Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

SimCity 2013 was a bigger let down than Spore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

On an old laptop I have a region in SC4:RH that I "modded" to be like 50km x 80km wide or something ridiculously massive like that, and it's got a population in the millions. Took me forever just to customize the terrain before I even started building urban cores on different edges of the map, and then connected them by rail. I tried to build it by imagining a fictitious island nation that I'd want to live on. The NAM pack was the only mod I used, I think. This thread makes me want to fire it up for old time's sake.

One of my favorite things about SC:RH was that you could change the region size in MS-paint just by coloring the map file.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

Citystate has some neat ideas if it wasn't made by a nerdonazi.

like, for example, it is the only city builder I've ever played to model population separately from homes, which is to say it is possible to have overcrowding and homelessness. it also models informal housing, i.e. homeless people setting up semipermanent encampments, and if you've got a ton of migration to the city it's possible to end up with these huge sprawling shantytowns as people for whom there is no room in your residential zones just build housing on their own.

the game very much reflects the politics of the dude who made it, though, like, this is a game very clearly made by somebody who thinks immigration is capital-b Bad and using walls and soldiers to control illegal immigration is a whole mechanic. also trickle-down economics is an objective fact in the game's economic simulation, the country will not develop past a certain point if there are no rich people. you can in theory use your policies to create a utopia where everyone is happy and prosperous and wealthy, but it will stagnate and die because buildings literally cannot develop past a certain point if there is not an upper class of people significantly wealthier than everyone else, regardless of how wealthy everyone is on average.

Haven't played Citystate in awhile and last time I played I was wondering what was up with the weird updates to immigration related stuff. If it weren't for the creator's political biases on that and the need for billionaires it would actually be a decent simulator. At least I got it during a sale for like 25% its normal price so weirdochud didn't get too much of my money.