Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Quite in awe of the speed and efficiency with which the Lib Dems have driven themselves into the ground again.

I didn't think it was actually possible for them to get worse than the literal homophobe, or the invisible loving man, but somehow they've managed it in the most spectacular fashion.

Sticking all their piss diamond hopes into a Tory golem, only for her to get utterly wrecked by bringing up her actual voting record, and policies consisting of The Thick of It-esque "Skills Wallets", and a loan to "help" people give their landlords a massive payday.

The highlight is them loving themselves on their Brexit positioning by trying to out "Remain" Labour by going full on "Revoke Brexit", and now frantically backpeddling as that option isn't actually that popular.

[e]: 4:19 - The minute, before which, one 4:20's every day.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

namesake posted:

Eh it doesn't really help Labour in any way just to stand down and Raab is poo poo but not exceptionally poo poo for a Tory so it's not really any reason to want to kick him out at any cost.
Raab is a Secretary of State for something or other, so he's not just any tory. Also I want to say he actually is exceptionally poo poo but I can't think offhand of why.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Last GE we had tory posters defaced and lots of complaints about labour members doing it. But no one ever saw it being done. We were sure it was tories doing it themselves to get the publicity.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-a9226291.html :v:

gh0stpinballa posted:

it behooves you as a self-described leftist not to sneer at issues like consent and sexual harassment, imo
I think it's a loving stretch to say that's what I was doing but fair enough, it was a lovely joke.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pilchenstein posted:

Raab is a Secretary of State for something or other, so he's not just any tory. Also I want to say he actually is exceptionally poo poo but I can't think offhand of why.
Well there's this for a start.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1200859408122687489
I know it's probably just Jo;mentum hubris, but please.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Raab is a colossal moron and also bad for the normal Tory reasons. He’s exceptionally poo poo by the standards of the Cameron and May cabinets, less exceptional for the Johnson cabinet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also he looks like agent smith.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Blasmeister posted:

Lmao that the Lib Dem’s tactic of being an inch to the side of remain of labours policy so they can always call themselves The Remain party has hosed themselves like this. I assume the new policy will be 2nd ref BUT WE CAMPAIGN FOR REMAIN now that corbyn has given them a face saving niche to backtrack into.
I mean, how the gently caress is that even going to work? I know in practice the Libs won't get a majority, but if they did:

Option 1: negotiate a deal in bad faith knowing you are campaigning for remain. BBC signal boosts Farage making this point, turnout is lower than 2016, vote remain but country remains divided, next tory government has ANOTHER ref, and so on until the planet burns.

Option 2: referendum on boris's deal vs remain. Everyone goes nuts* and probably votes for boris' deal because will of the public innit. Farage evolves into dynamax form from the online hate.

It's so loving stupid. And it doesn't matter because the Libs can't get a majority, they can only ever prop up the tories who won't allow a second ref ever.

* Content warning for loser Swinson.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1200894864898056192?s=20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Pilchenstein posted:

I think it's a loving stretch to say that's what I was doing but fair enough, it was a lovely joke.

yeah sorry, i misread that there and thought you were saying something else, i was feeling defensive af. my bad.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Terminally woke vs 1990s 'journalism' is one hell of a thing

https://twitter.com/CLIOMCL/status/1200727732109414401?s=20

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean, how the gently caress is that even going to work? I know in practice the Libs won't get a majority, but if they did

From what I can tell, their New Policy is that they will still revoke if they get a majority, but if they don't then they will begrudgingly allow for a referendum instead

the new part of this policy may well just be publicly acknowledging that the second scenario is even possible

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

gh0stpinballa posted:

yeah sorry, i misread that there and thought you were saying something else, i was feeling defensive af. my bad.
We're good mate, I was just being a dickhead I didn't mean it to come off like an attack :hfive:

I knew I'd seen the oval office getting dragged for something recently lol, just too many shitheads to keep track of :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1200733404347670528

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1200853980663996416?s=20

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Again isnt 'making people feel like there's no point in voting because you have lost anyway' a standard astro turfing tactic?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Also he looks like agent smith.
Agent Smth Brn.

Has he come up with a list of who is an isn't Jewish yet? I need to know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1200871289826631680

lol

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Here's a question for the UKMT sages: what's the legality of secretly recording someone and then sticking the video on social media?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Agent Smth Brn.

Has he come up with a list of who is an isn't Jewish yet? I need to know.

Michael Rosen, David Graeber and all those cretins who signed that 'Stop loving dissing labour you absolute shitheads' pledge

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2008/dec/04/nhs-health?CMP=share_btn_tw

quote:

These are the hands

These are the hands
That touch us first
Feel your head
Find the pulse
And make your bed.

These are the hands
That tap your back
Test the skin
Hold your arm
Wheel the bin
Change the bulb
Fix the drip
Pour the jug
Replace your hip.

These are the hands
That fill the bath
Mop the floor
Flick the switch
Soothe the sore
Burn the swabs
Give us a jab
Throw out sharps
Design the lab.

And these are the hands
That stop the leaks
Empty the pan
Wipe the pipes
Carry the can
Clamp the veins
Make the cast
Log the dose
And touch us last.

Pilchenstein posted:

Here's a question for the UKMT sages: what's the legality of secretly recording someone and then sticking the video on social media?

E: It's only illegal if you share it. But like hell are you getting prosecuted.
https://www.dma-law.co.uk/is-it-illegal-to-record-conversations/

EE: I always confuse that douche with Ben Aaranovich and have a moment of doubting when he became a twat.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 30, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Aaronovitch was a massive Iraq war booster and quit the guardian because the rest of the staff hated him for it lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Someone paid to fly a plane over st James park before the Newcastle match today carrying a vote brexit party banner lol

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Pilchenstein posted:

I knew I'd seen the oval office getting dragged for something recently lol, just too many shitheads to keep track of :v:

Dominic 'no man is an island oh poo poo actually we are' Raab:

https://twitter.com/number10cat/status/1060510779642920960?lang=en

And things are going well for him at the local hustings:

https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1199099067852349440

Bonus: Dominic Raab asking "Do you want to get Brexit done?" and being loudly told "No we don't!" :D

https://twitter.com/saira_ramadan/status/1197614243958476802

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Again isnt 'making people feel like there's no point in voting because you have lost anyway' a standard astro turfing tactic?

Yeah, there's been the usual splurge of theatrical sighing, and rolling of eyes, and OpEds telling the young'uns "honestly don't bother, voting's broken, they're a l l t h e s a m e".

WDTATW covered a Susanne Moore one (she's obviously not interested in voting, considering she stood as an indy candidate in Diane Abbott's seat, and roundly got hosed off by 99.4% of the electorate), and I've definitely seen others floating around.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 30, 2019

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/ObserverUK/status/1200878172759195648

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The BBC did a bunch of features about how pointless voting is just before the registration deadline

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Open the goddamn comments you cowards.

quote:

Tragically, this is not just about one man: Labour is now controlled by this thuggish camarilla while frontbench “moderates” passively enable Corbyn. But Britain’s soul is at stake: many decent Labour supporters will surely show that they are better than the racism of their shameful shameless leadership.

And I am still grateful I was born Jewish in Britain.

Simon Sebag Montefiore’s books include Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar and Jerusalem

I'm not sure whether the idea that this kind of smearing is so standard for the 'left wing' Observer or the fact that he might actually believe this is more depressing. But for the (sixth?) time this thead, I'll post this again.

https://twitter.com/davidgraeber/status/1170032483859148800

In other news it looks like Pritstick is getting rightfully dragged for her bullshit and cheap political point scoring

https://twitter.com/patel4witham/status/1200792218749022213

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Sorry kids, you've got to starve because of this thing I made up.

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1200572209464532992

Jews are being used as human shields for a dreadful Conservative government who are using antisemitism as a byword for anti white.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RockyB posted:

quote:

Tragically, this is not just about one man: Labour is now controlled by this thuggish camarilla while frontbench “moderates” passively enable Corbyn. But Britain’s soul is at stake: many decent Labour supporters will surely show that they are better than the racism of their shameful shameless leadership.

And I am still grateful I was born Jewish in Britain.

Simon Sebag Montefiore’s books include Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar and Jerusalem
Countdown to them calling Jon Lansman the true root of all antisemitism.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ms Adequate posted:

Horny is MANDATORY

In Jeremy Corbyn's Britain horny will be forever banned & it's why he has my support despite his obvious antisemitism.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

In Jeremy Corbyn's Britain horny will be forever banned & it's why he has my support despite his obvious antisemitism.

I have a reasonable centrist option that should be able to unite the country on this difficult issue. Inspired by the most logical race in the galaxy, the Vulcans, horny will be permitted once every seven years. For many of you, this will mean much less horny. For me, much, much more.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

yeah i reckon the bloke who is onto his 3rd and now much younger wife has a problem with horny

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

gently caress I guess I'm a Tory now

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Novara getting some City reckons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yneVxhXMUO0

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
A friend who works in the NHS posted this tonight and is good with it being shared so long as it doesn't have her name attached. Hopefully it might be useful for some of you who're talking to undecided family/friends/coworkers etc:

quote:

Hi all. I am probably preaching to the converted but maybe this will be useful to some of you when talking to more undecided voters.

It's about the NHS. For those who don't know, I'm an analyst who works on healthcare in the UK. That's literally my job. I'm an expert. And it's entirely possible people might not want to hear what I'm about to say but if you care about the NHS, if you want it to survive and treat you and loved ones free at the point of use then you have to act.

The truth is simple: the Tories are wrecking the NHS and Brexit, unless it's the very very softest version, will make this worse. I'm not scaremongering. However bad you think things are in the NHS, I guarantee you they are worse.

- Nurses, healthcare professionals, porters and administrators across the Northern Ireland NHS are due to go on strike in a matter of days. The strike is set to involve nurses refusing to do any work except directly care for patients (no admin, no making beds, etc).

- The NHS mental health service inpatient service in the north east of England almost completely fell over earlier this year when a single private mental health unit was closed and its patients sent to the NHS. It's being investigated to see whether this has resulted in deaths.

- Heard about 'winter pressures' in the NHS? That term isn't really used anymore. This is because 'winter pressures' levels of stress on the system are now year-round in all areas.

- There are huge numbers of vacancies for doctors, nurses, etc. But we don't know how accurate these figures are cos there are an unknown number of cases where a vacancy is advertised, no one applies for the job, so the hospital just gets rid of the job (the patient need doesn't go away).

- There are whole regions where if you asked those of us in the know what was the best way to get good treatment locally the honest answer would be "Move to another city".

Also a lot of the claims the Tories have made about not cutting funds to the NHS must be caveated with the fact they've hacked social care funding to pieces and expected the NHS to pick it up, so actually there's been huge cuts. Any hospital worker can tell you about the beds occupied by people who don't need to be in hospital but can't be discharged cos there's not enough social care beds/spaces to take them.

Take this information, and all the stuff already widely spread in the media (staffing shortages, underfunding, threats to NHS pricing and services via Brexit trade deals, etc) and decide what matters most to you. But if you want to protect and preserve the NHS don't vote Tory or Brexit/UKIP. I'll leave it up to you what you do with that vote beyond that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

yeah i reckon the bloke who is onto his 3rd and now much younger wife has a problem with horny

His previous wives just left him because he refused to be horny actually. He just wanted someone to talk to while he makes jam.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The conflation of Jeremy Corbyn, horny and jam is doing things to me. Add in a manhole and you've got yourself a real party.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'll have you know Jeremy Corbyn beat off 100 men to get his wife

oh wait, he helped her sister find her abducted daughter, classic jeremy

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

That's very close to my current office. I would happily have given them just as many up-the-corbyn quotes as the last guy if they weren't floating around at 3pm :(

Going after that key 'banker going back to the office after a 3pm liquid lunch' demographic I guess.

E: Seriously tempted to give the cobbler a good thumbs up next time I see him though. I walk past that place (at the Liverpool Street tube station) every day.

EE: See clock in the background on the royal exchange building. It's p. much the first thing visible once you get out of the bank tube exit. And yup, that homeless guy is pretty much either there or huddled on the steps every day.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 1, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

RockyB posted:

That's very close to my current office. I would happily have given them just as many up-the-corbyn quotes as the last guy if they weren't floating around at 3pm :(

Going after that the key 'banker going back to the office after a 3pm liquid lunch' demographic I guess.

I liked the implication that there's a lot of (probably younger) people in finance who want Labour to win and are totally fine with earning slightly less money if it turns the whole country around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Horny is MANDATORY

I feel like open and honest horny with no judgement or pressure would be radically good for society