Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Surprise T Rex posted:

"You say no billionaires, Jemery but you yourself have up to 3 millian poonds!"

I feel like people just don't understand how much more money a billion is than a million.

Most of which is due to having owned a house in Islington forever.

Might as well say "you own an old car worth at least £1k so you're basically the same as a millionaire"

e: 4 - the number of General Elections I'll have voted in by the end of the year

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Continuity RCP posted:

I mean there's a list of LM issues and their contents and her name isn't on any of them. Probably used a different name

I had to check Powerbase, because it's generally a great resource for keeping tags on those ex-RCP gobshites. Mirza is one of the younger members, probably joining up in university in the late 90s, she started working for Culture Wars in 1999 but they have no listings for her writing in LM. So to be honest, she seems to have hooked up with them after they overthrew their Trot remnants.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/swurllvanilla/status/1189886387803193344?s=20

and of course

https://twitter.com/Sonic_Screwup/status/1189912604275290119?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

pablo gbscobar posted:

Getting in on the ground floor of what is sure to be one of the most legendary editions of this thread yet.

Here is a picture of Jo Swinson holding milk. May it grow wings and fly :redflag:

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is where we need a new Carl Sagan to explain large numbers to people. Definitely not NDT
The sun has a volume a million times that of the earth. In comparison, imagine a star with a volume a billion times that of the earth, such a star would cover half the sky and burn the surface of the earth to a crisp, before collapsing into a black hole. Billionaires should be placed in this star.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HorseLord posted:

I've never been chased out of UKMT

Yes you have you oval office

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
no i haven't. is this some sort of ploy to get me to post here regularly again?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

hey everyone it's feel-good friday in the UK megathread

(you cunts)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Extremely cursed

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

i thought this thing was called archwood for like ten years

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Maugrim posted:

There was a good graphic doing the rounds showing the difference between a million and a billion in piles of cash notes, but I can't remember where I saw it - if anyone else does it could be a good addition to the list of resources that someone is definitely compiling by now, right? (I'd volunteer but don't get much time at the PC atm)
This?

Also a rare photo of Dom Cum in full election strategy mode.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this definitely needs to be in some labour adverts

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1190191764738428929?s=20

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Maugrim posted:

There was a good graphic doing the rounds showing the difference between a million and a billion in piles of cash notes, but I can't remember where I saw it - if anyone else does it could be a good addition to the list of resources that someone is definitely compiling by now, right? (I'd volunteer but don't get much time at the PC atm)

it was attached to some bullshit 'wow wouldnt it be good if you had a billion dollars its not that much really!!' so i stripped all that out

use million against billion for best effect

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Does anyone have a link to the brexit violence poll or the images from them? You know the ones, the 5% of folk ready to throw down irrelevant of the outcome of Brexit.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

ill be ur friend horselord, i can't remember your crimes anyway

how are you doing today

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

HorseLord posted:

I've never been chased out of UKMT, and in fact i don't know who you are

if you've got archives you can look back through my post history and find the entire conversation i was alluding to if you want. said holocaust denier justified himself as "challenging tankies on their bullshit", which, you know, is a hell of an excuse for insisting the nazis didn't gas people in vans

does tintower still post in here? i know a lot of mileage was gotten out of that coconut thing

Of course you don't know who I am, because I am not a noisy oval office like you. I'm merely someone who had to read your shite and is glad you're gone.

You made the accusation, you dig it up. And I wasn't suggesting it was false, I said that it was uselessly vague. As are you.

And good job, arguing that an unrepentant racist should be quietly forgiven despite refusing to acknowledge or admit fault really helps your cause.

As for:

HorseLord posted:

I've never been chased out of UKMT

Would anyone like to fact check that?

Oh, here we go:

Rarity posted:

Yes you have you oval office

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
a great way to explain that we don't have a good intuitive understanding of millions to billions to family and friends to say 'you remember what you did a million seconds ago, because that was 11 days - you know we went to the pub, whatever'.

You then say (and this definetely works best if the family member/friend is younger than 31 years old) 'you probably dont remember a billion seconds ago because you didn't exist/the berlin wall hadn't fallen yet'

edit: also this means that a trillion is 32,000 years or about 7 times older than the pyramids. The F35 just oozes value.

atal fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 1, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HorseLord posted:

I've never been chased out of UKMT, and in fact i don't know who you are

if you've got archives you can look back through my post history and find the entire conversation i was alluding to if you want. said holocaust denier justified himself as "challenging tankies on their bullshit", which, you know, is a hell of an excuse for insisting the nazis didn't gas people in vans

does tintower still post in here? i know a lot of mileage was gotten out of that coconut thing

TinTower hasn't posted in UKMT in ages but she is still active on other parts of the forum.

Where do you stand on the Katyn massacre?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jose posted:

Fair play, LBD have actually done a decent advert there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

christ there is so much poo poo going on rn

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1190037438833528832?s=20

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Does anyone have a link to the brexit violence poll or the images from them? You know the ones, the 5% of folk ready to throw down irrelevant of the outcome of Brexit.

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/1708631/Copy-of-England-16-Oct-AH.pdf

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So bets on people, will Fromage suggest a pact or go whole hog?

crispix said it would be the height of stupidity to pact because Farage wants us to stay in the EU to keep his grift going. I tend to agree.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
We will find out at 11 :brexit:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

atal posted:

a great way to explain that we don't have a good intuitive understanding of millions to billions to family and friends to say 'you remember what you did a million seconds ago, because that was 11 days - you know we went to the pub, whatever'.

You then say (and this definetely works best if the family member/friend is younger than 31 years old) 'you probably dont remember a billion seconds ago because you didn't exist/the berlin wall hadn't fallen yet'

edit: also this means that a trillion is 32,000 years or about 7 times older than the pyramids. The F35 just oozes value.

My favourite is to get someone imagining earning £250,000 a year. That's rich people money. You've Made It. On that money you can buy a big house in the country and fill it with anything you could want.

If you saved all of your income, without spending or being taxed a single penny, then to amass one billion pounds would take you four thousand years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Man I wanna join the “I hope everyone dies gently caress you” caucus

Also HorseLord stop inciting dumb slapfights and post productively.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doccykins posted:

We will find out at 11 :brexit:

Well yes I'm asking for people's predictions prior to it!! No point guessing afterwards.

Although given Farage's vague noncommittal shite so far, maybe we will still be guessing afterwards to.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

starmer breaking a million FBPE brains here

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1190045091190190080

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jose posted:

Oh my god, I am never going to live this down. I'm never speaking truth to power again!

This is really going to take some of the old Cummies magic to sort out.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Continuity RCP posted:

I mean there's a list of LM issues and their contents and her name isn't on any of them. Probably used a different name

Go here:

https://www.spiked-online.com/author/munira-mirza/

I clicked on a couple and they have her name on them.

Separately:

This popped up:

http://www.socialaffairsunit.org.uk/blog/archives/001779.php
What is it about London Mayors and Marxist Sects? Boris Johnson, Munira Mirza, the Revolutionary Communist Party and the delayed coming of history
Posted by Michael Mosbacher

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Go here:

https://www.spiked-online.com/author/munira-mirza/

I clicked on a couple and they have her name on them.

It's specifically LM articles I was looking for. Basically I don't think she ever actually wrote for that magazine or that the RCP were a trot group when she was associated with them

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao the fubpees are so angry about him attacking their queen of piss diamonds

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Obligatory "mods change my name to "I want this to happen regardless of Brexit"".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Continuity RCP posted:

It's specifically LM articles I was looking for. Basically I don't think she ever actually wrote for that magazine or that the RCP were a trot group when she was associated with them

This is correct as far as I can see.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Continuity RCP posted:

OK sorry misunderstood!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

andrew lilco coming out in giving back all the stolen property in british museums shocker

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1190208399406960641?s=20

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Free Milk For All Toddlers.
*5 seconds later*
We regret to inform you milk is now £9,000.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Re million vs billion, I like this analogy from some dude on reddit

quote:

Billionaries aren't just a policy failure, they are the embodiment of immorality. You can't be a billionaire and a good person, despite what their astroturfing PR teams on reddit may try to tell you for some of the 'good ones'.

It's literally impossible to accumulate that much wealth without the mass exploitation of others and the profits their labor generated. Not to mention the exploitation of the earth until it's uninhabitable for human life.

George Washington was the richest man in the country when the US was founded, and he "only" had today's equivalent of 500 million. That wouldn't even get him in the room with some of these ghouls today.

If people only understood just how obscenely rich these monsters were, they wouldn't be able to show their face in society while millions suffer. I like to use the analogy of a staircase, with each step on the staircase representing $100,000 of net worth. That's several years of working wages saved up for tens of millions of Americans:

HALF of people in the united states are on the base or the very 1st step. Almost 200 million people who can't even get one step up in this system.

Those households at the 80th percentile, richer than 4/5 Americans, are on the 5th step. That's about five seconds of walking to get up there.

Those with more money than 90% of fellow Americans, millionaires who we consider our upper-middle class professional class and live more than comfortably, are on the 11th step. A few more seconds of walking up from that previous middle-class step. Most Americans won't even come close to accumulating this much over an entire lifetime of working.

A billionaire is ten thousand steps up the staircase. That's enough to walk up five Empire State buildings. That's almost three hours of walking non-stop. You think they care about the petty squabbles of anyone on those first few steps or so? From these heights they couldn't tell the difference even if they wanted to. And yet those who've maybe ascended or were born on the first few dozen steps think they identify with this group as a class.

And Jeff Bezos? He's so high up it only makes sense to describe his staircase in distance. His stairs take him up 133 miles. That's more than halfway to the space station. That's more than 24 consecutive Mt. Everest's stacked on top of each other. It would take walking, non-stop, no sleep, over two weeks to ascend that high, each single step worth more than five poverty-level families in America combined.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jose posted:

andrew lilco coming out in giving back all the stolen property in british museums shocker

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1190208399406960641?s=20

Also giving back the commons. Good job Andrew.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Eschenique posted:

Then people link pictures of his million pound house and it looks like some Soviet era community project.

It's actually a pretty interesting "cottage flat", the missing link between prefabs and LPS tower blocks. Not sure if it's an original 1950s one or one from their 1970s revival (probably the latter because some of the neighbouring homes have ground-floor garages) but they're about the best-built social housing ever made in the UK.

Thanks for reminding me they exist and adding yet another derail to the already massively-derailed council house post I was drafting.