Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
reposting this on the first page, i forget who made this

also someone explain the thread title to me because i am dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

chestnut santabag posted:

Dear OP, throw me on the loving list for Wimbledon.

Sorry to hear you're standing down Stephen

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm unbelievably excited about the Jo; campaign‽

Sanford posted:

Uuurgh my constituency is Bolsover and if Dennis stands down we could end up with a BXP MP. I'd never live with the shame.

I'm pretty sure at this point Dennis is going to stay as an MP until he literally dies on the bench

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

(also while tracking this down I found Azza's giant Brexit So Far summary post which might be worth putting in the OP? for those just tuning in to the UK shagging itself in the slowest, most painful way possible))

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

CGI Stardust posted:

thank you! you're a good lad/lass/other, VG

As VideoGames is clearly a pink blob from Planet Popstar and I'll hear no contradictory evidence, I looked up what Kirby's official gender is (localised male, but not specified in Japan) and found this very useful diagram on Wikipedia

thanks, wikipedia. this has nothing to do with UK politics but i feel this information is important for all.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

I think this means a Kirby has the ability to change its gendered characters based on its nutritional intake

this is good because conventional HRT didn't work out very well for Kirby. I hear they were prescribed spiro one time, but got confused about the process and ended up just turning into a dragon

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

isn't that what would happen if Kirby wore the crown? Surely if Kirby ate the crown it would gain the powers of the Crown and people could wear it to become like Kirby. in this hundred-thousand word illustrated fanfiction epic, I will

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

I thought I'd feel really bad about this election and I'm still sensibly pessimistic but I'm surprised and pleased to find how much it's put wind in my sails.

I've been spoiling for a loving fight for years, feels good

I'm a strange mixture of hopeful that some things might go well, excited about the Absolute Scenes that will inevitably come from an election process, exhausted in advance of having to sit through actual campaigning, and dreading the possibility that those predictions might be true about the tories going big against trans people to get the culture war vote energised, that's going to be fun, and mostly just trying not to think about what happens if the tories get a majority for the sake of my general sanity

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Come to think of it, it might be a good idea for the OP to contain a general reminder to keep good care of your own mental health as a top priority. The election period is going to be stressful for a lot of people and it can often feel like you're obliged to pay attention to all the bad stuff that's happening and go above and beyond your own capacity for doing stuff to help, but wearing yourself out and ruining your own mental health isn't actually a good thing to do or to aim for. it's okay to switch off for a while and come back stronger. something along those lines, maybe put some numbers to helpines, even.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

in terms of their intentions at least, the lib dem membership is probably self-selected for people not keen on the argument that third parties should stand down and let the bigger two fight it out. i'd imagine they have a few chips on their shoulder about that sort of thing.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i hope the guy with the stig avatar comes back, posts a very angry long paragraph about how we're all stupid commies, and then leaves again for another year or so

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Could someone write something for this, I don't know any of the good numbers and the Establishment NHS frowns upon my personal thoughts.

Ok here's my synthesis of mine and Tigey's posts. (also lol at that kelly edit i made ages ago coming back to haunt me and still being relevant after all these years. though i guess the party being referred to in the leftmost cloud has changed somewhat.) Those in the know let me know all if there's anything needs added/taken away, i'm not a mental health professional so most of this advice is second hand:

Hi everyone! In these wild times please remember to take good care of your own mental health. This election period is going to be an absolute emotional rollercoaster, regardless of the result. There is so much at stake, both generally in the country and personally for many of us, and there are bound to be further massive highs and depressing lows as the election carries on. There will be no shortage of things happening and people saying things and stuff you could be thinking about or potentially doing to help. There will be no shortage of tedious arguments where people speak past each other or wild brawls where people accuse each other of being responsible for society's ills.

In all of this it can often feel like you're obliged to pay attention to all of the stuff going on. It can often feel like you have to exhaust yourself in order to dedicate every last drop of energy you have towards the election. There may well be times when you find yourself unable to think about anything else, constantly refreshing livefeeds or searching out new horrible things that you know will make you angry or sad and that there is nothing you can do about. This isn't healthy - don't do it.

Please make sure you are taking enough time away from politics over the next few weeks to avoid damage to your own emotional wellbeing/mental health. It's good for you, and even if you don't care about yourself it's good for those around you as well. Whatever happens we're all going to need people who care about stuff, and we're going to need a good chunk of those people to be able to get up in the morning.

If you're feeling overwhelmed or need someone to talk to, there are details of helplines you can call here, here and here.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

I had a blast recording this ep, friends. Obviously I'm biased but I think it's a really good one.

i can't wait until everybody in the forums has kirby avatars and the forum just becomes a kirby fansite with occasional derails about politics

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Braggart posted:

Well thank you, it's lovely. And I live in Scotland, where we do always thank the bus driver :D

torn by the new edinburgh buses with the separate doors for leaving, slightly more efficient but also makes it difficult to thank the driver without shouting across the length of the bus, and it just doesn't do to make a scene now does it, what would society think

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

TwoShanks posted:

Sorry this is a bit white noise, which is why I don't post

looks like a post about uk politics in the uk politics thread to me, go right on ahead. :justpost:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

What's this guy's plan to stop hospital parking being a "subsidy on the rich"? An elaborate means-testing office attached to every hospital parking lot determining whether you're poor enough to get free parking?

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure this is the place to say that LGBs aren't human and are also trans exclusionary, but you do you.

I can see how their post would be confusing if you haven't been following twitter drama, but "the LGB Alliance" they refer to is a specific organisation that sprung up the other week with a twitter account and glowing articles in the press. it's a tiny organisation whose entire purpose is bashing trans people and represents the actual population of lesbians, gays and bisexuals about as much as The Taxpayer's Alliance represents all people who have ever paid a tax. probably worse

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Like, I definitely agree that public transport to hospitals should be a big priority (along with public transport everywhere), but it is in fact possible to care about two things at once (e: this was a response to the guy's article where he says that, not Lightning Knight)

ronya posted:

A leak:

I love "Q. Donations from X?". They don't even have a specific person in mind, they just know that someone's donations are going to be ethically questionable, probably many people

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 2, 2019

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I think the debates should be a big mess of all the parties all yelling at each other. I say this because I think televised leadership debates are bad in the first place so they might as well go all the way

Really as much as Swinson is silly I don't really like the way that what happens in the debates is dependent on what the big parties want to happen. if we're going to have debates, if we really loving have to, then the parties should be dragged kicking and screaming into having them against their will

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Also is anyone else getting Error 502 Bad Gateway all the drat time. The posts do still seem to be going through when that happens so watch out for that

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

wings over scotland has always been garbage but idg why they appear to have completely jettisoned the whole indy thing now to focus on out and out transphobia

have we talked about Joanna Cherry interpreting a recent Internet Meme of the labour candidate holding cillit bang with "bang and the TERF is gone" as a misogynistic death threat to shoot her (with a gun because guns go bang) yet

i mean we don't have to but i want for the historical record my reaction to be recorded historically: lol

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

kingturnip posted:

The only people who care about 'controversial' things posted on Twitter are the people who post those things on Twitter.
Posting their sleep-sharts here, or responding in any way to the dreck they spend their day spamming their bandwidth with is A) a literal waste of bandwidth of everyone who visits this thread; and B) giving these attention-seeking shitheads exactly what they want.

Joanna Cherry is a sitting mp and a potential successor for leader of the largest party in Scotland. Her lovely opinions about trans people, sadly, matter

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

that headline in the bottom right is not to be missed. have they found out about our bean activities

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Chucat posted:

and they go "But what if it did, don't you care about women?"

my succinct answer to this exciting scenario (video probably on the NSFW side I guess)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

We need a plural they next.

Do we go with theys or th'all? important decisions for the next generation

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Does anyone want some charts? The general patterns won't be particularly surprising to most of you but they're interesting to see

https://twitter.com/undertheraedar/status/1190955123062784001

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

"it's labelled on there what the question is", yes because literally everyone who sees a leaflet will be analysing the small print for potential statistical meddling, this is a normal activity that most voters will bother to do, no ethics problems here no

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Poison Jam posted:

That's a bit of a ripoff unless theyre giving everybody green crack

Weed for some, miniature union jacks for others

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

XMNN posted:

just ran into some labour canvassers when I was out for a walk and got the guys number :thumbsup:

is this for dating or campaign volunteering or both

whichever way good job well done

e: 31 is Turkish slang for male masturbation ("otuzbir")[citation needed]

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

what happened to pissflaps anyway

The real question is, what is going to happen to pissflaps, and the answer is this:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hes got 500 vites to unban him and is at an 80%unban 20% ban ratio so hell be back shortly

are you in charge of poll analysis for the lib dems

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

This is my favourite Jo Swinson video

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jo-swinson-close-tears-loses-5657653

Anyone have the full version? This is the best I could find, shame not to have her full reaction.

As a general heads-up for people looking for old declarations, the full election night coverages for I think every year is findable on youtube, so coupled with the expected declaration times for East Dunbartonshire I found this. It has some more of the lead-in, though it still cuts off at the same time.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's no way the Barclays will get 100m for the Torygraph, its circulation is (literally) dying and it's long been replaced by the Times as the Tory house rag so it doesn't even have the shortcut to power that it had when they bought it (and completely hosed up the sports coverage, which was - seriously - how it had fended off the Times for so long). They also pissed the massive lead it had in online news down their legs. Even so I'm sure he could have laid his hands on the money "somehow", but I think you're right about it being just him keeping his massive sweaty slab of a face in the media now he's fallen out of favour.

Sports coverage £2
Online news £3
Cosying up with Tories £20
Matt cartoons £350,000

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my circulation is dying

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

when will the proposals for Brexit finally be racist enough for Nigel to be able to call it a Brexit

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Lol that you think it's only £350k.

I knew it was some entirely ridiculous number ending in -50k but there was still some part of my brain that wanted to hold on to the world only being mostly insane, I guess

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Random Integer posted:

Is Glinner still being a bigot on the internet or did he log off like he kept promising to?

i took a brief look at his twitter account and the answer will not surprise you

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

it's officially christmas by the metrics of seasonal drinks at costa

their "bonfire spice" didn't even last until bonfire day. shocking. writing to my mp while i still have one

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I feel like every time a political party finds a single poll that says that those surveyed think somewhat highly of the leader they decide to turn up the Cult Of Personality dial to maximum. No possible ways this could backfire this time, clearly the public madly love this one individual unconditionally and forever.

On a related note, i'm waiting to see what angle Ruth Davidson's Scottish Conservative Ruth Davidson Party go with now that she's gone. She was their whole campaign for years.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

The line of the window just where her mouth is is strangely unnerving. Not sure if there is really a good solution to where to place that big line over your picture but still. If only the window opened upwards you could move it up and down to make it look like Bus Swinson was talking

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

The line of the window just where her mouth is is strangely unnerving. Not sure if there is really a good solution to where to place that big line over your picture but still. If only the window opened upwards you could move it up and down to make it look like Bus Swinson was talking

I just realised this was exactly what the previous poster meant by "Canadian" and indeed the whole point of posting that image in the first place. I am very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012