Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
My first introduction to the genre was not SimCity, but a little-known game for the Colecovision called Fortune Builder which predates SC by at least five years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dW1ztOxH0

It’s a bit different in that you’re not running a city per se, but a business. So you’re laying down factories and resorts and toll booths and a bunch of other money making poo poo in an effort to make the most cash. I think there’s a certain amount you have to get to “win” the game. You can also play 2 player where you compete on the same map.

I was like 5 years old when I would play this at a friend’s house and my biggest memory was that I would always build a bunch of arcades everywhere and the parents would get pissed off and shut them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I don’t know if it’s intentional or a glitch, but if you build a single water pump for your city and then don’t build anything around it in an adjacent square except for a power line giving it power, and don’t build any more pumps or pipes, the game will never bug you about water.

I did this every time I played and only recently learned that your zones are still limited in their growth if they don’t have water, all this does is remove the complaining.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Reticulating wines.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
There’s a Cities Skylines thread, currently very active because the sequel just came out https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706710&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1