any good? I only ever saw the adverts when I was young, I didn't have the spare money to dip into it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

danbanana posted:

I just started back on floppies BECAUSE of Hickman's X-Stuff, after pretty much 15+ years of trades (and 5ish years of digital). I've honestly felt closer to books because of the move back to floppies and when I get the chance to be in a good shop (the one closest to me is literal trash), I usually find myself buying some random thing to support them.

That said... the Direct Market is probably the worst business system one can conceive of, and only kind of worked due to the back issue market. That market is mostly dead- when I think about "good shops," usually those aren't the ones with a couple hundred long boxes strewn about- and the system itself is probably long due to collapse. It sucks because it is going to hurt a lot of small businesses, but horse farmers and stage coach builders had to go at some point, too.

It was the same for me. I went once because I didn't remember to buy one of the issues before work and decided I wanted to read it during lunch. I found that going to a comic store that doesn't stink once a week to talk to a friendly associate who makes recs to me that I actually enjoy was a good experience.

But going to a comic store like the stores I went to as a kid, or like I went to when I first moved to Arizona . . . no.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like it's implied she was 18 once Excalibur started but I could be misremembering.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rochallor posted:

The Dark Phoenix Saga is wonderful, but reading it in sequence really sheds light on why adaptations of it have failed. You can't have a Dark Phoenix saga without a Phoenix saga. Jean has to be Phoenix and not evil/gaslit for some time for it to work. The storyline with the M'Kraan crystal is really just as important an element to the whole story as the Hellfire Club or the fight on the moon, but that's not anywhere in the trade paperback.

I read the graphic novel that my aunt bought me a million times which starts with them picking up Kitty, but yeah the arcs before that make it even better.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lmao

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, and in that time there's specific mention of her training with Wolverine until he thinks she's nearly his equal, plus storylines where she routinely defeats powered people using cunning and martial arts skills. Plus, who can forget the iconic "Storm knife fights Callisto" scene from the introduction of the Morlocks?

Storm rules. I feel like an almost innumerable number of runs between Claremont and today have given her pretty short shrift characterisation-wise - she's usually the 90s cartoon version of herself, the serene weather goddess with very effective powers and a muted personality. It's cool to see Marauders painting a deeper portrait.

It's been way too long since someone just gave Storm a team and let her run it her way. Like if they weren't writing her as Extremely Tired the past 10 years I'd be surprised she was going along with this Karoka stuff without more questions.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It does say something that after all those years, where so many major arcs were dealing with the legacy of Apocalypse, and trying to stop him from coming back--at one point the Celestials were just like "hey he's back" (at least according to Wikipedia)--although I'm not sure what that something is.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 22, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Android Blues posted:

A lot of the retro Wanda/Vision stuff in old Avengers is very sweet and is one of the most interesting things happening in those comics. That's where my love for the character comes from.

Agreed. I also thought at some point after all that got messed up (in West Coast avengers I think), when Vision was yellow and emotionless and she grew to accept that what happened to her sucked but life was going on and she was going to be okay and I thought it was pretty actualized. She was fine honestly until Bendis decided the 90s didn't happen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This is good.

Lorna's been a mess over the years. I think I like the X-Factor version of her the most.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That feels like a propaganda res because if they bring him back they can say they really will give anyone a chance. Although, also, it feels like it's hard to do the Sabertooth to that guy if he gets out of hand.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Android Blues posted:

The Shadow King's horrible, but I think we've already seen people as bad strolling around Krakoa. Selene's whole shtick is sucking the life force out of teenage sacrifices, Apocalypse once employed a dude named Holocaust, etc.

The Shadow King's just extra creepy. Does his evil stuff while turning you into a rubber gimp and having spider legs. Apocalypse at least obfuscates the petty banality of his evil by having a sleek visual design, and transforms his unwilling minions into similarly stylish forms.

The funny thing though due to the 90s I'm much more willing to accept the premise of Apocalypse as flyin' on the side o' the angels and in at least in what we've seen on screen Selene's brought back to life more named characters than she's killed. Shadow King is the scariest of the bunch to me easy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
E: wrong thread sorry.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Doesn't she sleep with one of Madrox's dupes in X-Factor?

I think Rahne's love history could best be described as messy.

I do agree though there is some subtext here and there that there are at least some women whom she has feelings for.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I wonder if Rachel’s future even still exists post Secret Wars.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Didn’t they try to make Ahab some supporting character from late in the original run of Excalibur who loved mutants and had a crush on Rachel but got injured in an accident or something so now was going to get revenge on all mutants?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rochallor posted:

It was Roderick Cambell, who found out he's supposed to turn into Ahab in the future and gets freaked out about it, so he takes positions helping mutants so that he never develops any anti-mutant bigotry--but then, what if that's just the thing that sets him on the path to become Ahab? Kinda intriguing but not actually good, IIRC. The name got used in The Gifted in one of the deepest continuity pulls for any TV show I can think of.

Ah, yes that's it. I remember it being very eye-rolly in execution and I'm normally a sucker for dramatic irony.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

nemesis_hub posted:

I actually like that Hickman and the line as a whole are taking their time, planting plot seeds at a leisurely pace. I love all of it (except Fallen Angels) and I trust the writers at this point to blow up everything up at the coolest possible moment, when the build up is at the max.

Do we have a “Cyclops was Right” equivalent for pro-Krakoa partisans?

I am however far behind Marvel Unlimited is now unfortunately but Boom Boom doesn't seem to be enjoying all of this.

Speaking of, I enjoy just about everything but I am hopeful a year from now we have villains other than people from Russia or Fictional Countries in power armor.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
X-Men #8 there is a scene where Broo is in a suit walking through a gate with Jean and it looks like a wedding scene. This is beautiful.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That guy made me mad because when I was a kid one of the characters I came up with in my head was a guy who had a sword that had some of the Phoenix force in it. Although it wasn't that original of a character I guess since it was just Galford from Samurai Showdown with a cool sword.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

KaosMachina posted:

Would it have been less original than Literally Just Cloud Like Come On He Has The loving Shoulderpad?

Lol I mean he had a shoulderpad too because Galford is basically a Cloud predecessor. But yeah this is pretty blatant. Also the dude dated Rachel. This was definitely the writer's OC.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
drat I never knew how badly I wanted motorcycle mania to spread around Krakoa.

Xavier Life 10: "Why did life 9 fail?"

Moria Life 10: " Yeah too many mutants kept dying in motorcycle accidents. Like Jean must have died in that ball where you drive a motocycle inside of it like once a week. Just couldn't keep the five off of their bikes and eventually there was no redundancy and that was the end of mutant kind. We can't rez Team America this time."

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 14, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don’t think many authors intentionally self-insert but every character is a bit of a self-insert since people generally characterize others through the lens of their experience.

I try not to to worry about it.

Although it is very funny how many different non-sequitur leads have been tossed at Kitty.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Oh, did they already address Vulcan is alive in space while the reincarnated one is rolling around too thing already? I figured that was way down the road (Unlimited reader currently).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

They're saying that the Vulcan on Krakoa is the one that was in space and he wasn't reincarnated.

Yeah, X of Swords being some wacky stuff is a lot better than being a dead serious tournament, I think.

That's wild. That did not seem like a dude who was going to decide to play family time all in the name of mutant rights but I guess floating in an endless void for five years has a way of changing people's perspective. I kind of assumed they just did him dirty and used a pre-Deadly Genesis backup.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Whoa, is that like... German Lobo?

Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo, there was something in HoXPoX about someone (someones?) having themselves restored from an earlier Xavier backup.

If there was anyone who it would make sense for, it'd be him. Just an awful life.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

If you mean the Iron Cross necklace he's wearing the Marvel/DC pages, it is/was a biker thing, as well as a necklace that Lemmy from Motorhead (a pretty obvious inspiration for the Bisley version of Lobo) also wore. It's in a whole lot of images of Lobo from the early 1990s.

It's understandably been omitted from most (not all) recent media, which I think is a good thing, as frankly you don't even want to inadvertently give racist/fascist groups a shoutout/thing to identify with. But in general, lots of not-hate-group people/brands used Iron Cross motifs in the 1970s-1990s. Like a lot of symbols/gestures/whatever, in isolation it's not a historical red flag without accompanying evidence; like the difference between "here's a photo of a Japanese pop star doing an 'okay' hand gesture" is materially different than "here is a conservative pundit in a MAGA hat standing behind a police chief giving a press conference doing an 'okay' hand gesture'.

(And yes punk rock/metal and biker gangs and skaters and lots of groups/people who wore Iron Crosses are in subcultures that also have had associations with white supremacists, racists, Nazis, and other piles of poo poo, but there's still a material difference between like Dee Dee Ramone wearing a day-glo swastika t-shirt in 1976 and like, Skrewdriver or Burzum.)

I did actually initially post "Nazi Lobo" but ended up changing it to German just because the iron cross seems to be less charged (although I agree with you probably best that people chill on it for the most part).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I love this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Someone once wrote a pretty great Beast timeline here, I wish I had saved a link to it.

I dunno it made sense where he ended up but also seemed to be a pretty clear case of every writer feeling they needed to raise the bar.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
X-Force was probably the most interested I was in the X-Men between Deadly Genesis and Dawn of X. I dunno you can throw "____ and the X-Men" in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

galagazombie posted:

"Jean was actually in a cocoon while Phoenix killed the Broccoli People" has been un-retconned (kinda) for a while now. All the bajillion retcons now basically mean she was both kinda Phoenix and kinda in the cocoon at the same time and was both innocent and culpable to the Phoenix doing poo poo, though it always counts as Jean for any "Was Jean present at this event" questions. But in short the current company line is "Don't think about it".

In the later X-Factors it covers her struggles with having all of Phoenix's memories and feeling guilt for the actions even if they weren't her doing them technically.