Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That mod pack is my plugins folder from like a decade ago at least so for sure update all the mod parts. The buildings should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I got NAM CAM and managed to keep all the brand name real life stores when I got it to actually run without crashing size and I’m playing for the first time in 6 months. For right now I’m happy

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone have a good guide on how to take rail game to the next level? I’m stuck in a rut of sinking it 7.5 ms with the flex underpasses and concrete walls on the side. It looks kind of weird with the walls next to it and I’m also having trouble getting stations to where people can actually use them when I do this too

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Didn't see it posted here, but longtime SimCity fanatic LGR posted a look back on SC3K. It's my favourite in the series as well, because it hits that sweet spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MngTH_mh_Is

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Last time I had SC4 installed years ago, I built on just a single large tile which I terraformed from scratch by hand, and I can still remember the city that I built at the foot of a large mountain. With a very popular tram line along the main boulevard, the weirdly located airport partway up the slopes because there was nowhere else, managing to coax a particular residential zone into growing an extremely fancy CAM skyscraper that housed like an unreasonable number of wealthy sims, all that stuff.

I can remember different cities super clearly too, like one where I had an island I considered largely set as a nature reserve aside from a small town of about 4300 people (Bobcat Island was very cute!) or spending a stupidly long time drawing seawalls by placing down one tile at a time, or the time I built a massive nuclear power plant on its own tile capable of powering half a region (and then having to dick around in several different tiles in order to establish all the power deals properly.) I'm a big fan of CS1 but I can only think of one city I recall so clearly and fondly, the SimCity series was just on another level.

I know we say this every year but by god do we need 4 to be remastered or something. Every night I pray that someone is about to drop an OpenSC4 in the night and it's out in the world before a C&D can even get drafted. But at least EA seems to have chilled out a little on DLLs.

I just reinstalled 2, 3, and 4. Llamas abound.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd love an OpenCity, but one where the mechanics underneath are completely updated and in-line with all non-conflicting game mechanics, and it'd let you pick the visual style so you could switch between 2, 3, and 4.

Dammit, now I want this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I can't imagine ever picking the visual style of 2000 if either of the others were an option. What must be in any OpenCity game for it to be valid is the madlib newspapers. I don't care that newspapers have entered the long night of history. This is not negotiable.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This bomb was dropped in the Skylines thread, it definitely should be here:

Ms Adequate posted:

On another topic, someone just dropped another game-changer for SimCity 4: https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/763010-submenus-dll/

Submenus

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I can't imagine ever picking the visual style of 2000 if either of the others were an option. What must be in any OpenCity game for it to be valid is the madlib newspapers. I don't care that newspapers have entered the long night of history. This is not negotiable.

With the power of AI, especially given the potential nonsensical gently caress ups it would make, fake newspapers seem like a given.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

This bomb was dropped in the Skylines thread, it definitely should be here:

It is absolutely incredible that it took 20 years to figure out how to do this and that someone cared enough to figure out how to do this after 20 years

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Has Metropolis 1998 been brought up itt before? Sorry if it has. It's not OpenCity or whatever that could be but it is a thematic send-up of classic city builders.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I'm quite interested in that one. I love city builders (and tycoon games) that are in isometric 2D.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Sim City 4 holds a very special place in my heart. Maxis was one of a kind. However, I just can't get myself to play it. The problem is the endless commuter bug. It ruins the game for me. I'm not really able to play city builders anymore because Sim City 4 lets you have regions. You can have metropolises, you can have suburbs, you can have dead space, you can have small towns, you can have small farming communities. And, in theory, they all interact with each other because sims can commute to other areas of the map.

In theory its amazing, but after a while you notice that some sims are stuck in an infinite loop, causing cities to lose jobs, and buildings to become vacated, because of this bug. I seem to be the only person that is really bothered by this bug, but it just ruins the game for me. And modders are simply unable to fix it, not even with some clever workaround, since they don't have the source code. The only thing you can do is design regions so that each city connects to each other in a commuter tree that you really need to plan ahead for.

I dunno, am I the only one who is bothered by it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I hope the new DLL modding will let it be fixed, but no I don't find it a huge deal. Designing the region so it won't happen isn't too hard. I've found it really only happens when you have four cities connected in a loop, if you make sure there are at least six before a sim could loop and don't have the connections right at the corners it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Confession: I deal with it by using the No Dilapidation/No Abandonment mod.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope the new DLL modding will let it be fixed, but no I don't find it a huge deal. Designing the region so it won't happen isn't too hard. I've found it really only happens when you have four cities connected in a loop, if you make sure there are at least six before a sim could loop and don't have the connections right at the corners it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Do you mind elaborating, please? I'm having difficulty picturing that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Node posted:

Do you mind elaborating, please? I'm having difficulty picturing that.

Visual representation! The boxes are cities (I always play with large tiles only, for smaller this wouldn't work) and blue lines are road/rail.

Upper left is bad. The connections are toward the corners and commuters, especially with NAM, will happily travel that far. You're going to get infinity there.

Lower left is fine since there's no loop.

Right side is also, in my experience, fine. It's hard for a commuter to travel that far without finding a job, and keeping the connections close to the center of the edge helps too. If I were using NAM high speed rail I would not even connect that way, but with roads and regular rail I have never noticed anything weird happen.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Oh gently caress, I've got a few metro areas that do that. I might redesign a whole 4x6 urban area's connections.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

Visual representation! The boxes are cities (I always play with large tiles only, for smaller this wouldn't work) and blue lines are road/rail.

Upper left is bad. The connections are toward the corners and commuters, especially with NAM, will happily travel that far. You're going to get infinity there.

Lower left is fine since there's no loop.

Right side is also, in my experience, fine. It's hard for a commuter to travel that far without finding a job, and keeping the connections close to the center of the edge helps too. If I were using NAM high speed rail I would not even connect that way, but with roads and regular rail I have never noticed anything weird happen.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind whenever I play it next. Although I guess I can reserve a tiny amount of hope that they can find a way to fix the bug with this new DLL technique.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To explain in more detail, the infinite commuter loop bug is a consequence of having region play being only a rough approximation. Only the active city is actually loaded into memory, everything else is handwaved.
This means that for pathfinding purposes (namely, job search), the "distance to job" parameter for off-region jobs is only the distance to the connection. So if a Sim needs a job and the neighbor connection is closest, the connection will suck up that traffic. At this point the sim goes into limbo because as said before neighbors aren't actually simulated.

Now you load that neighbor city. The game will read all queued up traffic and calculate pathfinding for them. Notably, this does not keep track of the starting point or intended destination. It just sees a sim looking for a job that happens to be located at the edge of the region. If another neighbor connection is again the shortest path to a job, it'll happily send off that traffic there.

And then that happens again in the next city. And so on. The game has no idea it's back to the city where it started, so it'll keep looping around.

This is why it happens mostly when you've got corner connections and tight region loops. It can also be temporarily prevented by removing available jobs so the city can't advertise to neighboring cities.

One hack would be to have a DLL mod that changes the algorithm to add a large distance penalty to any off-region pathfinding, although that might have knock-on effects.
Pretty much any DLL fix would involve some delicate changes to the pathfinding and save/load behaviors, so I wouldn't expect any fixes anytime soon. It's totally happening eventually tho.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Kyte posted:

To explain in more detail, the infinite commuter loop bug is a consequence of having region play being only a rough approximation. Only the active city is actually loaded into memory, everything else is handwaved.
This means that for pathfinding purposes (namely, job search), the "distance to job" parameter for off-region jobs is only the distance to the connection. So if a Sim needs a job and the neighbor connection is closest, the connection will suck up that traffic. At this point the sim goes into limbo because as said before neighbors aren't actually simulated.

Now you load that neighbor city. The game will read all queued up traffic and calculate pathfinding for them. Notably, this does not keep track of the starting point or intended destination. It just sees a sim looking for a job that happens to be located at the edge of the region. If another neighbor connection is again the shortest path to a job, it'll happily send off that traffic there.

And then that happens again in the next city. And so on. The game has no idea it's back to the city where it started, so it'll keep looping around.

This is why it happens mostly when you've got corner connections and tight region loops. It can also be temporarily prevented by removing available jobs so the city can't advertise to neighboring cities.

One hack would be to have a DLL mod that changes the algorithm to add a large distance penalty to any off-region pathfinding, although that might have knock-on effects.
Pretty much any DLL fix would involve some delicate changes to the pathfinding and save/load behaviors, so I wouldn't expect any fixes anytime soon. It's totally happening eventually tho.

That's nice. Is anybody talking about doing that eventually, or do I need to make an account on the simtropolis forums and start whining about it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm sure people have been thinking about ways to solve it for years. Pathfinding can be adjusted already, NAM reworks it. It's the out of map abstraction part that makes it so hard. Funnily enough if SC4 used agents this would probably be an easy fix.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If SC4 used agents it wouldn't be SC4, not remotely. This is what I've been harping about in the C:S thread for years and I don't care if no one believes me, I am right :colbert:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My only complaint with the visual style of 2000 is the brown ground.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

If SC4 used agents it wouldn't be SC4, not remotely. This is what I've been harping about in the C:S thread for years and I don't care if no one believes me, I am right :colbert:

this

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Listening to the soundtrack on youtube and gently caress. It's so good. It's very Maxis-y. Especially the music when you're in god mode. What kind of genre do you even classify that as?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Simcore

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A lot of the sim game soundtracks are on Spotify.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
With the extra power afforded by modern computing, I wonder if some nutjob would make a DLL mod that simulates neighboring tiles in real time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

mutata posted:

A lot of the sim game soundtracks are on Spotify.

they pick a weird selection that imo doesn't include all the best tracks. there are some community playlists with everything at least

love this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX4HqntdXtE

also just peak jerry martin:
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22DFF37B18C4F943

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

incidentally, if you would like more of this kind of music from Jerry Martin i literally just like 5 minutes ago released a game with that in it:
https://mycophobia.org/tromi/
it's not a sim game so apologies for somewhat offtopic spam. but the music is really, really good.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

mycophobia posted:

incidentally, if you would like more of this kind of music from Jerry Martin i literally just like 5 minutes ago released a game with that in it:
it's not a sim game so apologies for somewhat offtopic spam. but the music is really, really good.

Congrats on releasing a game! It's very cool you got the Sim City 3 composer to do music for it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mycophobia posted:

I hope you don't mind my saying so, but for anyone just wanting to hear the music: it's in the directory structure as FLACs, so it's all playable from a standalone music player.

I played a little of the game, thanks for posting it for free, it's a very pleasant Tetris experience! And open source. I appreciate your work and the generosity of sharing it.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation

doctorfrog posted:

I hope you don't mind my saying so, but for anyone just wanting to hear the music: it's in the directory structure as FLACs, so it's all playable from a standalone music player.

I played a little of the game, thanks for posting it for free, it's a very pleasant Tetris experience! And open source. I appreciate your work and the generosity of sharing it.

can't exactly stop anyone from doing that.... but please do play the game :shobon:

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

mycophobia posted:

can't exactly stop anyone from doing that.... but please do play the game :shobon:

The game is really good and the music is awesome! How'd you get Jerry Martin?

I saw the download link was from archive.org, it took a bit to download I assume for that reason. Thanks for making it open source, ran instantly on Linux!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation

Retrograde posted:

The game is really good and the music is awesome! How'd you get Jerry Martin?

I saw the download link was from archive.org, it took a bit to download I assume for that reason. Thanks for making it open source, ran instantly on Linux!

he's been a freelance musician for hire since 2005, so i just shot him an email asking if he could do a couple sims build mode-style tracks for my particular budget and to my great surprise he responded. we exchanged emails for a few months and here we are. he's wanting to also release this music as part of a Sims Build Mode Volume 2 album so i think he was particularly receptive to the idea; he seemed utterly disinterested in whatever the hell i was using it for in any case lol. i doubt he even knows the name of my game tbh

and thanks for playing! it's on archive.org cuz im trying to stay on the lowest price tier for my hosting so i kinda wanted to avoid a bunch of ppl downloading 260MB over and over lol...

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

mycophobia posted:

he's been a freelance musician for hire since 2005, so i just shot him an email asking if he could do a couple sims build mode-style tracks for my particular budget and to my great surprise he responded. we exchanged emails for a few months and here we are. he's wanting to also release this music as part of a Sims Build Mode Volume 2 album so i think he was particularly receptive to the idea; he seemed utterly disinterested in whatever the hell i was using it for in any case lol. i doubt he even knows the name of my game tbh

and thanks for playing! it's on archive.org cuz im trying to stay on the lowest price tier for my hosting so i kinda wanted to avoid a bunch of ppl downloading 260MB over and over lol...

I think I've corresponded with him a few times via e-mail, he's always been nice to chat with. Looks like he did your music with someone named Juraj Stanik? He did the soundtrack for SimCasino which I think is his last release, been waiting for anything new from him since then.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Yeah, Jerry Martin is the composer and Juraj Stanik is the pianist

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

mycophobia posted:

Yeah, Jerry Martin is the composer and Juraj Stanik is the pianist

No sooner do I mention his new album then he drops it, just got an e-mail saying it's out:

Jerry Martin posted:

Hi,

This is Jerry Martin, music composer from The Sims and SimCity.

I finally finished my new album "Be Tonal". Wow! It sure took me along enough. (That's what happens when I don't have an actual deadline.)

Anyway, it's got a lot of cool tunes. I'm not sure what the genre would be.
I guess you'd call it "Future Jazz". I've always like to mix genres though.

On the Be Tonal page, I added a third tune to the previews called "Chill Resolve". You can also download the album credits from there.

I hope you like it!

Please get the album here: "Be Tonal"

Thanks,
Jerry

And if any of your friends want to sign up to my list, just send them to... boombamboom.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Oh neat. Could you post a link to that?