Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Which SimCity let you drive a tank and fire into your own town? It was either 3 or 4.

4: Rush hour. It had a feature called U-drive-it, that was basically Streets of Sim City lite. You could get a tank if you built the army base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I've been debating whether to start a Sim City 4 LP. What would be the best way to take screenshots in game. The ingame tools awful.

Probably run it in a VM sandbox like piratepilates mentioned and take screenshots of it running full screen in the VM window (Alt + PrtSc) and paste them straight into an image editor running on the host machine.

Another weird bit of trivia: One of the SC games had a scenario about wildfires in Oakland which was based on Will Wright's real life house burning down because of wildfires in Oakland.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think the thing I miss most in Skylines is that.... living(?) feeling of the neighborhoods in 3 & 4, where the wealth and prosperity of the neighborhood would change organically. Skylines is pretty, but so much more of a traffic sim then a city sim.

Really in the mood to do back and try 3 or 4 again.

'
From the page for Citystate.

quote:

- The game mechanics are based on today’s world economy. Policies’ effects try to mimic nations of the modern world and their intrinsic differences. Citystate is often politically incorrect and possibly biased.
- The game is specifically designed for mature audiences.

Uh...

Finally, a city builder aimed at.... mature... audiences? :raise:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 8, 2019

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

On an old laptop I have a region in SC4:RH that I "modded" to be like 50km x 80km wide or something ridiculously massive like that, and it's got a population in the millions. Took me forever just to customize the terrain before I even started building urban cores on different edges of the map, and then connected them by rail. I tried to build it by imagining a fictitious island nation that I'd want to live on. The NAM pack was the only mod I used, I think. This thread makes me want to fire it up for old time's sake.

One of my favorite things about SC:RH was that you could change the region size in MS-paint just by coloring the map file.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

frogge posted:

On an old laptop I have a region in SC4:RH that I "modded" to be like 50km x 80km wide or something ridiculously massive like that, and it's got a population in the millions. Took me forever just to customize the terrain before I even started building urban cores on different edges of the map, and then connected them by rail. I tried to build it by imagining a fictitious island nation that I'd want to live on. The NAM pack was the only mod I used, I think. This thread makes me want to fire it up for old time's sake.

One of my favorite things about SC:RH was that you could change the region size in MS-paint just by coloring the map file.

Thats how you changed the city map sizes. Region sizes you add pixels.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Actually importing .bmps as map files was very tedious and broken, and it was better to use a third party program to create a map file for you out of a satellite image, it was a laborious process, as was installing all of the mods.

I recovered another small screenshot from an anime-rear end city that I built once out of Japanese SC4 mods, I remember that this city was particularly cool and I wish I still had a bigger screenshot of it:

The thing on the left was this massive skyscraper that dwarfed the rest of the city.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fintilgin posted:

I think the thing I miss most in Skylines is that.... living(?) feeling of the neighborhoods in 3 & 4, where the wealth and prosperity of the neighborhood would change organically. Skylines is pretty, but so much more of a traffic sim then a city sim.

'

Uh...

It seems like one of those games you know exactly who made it

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
SimAnt was great at the time but it's pretty hard to play now. SimTower seemed fun but I could never quite figure out how to generate profits and grow the building without stupid numbers of condos. And the elevators became a bitch.

Anyway, all of this stuff lead to the great disappointment known as Spore. :negative:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SimEarth was cool for letting you terraform places, I've always wanted a modern game that lets you play with atmospheric gases and seed life or create some kind of bizarre alien world.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Shibawanko posted:

SimEarth was cool for letting you terraform places, I've always wanted a modern game that lets you play with atmospheric gases and seed life or create some kind of bizarre alien world.

SimIsle!

I've still got that one on CD.

Sadly it's 16 bit, so only that ancient 1994 laptop I found a few months ago can actually run the drat thing.

Good times.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RagnarokZ posted:

SimIsle!

I've still got that one on CD.

Sadly it's 16 bit, so only that ancient 1994 laptop I found a few months ago can actually run the drat thing.

Good times.

Really? Can't DOSBox play it?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

'

Uh...

Finally I can make Tit City as I always imagined it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Citystate has some neat ideas if it wasn't made by a nerdonazi.

like, for example, it is the only city builder I've ever played to model population separately from homes, which is to say it is possible to have overcrowding and homelessness. it also models informal housing, i.e. homeless people setting up semipermanent encampments, and if you've got a ton of migration to the city it's possible to end up with these huge sprawling shantytowns as people for whom there is no room in your residential zones just build housing on their own.

the game very much reflects the politics of the dude who made it, though, like, this is a game very clearly made by somebody who thinks immigration is capital-b Bad and using walls and soldiers to control illegal immigration is a whole mechanic. also trickle-down economics is an objective fact in the game's economic simulation, the country will not develop past a certain point if there are no rich people. you can in theory use your policies to create a utopia where everyone is happy and prosperous and wealthy, but it will stagnate and die because buildings literally cannot develop past a certain point if there is not an upper class of people significantly wealthier than everyone else, regardless of how wealthy everyone is on average.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Really? Can't DOSBox play it?

there is a DOS version of the game but most retail CD copies only have the Windows version which will not run in DOS. the DOS version does run just fine in DOSBox though.

I just installed the Old Fashioned pack (thank you very much for finding that by the way, poster who did that!) and am about to dive back in, I've been playing a bunch of Cities Skylines but it just isn't scratching the itch quite like Sim City does.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I played the ever loving gently caress out of Sim City 3000 as a kid.

One of my earliest gaming memories is having my babysitter convince me that slashing taxes to nothing and removing all the positive ordinances would get my city out of the growth slump it was in. ...Said city went broke nearly immediately after.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

4: Rush hour. It had a feature called U-drive-it, that was basically Streets of Sim City lite. You could get a tank if you built the army base.

There was also a "Streets of Sim City" that you could play a knock off GTA like in your cities from Sim City 2000.

It was really bad though.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Deki posted:

I played the ever loving gently caress out of Sim City 3000 as a kid.

One of my earliest gaming memories is having my babysitter convince me that slashing taxes to nothing and removing all the positive ordinances would get my city out of the growth slump it was in. ...Said city went broke nearly immediately after.
"And that, little Daki, is why conservatism is bad and you should promote community improvements and tax the life out of the rich."

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Shibawanko posted:

The final two are from the same city, you can see the same tower in the lower left corner, the trees changed seasons. I was a bit of an amateur at the time and didn't do enough to prune similar buildings. I made way crazier ones, especially some of my countryside maps, but these are the only ones I could find.

This is what I mean when I say that I don't like Cities Skylines. 3D and individual agents lead to having to sacrifice too much in terms of city size and visual detail.

Yeah, I could never get into Skylines for the same reason. Building a mega region in 4 was so drat fun. I wish the game wasn't so loving unstable. It crashes every 30 minutes at max for me. It also starts to chug if you start getting a really big city

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I always played SimCity largely as a traffic management game, so Cities in Motion was great for me.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

Citystate has some neat ideas if it wasn't made by a nerdonazi.

like, for example, it is the only city builder I've ever played to model population separately from homes, which is to say it is possible to have overcrowding and homelessness. it also models informal housing, i.e. homeless people setting up semipermanent encampments, and if you've got a ton of migration to the city it's possible to end up with these huge sprawling shantytowns as people for whom there is no room in your residential zones just build housing on their own.

the game very much reflects the politics of the dude who made it, though, like, this is a game very clearly made by somebody who thinks immigration is capital-b Bad and using walls and soldiers to control illegal immigration is a whole mechanic. also trickle-down economics is an objective fact in the game's economic simulation, the country will not develop past a certain point if there are no rich people. you can in theory use your policies to create a utopia where everyone is happy and prosperous and wealthy, but it will stagnate and die because buildings literally cannot develop past a certain point if there is not an upper class of people significantly wealthier than everyone else, regardless of how wealthy everyone is on average.

Haven't played Citystate in awhile and last time I played I was wondering what was up with the weird updates to immigration related stuff. If it weren't for the creator's political biases on that and the need for billionaires it would actually be a decent simulator. At least I got it during a sale for like 25% its normal price so weirdochud didn't get too much of my money.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I made a huge tourism beach and district that had hundreds of abandoned buildings and twenty rotating ones that had anything in it because it just doesn't care about it at all by default so like 100 tourists are all you get.

That happens to me anytime I build a Jersey Shore style beach resort in SC4, I don't put industry in because it feels wrong and only zone commercial along the beachfront avenue and their always ends up being too high a population and everyone's unemployed.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The trick to playing SC4 and having it easy is to just beeline for high tech industry. Just raise the industry tax on everything but high tech to the maximum so they don't pop up, build some residential zones and all of the educational and other services plus commercial zones, reduce the budget to whatever's appropriate, do a few u-drive-it missions when your treasury gets too low (build a hospital so you can do the easy helicopter mission for 20.000 simoleons) and wait till you get an educated population.

Build an adjacent city according to the same principles if you feel like your city is growing too slowly and you need more income.

Once your population is educated your high tech industry will suddenly fill up with buildings which all pay very good tax revenue, your citizens will become high income and also pay high taxes, and everything suddenly becomes easy as you can simply start every subsequent city straight from high tech, skipping low tech and manufacturing entirely.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Then once you have your lovely silicon valley clone you can get to the meat of the game: developing the countryside with babbling brooks, rustling streams and rustic farmhouses with fields lined with trees and local railroads with brick embankments

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Animal-Mother posted:

Anyway, all of this stuff lead to the great disappointment known as Spore. :negative:

drat, you just made me remember that Sim Mars never saw the light of day...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

SimTower seemed fun but I could never quite figure out how to generate profits and grow the building without stupid numbers of condos. And the elevators became a bitch.

Building condos in SimTower is pissing your pants. You get some near-instant cash from the sale, but after that they're only producing expenses via infrastructure upkeep, they never pay any fees, and if the residents of the condo want to move out they sell it back to you causing negative cash flow?? Basically they're just a weird way of taking out a loan.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What are the major improvements, besides graphics, in 3k over 2k? I grew up with 2k and have immense nostalgia for it but I did play a bit of 3. Just wondering if I should stick with 2k since this thread has me wanting to play again, or if 3 really is better and I am just being a nostalgia-blinded grandpa.

Also slight correction for the OP; unless I am grossly misremembering, 2k had tilesets you could choose between so you could get like futuristic cities or presumably East Asian style ones. I definitely recall the former.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Also slight correction for the OP; unless I am grossly misremembering, 2k had tilesets you could choose between so you could get like futuristic cities or presumably East Asian style ones. I definitely recall the former.

That's a SCURK feature, the original SC2k version didn't have that but later versions did.

There'a also SimCity 2000 Network Edition, the failed and forgotten experiment.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I liked the graphics packs for SC1 even if they didn't really amount to much

It's still a moon colony to me, drat it

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SimEarth looks really really cool.

What's the best way to play it nowadays?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

SimEarth looks really really cool.

What's the best way to play it nowadays?

I just played the SNES version, I remember that emulators don't handle one bit of the game very well: the world map screen is hosed up because it's rendered in some mode 7 type thing which wasn't properly handled last time I tried, but that might be fixed now. In any case the game still works even with that problem.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Do you guys put -CPUCount:1 in the launch arguments for SimCity 4? It's still far from perfect but that made the game significantly less crashy for me. Apparently SC4 does NOT like multithreading.

Also for SimCity 3000, you should definitely install this if you haven't already: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-SimCity-3000-Resolution-Patcher

And also see this: http://www.wsgf.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=28001

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 19, 2019

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Animal-Mother posted:

SimAnt was great at the time but it's pretty hard to play now. SimTower seemed fun but I could never quite figure out how to generate profits and grow the building without stupid numbers of condos. And the elevators became a bitch.

I remember being super hype for spore and doing all sorts of forum games on Gamefaqs for spore waiting for it to come out...

...I actually still kind of liked it but drat if it wasn't a major disappointment.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'd forgotten that I actually own Simcity 2000 for snes. I tried it and it's terrible!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What are the major improvements, besides graphics, in 3k over 2k? I grew up with 2k and have immense nostalgia for it but I did play a bit of 3. Just wondering if I should stick with 2k since this thread has me wanting to play again, or if 3 really is better and I am just being a nostalgia-blinded grandpa.

3K had deals you could make with your neighbours, like buying/selling excess power, water, or garbage capacity. There were often petitioners that could come to you with deals or their complaints that you could act on. This could be anything from allowing gambling or free parking, to getting high-profit with side effect industrial parks you could build. I think other than that, it was mostly a case of more-of-everything.

2K had the tilesets. Not sure if 3K has similar.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

3K had deals you could make with your neighbours, like buying/selling excess power, water, or garbage capacity. There were often petitioners that could come to you with deals or their complaints that you could act on. This could be anything from allowing gambling or free parking, to getting high-profit with side effect industrial parks you could build. I think other than that, it was mostly a case of more-of-everything.

2K had the tilesets. Not sure if 3K has similar.

3k definitely had tilesets that I never used.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah 3K has futuristic tilesets and east Asian tilesets too.

Also it's possible to run the Windows 95 CD version of 2K on modern operating systems, you just need a third party installer as the one included on the CD is 16 bit which can't run in 64 bit Windows. It does natively support widescreen though, unlike the DOS version sold on GOG.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This is why SimCity 2000 was the greatest

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Do you guys put -CPUCount:1 in the launch arguments for SimCity 4? It's still far from perfect but that made the game significantly less crashy for me. Apparently SC4 does NOT like multithreading.

Also for SimCity 3000, you should definitely install this if you haven't already: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-SimCity-3000-Resolution-Patcher

And also see this: http://www.wsgf.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=28001

I don't but now I want to. How do I do this specifically?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Make a shortcut that points to your SimCity4.exe, then create a shortcut to it, right click the shortcut -> Properties, and the target will be listed as "C:\{whatever}\SimCity4.exe". At the end of that (after a space) add -CPUCount:1

My shortcut target looks like this:

code:
"C:\SimCity4\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CPUCount:1 -intro:off -w -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080
(also turns the intro off and runs it in a 1920x1080 window)

If you're running it through Steam, then you can't use a shortcut to run it and instead do yourself a favor and buy it on GOG insteadthere's an option to add arguments if you right click on the game title in your Library and hit Properties.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Eric the Mauve posted:

The adlibs newspapers were always great.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eric the Mauve posted:

I swear there was a sentence that could generate in a disaster was "An old guy died." I've been using that ever since to describe something bad but light-hearted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

4 was great. I have no memory of it as a game, but as a bonsai city maker it is still sadly unmatched.

In fifth grade I convinced my teacher that SC2K was educational and we spent class time playing it for like a month.

In retrospect that was where my life peaked and it's all been downhill since.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 20, 2019