Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My computer science teacher was convinced that Delta Force was education and he let us play it in class every time and he'd join in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is why SimCity 2000 was the greatest

In the grim darkness of 2526, there is only war.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Grand Fromage posted:

4 was great. I have no memory of it as a game, but as a bonsai city maker it is still sadly unmatched.

In fifth grade I convinced my teacher that SC2K was educational and we spent class time playing it for like a month.

In retrospect that was where my life peaked and it's all been downhill since.

For me, it was grade 4, and 'Cross Country Canada', which ended up with my school buying some sort of bulk license and installing it on ALL of the brand new computers. That was awesome.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is why SimCity 2000 was the greatest

Hahahhaha more please

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For me, it was grade 4, and 'Cross Country Canada', which ended up with my school buying some sort of bulk license and installing it on ALL of the brand new computers. That was awesome.

Was that the truck driver game? We had the USA version of that, I think.

I'm also here as "shameful huge number of hours clocked in SNES SimCity."

Also PC 2000 and SC4. And Skylines. I skipped 3k, somehow.

I think Skylines is a perfectly cromulent citybuilder, but I have a hard time getting back into it after having been away for a while. It lacks some kind of element of obfuscation, maybe? I think I feel like I have a little too much control over the simulation, compared to simcity games, so it sometimes feels more like some kind of art tool that results in a city.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

deadly_pudding posted:

Was that the truck driver game? We had the USA version of that, I think.

I'm also here as "shameful huge number of hours clocked in SNES SimCity."

Also PC 2000 and SC4. And Skylines. I skipped 3k, somehow.

I think Skylines is a perfectly cromulent citybuilder, but I have a hard time getting back into it after having been away for a while. It lacks some kind of element of obfuscation, maybe? I think I feel like I have a little too much control over the simulation, compared to simcity games, so it sometimes feels more like some kind of art tool that results in a city.

Cities Skylines and its agent system or whatever where each citizen has to be simulated instead of an abstract demographic misses the most important point of SimCity. Its all about making your number as big as possible and is essentially an extremely elaborate cookie clicker.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Sim City SNES soundtrack is permanently seared into my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxSYzCesxfU

Fortunately its a really good soundtrack for the era/hardware.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Here's a very good guided museum audio tour of the soundtrack:
https://soundcloud.com/retronauts-1/retronauts-micro-020-the-sounds-of-snes-simcity

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 22, 2019

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I was describing Streets of SimCity to a friend, and looked for a video to show him. If you had asked me a week ago what the music was like in that game, I would have been unable to answer you at all. Found a video, watched it to see if it was representative, and this starts rolling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7a6EK1aIFY

My head was immediately bobbing along.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Vavrek posted:

I was describing Streets of SimCity to a friend, and looked for a video to show him. If you had asked me a week ago what the music was like in that game, I would have been unable to answer you at all. Found a video, watched it to see if it was representative, and this starts rolling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7a6EK1aIFY

My head was immediately bobbing along.

The menu music is 1-2 Koji Kondo without the end bit. Just the rhythm.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I finally got a megalopolis some time ago in the SNES game. I did it by choosing the perfect map and building really efficiently, I had to use the fast forward button a lot. Me and my friend who owned the game as a kid used to try to get a megalopolis all the time but it seemed impossible. It really takes a shitload of time and even with the fast forward button it's a huge chore to actually get there. The Mario statue is cool though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shibawanko posted:

I finally got a megalopolis some time ago in the SNES game. I did it by choosing the perfect map and building really efficiently, I had to use the fast forward button a lot. Me and my friend who owned the game as a kid used to try to get a megalopolis all the time but it seemed impossible. It really takes a shitload of time and even with the fast forward button it's a huge chore to actually get there. The Mario statue is cool though.

It's one of those things, too, where you don't necessarily understand in like 5th grade that the best thing to do in a lot of cases for like this whole genre is to let the game sit and gin up money. When you're a kid you wanna be always building More City.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

It's one of those things, too, where you don't necessarily understand in like 5th grade that the best thing to do in a lot of cases for like this whole genre is to let the game sit and gin up money. When you're a kid you wanna be always building More City.

Yeah it has some mechanic where it has to "cap out" whatever capacity you've built, there's also some other unseen factors like the number of stadiums and other stuff, the game just doesn't really make much sense

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yeah, as an adult it is very easy to understand that building a stable city and letting it grow gradually is the way to win; it's also much easier to accomplish. You really just have to steward your city to the point that you'll have enough cash on hand to rebuild your power plant in '51, after that you can turn off disasters, walk away and let things grow organically for a while.

Speaking of rebuilding, I never tried SC3K as a kid, or even wanted to, because one review I read said that water pumps in the sequel also had a 50 year lifespan. Since adequate water management was already a living nightmare in SC2K the idea of micromanging it even further was an instant turn-off.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I always thought the water pipes were stupid, unlike transportation there's no mechanisms or efficiency to consider, you just need to cover all tiles, it added nothing at all. Also probably my least favorite part of 4 since every time you go underground and back above ground your entire city has to reload, possibly crashing the game if the city is huge

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Shibawanko posted:

I always thought the water pipes were stupid, unlike transportation there's no mechanisms or efficiency to consider, you just need to cover all tiles, it added nothing at all. Also probably my least favorite part of 4 since every time you go underground and back above ground your entire city has to reload, possibly crashing the game if the city is huge

Integrating water and power distribution into the roads themselves is quite possibly the only thing Simcity 2013 did right.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It would be fine if zones conveyed water the way they convey power in 3000 and 4. But they don’t, because... reasons.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I don't think I actually started to get good at these games until SimCity 4. I think part of it was the interconnected region system let me approach the game from different angles. I treated it a lot like a high-maintenance model railroad kit, with tiny farm towns interconnected to suburbs, cities, and industrial hellscapes, all connected by one big rail network, and it actually worked out really well.

I take a similar approach now in Skylines, but your hellscape has to be a bit more central to the transit network because it's all on the same map.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

JethroMcB posted:

Speaking of rebuilding, I never tried SC3K as a kid, or even wanted to, because one review I read said that water pumps in the sequel also had a 50 year lifespan. Since adequate water management was already a living nightmare in SC2K the idea of micromanging it even further was an instant turn-off.

Shibawanko posted:

I couldn't tell if I actually thought the water pipes were stupid, or if I was so bad at managing them that I just started to resent them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're dumb because they're just busywork. There's no strategic way to use them, you just have to lay them out to connect every single square. Anywhere without water won't develop.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
fwiw laying pipe is way less of a chore in 3K than in 2K cuz they greatly increased the radius of each segment. one stretch of pipe covers a real big area. one of many many ways in which 3K is superior to 2K

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Grand Fromage posted:

They're dumb because they're just busywork. There's no strategic way to use them, you just have to lay them out to connect every single square. Anywhere without water won't develop.

Oh, places with water will develop. The game just won't let you forget that there's a tile without water access somewhere, ever.

The DOS version of SC2K I played for most of my teenage years had a bug where the RCI demand index never worked. I built entire cities without knowing what was actually needed at the time.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a missed opportunity in citybuilders, I think, of having non-traffic infrastructure be more complicated than just "is the main number high enough?" and "is every tile connected?" There's a lot more to power/water/teleco infrastructure than that in the real world, and having that be part of gameplay could make for an additional challenge and educational opportunity.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Grand Fromage posted:

If you have farms you also have to painstakingly avoid watering them, unless you want your pumps shut down immediately.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I don’t know if it’s intentional or a glitch, but if you build a single water pump for your city and then don’t build anything around it in an adjacent square except for a power line giving it power, and don’t build any more pumps or pipes, the game will never bug you about water.

I did this every time I played and only recently learned that your zones are still limited in their growth if they don’t have water, all this does is remove the complaining.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In SC2k I usually just laid the water pipes right underneath the roads. Sometimes under every other road, since they can serve the zone on both sides.

Once I read about it in the tips&tricks guide, I also used that phantom water pump trick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kevyn posted:

I don’t know if it’s intentional or a glitch, but if you build a single water pump for your city and then don’t build anything around it in an adjacent square except for a power line giving it power, and don’t build any more pumps or pipes, the game will never bug you about water.

I did this every time I played and only recently learned that your zones are still limited in their growth if they don’t have water, all this does is remove the complaining.

Is this for 2k or 3k?

I don't mind water as something that you have to manage, but it definitely could stand to be more interesting. At this point, it's just another resource like power; you build a structure that, one way or another, gives you the resource, and then you build lines bringing that resource to those who need it. Granted, power has a few extra things going for it, like meltdowns and the pollution aspect, but they're essentially the same.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you have farms you also have to painstakingly avoid watering them, unless you want your pumps shut down immediately.

In which one? It's not the case in 4, I would start every city by laying out the pipes at the exact spacing to water the entire map so I'd never have to look at it again.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

In which one? It's not the case in 4, I would start every city by laying out the pipes at the exact spacing to water the entire map so I'd never have to look at it again.

Yeah id do it once at the beginning too so i wouldnt have it crash my game later. The pumps just formed a blob in some corner of the map. It's a dumb mechanic

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is this for 2k or 3k?

I don't mind water as something that you have to manage, but it definitely could stand to be more interesting. At this point, it's just another resource like power; you build a structure that, one way or another, gives you the resource, and then you build lines bringing that resource to those who need it. Granted, power has a few extra things going for it, like meltdowns and the pollution aspect, but they're essentially the same.

I remember this bug from 2k but IIRC it's slightly more involved: you do a 3x3 square of some zone, put the pump down in the centre without powering it, then dezone the 3x3 grid, or something to that effect.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Only works in 2000 but should work in all versions of that:

1. clear and dezone a 3x3 area on the edge of the city

2. place a single water pump in the center

3. connect the pump to power

4. do not connect it to any pipes

5. enjoy no more water shortage complaints ever

E: also, this must be the only water-generating property on the map, no other pumps or de-sal plants

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 26, 2019

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I was a 3k boy - 4 always felt a bit too much, but 3k was a perfect size. I loved 3K’s music, it always very much reminded me of minimalist composers like Steve Reich (look up “Music for 18 musicians” - I always feel like playing sim city when listen to it)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I was super poor so despite being online since 1995 until 2004 I had a Pentium 233 MHz so I really missed a lot of PC gaming and just played the poo poo out of what my computer could run. It would run 3000 but like dogshit, but I feel like I missed out on the best iteration of Simcity with 3000. I'm really loving good at Ski Free tho.

SimCopter - there was a fan project remake which died, and another mod for Cities Skylines which was released in Alpha, but the dev said the C:S team made a bunch of unfriendly decisions and he wouldn't be able to continue :smith:

I played so. much. simcopter. It looked bad even in my memory but holy poo poo it was even worse than I remember. The gaming equivalent of a hoop & stick.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stumiester posted:

I was a 3k boy - 4 always felt a bit too much, but 3k was a perfect size. I loved 3K’s music, it always very much reminded me of minimalist composers like Steve Reich (look up “Music for 18 musicians” - I always feel like playing sim city when listen to it)

Simcity 4 soundtrack also slaps, as does Sims 1 soundtrack. I used to listen to both of those as background music in my office lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stumiester posted:

3K really seems to be the last time the series had any sort of real whimsy to it. It's like it put a sort of cartoonish veneer over 2K, while fixing up a bunch of things. Then 4, as much as I enjoyed it, brought things to a much more serious look and feel. If I had to pick one to play for the rest of my life, I might pick 3k. Also, I love that music.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

charity rereg posted:

I played so. much. simcopter. It looked bad even in my memory but holy poo poo it was even worse than I remember. The gaming equivalent of a hoop & stick.

Christ. Given how memory's compared to reality for a lot of other games from around then, and what I remember SimCopter looking like, I'm worried about giving it a revisit. :stare:

Tempted, though, in part to see what its helicopter controls were like, and if that somehow helped me out in later games-with-helicopters.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Vavrek posted:

Christ. Given how memory's compared to reality for a lot of other games from around then, and what I remember SimCopter looking like, I'm worried about giving it a revisit. :stare:

Tempted, though, in part to see what its helicopter controls were like, and if that somehow helped me out in later games-with-helicopters.

It's *astonishingly* ugly. It's so much worse than you remember. Try to embrace it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HopperUK posted:

It's *astonishingly* ugly. It's so much worse than you remember. Try to embrace it.

God

I happened to watch some video of it the other day because I was looking for Streets of Simcity. I think Copter is the "better" of the two, in that it had a fairly believable helicopter-flying experience built into it. I played a whole mess of Sim Copter, yall. I used to spend hours fussing with SC2k Urban Renewal Kit to make like wild, sprawling metropolises to explore.
Anyway, it really is perfectly hideous. I dunno how my kid brain ever got past what appears to be a just a big static sprite of a cockpit stamped over the front of the viewport.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

deadly_pudding posted:

God

I happened to watch some video of it the other day because I was looking for Streets of Simcity. I think Copter is the "better" of the two, in that it had a fairly believable helicopter-flying experience built into it. I played a whole mess of Sim Copter, yall. I used to spend hours fussing with SC2k Urban Renewal Kit to make like wild, sprawling metropolises to explore.
Anyway, it really is perfectly hideous. I dunno how my kid brain ever got past what appears to be a just a big static sprite of a cockpit stamped over the front of the viewport.

Did you ever put down a big radioactive area? They'd spawn like-- creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

HopperUK posted:

Did you ever put down a big radioactive area? They'd spawn like-- creatures.

Huh, I never knew nuclear explosions were a thing in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iArcxOqT2o

:stare: