Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SimEarth looks really really cool.

What's the best way to play it nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah 3K has futuristic tilesets and east Asian tilesets too.

Also it's possible to run the Windows 95 CD version of 2K on modern operating systems, you just need a third party installer as the one included on the CD is 16 bit which can't run in 64 bit Windows. It does natively support widescreen though, unlike the DOS version sold on GOG.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You can run it on modern Windows with a modded installer executable but I've no idea about Mac, sorry.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Negostrike posted:

The Win95 version of the Special Edition lets you change the graphics set DURING the game, which makes it by far the best version ever. In any other version you had to either set it in a separate program or in the main menu before loading a city.

Yup.

It also runs without issues on Windows 10 too. The only issue is that it's a 16 bit installer, but there's workarounds for that to install the game. Running the actual game itself works perfect though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think, a fork of the Julius Caesar 3 source port fixes issues like that.

https://github.com/Keriew/augustus

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I’m curious, did anyone play SimCity Creator for the Wii and DS? I haven’t played them myself but I’m reading a Wikipedia article and they look interesting. The Wii version looks like a normal SimCity game but you could choose which themes you want your city to have e.g. Egyptian, Las Vegas, Japanese etc and apparently it had a sequel to SimCopter built in where you could tour your city from a helicopter. The DS version looked to be a different game where you start off in the Stone Age building a small community and working your way up to a near future Megalopolis and again, you could stylize what your city theme would be as you advanced each age.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think they meant a remaster that played nice on modern systems. Which I mean, maybe? EA isn't totally against actually decent remasters once in a blue moon, like the C&C remaster.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

There is, lamentably, no way in hell EA would take the trouble unless they believed they could make a fortune through microtransactions and lootboxes.

Eh, EA aren't as bad as they were back when SimCity 2013 and Built It were released. Remember, John Riccitiello was the CEO of EA back when those games came out and he left and then immediately started to ruin Unity with their boneheaded charging developer per user install idea instead. EA's still full of greedy assholes for sure, but they greenlit a remake of Dead Space 1 without any bullshit and the remaster of C&C and Red Alert 1 without any bullshit. I could maybe see them do a remaster of SimCity 4 at some point just to see if there's any life in the series, especially when Cities Skylines 2 both sold well and also had a very mixed reception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think you can go above 1920x1080, it's just not advisable because the UI will be so tiny that you struggle to read anything on it.