Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
While 4 has the superior mechanics, especially with the traffic analyzer tool, it's soulless and bland next to 2k and 3k. The music of 2k and the citizens and their personalities of 3k elevated the earlier games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I go back and read the The Deadly Hume's SC3k let's play every few years. It's a good laugh.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What are the major improvements, besides graphics, in 3k over 2k? I grew up with 2k and have immense nostalgia for it but I did play a bit of 3. Just wondering if I should stick with 2k since this thread has me wanting to play again, or if 3 really is better and I am just being a nostalgia-blinded grandpa.

Also slight correction for the OP; unless I am grossly misremembering, 2k had tilesets you could choose between so you could get like futuristic cities or presumably East Asian style ones. I definitely recall the former.

3K had deals you could make with your neighbours, like buying/selling excess power, water, or garbage capacity. There were often petitioners that could come to you with deals or their complaints that you could act on. This could be anything from allowing gambling or free parking, to getting high-profit with side effect industrial parks you could build. I think other than that, it was mostly a case of more-of-everything.

2K had the tilesets. Not sure if 3K has similar.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is why SimCity 2000 was the greatest

I swear there was a sentence that could generate in a disaster was "An old guy died." I've been using that ever since to describe something bad but light-hearted.