Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Hello Momentum #tech heads, I have done a NumberOfGoons++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Ms Adequate posted:

I've only done One Goon :smith:

That's still incredibly brave, imo

This was a fun exchange as part of the whole getvoting dot org blowup:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Borrovan posted:

Genuine question, how do people balance this? I've always been an all-or-nothing kind of person and repeatedly cycle through fight hard -> burn out -> recovery periods. It's effective as long as I get phase 3 right, but it's not particularly healthy

I'm still bad at it but getting better by trying to be more aware of the signs I'm burning out. I still end up arguing with shitheads who yell "antisemitism" as soon as they have to admit the Lib Dems have blood on their hands, but much less often.

I also got a lot more into the cultural side of software development/management about 3 years ago and that has given me a ton of tools for keeping an eye on myself as well as the folks I work with and look out for. Make checking in with yourself at least a few times a day part of your routine. Set reminders if you have to, especially if there's particular times of the day you find yourself doing emotionally exhausting stuff.

It's also cool and good to walk away, and remembering this has never made me think "I wish I'd said x" later on. "OK, Boomer" feels wonderful and I'm trying to not use all mine up in one go.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Thanks to whoever recommended donoteat's series Cities Skylines: Power, Politics, & Planning

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwkSQD3vqK1S1NiHIxxF2g_Uy-LbbcR84

It's super interesting and owns