Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Sim City 4 is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Its soundtrack also slaps poo poo hard

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Just need to decipher some byzantine google doc with dead links to get it somewhat playable i guess.

Time to shock the corpse of maxis into life and create a dead space style remake already

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

bone emulator posted:

Just need to decipher some byzantine google doc with dead links to get it somewhat playable i guess.

Time to shock the corpse of maxis into life and create a dead space style remake already

Stomping apart derelict buildings in the slums to loot simoleons.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

doctorfrog posted:

So, if anyone is interested in what I uncovered, here are my raw notes. Reply here or PM me if you have any questions or criticisms.

That link isn't working anymore.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kashwashwa posted:

That link isn't working anymore.

Fixed: https://pastebin.com/0Kka3CGh

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Thanks

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I’m curious, did anyone play SimCity Creator for the Wii and DS? I haven’t played them myself but I’m reading a Wikipedia article and they look interesting. The Wii version looks like a normal SimCity game but you could choose which themes you want your city to have e.g. Egyptian, Las Vegas, Japanese etc and apparently it had a sequel to SimCopter built in where you could tour your city from a helicopter. The DS version looked to be a different game where you start off in the Stone Age building a small community and working your way up to a near future Megalopolis and again, you could stylize what your city theme would be as you advanced each age.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Decided to reinstall SimCity 4 on a whim the other day. After looking up video guides and finding this thread, I'm surprised to learn that the game was so buggy. I remember when I played it years ago, I actually managed to build a balanced (albeit small) city that I was able to let run on Cheetah Speed for a long time without doing anything, but I chalk that up to luck more than skill.

I installed NAM, along with a few other fixes, and while I don't know the extent of what's fixed, I know traffic is hell of a lot better, even without using the pieces NAM adds. I still have some weird issues though. At one point, I added an airport, and it became a huge crime zone. I added a police station nearby, but it made no difference. Eventually, I got rid of the airport, because I was losing money and needed to restore the industrial zoning that was originally there to get cash again.

I'm running out of room in the current sector I'm in. I've been trying to build up by zoning to high-density, and it's sort of working. I've been trying to reduce pollution by eliminating all the gas/coal power and replacing it with solar, but I can't seem to discourage Dirty Industry, despite jacking up the taxes for them. There's demand for High Tech Industry, but they don't seem to show up on the map.

I did find a suprising amount of Youtube content covering SC4. One is Rob's Red Hot Spot, who seems to have stopped updating roughly a year ago, but has a guide to Sim City 4, which includes info on what mods you should download.

-

Is there a thread for other city builder games and games like it? SimTower/Yoot Tower got mentioned a few pages back, but I was also thinking about the A-Train games, Cities Skyline, Afterlife, Caesar, etc.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
There’s a Cities Skylines thread, currently very active because the sequel just came out https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706710&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The management game megathread also covers a lot of city builders.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Max Wilco posted:

Decided to reinstall SimCity 4 on a whim the other day. After looking up video guides and finding this thread, I'm surprised to learn that the game was so buggy. I remember when I played it years ago, I actually managed to build a balanced (albeit small) city that I was able to let run on Cheetah Speed for a long time without doing anything, but I chalk that up to luck more than skill.

I had to replace my laptop in august and I cannot loving run sim city on it. The programming cannot handle the idea of multiple cpu cores (yes I did use sc4 launcher to drop it down to one) or a modern gpu.

Ea just make a sim city 4 that runs on modern computers I beg of you

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I had to replace my laptop in august and I cannot loving run sim city on it. The programming cannot handle the idea of multiple cpu cores (yes I did use sc4 launcher to drop it down to one) or a modern gpu.

EA posted:

Oops you're out of Builder Points and can't add more roads! Wait 30 minutes or buy the Sim City pass (500% value)!

Light commercial isn't available now. Try the Zoning Bundle (800% value)!

Limited time only! 10 bulldozer uses 1000% value!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah exactly. We don't need EA to make another Simcity, we need some indie to make a modern SC4.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think they meant a remaster that played nice on modern systems. Which I mean, maybe? EA isn't totally against actually decent remasters once in a blue moon, like the C&C remaster.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There is, lamentably, no way in hell EA would take the trouble unless they believed they could make a fortune through microtransactions and lootboxes.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

There is, lamentably, no way in hell EA would take the trouble unless they believed they could make a fortune through microtransactions and lootboxes.

Eh, EA aren't as bad as they were back when SimCity 2013 and Built It were released. Remember, John Riccitiello was the CEO of EA back when those games came out and he left and then immediately started to ruin Unity with their boneheaded charging developer per user install idea instead. EA's still full of greedy assholes for sure, but they greenlit a remake of Dead Space 1 without any bullshit and the remaster of C&C and Red Alert 1 without any bullshit. I could maybe see them do a remaster of SimCity 4 at some point just to see if there's any life in the series, especially when Cities Skylines 2 both sold well and also had a very mixed reception.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Which copy are you running (Steam/GOG/EA Origin)? I installed mine from Steam (on Windows 11), and it worked, so I set the CPU limit by going to the 'Properties' for the game in Steam and setting the CPU limit via the command arguments. Maybe there's some sort of conflict between Steam and the SC4 Launcher?

I've also been running it in a window, rather than full-screen. I tried doing a custom resolution, and maybe I just put it in wrong, but the game wouldn't launch.

It could be it's some weird oddity with the GPU, but I dunno how you'd fix that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah exactly. We don't need EA to make another Simcity, we need some indie to make a modern SC2K.

Fixed.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_03ubEtP1eA

And maybe make the water mechanics actually do something this time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll take SC4's 2.5D or 3K's sprite buildings over modern 3D zip zoom bullshit any day

also, my computer is old

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

I'll take SC4's 2.5D or 3K's sprite buildings over modern 3D zip zoom bullshit any day

also, my computer is old

Sprites 4 Lyfe :pcgaming:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
https://youtu.be/88Vh6z3OBJo

VGA 4 lyfe

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z10tSpgsk_g&t=320s

:sludgepal:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjYa_GxZD1I

Gotta love your typical loony SimSecretary of Transportation

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I've also been running it in a window, rather than full-screen. I tried doing a custom resolution, and maybe I just put it in wrong, but the game wouldn't launch.

there is a list somewhere of the acceptable custom resolutions but essentially you can’t set it to anything higher than 1920x1080.

I picked up SC4 recently too, in lieu of picking up Skylines 2, and have been watching a lot of Rob’s Red Hot Spot. I never played it much before but it’s really grown on me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think you can go above 1920x1080, it's just not advisable because the UI will be so tiny that you struggle to read anything on it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnWZqfUDXp8

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I liked his SimCity 2000 costume & cake.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I know there's a thread for it elsewhere but what is the dedicated SimCity thread's take on cities skylines 2?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Once the modding is out it should be pretty good. The base game has a lot of issues, some of which are bad design choices and some of which are bugs. So, basically the same as the first game. 2 has more long term potential, they removed the hard limits that CS1 had (eg building limits, agent limits, apparently the map can be expanded as much as you like, etc) and fixed some maddening issues that couldn't be modded around like lane behavior.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Which copy are you running (Steam/GOG/EA Origin)? I installed mine from Steam (on Windows 11), and it worked, so I set the CPU limit by going to the 'Properties' for the game in Steam and setting the CPU limit via the command arguments. Maybe there's some sort of conflict between Steam and the SC4 Launcher?

It could be it's some weird oddity with the GPU, but I dunno how you'd fix that.

Steam and then GOG. Last computer steam copy just broke after 200 hours but downloaded GOG and it worked up until the laptops hinge snapped so I have both

I can get to map screen sometimes but it crashes when I load a city

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

chainchompz posted:

I know there's a thread for it elsewhere but what is the dedicated SimCity thread's take on cities skylines 2?

CS2 has potential, released too early, mods and patches and DLC will make it good. It's got the cool agent base simulation stuff that SimCity never did.

On the other hand, Colossal Order can't capture the charm that maxis had, and they seem uncurious about cities in a way that maxis wasn't.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

chainchompz posted:

Check back in about 18 months. The game was pushed out the door long before it was ready even by a generous standard of "ready" and should be treated like a very Early Access title (shame about the AAA price tag though.)

This is Paradox which means you're going to be in for hundreds of dollars over the years. So unless you're really passionate about Skylines (in which case you preordered it) strongly advise just waiting a year or two and checking back to see where it stands with bugfixes and modding.

If Cities: Skylines 1 didn't grab you, C:S2 won't either. It's C:S but more so, not any kind of fundamental shift.

I reinstalled C:S1 a month ago and put 20 hours or so into it but it just doesn't hook me. I'm back to playing SC4 now for my modern cities fix and Songs of Syx for my city building/supply chain management fix.

piratepilates posted:

On the other hand, Colossal Order can't capture the charm that maxis had, and they seem uncurious about cities in a way that maxis wasn't.

Good way of putting it. CO has a narrower focus than Maxis did: their passion is traffic management.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 19, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah the game is sterile like the first one. I think the companies mechanic is attempting something like the personality Maxis had in its games but it completely fails. Colossal Order is someone with zero social skills trying to flirt.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the game is sterile like the first one. I think the companies mechanic is attempting something like the personality Maxis had in its games but it completely fails. Colossal Order is someone with zero social skills trying to flirt.

Chirper is an interesting one, everyone hates it, I think I read that it was the CEO's pet idea, yet if you remove it, you lose the only real connection to the humanity/gamey-ness of your city and it's citizens. Without it, you just have a simulation of faceless agents going around town and doing their agent simulation things, with only the annoying icons popping up saying the rent is too damned high.

SimCity games had the advisors and stuff, and newspapers, and if things got bad enough, you'd see your city visually degrade and get riots and stuff. Chirper is like the one thing that's kinda trying to give charm to what is otherwise a straightforward and sterile simulation.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's also got some really, really questionable parts of the sim. Residential taxes are bracketed based on education level, which is basically doubling down on a problem from CS1.

In general I've wondered a lot about the weird biases of these types of games.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Good to know. A buddy of mine got it, on gamepass and brought up some of those issues as well. I'm gonna wait awhile and check back on it- probably continue adding onto my giant XL island region in SC4. Haven't hit the "it's too big to load" limit yet but it takes a bit to load into a game and into a city tile. We're talking I fire up the game then go get a snack and maybe put some water on for tea, click the tile I want to build in then go finish the snack and let the tea steep before I even play.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

well i got sim city 4 to load up and play finally. despite this new computer being higher performance it cannot handle all the mods that the last one could. Son I started from scratch. Then downloaded a mod pack after getting impatient. Then had problem start again. Then randomly deleted mods until it loaded.

Playing the GrandFromage Mod Pack linked earlier without the mods from a-c Hong Kong ones, the NDEXs or l-m. Good to be back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

well i got sim city 4 to load up and play finally. despite this new computer being higher performance it cannot handle all the mods that the last one could. Son I started from scratch. Then downloaded a mod pack after getting impatient. Then had problem start again. Then randomly deleted mods until it loaded.

Playing the GrandFromage Mod Pack linked earlier without the mods from a-c Hong Kong ones, the NDEXs or l-m. Good to be back

May want to give these two threads a try:

https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/75599-indiana-joe-and-the-quest-for-the-ultimate-plugins-folder/

https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/762126-the-ultimate-guide-to-simcity-4-mods-for-new-players/

Good overviews of all the different fixes and basic mods out there, in case any of the modpacks from here are missing newer stuff.