Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
New Mutants was pretty great, but it's always been my favorite team so I'm biased.

If Excalibur brought back Jamie Braddock, then Mad Jim Jaspers is probably on Krakoa somewhere. That's spooky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Little Mac posted:

Buff and Refrax

No. Bad.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
X-Men #2

Man it was weird to have a family-style dialogue with Scott and Rachel. I've never read a book where they were that comfortable with a family dynamic. I liked it though.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My first X-Book was the one where Rachel and Amara infiltrate the Hellfire Club to kill Selene.

But the first X-Book I COLLECTED was New Mutants, the issue right after Warlock brought Doug back from the dead.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Alaois posted:

i started reading comics last year

Nerd

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
New Mutants:

Nice of Bobby to sign away his fortune and company like that

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Obviously it's "Killed your mother and pissed on the corpse" McGee from the Muir Island X-Men

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
New Mutants:
So I guess the depowering has been undone? Beak and Angel, and most of their kids, were Decimated

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Generation X is the only good young X-Team name they're not already using

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
When I hit 34 and was therefore older than Bruce Wayne.... well that was a hard day

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Skwirl posted:

I can't believe this movie is finally coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vJhUAOFpI

Please God be MCU.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Barry Convex posted:

of course it's not, and why would you want a film that was in the can before the Disney/Fox merger was even announced to be retroactively made part of the MCU?

Because the New Mutants are my favorite super team of all time and I want them to be relevant. I bought the first published issue off the drug store rack when I was 6 and I've stayed with them all along.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Early Rahne here is terrified of herself too.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm very hype that Hickman has fully leaned on "Sure Sunspot is super strong but his real power is money"

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I thought one of the coolest parts was the text bit on Synch exploring the psychological effects of the resurrection. It even addressed that panel of Synch and Skin at the orgy.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I started reading the original X-Force last night and the art was just painful. I don't get why Liefeld was so idolized. Is there a good history of that period?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

jng2058 posted:

The thing I'm wondering is how likely it is that Chuck hasn't already read her mind, either recently or over the years, and discovered Destiny's warning?

e: You know, since Jean's already proven she can helm the resurrection process, maybe what Raven needs to do is to try and convince Jean and the Five to bring back Destiny without Charles' involvement at all. She is a Council member, and if she can convince Jean her cause is just then having two Council members ask the Five may be influence enough. Or, hell, bring it up in an open Council session and make Chuck and Erik either have to back down and let Destiny come back or at least get a public explanation why.

But no, we're probably going to have her sabotage missions in a way that does incalculable harm instead. :sigh:

Down this road lies the Phantom Menace

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
X-Men is SO loving GOOD

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Was Icarus brought back before this or was that just a really cool background thing that'd he'd been brought back off-screen?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Leech defeated Artie in mutant bloodsport.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
S'yms skull behind the bar.
Mercury skinny-dipping.
Daken's version of Russian Roulette.

Edit: Hey, isn't Hollow two pre-teen girls?

Edit 2: One of whom is severely autistic?

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 19, 2020

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I see some poo poo, but gently caress'em.

-Uatu the Watcher

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

LifeGetsWorser posted:

"Oh, distant celestial helium fire structures and fabric belts used primarily to keep stockings up, both that I have taken metaphorical possession of!"

Reporting this for perfection.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Bonzo posted:

I was reading in real time back then and the few issues of New Mutants where they "graduate" form their yellow black uniforms to individual ones is one of my favorite runs.

They did that twice. There was a set where only Magik had a decent suit

and then a second set where Rahne and Bobby were the only ones shorted.

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 23, 2020

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Bret Blevins was the artist in the second pic. His style is decidedly cartoony but it was a nice juxtaposition with the stories being told around then.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

rantmo posted:

Anole also was older at one point because a bunch of X-Men got stranded in the future or something. Never gets brought up because none of the New X-Men cohort other than Armor get the respect they loving deserve.

It is weird that there was a whole New Mutants comic and only the member who was a Reaver has any presence anymore.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Has anyone followed up on Krakoa apparently needing to eat mutants?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I’m reading on Unlimited so I’m months behind, but I just finished the first issue of Swords and the Peak reveal gave me actual chills.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
That face is super young so it'd have to be a Cuckoo.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm months behind so sure.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Assuming the Krakoan mutants aren’t still untouchable by all laws, there’s grounds for tort action there. Actual damages is going to be a bitch. What is “mental suffering” when the bad actor is capable and even prone to rummaging through your head?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Saoshyant posted:

Other than the art, one thing I rather liked about this week's NM was Rahne's depiction. Krakoa era has basically portrayed her as the baby girl on the team again. This week though it goes over both her past relationship with Elixir (from nearly two decades ago, jesus) and her (much maligned) son from the late X-Factor era. I am one of those people who geeks out when continuity is being used right to tell new stories.

With the way she'd been depicted, I was kind of thinking they might have deleted the crappy son and her death and stuff. I would have been super happy to have the Rahne back from right before the Elixir mess.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Rahne has had a real load of poo poo in her life seeing as she's only like 20-21 years old. She was 13 when she joined the New Mutants and maybe 16 when she met Hrimhari.

I say wipe her memory.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Edge & Christian posted:

Also those X-Calibre issues were drawn by Ken Lashley, not Bryan Hitch. Hitch was more of a Alan Davis clone in that period, but those panels definitely aren't his work.

I was reading the Authority last night and I had to keep checking it wasn't Davis. Especially with the legion of badguys in the first issues.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Wolfsbane used to turn into more than one wolf. We haven't seen that since resurrection I think.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Gaz-L posted:

I kind of want some depowered mutant who had a power that was really debilitating get resurrected on Krakoa and be mad that they have their powers back.

Chamber hangs out with the New Mutants doesn’t he.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Lila Cheney has a minimum limit. She can only teleport interstellar distances. Magik could theoretically go anywhere using Limbo as a stepping stone. I’d call them both pretty Omega

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Cant be raised? Moulder and Skully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I sure don’t like Prodigy’s.

But that’s probably because I was just reading Academy X the other day. He’s almost a completely different character now.