Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yes there is. Months back, I downloaded a zip that had the original Sims plus all of the expansions and installed it on my Windows 10 machine. It was a bit buggy but it worked pretty well. I just don't remember now where I found it, unfortunately.

e: It's on archive.org. Just search online for 'sims 1 complete'.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I have found that the OG sims and 2 really show their age. I've been playing 4 on gamepass and its not that bad.

Also just reinstalled SC4. I had it, but had some mod that hosed up the install and never figured out what it was so i just wiped it to reinstall. I I think i have more hours in it over the past 20 years than every other game combined. I thought it just didn't want to run on my computer, but reinstalling it off steam with no mods runs just fine, and just NAM works fine. I'm downloading the grandfromage megapack rn cause that's the era of SC4 I remember, but I'll probably ditch CAM. SPAM is the farming mod I'm used to, and it fixes most of the same issues that the CAM farms do. I'm just personally not a fan of the changes that CAM brings, but i can see why others like them. SPAM works better with the way i like to zen garden my cities.

So for anyone else who's either just getting back, or is just getting into sc4, rather than the CAM farms mod, there also exists https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26080-simpeg-agricultural-mod-spam/. Does most of the same stuff in that it fixes the incomplete farm system and makes it functional, but has a different look/feel to the CAM farms with different lots available.

It's 100% personal preference, and from what I recall, the mod developer Pegasus is kinda a douche who wouldn't let his mods be on one of the big two databases because of *drama*, but I prefer the lots that work with it more than the ones that work with CAM.

You definitely need some kind of farm mod, that is a must if you want to do any kind of rural area. Farms were a crunch time casuality that never got properly implemented, and thus don't work in the same tiles that have pretty much anything else.

things like this are why i wish EA would just throw like...a mil to a remaster/rerelease of 4. Just shiny it up a little, patch all the bugs, and they could just straight up print money if they created a roblox-ish economy where you pay real money for in game currency that is used to buy mods from a central DB. They literally have to do nothing but pretty it up, patch it up, and make modding really really easy, but have a propritery file format so that you have to put it on their DB and get it from them. modders are already accustomed to doing it for free, them getting paid in game currency that they can use to buy other mods is even better. make it free to play, and just rake in money hand over fist from the mod community. You can play vanilla for free, but no one wants to play vanilla.Honestly, even if they had to redo it from the ground up to run on modern architecture, given that the meat and bones of the simulation ran on pentiums, it won't take an extreme amount of development resoures, the part everybody really wants just has to be rewritten to work with today, they don't have to reinvent the wheel, just figure out how to get it on a new axle.

Even the always-online concept would get a lot less pushback now compared to 2013, its just sort of an accepted part of life these days. They could turn the community into the revenue generator for the game and a lot of people would jump all over it because there just isnt anything else that does the simulation as well as SC4.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the entire sc4 mod scene seems comprised of crazy people. i also remember pegasus was one of the more insane ones

i remember reading some sc4devotion drama where a mod threatened to sue a guy for having a parachute account

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The second one (in full rez, these are both small) is the one I use as a guide while building.

Unfortunate the seasonal trees don't match up but I'm not crazy enough (yet) to pick a season for saving in.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 12, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

has anyone ever investigated why all of the sc4 mods end in "AM"???

AA is for Quitters posted:

things like this are why i wish EA would just throw like...a mil to a remaster/rerelease of 4. Just shiny it up a little, patch all the bugs, and they could just straight up print money if they created a roblox-ish economy where you pay real money for in game currency that is used to buy mods from a central DB. They literally have to do nothing but pretty it up, patch it up, and make modding really really easy, but have a propritery file format so that you have to put it on their DB and get it from them. modders are already accustomed to doing it for free, them getting paid in game currency that they can use to buy other mods is even better. make it free to play, and just rake in money hand over fist from the mod community. You can play vanilla for free, but no one wants to play vanilla.Honestly, even if they had to redo it from the ground up to run on modern architecture, given that the meat and bones of the simulation ran on pentiums, it won't take an extreme amount of development resoures, the part everybody really wants just has to be rewritten to work with today, they don't have to reinvent the wheel, just figure out how to get it on a new axle.

Even the always-online concept would get a lot less pushback now compared to 2013, its just sort of an accepted part of life these days. They could turn the community into the revenue generator for the game and a lot of people would jump all over it because there just isnt anything else that does the simulation as well as SC4.

also why are you wishing up a predatory version of sc4. it would not, in fact, be better to have to pay for mods while the modders get paid in company funbux instead of real money

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 12, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The amount of jargon in SC4 modding is pretty nuts. Even as tuned into it as I am I have no idea what the gently caress people are talking about half the time. The NAM documentation is incomprehensible gibberish.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i want a moddable simcity game in something like the brigador engine

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Jazerus posted:

has anyone ever investigated why all of the sc4 mods end in "AM"???

also why are you wishing up a predatory version of sc4. it would not, in fact, be better to have to pay for mods while the modders get paid in company funbux instead of real money

Mostly because sc4 is a buggy, janky mess that got rushed out the door, but is 100% hands down the *best* game that is out there in the genre. EA refuses to do anything with the IP since SC2013 crashed and burned so hard. At least something that would print them money might actually get them to remaster it, especially cause every community attempt to do an OpenTTD/yoouttower kind of thing with SC gets smacked down by EA's lawyers. SC4 is getting to the point where its so old its straight up refusing to run on a lot of newer stuff, even the GOG/Steam versions, so to keep it alive it pretty much needs to be rereleased with updates. EA won't remaster a 20 year old game with an incredibly niche community that are, however, exceptionally devoted to it and are willing to invest a decent chunk of change into cosmetics.

and AM is just "Addon Mod" so CAM is Collosus Addon Mod, SPAM is SimPeg Agricultural Mod (cause again, pegasus is/was more batshit than the rest of the mod community and had to be different), NAM is Network Addon Mod, etc.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I just got a feeling, that a modding community this devoted won't budge and get the remaster, because they'll lose decades of hard work.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Skylines has a robust mod community. I think if a remaster was actually better, fixed all the problems and opened up modding so you could actually alter fundamental things in the game rather than having to do crazy workarounds, people would go for it. Especially if buildings made for SC4 could be imported right into it with no/minimal fuss.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Skylines has a robust mod community. I think if a remaster was actually better, fixed all the problems and opened up modding so you could actually alter fundamental things in the game rather than having to do crazy workarounds, people would go for it. Especially if buildings made for SC4 could be imported right into it with no/minimal fuss.

agreed.

The only real way to make money off of a single player game with no real endgame content is through cosmetics. so long as they don't price things ridiculously Something like $1 is 100 simoleons, and a .bat costs like, 10 simoleons, something like NAM would be like 500, that kind of stuff, with a F2P base game i think would go over pretty well with the community. The same $20 to buy it off steam would instead buy you a massive plugins folder, and this way people could spend what is comfortable to their wallets.

It'd also i think breed a lot of creativity, and breathe new life into the community if EA would manage things well and encourage sharing of what you build, while also encouraging people to keep throwing money at it rather than a one-and-done purchase.

But that would require EA to actually manage a community well, and price things right, which i have zero faith in ever happening.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

To be clear I think a version where mods cost money would not go over well at all. There was a prominent modder just a few months back who tried to start selling buildings through a Patreon and I've never seen the SC4 community unite to drag someone like that before. He stopped real quick.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i am fine with the idea of EA selling cosmetic architecture packs developed in-house. honestly i would maybe even buy a few if it was clear that they integrated well with each other and with the base game. and if they sourced some of these from modders (i.e. through commission - not by co-opting existing free packs the modders had developed) and paid them in real rear end dollars, all the better

but the idea of EA selling me SC4 gameplay improvements that they didn't create, which are not necessarily intercompatible or polished, and paying the creators of those things in funbux? no thank you, i will simply wrestle this 20 year old game into submission instead

i don't really have a problem with modders having patreons tho. depends on how they go about it i guess, early access to new mods and updates seems fine, permanent exclusivity not so much

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

idk, i just don't see EA revisiting the IP without there being serious money printing ability, and i just don't see how else they could monetize it into an ongoing revenue stream otherwise.

The ideal situation is EA allowing for an open source version of sc4 to exist without smashing it down, like OpenTTD. In an ideal world, EA would realize that the market has completely changed, and that they'll never be able to really make a profit off of simcity ever again, and that by letting a 20 year old game be rebuilt open source would let the community view them in a positive light. Even a compromise version, where EA gives the ok to a rebuilt version that requires the original to be installed a la a full conversion mod, but actually works right, would be amazing.

I'm actually really surprised given how devoted some of the community is that there arent people trying to do a clean room reverse engineering of SC4 like they did with OoT.

There's just so many wonky workarounds to get it running that it feels like we're back 30 years ago having to set irq flags and poo poo and rolling dice and praying to deities to get this game to work on modern hardware that it really, really needs to be remastered because there isn't anything else on earth that does the same thing as perfectly as SC4 does. The ideal situation is EA acknowledging this, and just letting the community do OpenSC4.

Since EA would never do that though, some kind of marketplace sort of thing would be the sort of thing that absolutely would get EA to make the investment into remastering it. I just dont see a version that works out of the gate with current hardware ever happening any other way.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Jazerus posted:

i don't really have a problem with modders having patreons tho. depends on how they go about it i guess, early access to new mods and updates seems fine, permanent exclusivity not so much

Y'know, this brings up an interesting point for me. Patreon isn't forced compensation. Even if they paywall nightly builds or something, it's still optional for the the mod at large.

Then you have the Minecraft whackjobs that stick poo poo behind adf.ly or even paywall mods (I think that happened once or twice). And then there's the unnecessary sex mods for like...everything. :gonk:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This guy changed his releases to paywall only. I don't think anyone cares if you're releasing for free and also have a Patreon.

The most difficult modding segment is Japan though, since there aren't any Japanese SC4 sites that still update and Japanese creators don't put their stuff on LEX or Simtropolis. To get new Japan content you have to find the modders on Twitter and wait for them to post Dropbox links.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

These are not my pics, but I wish they were.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Reticulating wines.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

:vince: I want it just to display it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kevyn posted:

Reticulating wines.

YOU WILL REGRET THIS

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
sim city 3000 is the best video game to have ever existed imo

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

sim city 3000 is the best video game soundtrack to have ever existed but sim city 4 is the best video game to have ever existed imo

:colbert:

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
One of the first things I do on my yearly SimCity 4 reinstall is add the 3k soundtrack.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

simcity 4 also has a better soundtrack besides being the better game

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

simcity 4 also has a better soundtrack besides being the better game

I see your argument and raise you "Night Life", "UpDown Town", and "Window Washers Dream" (even though it wasn't Jerry Martin). Jerry Martin is to video games as John Williams is to cinema for me; he consistently composes some of my absolute favorite pieces of video game music across the Maxis/EA catalog. Every song can conjure, if not a specific memory of a moment in-game, at least a very strong recollection of the game itself.

When I listen to the Sims soundtrack, listening to the Build Mode tracks in particular brings up vivid memories of the very first time I played, the snarky 70-page manual that I read cover-to-cover until it fell apart, the utter fascination of building a loving house from the walls up. Bob and Betty Newbie pop into my head right next to Mortimer and Bella Goth, and Murgatroid Sludgecakes from the loving manual.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
SC4 is obviously the better (still the best in existence) city simulator, but I do regularly find myself gravitating toward SC3000. That game is so polished and fun.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Gotta have both OSTs playing for complete heavenly experience. Just import the mp3s to either game ya numbnuts

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

D34THROW posted:

I see your argument and raise you "Night Life", "UpDown Town", and "Window Washers Dream" (even though it wasn't Jerry Martin). Jerry Martin is to video games as John Williams is to cinema for me; he consistently composes some of my absolute favorite pieces of video game music across the Maxis/EA catalog. Every song can conjure, if not a specific memory of a moment in-game, at least a very strong recollection of the game itself.

When I listen to the Sims soundtrack, listening to the Build Mode tracks in particular brings up vivid memories of the very first time I played, the snarky 70-page manual that I read cover-to-cover until it fell apart, the utter fascination of building a loving house from the walls up. Bob and Betty Newbie pop into my head right next to Mortimer and Bella Goth, and Murgatroid Sludgecakes from the loving manual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8HW5agFwUY this was my favorite from simcity 4

honestly when i play games i tend to turn down the games' music and just put on like brubeck or bill evans or something in the background and listen to the game soundtrack while i'm doing something else

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

sim city 3000 is the best video game to have ever existed imo

Me, sweating, gun to my head, unable to choose between 2000 or 3000

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8HW5agFwUY this was my favorite from simcity 4

honestly when i play games i tend to turn down the games' music and just put on like brubeck or bill evans or something in the background and listen to the game soundtrack while i'm doing something else

Yeah I either have TV or podcasts/audiobooks going when playing something like SimCity, I haven't heard the music in ages.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I've got the itch to play sc4 again. Is there a way to make even larger regions so I'm not capped at 25x25 large city tiles? I feel like making a straight up Vancouver island sized region.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Theoretically a region can be of arbitrary size but you really start getting into performance issues if it's too big. Like loading doesn't work properly and gets crashy. I wouldn't go over 20x20 large tiles.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Mine is only 8x8 large tiles and it already takes like 5 minutes to load

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Grand Fromage posted:

Theoretically a region can be of arbitrary size but you really start getting into performance issues if it's too big. Like loading doesn't work properly and gets crashy. I wouldn't go over 20x20 large tiles.

I tried editing a config file larger than 25Lx25L and my PC crapped out on it every time.

Also I don't think I thanked you for linking the region census ages back, thanks!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah the problem is the RAM requirements go up as the region gets bigger, and since SC4 is old it's only able to use 4 GB of RAM (and that requires using the 4 GB patch). If it were remade with modern programming that could use multiple cores, all the RAM you can throw at it, and the full capabilities of a GPU you could really go nuts.

My current one is 16x10 and works reasonably well.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Shibawanko posted:

i want a moddable simcity game in something like the brigador engine

Yes

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Happy 20th anniversary to SimCity 4, goons. May your cities never choke on the 10 GB of plugins you installed.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I took a long time digesting SimCity 4 stuff on simtropolis and the pc gaming wiki (made a few edits to the latter, too) to come up with a sorta "ultimate vanilla" setup. My focus was mainly on getting the base game with most of the minor bugfixes that weren't straight up game-changing or cheats, and assembling the tools needed to do custom regions and terrains. NAM was included in my vanilla base install, even though I have very little clue what it actually does, since it was recommended literally everywhere I looked.

Going for a vanilla experience required a surprising amount of work, since many mod recommendations and bugfixes are very personal to the individual playing. One example was a necessary-looking "bugfix" for crime, in which the mod developer was displeased that "out of control" crime in larger cities couldn't be 100% completely stamped out by dropping a police station on top of it. When I went looking for background info on it, it had been filed under "cheats" in Simtropolis.

In the end I mostly stuck with the PCGamingWiki page, following up with some searches and sideroads on Simtropolis to make sure my choices weren't too old or irrelevant, and updating the wiki wth my findings. I also browsed Simtropolis for various newbie threads.

So, if anyone is interested in what I uncovered, here are my raw notes. Reply here or PM me if you have any questions or criticisms.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 13, 2023

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
please please re-release/master this game :negative:

it's a hosed up masterpiece and i just want it to be made better and actually playable for an old man

Zoobtro fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zoobtro posted:

please please re-release/master this game :negative:

it's a hosed up masterpiece and i just want it to be made better and actually playable for an old man

We need opensc5 with better transect zoning.