Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

lookw posted:

You know...its funny just how well miyao did in preventing utter chaos. Even though the order just mildly inconvenienced the "enemy faction" they were considered such a threat that the enemy had to convince *multiple different organizations and countries* to overtly treat their soldiers as disposible pieces. When your soldiers go from fighting to win to a sudden deathmatch for no significant reason (it will only cause more chaos) it will cause them to turn on the system as a whole. No one will like the results and more people will die due to collateral damage.
What was this fight even about? i honestly dont remember and right now it doesnt matter. They signed their own loss when they did this That loyalty is now twisted into a form that will explode at significant cost to all sides. Soon the war will reignite with significantly more collateral damage (maybe WW4?). There is no end for them now. the "cease fire" will only exacerbate those feelings and the system that kept the world at relative peace will dissolve if certain figures break.
Well miyaos dad who seemed to set it up to break miyao to become the most effective piece against their enemy. Remember, according to blue miyao the miyao we were following was designed to be the reason why this all happened. I wonder just what breaking miyao will accomplish. is it to set up miyao to take on the three kings and the GM? or is it to fascillitate a different plan to remake the world?
They were trying to get more territory before the ceasefire, since borders will be solidified then. Normally that would just be pettiness, but given the crop plague and the 8MS crash, I'm sure at least in some cases it was about fighting over arable land. We know that the fight between the AOU and COU was for the Glass Sea, though, which as far as we know is just a symbolic and historically significant remnant of World War 3 that might have spiritium under it, and spiritium really isn't the main concern for the world right now.

So yeah, Lingji and Miyao were being forced to fight over something basically useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

PetraCore posted:

They were trying to get more territory before the ceasefire, since borders will be solidified then. Normally that would just be pettiness, but given the crop plague and the 8MS crash, I'm sure at least in some cases it was about fighting over arable land. We know that the fight between the AOU and COU was for the Glass Sea, though, which as far as we know is just a symbolic and historically significant remnant of World War 3 that might have spiritium under it, and spiritium really isn't the main concern for the world right now.

So yeah, Lingji and Miyao were being forced to fight over something basically useless.

yep about as useless as i expected. I know that we will have some miyao angsting over killing lingi and being forced by his dad (who definitely planned all parts of that) to do so. When they basically tell him "you need to take responsibility for your lofty goals and sacrifices must be made." im sure it will go over quite well /s. Now with 3 parts of humanity as a whole failing and now no way to end the conflict whatsoever the true enemy (DM? Three kings?) dont have to worry about actual peace. A new problem will rear its ugly head. Pure insanity. now miyao will be very detrimental to whatever cause he becomes a part of and his "friends" will give conflicting help on it. You dont break idealists like that and leave them alive. it will end poorly regardless of how they break and what you think the end goal will be. As for the other pilots.......well.......they will be recruited by different players (three kings, GM, miyaos dad, doomsday cults) and forced to destroy the very system they wanted to protect.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
My assumption is that following this event, all of the survivors would be heavily interrogated about the Order of the Public Bath and more or less restricted from any further action as the world ends — the olds have decisively taken control of the board, and the kids have seemingly lost all agency as they are forced to be martyrs for the horrifying Walls of Peace. Honestly, I hope we loop after this, because Phase 2 will be pretty depressing if it continues from this point. It seems like the world is in such a state that complete collapse is inevitable, and that flavor of apocalypse is always my least favorite read.

Oh, one thing I completely forgot about until this re-read: why does the Ninth Prime Chivalric Order contact Miyao in the middle of this fight? What could that even be about? Is it just Toujirou’s initial ask, like, “hey son do you want to be a bad guy,” before he got impatient and apparently took total control over the situation?

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

What a loving ending, holy poo poo. Even after so many other 07th Expansion games, I was completely unprepared for the emotional rollercoaster Ryukishi built for us. I honestly can't think of a better way to cap off this first part of the story than having the disaffected teens, forced into battles to the death they have no real stake in, party as hard as they possibly can all the way until the actual end of the world. If you told me Ryukishi came up with this scene first and built the entire story to support it, I'd believe it. Absolutely agree it's one of the best scenes he's ever done.

Regarding time loops, I see no reason to think we aren't going to be doing it again -- as Quinn said, we definitively lost, and even if events continued to happen, it seems like we're going all in on that scene where all the humans were put on hooks and something something buzzsaws blue skin bodies. There's way too many incidents of people knowing more than they possibly can or should for me to dismiss. Exactly who is experiencing the time loops or how is vague enough to allow a bunch of theories for now but I'm pretty convinced it is a thing which is actually happening to at least one person, whether they personally know it or not.

Toujirou is ludicriously suspicious. I don't actually think he's personally looping, but he absolutely knows too much on an astronomical scale. This exchange in particular set off a ton of red flags for me:

Quinn2win posted:

BGM: Yain no Rinraku

"I'll have some coffee. How about you, Miyao?"

This ruthlessly sudden conversation had made Miyao's mind blank out for a while...

"...Umm, then... I'll have some tea-"
"Sorry, but could we have the check?"
"Huh?"

Waiter:
"Certainly, sir. Please wait a moment."

"What was that, all of a sudden...?"
"I told you. I don't have much time. And anyway, you're going to get a call any time now. Turn on your Selcom."
"I don't get it..."

It comes and goes so fast that you have barely any time to wonder what in the world just happened here. I happen to think that conversation, for whatever reason, is loving vital. If Miyao picks tea, that is the wrong answer, and Toujirou knows it -- and we're on track for the bad ending, during which Toujirou will attempt to twist the bad ending to his advantage, because that's what he always does. I'd like to think this means he'll be on our side when we defeat the blue-people-red-moon ending but there are so many odd things going on it's hard to make very concrete predictions.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Personally, I think that "This ruthlessly sudden conversation had made Miyao's mind blank out for a while..." makes it seem likely that we skipped some time where Toujirou hasn't actually been talking to our Miyao. Meow or blue Miyao, maybe? Or if our Miyao is really a murder program (which... now he definitely seems to be, with what went on in that fight), maybe Toujirou was idk programming him or something. In that case, Miyao ordering tea might signal that it's our Miyao again, so Toujirou wraps it up.

Telum fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 16, 2020

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Zack Ater posted:

Or if our Miyao is really a murder program (which... now he definitely seems to be, with what went on in that fight)

While this is definitely likely, I don't think that the ending is a hard confirmation of it. Toujirou didn't hijack Miyao, he hijacked Miyao's Gauntlet - that's something we already know is possible, from the scene where Miyao fires a volley of missiles and then takes over the Gauntlets of his targets to shoot them down.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Quinn2win posted:

While this is definitely likely, I don't think that the ending is a hard confirmation of it. Toujirou didn't hijack Miyao, he hijacked Miyao's Gauntlet - that's something we already know is possible, from the scene where Miyao fires a volley of missiles and then takes over the Gauntlets of his targets to shoot them down.

This is a great point! I do agree it could be a misdirection. I wonder where all that energy would come from, though, since Miyao was running dry and I doubt Toujirou could have personally powered it. Or maybe he could?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Rather than giving Miyao a burst of power, it would be much easier to just quietly arrange for Lingji's shield to be switched off (or made to "run a diagnostic", see Gunhild) at the critical moment.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

:doh: Also a very good point.

I never said I was good at this :v:

I do have a lot more thoughts, if I ever get the time to write them up.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
My personal guess is that instead of a loop, the time capsule thing in mad scientistville will be the device used to progress between phases. The whole "factory made humans" thing, plus the ability to apparently upload human minds to machines might also play a role.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Zack Ater posted:

Personally, I think that "This ruthlessly sudden conversation had made Miyao's mind blank out for a while..." makes it seem likely that we skipped some time where Toujirou hasn't actually been talking to our Miyao. Meow or blue Miyao, maybe?

It’s going to be a lot of fun finding out what R07 has in mind with all this, because he’s really set us up for a doozy. The man just loves a doppelgänger! And so he’s built a perfect sci-fi world in which a solid percentage of the cast is really multiple people!

I have to assume he’ll do something that’ll make us all rush to read Phase 1 again with the truth in mind. Pretty neat, that he piled up so many actors and motives that sorting it all out to begin with is a chore.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I'm not sure we'll get a time loop, at least not straight away; looping is a privilege of players (both out-of-game and in-game, in terms of witches and those chosen by them), and we've been told that we're not even players this time. The teaser where Seshat wants to wake someone up because without them she can't "call those two back" makes me think that the person in there is the actual one connected to the witches (maybe the opposing player to Seshat?), and until they get involved it's not a When They Cry game as we know it.

Everything is so open at this point that it's pretty much impossible to predict, though. Even at this point in Umineko, we wouldn't have known the basic format of the remaining episodes for certain, and this looks to be no different.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I read the LP of Umineko, but is there an LP of the first When They Cry game?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The official translation of Higurashi isn't quite finished yet, so I'd imagine anyone who'd want to do an LP is waiting for it. IIRC the fan translation isn't nearly as complete/easily accessible as the Umineko one was. The anime series does cover it fairly well, although I've heard the VN is better in general.

That said, the majority of the shared universe between the first two games was mentioned (and in many cases probably invented) in Umineko, so you're not really missing out on much cross-game stuff if you've read it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the anime changed genres to make it more psychological horror than mystery, which does work for the story but makes it kind of a different beast.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Now that I’ve got a SA account, I just wanted to say thank you for this great (super well-made!) LP. Playing Ciconia was the most fun I had with a game in 2019 and I love seeing people react to it. Can’t wait for you all to see the postgame content- I don’t think it’s entirely what you expect.

rko posted:

Oh, one thing I completely forgot about until this re-read: why does the Ninth Prime Chivalric Order contact Miyao in the middle of this fight? What could that even be about? Is it just Toujirou’s initial ask, like, “hey son do you want to be a bad guy,” before he got impatient and apparently took total control over the situation?

May be worth noting that in the game itself, things are jumping around enough that it’s ambiguous whether that message is going to Miyao at all. Upon reread I thought it may have gone to Chloe, for example.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

cropoval posted:

May be worth noting that in the game itself, things are jumping around enough that it’s ambiguous whether that message is going to Miyao at all. Upon reread I thought it may have gone to Chloe, for example.

There’s a lot of this ambiguity throughout the story. R07 loves to imply that there’s a chronological/spatial relationship between events that are, in reality, happening at completely different times and places. Of course, he could also just be screwing with those of us who read Umineko, like how that game delighted in messing with the expectations they developed over the course of reading Higurashi. He’s tricky that way!

I’ll hush up for awhile though, because I want to discuss all this more after folks have read the postgame content.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

rko posted:

There’s a lot of this ambiguity throughout the story. R07 loves to imply that there’s a chronological/spatial relationship between events that are, in reality, happening at completely different times and places. Of course, he could also just be screwing with those of us who read Umineko, like how that game delighted in messing with the expectations they developed over the course of reading Higurashi. He’s tricky that way!

I’ll hush up for awhile though, because I want to discuss all this more after folks have read the postgame content.

Ah, my apologies for assuming the LP was your first Ciconia experience!

I’ll hush up too, but I will agree that one of the bigs things I’ve taken from Phase 1 is that we’re operating on very different standards from previous WTC games. I’m also excited to see theories once this wraps up, because we have no rulesets to go on this time.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

cropoval posted:

Ah, my apologies for assuming the LP was your first Ciconia experience!

I’ll hush up too, but I will agree that one of the bigs things I’ve taken from Phase 1 is that we’re operating on very different standards from previous WTC games. I’m also excited to see theories once this wraps up, because we have no rulesets to go on this time.

Well im more inclined to think that this is the set up for the players to become a part of the story. I remember in umineko that Battler wasnt even a player until after the first game was concluded and he met beatrice.

I think that we've gotten glimpses of the meta-world a few time but its inbetween the game world and what we see so its a part that characters can become a part of it without knowing the type of game its running.

Bascially i think the next part will continue from when this part ended until the characters figure out how to send their personalities back in time as "AI" which makes them players rather than pieces. Then they can manipulate the conflict a bit more indirectly but then have more knowledge about the actual players and plots in the game. The GM's moves will respond to their probes and soon the 'Miyao' we followed turns into a version of 'Blue Miyao' (which would explain their assertion that they are the "real" miyao and the one we know is just a murder machine since ones a player and ones a piece). Miyao may initially start trying to guide their past selves via meow (they came out without miyaos knowledge more than once) and use Jayden to work around their limitations (what happened to them in this last conflict anyway?).

It will be a twist on the typical game that uminkeo had (solving a mystery and moves are just twists and set ups on the board with certain characters), and higurashi (have one character manipulate events to counter one other characters set up). Now we will see multiple "players" attempting to change events to support "their side" via their AI and have to counter not only one but *3* different groups each working towards their ideal end (we will see multiple apocalypse scenarios that tell us a bit more about each side to each characters).

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Well that was certainly a scene to catch up on.

I guess I'll hold off on commentary until after post-game content, since I'm already this late to the party.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

The story is over, but there's plenty of Ciconia left!

Clearing the main story unlocks fifteen Data Fragments, which will give us various small insights into the world and its characters. Watching all of these unlocks one more final fragment that marks the true end of the game.

Just to set your expectations - these will focus more or less exclusively on Warcat and Grave Mole.

Let's go!

Fragment 1/16 - Virtual Experience Presentation

BGM: Chat

"Jayden" has entered the room poyo!
"Gunhild" has entered the room poyo!
"Chloe" has entered the room poyo!
"Lilja" has entered the room poyo!
"Koshka" has entered the room poyo!

"I-I did bring one, but it's really rushed><"
"Mine's really good meooow! If this isn't the best, we're all screwed meow!"
"If you're that confident, I can't help but look forward to this. Were you able to make a good one, Koshka? Did the link I sent you for research help at all?"
"...Well, I just made whatever."
"You know, when people say stuff like that, acting like they couldn't care less, they often end up having the best one."
"I really did just half-rear end it. It'll piss me off if you expect too much from it..."
"At first, she didn't care at all, but when I made fun of her and said she was totally a loser running from a fight, she suddenly wanted to do it meow!"
"I wouldn't care if anyone else said that, but it seriously pisses me off when it's Lilja. As long as I beat her, I'm happy."

Not to say that she doesn't look the part, but Koshka really doesn't like interacting with other people. However, ever since Lilja started taking passes at her, that improved a lot.

"Well, they do say that ties with other people change both them and you."
"I hear you were pretty unsociable too, before you met me."
"And the exact same can be said of you, Jayden."
"No matter how much civilization advances, meeting other people brings you precious gifts."
"Speaking of which, what gifts did you get when you met Lilja and Koshka?"
"I-I learned that every time they do something weird, I get a chop to the head, as befits the unfairness of this world><"
"We may not look it, but we're high-grade Geroy equipment."
"And if we aren't handled properly, Chloe gets held responsible for aaall of it meow♪"
"Waaah, I hate this kette><"

That being said, it was unlikely either Koshka or Lilja would have listened to anyone else either. It was sad for Chloe, but the person in charge of personnel was probably patting themselves on the back for finding such a suitable candidate.

"Who should go first? Should we randomize it?"
"Just have Keropoyo pick someone."
"For things like this, it's always the people who go first and last who have it roughest, right?"
In that case, allow Keropoyo to announce your order of presentation poyo! *drumrolllllll*...tada! First up is Grave Mole's-
"Please don't be me, please don't be me!><"
"People who say that always get picked first meow."
Lilja poyo!!!
"Gyaaaahh!! You were supposed to pick Chloe nngyaaaaaahh!! Learn to read the room, you cheating frog!!"
What'd you call me poyo?!! If you don't apologize, I'll reveal the contents of your Selcom top pages publicly poyo!!
"Please accept my most abject apologies meow! I'm so sorry, Lord Keropoyo."
"...I wouldn't want my top pages revealed either, but it seems some of us have it far worse."
After Lilja will go Jayden, Miyao, Koshka, Gunhild, and Chloe!
"Nooooooo! I'd hate to be first, but I hate being last even more><"
"You were just born under an unlucky star, so give it up already. Heheheheh."
"Looks like it's all you, Lilja. I hope you've got a tricky one for us!"
"The way this game exposes your hobbies and personality... is pretty rough."

However, volunteer contributions led to the development of various in-game objects, actions, and interfaces, making such a task available to far more people. Finally, it had reached a state where any young person could create something simple quickly, as long as they had an idea for it. Plus, everyone here was a super elite, with top class PP levels. Their power to manipulate a Selcom was far beyond what normal people could do, which only made exercises like this easier to pull off from a practical standpoint.

Normally, you would unveil experiences like this publicly and get as many 'likes' as you could, but here, they would only reveal it to their circle of friends. They would decide on a topic, create an experience along those lines, and reveal it to each other, both for fun and to see who could create the best one.

And, the topic for this game was "the most delicious way to eat an energy bar". How to make energy bars... taste delicious? That's right. Kids' games don't always have a deep meaning behind them. They'd just thought it up at random on the spot.

And now, let us begin Lilja's virtual experience!!

"This is data from the Free Material Workshop, isn't it? Pretty standard for a virtual school background."
"Shut up meow. If you don't like it, you try building one from scratch meow."

BGM: Daisanzi

As they said this, someone's stomach growled. Lunch wasn't that far off. However, this unbelievably boring class actually seemed to be bending the laws of the universe, slowing the progress of time... Everyone kept looking hatefully up at the clock, wondering if it was lunchtime yet, but the hands barely moved at all. It was as though time passed slower the more you looked at the clock...

Students:
"It's no use..."

Students:
"Yeah... Once you realize you're hungry, there's no stopping it..."

*grumble*... Now even their stomachs were crying out... It was a sluggish lesson. The hunger even seemed to make the textbooks in their mental displays bend. In the first place, why aren't we allowed to bring food and drinks to class...? What's the point of school if we can't study in our best condition...? What's so wrong about being able to just stick something in your mouth when you're hungry or thirsty...? Yeah, screw those stupid school rules... If I knew this would happen, I would've snuck an energy bar into my pocket or something...

I suddenly heard that voice coming from a seat in the back. When I turned around, my eyes met Lilja's, who seemed confident despite her complaints of hunger. Then, I saw what she was holding, and my eyes went wide. That's right. It was... an energy bar...

It was a banned item that we weren't allowed to bring into the classroom, and it truly filled the room with a sense of forbidden desire. Yes, I see now that there's nothing to be gained by being a good kid who follows the school rules. How cool she looks, whipping out an energy bar at the right moment and casually opening it!

"Hmm? Want a bite? Meoooow?"

Y-You'll... give me a bite? A god... You're a god, Lilja-

"Hey, that wasn't bad."
"An energy bar that mustn't be eaten, when you're hungry during class!"
"Eating in a place you aren't supposed to gives it the taste of a forbidden fruit."
"That's not the point meow! It's great because you get to eat it while looking down on a starving classmate who can't eat anything meow!"
"...Y-You mean eating it in front of classmates staring at you jealously... is what makes it good?"
"Waaaah, that's so mean, so meeeean><"
"That's Lilja for you, as contemptible as ever."
"Guess that means I'm up! I, the genius Jayden, will teach you the best and most powerful way to eat an energy bar!"

BGM: Underdogs

"This is just virtual data taken straight from the International Battle Standard Festival's official homepage, isn't it?"
"Hold on, you criticized Lilja, but you cheated too. You just copied it whole!"
"Sh-Shut up, just be quiet for now and watch my supergenius world!"

The magnificent figure of a champion surrounded by glamorous women on either side was bathed in the flashes of reporters' cameras over and over. Then, the tournament committee chairperson approached, holding a massive golden trophy cup.

Chairperson:
"Congratulations, Champion!! You are indeed... the greatest hero in the world!!"

BGM: Yuusha yo, Tsuyokuare, Bakadeare

"H-Hey, don't call me dumb. People who call people idiots are the real idiots!"
"Getting just a single energy bar in this situation is so pathetic that it's depressing meow."
"B-But...if it's an energy bar they're giving to the champion, m-maybe it's really, really yummy...><"
"It looks just like a normal, pathetic energy bar to me."
"Yes, that's just a normal, pathetic energy bar."
"You've got horrible taste, Supergenius Jayden."
"Sh-Shut uuuuup!! Who's next? You, Miyao?! You can bet I'll be tearing into this one!!"

BGM: Gauntlet Wings

"...Ooh, that's impressive. Like going to the movies."
"Hey, hey, you just stole that from a game, right?! This is the aerial fight stage from Call of Tax!"
"S-So what if it is?! Like you should talk."
"I-If we're just watching these among friends, there's no need to pick it apart so much, is there...?><"

The instant the virtual experience started, a fierce, blazing wind slammed against their whole bodies. It was an explosion. Countless metal fragments slammed against a Rejection Shield, sending angel feathers flying each time. In the city below them, the fires of war burst out all over the place. He was several hundred meters in the air. On his left arm...was a complete Gauntlet made for use in actual combat.

"I just used up almost all my ammo! Don't we have a resupply or reinforcements coming?!"

Radio:
"Fire support craft have arrived in your airspace. Use whatever you need!"

"We're receiving an armament link from the strike fighter 'Natarena'. Sending acknowledgment."

A Gauntlet Knight was like a flying attack carrier and an Aegis-equipped warship wrapped into one. They were capable of commanding weaponry fired by friendly units in the same battle area as if it were their own.

"Sweet, we've got an all-you-can-eat on cluster missiles! No need to be stingy, just keep blasting away!!"
"The third enemy wave is coming!! Activating Reaper's Eye!!"

In an instant, countless red target boxes appeared in the crowd of cities below them. They were all coming towards them, hiding in the gaps between buildings...!

"Dammit, there's no time to stop for a snack!"
"Isn't that what we have 'them' for?"

"Four waves of cluster missiles have arrived. Miyao, Jayden, I'm putting them under your control."
"Roger that! I'll spiral in from the left! Miyao, you take the right!!"
"Leave it to me, partner!!"

"W-Well, uh... Th-That wasn't... so... bad..."
"*giggle*giggle*"
"...What's even the point of eating an energy bar at a time like that?"
"Yeah meow, yeah meow!! You'd just get it caught in your throat and choke meooooow!"
"Putting aside how it tasted, I think that kind of passionate friendship between boys is... kinda nice."
"I'm a woman, so I've got no idea what's supposed to be so great about that."
"Aren't you next, Koshka? If you're gonna say that, I hope you've got a crazy-good scenario that both boys and girls can understand."
"You're all too excited about this. I've got a straightforward scenario for you..."

BGM: Komugiro no Bishou

This was a precious day off, so it was sweet, gentle, and comforting, as though it was softly whispering that it was okay to go back to sleep...

"Hey, you ripped off this data from a fabric softener commercial or something, didn't you?!"
"Like I said, there's nothing wrong with doing that a little><"
"At this point, it's almost as though we're just arguing over who ripped off more."

At some point, I had kicked my blanket off me. It was all scrunched up, like a blanket in a dog's bed. But right now, I don't care if I'm a dog. I turned over in my sleep and streeetched on top of my bed. My mind was still hazy. When I looked at the time in my mental display, I saw it was a time when it was okay to get up, and also okay to just stay in bed. All right then. It is Sunday, after all. I'll take it easy and enjoy this lazy nap to the fullest.

Before I closed my mental display, I casually took care of my daily tasks in WanyaDora. When I first installed it, I wondered what could be so fun about a match puzzle game like this. But now, it had almost become part of my routine, like a habit that was actually comforting. A game you can play even when you're spacing out probably counts as a form of mental relaxation.

Yaaaaawn... I'm hungry... True, if I got up and walked a little, I'd probably find that box of chocolate cereal I left out on the table. But leaving my bed would be too much of a pain... But I'm hungry... Isn't there something I can do? Anything...?

With sleepy eyes, I searched all over my bed with my hands. What's this? My pillow. What's this? The corner of my blanket. I like the corners of blankets. I like biting them and sniffing them. What's this? Huh? It feels like...

What? Seriously? No way, sweet. It's probably one of those things I tossed on my bed a few days ago, planning to eat it before I slept. Just one of them had fallen into a crack and disappeared.

"N-Not bad... I totally get that feeling..."
"Dang, how can you be so poetic, even though you're Koshka?! This has got to be plagiarism meow! You stole this experience from somewhere start to finish, didn't you?!!"
"When I get serious, making a little thing like this is nothing special."
"At first, I just thought it was the sort of slovenly thing I'd expect from you, but that weekend morning feel... really is nice."
"I know, right? Ain't it the truth."

"Seriously meow!! I'll bet Koshka's bed is covered with trash from snacks and wrappers and little bits of food!!"
"What'd you say? I don't wanna hear that from the girl with pastries sitting on her head!"
"Gaaaaaow!! Don't mock pulla!! These are my soul graaow!!"
"Now, now, that's enough fighting. It's my turn next."

BGM: Konpeki no Sora to Hikoukigumo

But what's really the best... is when a minor band you've believed in and supported finally gets the recognition they deserve!

Friends:
"That's amazing!! Totally %$P&!!"

"I know, right?! Didn't I tell you?! They're totally W@##Y!!! G%Б@×▽、V#→$*!!"

They were speaking so fast and using so much slang that the Kizuna's translation couldn't keep up, but it was clear how incredibly excited everyone was. Gunhild and her friends seemed to be fully enjoying the exhilaration in that packed festival hall.

And once she said that, no one felt like complaining about it. Still, seeing Gunhild speak in such an excited tone truly was a rare treat, when compared to how she usually acted. Has she always been this candid back home...?

Friends:
"No, seriously, this is so awesome! I'm so glad I lived to see this day!"

"Should we go grab some food while we can? We probably won't have time later."

Friends:
"To be honest, I've been starving! I've gotta eat something, anything!"

However, the food court was absolutely packed with people. There were all sorts of food trucks, but even they had long snaking lines extending from them. And on top of that, it was so expensive! Well, this isn't the first time people have made a killing running food courts during music festivals. Still, it was seriously expensive for young people, who had to save up money like mad just to buy tickets.

Searching for food that was a little more cost efficient, we went all over the packed crowd. At some point, our bodies that had been burning with excitement had completely cooled off. After all, the temperature was so low that you could see your breath. It would've been different within a city, but the music festival was in an isolated area, so the Temperature Adjustment Environmental 8MS didn't have much of an effect. That was fine as long as you were excited, but once you realized how cold it was, you could feel the chill climb up from the soles of your feet. We finally chose a line to stand in, but we were reaching the limits of our ability to tolerate the hunger and cold...

Friends:
"...Oh, Gun, listen to this! Don't freak out or anything, but Christmas has come to my pocket! It's Santa time!!"

"What are you talking about? Is your head $¥P▽&&~?!"

Friends:
"Tadaa! Bow down! Look what I found in my pocket!"

Friends:
"Ooooooooh@お#$!! Seriously &WЁ@?!?!"

Friends:
"If we all split it, it'll be smaller, but bear with it, okay?"

Friends:
"Here you go, Gun!"

It was just a bite-sized piece, hardly what you could call an energy "bar". However, Gunhild tossed it into her mouth. Her friends all did so as well. Of course, it tasted completely normal and average, as everyone had expected.

And yet-

"I like how it was unusually cold. Eating when you're starving like that must make you feel really happy."
"You mean it tastes better the more horrible your situation is?"
"Still, getting to eat it in a warm bed would make you feel really happy too."
"It's strange. Eating it in a happy situation and eating it in a slightly painful one both seem oddly nice."
"So basically, as long as you're hungry, it's yummy no matter where you eat it."
"True! In the end, energy bars are delicious no matter when you eat them."
"Hahahahah! What the hell, that makes this whole competition pointless."
"Well, I guess the point is that this game helped us understand that fact meow."
"All we did is confirm something we knew already."
"Still, we were able to get yet another look at the charm of energy bars! ...Okay, let's call it a day and head back home. All of you Warcats are in training now, right? And if we don't focus on resting, it'll hurt the effectiveness of our sleep, and-"
"Hmm? Did we already see Chloe's experience?"
"Huh? Ah, right, we haven't! Hey, Chloe! Stop trying to sneakily skip your turn!"
"N-No, I wasn't trying to do that><!! M-Mine was made in a rush, so it isn't worth seeing like all of yours><"
"It doesn't matter if it's rushed, just show it. Even I went and made one."
"Yeah meow, gyaaaow!! Show us yours too Chloe meooooow!!"
"I-It really...isn't anything special..."
"We won't make fun of something you worked so hard to make, Chloe."
"That's right. Even if it has some holes, what's important is that you made it."
"...I-In that case, just for a bit..."
"Stop stalling and show us."

BGM: Ominous3

It was the smell of human flesh... that had rotted for hundreds, thousands... maybe even tens of thousands of years. However, no maggots gathered around that rotting meat. Even they knew that this unearthly meat was not for eating...

"...Now that's a surprise. This isn't reused, but was truly created from scratch."
"Th-This detail is on a whole different level than everyone else's meow...!"
"This kind of quality... doesn't come from just playing around! It's almost as real as the real world...!"

It was the roof of a two-story supermarket. There was an impromptu tent made out of a tarp. And an empty military airdrop container. And, there were pathetic-looking clothes, all dried out and torn.

"Compared to Chloe's work, ours were pretty much the scribbles of a child."
"Forget scribbles, they were just trash..."
"No, they were worse than trash... This is incredible... The overwhelming detail of this space... I never knew we had a god in Grave Mole..."

It was her last bit of food. Once she put it in her mouth, that would be the end. Or rather, she had decided that she would eat it at the end of her life. As she sat on the edge of the roof, her feet dangling in the air, she opened it. Beneath her... were countless rotting arms reaching for the heavens. Those things groaned as they stretched their arms out day and night, seeking Chloe's flesh, knowing that they could never reach her...

As she looked down at the dead who moaned in their endless search for the flesh of the living, she bit down on the energy bar.

"H-How could she have put so much detail into that horde of zombies?! Wait, is Chloe's last name Romero?!"
"Amazing... This overwhelming world... just sucks you in..."

The world has already ended. It's transformed into a hell swarming with the dead, who seek out the living and eat their flesh. In this world, just one person has survived, and is living her life as the last person on Earth to the fullest.

Below my dangling legs is a countless swarm of the dead. I threw the wrapper of my last meal down there. What should I do next? There are six shots left in my shotgun. I'll just pick the five ugliest zombies from that group below. Then, I'll blow six brains apart.

"...Holy crap meow..."
"You said you made that in a rush, and that it wasn't anything special?!!"
"That was a crazy big production, right...?! The temperature, humidity, air pressure and the smell, all the environmental parameters! They were all incredibly detailed!"
"And the detail in the textures was no mean feat either. I never knew you had such talent..."
"This clearly isn't the work of an amateur. Chloe, are you sure you're not a famous virtual experience producer...?"
"N-No, no, no><; That's not true at all><"
"...Chloe, does this mean you'd be able to relax best... while eating an energy bar all alone in the world meow...?"
"No, I understand how she feels. Everyone else was eating theirs in groups!"
"Wait, wait! Of course it's more delicious and fun to eat with other people, right?!"
"It seems an energy bar can taste quite different depending on whether you eat it alone or with others."
"Hey, Chloe. If you're making other virtual experiences like this, please show me! That's insanely high quality!"
"Could it be... that you create the kinds of virtual experiences you can't show to others meow...?"
"What do you mean, virtual experiences you can't show to others?"
"Ah..."
"Ah..."

"In that case, Chloe's wins unanimously for being the most detailed."
"...Th-Thanks."

With virtual experiences, the level of detail can make all the difference in terms of quality. Everyone besides Chloe had built theirs with a quality to be expected of an amateur just playing around, and they had all understood that and enjoyed themselves. They had complained about who ripped off one thing or another, but it was only natural for amateur works to borrow materials from somewhere. It was Chloe's work, done from scratch on a professional level, that was unusual.

Come to think of it, Chloe's was on such a level that it must have cost money to produce. Perhaps she felt awkward, like a pro who accidently went all out against amateurs. Chloe couldn't help but meet everyone's respectful gazes with an uncomfortable smile.

"In that case, let's call it a day...><"

As Chloe hurriedly tried to end the meeting, she got an email.

You've received one email from "Gunhild" poyo!

...Huh? From Gunhild? Why? Why did she send an email when we're face-to-face...?

"Don't worry, I won't tell the other kids."

Gunhild grinned and winked. Chloe went pale and stood up straight. Th-Th-That can't be... That can't be... There are countless people who upload virtual experiences. There's no way she could've found me out, no way, awawa...

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Chloe is already a top tier R07 character. I think she’s gonna go far. She’s also powerfully suspicious, what is her deal and why is she this way??

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I know more than my fair share of supremely talented internet people who swear up and down that they suck, so my educated guess is that Chloe had abusive parents/mentors that constantly pushed her to improve without ever offering encouragement and/or always told her that her abilities and talents were meaningless, so she's stuck constantly trying to improve herself to try and reach their impossible standards.

Or something like that, I forget if we've been told much about her backstory as of yet

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I know more than my fair share of supremely talented internet people who swear up and down that they suck, so my educated guess is that Chloe had abusive parents/mentors that constantly pushed her to improve without ever offering encouragement and/or always told her that her abilities and talents were meaningless, so she's stuck constantly trying to improve herself to try and reach their impossible standards.

Well, she does have Okonogi's constant abuse due to Lilja and Koshka.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and apparently higher drug tolerance so she can't just sedate herself as easily as everyone else when things get rough.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Data Fragment 2: Regarding Selcoms

What's that? You're asking what a Selcom is? Come on, guest, you come to a Selcom Shop and start asking what a Selcom is? Who are you, Kai*** Yuuzan poyoooooooo?!!!
Umm, anyway, sir! A Selcom is the ultimate in wearable technology! It's a system that places a smartphone directly in your brain poyo!
To start, valued customer, please attach this Selcom Sheet to the underside of your left upper arm poyo.
Why your left upper arm, you ask?
I don't know that poyoooo!! All those brilliant researchers and engineers said to stick it there poyoooo!! Don't ask me poyooooooo!!

If you can't see it at all, or if it's fuzzy and you can't see it too well, I recommend adjusting your Internal 8MS, undergo PP training, or else give it up already poyooo!
Just kidding poyo. I recommend our beginner's course called Easy PP Training for Selcom poyo! Try taking that if you suck poyo!
Now then, if you can see an image, you just need to answer some questions with your mental tablet poyo! You can't use your mental tablet well?! For customers like you, I recommend our beginner's course called Mental Tablet Training poyo!
Were you able to fill it in poyo? Then congratulations! Welcome to the world of Selcom poyo!
Now, you can browse the whole world's internet inside your head, and send and receive messages poyo!!
And you can install whatever apps you want, from apps that can save anything you see with the naked eye as an image, to facial recognition apps, to game apps and video search apps poyo! However, running apps simultaneously will put stress on your brain, so I recommend starting slow poyooo.
Also! With your plan, you get the communication app "Keropoyo" pre-installed poyo!
No matter how much you hate me, I can't be erased, so sorry about that poyo!
*keeero*kero*kero*kero*!

"Here comes Okonogi's Selcom allergy again..."
"He says that, but he's using it too. It's not fair...><"
"The human brain is a muscle! It gets stronger the more you use it, and weaker the more dependent you are!
You keep looking everything up on the net, saving it as data without trying to memorize it! Keep that up, and you'll become a Selcom human!"
"You Selcom brats, if your Selcom breaks down, what would you even be able to do, until you got to a Selcom Shop to get it fixed?! You'd get stuck trying to diddle yourself while you piddle yourself!!
Don't let your brain slack off!!
Brains are all about guts!! Learn with your brain, with your body! Muscles muscles, brains brains!!"
"I don't even know what he's saying anymore..."
"Ahahaha... But I understand what he's trying to say. A Selcom isn't something people are born with. His point is that, if we rely on it too much, then what good are we as humans...?"
"Well, I'm not sure that's much of a problem in the AOU, where humans are born in electric incubators."
"After all, humans are animals that can't live without clothing..."
"This era takes memorization too lightly! In my day, there was no Selcom! When we memorized stuff, all we had to rely on was our guts! Our multiplication tables, historical timelines, the periodic table, the value of pi! But when you learn something with guts, you'll never forget it!! I still know pi to 30 digits even without a Selcom!! 3.14159265359..."
"Lame, he got the 11th place after the decimal wrong... And anyway, memorization is only one of the brain's powers, right? If the last generation's education system gave out grades for that one ability alone, isn't that pretty pathetic?"

People who suffer have the bad habit of wanting to make the next generation suffer the same way. And in particular, people who work extremely hard for relatively little benefit tend to assume that suffering is the most essential part of training. Older people like that must have hated Selcom technology quite a lot...

BGM: Komugiro no Bishou

"We are humans, after all. I think it's wrong to take the power of life lightly."
"...The power...of life."
"Well, it's true that only humans can perform a Dreissig Conversion."
"That's right. We're only able to become Gauntlet Knights because we're humans, right?"

Spiritium is the power source of this new era, extracted from the planet. And the most efficient method of transforming it into energy... is the Dreissig Conversion. Only humans could do that. Robots and drones couldn't. So, the power of the Gauntlet Knights... was the power of life.

...I'm pretty sure Dad said something like that. What do you know, that's pretty cool...

"So, you shouldn't take the power of life lightly, huh? That's seriously cool, Chloe."
"Huh? Th-Thank you very much...!"
Search suggestions activated poyo!
"Huh? What's this? I just got a search suggestion."
Could it be that the line you're looking for is "Don't you dare take the power of life lightly!" poyo?!
"Hmm? That sounds pretty close? Is that from something?"
It is poyo!! With 98% confidence, the source of that line has been identified as the adult women's comi-

"...D-Did I really do something so bad... that it deserved... two karate chops..."
Your Selcom has encountered an error poyo?! I suggest you reboot poyooo, *croak*croak*
"...Sorry, Miyao... You only have that Outie Frog to blame. Amen."
"...Ch-"
"Lo...?"

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Data Fragment 3: The Okonogi Crappy Collage Grand Prix

"Jayden" has accepted your request poyo!
"Lilja" has accepted your request poyo!
"Koshka" has accepted your request poyo!
"Gunhild" has accepted your request poyo!
"Chloe" has accepted your request poyo!

One after another, at the speed of light, messages from all the Warcats and Grave Moles came, accepting his offer. Then, they entered the virtual room one after another.

"It really gets on my nerves meoow!! Gyaaaow, hhsssssss!!!"
"E-Everyone, let's calm down... I'm sure the Instructor's just trying to give us a lesson with tough love, and-"
"*kero*kero*kero*!!! *keeero*kero*croak*croak*!!!"
"That's some serious *kero*kero*! Aaah, it pisses me off! *kero*kero*kero*!"
"'*kero*kero*kero*! *keero*kero*kero*!!' *giggle*giggle*"

Kizuna would automatically transform certain forbidden words into the croaking of a frog. Because of that, whenever people started hurling abuse at each other, it sounded like a chorus of frogs had suddenly appeared. This idiotic feature had settled so many fights between kids with laughter that it had even won the Ig Bernhard Prize...

And, outside the virtual room where this chorus of frogs was going on, Instructor Okonogi's "very important" scolding continued on and on.

He had told them to do a little demonstration for a bigwig who had unexpectedly shown up. Well, if you tell people to do something like that without any warning, it's only natural that things won't go as planned. In fact, since this was obvious from his perspective, he had told his superiors beforehand that he couldn't be asked to do the impossible. Anyway, it had ended up with him getting embarrassed and so on and so on. So for the rest of the day, he had told them to stop all their training and gather in the lecture hall, so that all the Gauntlet Knights on the base could hear His Excellency the Mighty Instructor Okonogi's veeery important scolding...

Well, if he was going to unfairly make them stand at attention this long, then he no longer had any right to complain. Even if the kids started holding a Crappy Collage Grand Prix inside their heads!

Miyao had created them, while being bored by Okonogi's lecture.

"Yikes, what a hack job!! Gyahahahaha...!!!"
"Even I can make stuff like this meow! Hyah!"

"Wahahaha!! That's nice, wahahaha!!"
"Y-You shouldn't laugh... Ahahahahah!"
"Chloe, please make sure you don't laugh in reality."
"I-I know that...! Haah, haah, my chest hurts...!"

BGM: Gauntlet Wings

By now, there was no stopping the onslaught of edited images. It didn't even matter what the original image was about, as long as it had his face slapped onto it. Even if it wasn't human. Each and every thing became a sloppy collage with Okonogi's face.

"I've got an extra helping, a full plate of Okonogis!!!"

"...Aah, it's too late. The dopamine has fused with my Okonogi receptors and I'm having an Okonogi trip..."
"Heheheheh, I used Chloe's face instead of Okonogi's?!?!"
"Woohoooooo, let's see what Okonogi thinks of this crazy shoooooooop!!"

Ah...

"Hmm? Who sent me an email just now?"

Of course, Okonogi knew that Chloe had sent it. He glared at her. Yes, at that moment, Chloe's face was as white and flat as a plastic cutting board...!

Furthermore, the pic she had sent was from the poster of a certain suspense romance movie that had been a big hit the previous year. The heroine's face had been replaced with Chloe's, and the main character holding her from behind had Okonogi's face...

To make an image like this and send it to the person in question... was a harsh trial indeed. These days, even grade schoolers new to love didn't do things like that...

And now, Chloe's white face was spouting steam and turning red. If only Okonogi had turned red too, as he walked briskly towards her...

"Ch-"
"Lo-?"

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Good to know that the spirit of SA survives until the future.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Okay, major kudos to Ryukishi07, this is exactly what a bunch of bored teenagers with brain-computers would do during a boring lecture. :allears:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Sakutaro!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Whoops! Fell out of my schedule for a bit. It's late in the game, but LP fatigue is setting in.

I'm gonna take a mulligan on this week and get going back at full speed on Monday.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Data Fragment 4: Training with Grave Mole

BGM: Advancing

In the beautiful blue sky, with its grand, well-defined clouds, a single little fish seemed to have wandered by... A little fish? It was a drone. A remotely-controlled target drone used for sniping practice.

The next moment was filled with the fierce sound of a sniper rifle firing. And at the same time, the drone jerked about in the sky.

The drone hadn't jerked because it had been hit. It had swiftly dodged an instant before.

"You won't hit anything with pathetic shots like that meow! I can totally tell when you're gonna shoot meow."
"...Hearing that just makes me wanna take you down a peg even more...!"
"Please take a break, you two. You've been at this for quite a while now."
"Are you kidding me? You want me to stop after being humiliated like that...?!"
"I'll keep this up until you fall over like the hick you are, crying because you know you'll never be able to match the great Lilja meow!!"
"Still, both of your brains are really worn out, so you shouldn't overdo it-"

"Still, training too hard will just..."
"Gyah!"
"Don't get in their way, you fool! You've gotta strike while the iron's hot! Keep it up as much as you like, you two!"
"We've got Okonogi's permission meow. Now I can fight you as much as I like, without worrying about the time meow."
"I'll give you all I've got until you break down in tears and beg me to stop...!!"

Lilja sent out formations of drones one after another. Their movements seemed to be random, formed in complex geometrical patterns, and dazzling. Koshka shot them down one after another, but it wasn't as though all her shots hit. At the perfect timing, the drones would swiftly change their flight paths, dodging as if they knew exactly when Koshka would shoot.

"After all, Koshka tries to slack off whenever she can. We just need her to actually use her high P3 levels to snipe predictively."
"See? She's starting to hit a lot of 'em now."
"...Koshka really is amazing when she's focused..."

In this case, by memorizing Lilja's tempo and shooting based on instinct, she was subconsciously skipping the high-level trajectory calculations that would normally be necessary in this situation. The brain's ability to find easy solutions to problems can be quite useful, but it ends up being a minus when using an anti-Gauntlet sniper rifle. So, it was necessary for Koshka to remain constantly tense and focus on her shooting.

BGM: White Song

"No, she hasn't. It's just that she's finally starting to get fired up."

Chloe agreed with him there. From the beginning, Koshka had been a supergenius Gauntlet Knight, with outrageous P3 levels and all sorts of unexplored abilities.

However, when they had first met, she had just been a self-indulgent kid, with absolutely no desire to cooperate. She had gained the position of Gauntlet Knight, something everyone dreamed of being when they were kids, but she was completely unmoved by it and just seemed to find it annoying. Her skill with a sniper rifle was miles ahead of the pack even then, but she was only able to make use of it while shooting at stationary targets. She was doing it reluctantly and grudgingly, so she didn't focus at all and was almost completely unable to do sniping that required high-level trajectory calculations.

"She's really changed a lot since Lilja came."
"It's not at all rare for meetings between people to cause incredible changes. In Koshka's case, Lilja is probably what did it."

At first, Koshka seemed truly irritated by this, but as time passed, she started answering to Lilja's provocation, and the two of them had become rivals, or maybe something more.

"If Lilja... was moved from Grave Mole to another squad..."
"Idiot. As if I'd let that happen."

Okonogi spoke as if she was being silly.

"Koshka needs her. Not that she'd admit it."
"...I'm a bit surprised... that you'd notice something like that, Instructor..."
"Gyaboo?!?!"
"You blockhead. How many years do you think I've been an instructor?! Stop being stupid, grab a quick shower, and replenish your sugar levels! I hate the smell of a woman's sweat! Which do you want landing on your head, my chop or your shower?!"
"I-I-I'm so sorry, Instructor>< I'll go take a shower and replenish my sugar levels><"

However, I'm detecting considerable stress in their blood levels. They're so packed with adrenaline, they can't tell how tired they are poyo!
"Hmph. Seriously, these engines take so long to warm up."
"Lilja! Koshka!! That's enough! Training is over!!"
"Myaaooo?!?! But it was just starting to get fun meow!!"
"Don't get in our way until we've settled this."
"You fooooools!!! That training equipment you're playing with is the property of the AOU Combined Military, made with the blood and sweat of all taxpayers! There's countless people waiting in line to train with that after you! If you don't get out of those simulators right now, I'll rip out the power cords, tie you up, and leave you hanging outside!!"
"No meow! I'm not stopping 'til I've shown this hick whose better meow!"
"If you get in our way, I'll tell those big-shot Geroy lab coats that you karate chopped me."
"Ihihihihihihihihi!!!"
"Y-You twoooooooooooooo...!!!"

"Huuuh? No one asked you to butt in, Chloe."
"We're high-grade Geroy equipment meow. You think someone like you has the right to tell us what to do meow?"
"You and Okonogi can't tell us what to do. Heheheh."
"Chloe and Okonogi are so useless, *kero*kero*kero*!! Hyahyahya!!"
"I-I may let you make fun of me, b-but I won't let you ignore the Instructor..."
"...Chloe's tone suddenly changed meow."
"That weakling Chloe's gonna try and teach us a lesson."

"You talk tough, b-but you can't do anything..."

"I hear that all high-grade equipment has a miniaturized punishment device embedded in their skulls, so they can be neutralized at any time..."

Lilja:
"Huh? Uh, I-I know that meow... But isn't it only Geroy big-shots who can activate that...?"

"Too bad. I also... have the power...!!"
"W-Wait a sec. P-Please, be reasonable...!"
"Myuuuu?!?! Ch-Chloeeeee, stooooooooop...!!!"

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 26, 2020

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
what year is it

Hopefully the LP will continue now. We've got a lot of fragments to get through.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Don't worry, Quinn, even at the current frequency your updating schedule is still more than most LPers on here ever achieve :v: If you're feeling burned out, I don't think anyone will mind if you take a break.

I finally caught up and, yeah, that was a pretty overwhelming final scene. All I have to add to what's already been said is that the Christmas Party between opposing soldiers during a World War is probably not a coincidence thematically. Of course, it just underlines how completely the Knights' attempts at passive noncompliance have failed: They can't even enforce an actual ceasefire even for a few hours; all they have left is the defiant affirmation of their friendship in the secrecy of a collective dreamworld. History repeating as farce, indeed. (But also an interesting continuation and modification of one of Umineko's major themes: The possibilities and limits of creating another world when the existing world is unbearable)

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Carpator Diei posted:

(But also an interesting continuation and modification of one of Umineko's major themes: The possibilities and limits of creating another world when the existing world is unbearable)

drat this is a good point. The whole post is good, I completely forgot about wartime Christmas ceasefires and whatnot, but for some reason I never really considered that connection between Umineko and Ciconia.

I haven’t read enough Higurashi to try and thread that through the whole WTC series. I suppose you could see its protagonist and antagonist as trying to create another world, but that might be stretching the theme a little too far.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Data Fragment 5: Regarding Rejection Shields

It can supposedly repel all previously existing forms of weaponry poyo. It's well known that this fact was so shocking, it made weapon researchers shut their brains off, calling Gauntlets frauds and the result of too much bragging poyo. That kept on happening, so lots of people still think Gauntlets are no more than a scam poyo.
But of course, even this perfect shield isn't 100% invincible poyo.

Currently, Gauntlet Knights who can perform a Dreissig Conversion have a complete monopoly on its use poyo.
I wanna use a Rejection Shield too poyo!! And I wanna knock back everyone who does a search for how to delete me, or how to find a mod to turn that lovely frog into a hot babe poyooooo!!!

"The Rejection Shield doesn't just block enemy bullets! It also protects you from shrapnel, trash, crows, and scarabaeid beetles!! When you're happily flying at 500 km/h, and someone in front of you flips a quarter into the sky to decide whether or not to email the girl he has a crush on, what do you think's gonna happen to you? You'll be blown to bits!!"

If one wanted to fly through the sky at high speeds without a vehicle, having a Rejection Shield was essential, even outside of combat.

"The trigger for your Rejection Shield will be performed automatically by the software that exists in your brains! In other words, you can deploy shields to protect yourselves from danger without having to think about it! It's incredible!!"
"Of course, you can also use it intentionally. It's like blinking! It'll keep an eye out without your attention, activating reflexively when danger approaches, and you can also activate it consciously!"

With the factory settings, Rejection Shield management software is always set to maximum safety-first mode poyo!
However, you won't be able to go into actual combat like that poyo! After all, with the default settings, if there's even just a single butterfly fluttering 3 meters to your side, you'll blast it away with a shield set to max poyo! If you're all sitting politely in a classroom with Gauntlets on, and someone throws a coin in at you, it'll be one hell of a pinball machine poyo!!

BGM: Welcome to A3W

"Let me make this clear. Basically, the more of a chicken you are, reacting sensitively to things that aren't dangerous, the sooner your shield will explode! In other words, I'll be working your shrimpy, wimpy *kero*kero*s hard until they've become great big throbbing *kero*kero*s!"
"By the end, you'll be able to use minimal levels of output, calmly deflecting just the bullets that would hit you, moving like an expert swordsman! I'll definitely raise all of you to that point!! All you need to decide is how many buckets you'll be filling with puke and coughed-up blood before you reach it...!!!"
As you train, I'll be building up your own personal settings inside your head poyo! All the Keropoyos from the AI Command Center will also be working you all to the bone poyo!!

In other words, with training and experience and adjustments made by mental software, you'd gain the ability to avoid danger using minimal energy, even during fierce battles. Furthermore, the energy levels required could be affected not only by the area and output levels of your shield, but also your emotional state. If you let your guard down or were taken unawares, the energy expended rose drastically. Furthermore, mental discouragement, such as being at a heavy disadvantage with respect to your opponent, could also really drag you down. For that reason, the key to anti-Gauntlet fights was to find ways to hit your opponent with concentrated attacks in a short period of time, neutralizing them by making them use up their energy with their shield.

The Warcats' finishing move of using a barrage of small, high-maneuverability missiles to corner their opponents with simultaneous explosions from all angles could instantly wipe out aces from all factions, if it hit them head on. Hitting a single target with excessive firepower may have been pointless in traditional combat, but it was an important factor in battles between Gauntlet Knights.

Just protecting yourself would be a full load for normal people, so that's just too amazing poyo!
And his partner, Second Lieutenant Jayden, is able to deflect each incoming bullet with super-small shields only a few centimeters in diameter poyo! At that point, he looks just like a street performer poyo!!

By the way, just when Okonogi finally learned how to block in SF9, the blocking input window was increased and more people were able to do it. He didn't like that, so he went around trolling anonymous message boards and saying "9 sucks, Copcam has no idea what they're doing!", even though he still plays it every day poyo!!
"Y-You shut up!!! Who told you to say that, you lovely frog?!! Do a search for how to uninstall you right now!!!"

*keeekekekero*kero*kero*!!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Hello again. I'm just gonna go ahead and make this a once-a-week LP from here on out.

Someone else will have to do Phase 2.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Quinn2win posted:

Hello again. I'm just gonna go ahead and make this a once-a-week LP from here on out.

Someone else will have to do Phase 2.

That's ok. Hope whatever is happening right now for you improves.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Something about Okonogi being a fighting game tryhard is just really wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hope whatever is happening right now for you improves.

Nothing specific is happening for me, aside from the general state of the world in 2020. I just don't have the LP Writing Endurance that carried me through Umineko anymore.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Something about Okonogi being a fighting game tryhard is just really wonderful

Apparently Justin Wong aged VERY gracefully in the A3W era.